Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Wow, that brings me back to when I got the Gamecube and I saw all the ports on it for future attachments. My spoiled teenage mind expected something like what we have today with the Switch from that big box of golden pins.

I also believed that SpaceWorld 2000 Link/Ganondorf battle was gameplay so :shrug:

What a dumb snipe. So does anyone believe the hype that Nintendo will use the Mario movie(s) as the first installment(s) in the NCU leading to a LoZ and eventual Smash Bros movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think zelda was gonna be a netflix series

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'd watch a Zelda movie but only if it was about Tingle's exploits.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Gigaquad is a work of art

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

superjew posted:

Wow, that brings me back to when I got the Gamecube and I saw all the ports on it for future attachments. My spoiled teenage mind expected something like what we have today with the Switch from that big box of golden pins.

I also believed that SpaceWorld 2000 Link/Ganondorf battle was gameplay so :shrug:

What a dumb snipe. So does anyone believe the hype that Nintendo will use the Mario movie(s) as the first installment(s) in the NCU leading to a LoZ and eventual Smash Bros movie?

I believe this is 100% the plan, yes.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Phase one: Mario, Zelda, StarFox, Kirby, maybe Pokemon?

Metroid would be harder to work in, since it takes place in the future and not some alternate world. The last Mario trailer had peach talk about how many galaxies there were, that sounds like a mechanism for all these characters existing in the same universe to me.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Tingle out from the shadows. "I'm assembling a team..." Then he drives a kart off a rainbow

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Phase one: Mario, Zelda, StarFox, Kirby, maybe Pokemon?

Metroid would be harder to work in, since it takes place in the future and not some alternate world. The last Mario trailer had peach talk about how many galaxies there were, that sounds like a mechanism for all these characters existing in the same universe to me.

Could be. I thought she was just referencing Mario Galaxy. :shrug:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Netflix Presents: The Legend of Zelda: Groose is Loose

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I believe this is 100% the plan, yes.

They did add Illumination's CEO to the board of directors.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly, I hadn't thought about them expanding the movies through the rest of their properties. I could see a silent Link working in something like a separate anime style film, but I don't see that fitting with what we've seen of the Mario movie. So that leads to the question, who does the voice?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
H Jon Benjamin

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly, I hadn't thought about them expanding the movies through the rest of their properties. I could see a silent Link working in something like a separate anime style film, but I don't see that fitting with what we've seen of the Mario movie. So that leads to the question, who does the voice?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDPRwLlpdTU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

H Jon Benjamin

Zelda? ZELDA! huh, that's funny, she was just here.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

superjew posted:

That sounds antithetical to everything else about how Nintendo as a company generally deals with the story and overall context of their franchises. They barely are willing to accept continuity between games, much less find a way to put their games into an actual shared universe together. Every Smash Brothers story more complex than the Master Hand with a box of toys has been pretty dumb.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SlothfulCobra posted:

That sounds antithetical to everything else about how Nintendo as a company generally deals with the story and overall context of their franchises. They barely are willing to accept continuity between games, much less find a way to put their games into an actual shared universe together. Every Smash Brothers story more complex than the Master Hand with a box of toys has been pretty dumb.

I mean every Smash Bros story has been the same thing in Brawl/4/Ult. Something invades Smash land and you gotta fight it!

That's about the entire extent of it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

H Jon Benjamin

...gently caress, THAT'S who should have voiced Mario! Dude excels at being a lovable blue collar everyman who sometimes devolves into histrionics. You know, when he's not being Sterling Archer anyway

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Asterite34 posted:

...gently caress, THAT'S who should have voiced Mario! Dude excels at being a lovable blue collar everyman who sometimes devolves into histrionics. You know, when he's not being Sterling Archer anyway

This is my favorite chapter of his memoir. Jon Benjamin is great and should voice every character in every movie.

https://imgur.com/a/BIpdmaX

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 23, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that a Super Smash Bros movie in particular would be unlikely. Never say never, but I don't think that the Illumination Super Mario Bros film is meant to tie into anything, except insofar as it's extremely difficult to foreclose the possibility of a sequel to a Mario thing. However, Nintendo does want to capitalize on their valuable IPs in other media. As I understand it, there was a Zelda series in development at Netflix, but Nintendo pulled the plug because the existence of the project was leaked. They don't want to get yanked around by their production partners. So whatever happens, we probably won't hear much about it until it's nearly done.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

brap posted:

It has one simple problem which is it’s difficult to see that you can go under one of the platforms which was lifted by the water. It’s generally more difficult for players to notice information above and below them instead of in front of them. Missing this fact can have you going around in circles for hours. The 3DS version addresses it by making the camera linger on the space under the platform after it is raised.

