Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Is this an alright thread to ask for recommendations on shows or movies in the series? I haven’t really had much exposure to Gundam, but not too long ago I saw some random snippets of Hathaway and the animation blew me away. So I watched the movie and it ruled. The zero g combat, the human perspective of the battles, and the sheer quality of animation left me very impressed.

Is there anything else within the franchise that has similar strengths? I watched The Witch of Mercury since that’s what social feeds are all talking about right now, but it didn’t scratch the same itch.

I think War in the Pocket sounds like you might like it. Six episodes, focused on the impact of war on civilians. Maybe Thunderbolt too, if you want a little less talk and a little more action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thunderbolt or War in the Pocket for opposite ends of the spectrum in how to portray War as Hell. Unicorn has a lot of continuity behind it but can be watched on its own and features some fantastic animation and fight scenes.

As much as there's talk about continuity and viewing lists, your best bet is to just find a show that looks interesting and try it out. Gundam is not so impenetrable because it expects you to know 40 years of continuity to appreciate a given show. It's just the sheer volume of stuff that can overwhelm you.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Also under no circumstances should you watch a SD Gundam show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is tangential but what exactly is the deal with Unicorn 2? It often gets tossed around as something that is allegedly definitely happening at some point in the nebulous future, but has there been any concrete evidence that it exists or that Fukui is even working on something that could be classified as a Unicorn sequel? Narrative was basically just a spinoff of some bonus chapters and did very little to advance the plot of the Unicorn storyline.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Thanks, I’ll take a look at War in the Pocket and Thunderbolt.

I’m not too concerned about continuity. I didn’t really grasp the greater context of Hathaway, but that didn’t diminish the spectacle and the moment to moment character motivations were clear enough to pull me between set pieces.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only Unicorn material left to adapt is the second half of the bonus volume NT was collected in, which was a novelization of the prequel PS3 game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't think they're going to do unicorn 2 it's been a decade and everyone loves Hathaway more than banagher

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even so!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The sideline UC stuff definitely has a lot of the focus you're looking for, but can often be a little short, which might be disappointing. If you want something longer that'll probably scratch the same itches, I think perhaps Iron Blooded Orphans would work; it doesn't quite have the same focuses, but I think a big thing it carries that might be what you're getting into is the treatment of the mobile suits as just massive machines that are taken seriously as such, both in terms of the actual mechanics and their impact on the world around them.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

This is tangential but what exactly is the deal with Unicorn 2? It often gets tossed around as something that is allegedly definitely happening at some point in the nebulous future, but has there been any concrete evidence that it exists or that Fukui is even working on something that could be classified as a Unicorn sequel? Narrative was basically just a spinoff of some bonus chapters and did very little to advance the plot of the Unicorn storyline.

It was announced as part of the roadmap for UC based animation a few years back, and I think as recently as last year is still confirmed as being in the works, just with no production started and no timeframe to do so because of Covid stalling Hathaway and Fukui being occupied writing ongoing Yamato sequels at the time

Also the ending of Narrative was them revealing that Mineva secretly has the supposedly dismantled Unicorn fully intact and lying in wait for when it's needed, and declaring it will be her and Banagher's lifes work to get rid of Psychoframe tech entirely. All it was missing was a "To be continued" label.

This was from May last year -

quote:

Producer Naohiro Ogata then teased the “future” of the Universal Century after the Hathaway’s Flash trilogy, as part of the U.C. NexT 0100 Project.

"Unicorn isn’t over yet. We have to tell the story of the Republic of Zeon’s dissolution in the year 0100 of the Universal Century before we can move on. However, Harutoshi Fukui (who wrote the novel for Unicorn) is currently traveling to another universe (laughs). I’m thinking about how to adapt the era leading up to F91."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Thanks, I’ll take a look at War in the Pocket and Thunderbolt.