Iron boots and water level menuing were rear end and I’m sure its reputation would have been way better if the water controls were just crystals that you whack and the boots were a C button item. You can learn to endure a game wasting your time but generally you shouldn’t have to.

oracle of ages also had this puzzle except its 2d so its even trickier to make the connection

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you have to walk over the platform when you enter room and you've already been shown that platforms like it float on water, this is a simple issue of skill

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Gigaquad is a work of art

I love introducing the Gigaquad to non-goons any time Four Swords Adventures gets mentioned. I link them the first video of that LP and the reaction is invariably :tviv:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

superjew posted:

I'd be an absolute sucker for it, so I hope they do. At the very least, they'll build to a Donkey Kong flick and a whole Mario universe crossover, I'd wager. The greater Nintendo world I kinda' doubt, since a Zelda or Metroid movie wouldn't be well served by the tone of the Mario movie's universe.

Moving on, I've been playing Ocarina of Time 3D every morning as I have my tea and boy howdy is it hard going back to super linear Zelda after playing Breath of the Wild.

They finally gave me back that feeling I had playing Zeldas 1 and 2 as a kid (though in the latter case it was mostly an illusion) and I sincerely hope we don't go back to the LTTP formula that was in place for nearly twenty years.

I know old school Zelda dungeons are everybody's big hope, but if they have to, I hope they integrate them into the overworld in a way that doesn't feel like "stop exploring this world to go play a level of a video game."

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I get you about LTTP, though the speedrun route is so burned into my brain that I think.. hey, you can play the Dark World dungeons in the order 1-4-3-5-2-6-7. Nonlinear!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I hope they do make a Super Smash Bros movie and it's just 90 minutes of Nintendo characters whaling on each other and/or master hand. No other plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytQSGg3W-W0

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
There's already a Zelda movie. It's called Legend.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Or The Black Cauldron.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SyRauk posted:

There's already a Zelda movie. It's called Legend.
Rumor even has it, they literally based the game series on the flick.

But yeah. It's absolutely a Legend of Zelda movie, though one where Zelda's not terribly bright, and worse than completely useless because she causes the giant world-ending crisis to begin with.

It also has a kickin' rad Tangerine Dream soundtrack and any fan should check it out.

Edit: You all need Tim Curry as Ganon in your lives.

Edit edit: The director's cut doesn't have the awesome soundtrack and the added scenes add nothing at all to the film.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 27, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Anyone end up playing Blossom Tales 2? I just saw it's on sale on Steam. I played the first one in the past year or two, I think it was on the short and simple side but I remember enjoying it pretty well.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I played it, it's very similar to the first one (maybe a bit longer? Not sure). On the short side but a fun zelda-like.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

This is more of a general games discussion, but is it accurate that there have been many fewer games imitating Zelda than Metroidvania games? I feel like that is the case, which seems weird. I can't think of any other significant Japanese franchises like it except Mana to an extent. American games you have Binding of Isaac, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head. Link to the Past is such a platonic ideal of a video game you'd think there would have been more clones of it but not really

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Garden Story combines Zelda exploration with town-based sidequesting and gathering. I really enjoyed it. It's not too hard but it's a decent length.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the DNA of Zelda is already in so much of the videogame industry it's kinda hard to say what counts as Zelda-like or not. I guess a large part is the fact that the Zelda series has changed and adapted enough over time that it doesn't have the same sort of one central gimmick to copy. Like it can't claim all hack and slash gameplay as its own, but then things like a big overworld with dungeons you find doesn't seem unique enough? The original Zelda seems the most unique one, but it's unique in a weird way that's hard to pin down, and the Zelda franchise had been moving away from that for a long while anyways before BOTW brought it back into focus.

Most of the explosion of Metroidvanias is from indy games using the genre as a way to be fancy while having less graphical demands. 3D is hard. Maybe it'd make sense for them to copy the top-down isometric graphics of the earlier Zeldas, but I guess jrpgs kind of stole that whole aesthetic as their thing instead.

Okami is the only game I really think of as copying a lot of Zelda.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
There's a bunch of indie Zelda clones. Ittle Dew and Blossom Tales and their respective sequels come to mind. Blue Fire is a 3D Zelda-like.

The indie Metroidvania explosion came in part because we were no longer getting Metroid or Castlevania games for a period of time. Zelda games may be a bit further apart in releases but they're not going anywhere.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
:popclap: at the unleaked dark link-esque mirror-fight with shadow Tingle, hoping it means we get a balloon item

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What? Is that a real thing?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you believe it with me, it will manifest

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Sigh... In Skyward Sword, just spent about an hour in the Fire Sanctuary room with all the water fruit. Tried every item on various ways, backtracked to get 3 bottles of water to splash on the frog, re-searched the entire dungeon. Finally gave up & checked Gamefaqs, first comment:

stab the fruit

Ffffffff

Could Fi really have not told me something there? She tells me every little thing otherwise.

"Master Link, that is a bridge. You can use it to cross the water. There is an 85% chance that it was built by an ancient civilization"

But she can't reference an obscure technique that I haven't needed to use for 20+ hours of gameplay?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

I dunno, stabbing isn't THAT obscure, is there another way to kill Beemos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I dunno, stabbing isn't THAT obscure, is there another way to kill Beemos?

Knowing you can stab stuff and carry it on your sword isn't really commonly used.