I’m not too concerned about continuity. I didn’t really grasp the greater context of Hathaway, but that didn’t diminish the spectacle and the moment to moment character motivations were clear enough to pull me between set pieces.

if what you want is more poo poo like hathaway that looks really pretty you want unicorn

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

if what you want is more poo poo like hathaway that looks really pretty you want unicorn

It even has the same scriptwriter for the anime. Definitely worth a look

IBO's one of my favorites, but I'm less sure it'd scratch the same itch. There's on foot combat, and the fights are pretty cool and fluid, but the visual quality is usually much lower than Hathaway, and it's more focused on teenagers joining the space yakuza for money than adults acting on grand ideals.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

I don't think they're going to do unicorn 2 it's been a decade and everyone loves Hathaway more than banagher

Who is everyone in this context, and what is your actual source for that? Because Unicorn is still one of the best selling anime of all time. Sunrise made a lot of the fact that Gundam Hatahway grossed more than Char's Counterattack at the box office, but it's also the first Gundam film in a long time to have even close to the kind of widespread release that it could have gotten that kind of reception. If you take a look at the SomeAniThing database for the details for instance:

quote:

Gundam Hathaway: --------------- ¥2,230,000,000 | 7+ Weeks | 215 Screens
A Wakening of the Trailblazer: ¥860,000,000 -- | 7 Weeks - | 88 Screens
Gundam Unicorn Episode 7: -- ¥462,244,294 -- | 4 Weeks - | 35 Screens
Gundam The Origin V: ------------ ¥279,000,000 -- | 1+ Weeks | 35 Screens
Gundam The Origin VI: ----------- ¥227,456,900 -- | 3 Weeks - | 35 Screens

Gundam Hathaway released in more screens than the rest of those put together, and if you assume the box office gross would hold against the number of screens then both A Wakening of the Trailblazer and Gundam Unicorn episode 7 would have made about the same; possibly more in Unicorn's case. Now, that's not something you can assume, but I don't think you can assume Gundam Hathaway is more popular than one of the best selling anime of all time on home media release or that said anime is no longer as popular without some serious proof either. I also wouldn't assume Sunrise think along those lines and won't try and cash in on Unicorn being such a gold mine when it was originally released without at least one more stab at it because they'd be kind of silly not to do so. poo poo, they're apparently trying to mine SEED's setting with the movie again after 2 decades, so why wouldn't they eventually try and make more Unicorn?

Cucuroz Doan's Island did release in nearly as many screens without that kind of return, but it did so after Gundam Hathaway rather than before it. I don't think there's been any kind of notable poll or anything since the 2018 NHK one to see what the general public think of the two in comparison either, since Gundam Hathaway obviously wasn't on that poll. No element of Unicorn topped any of the metrics in that poll, but Unicorn generally had decent placement in them and I'd be skeptical that Hathaway would do much better considering how beloved the stuff that topped each element generally is.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 24, 2023

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Watch the original show. Count me under the people who dislike the movie versions. So much world building and so many gut punch moments are lost. It's a good show that holds up, if you end up really liking War in the Pocket, watch it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Yawgmoft posted:

Watch the original show. Count me under the people who dislike the movie versions. So much world building and so many gut punch moments are lost. It's a good show that holds up, if you end up really liking War in the Pocket, watch it.

A fair warning on that: the original show in any form you watch it in is 1979 As gently caress, and low-budget at that. It's still very good, and I think there's genuinely some interesting value that comes from a show about kids dealing with the horrors of war looking like it could've aired right after Scooby-Doo, but if you're coming for giant robot spectacle... uhhhh, yeah, it ain't there yet.

0079 was actually the first Gundam thing I saw (outside of scattered bits of Wing on Toonami when I was a kid), and the fact I'm still here is testament to its strength, but you've really gotta know what you're getting into.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Bugblatter posted:

Is this an alright thread to ask for recommendations on shows or movies in the series? I haven’t really had much exposure to Gundam, but not too long ago I saw some random snippets of Hathaway and the animation blew me away. So I watched the movie and it ruled. The zero g combat, the human perspective of the battles, and the sheer quality of animation left me very impressed.

Is there anything else within the franchise that has similar strengths? I watched The Witch of Mercury since that’s what social feeds are all talking about right now, but it didn’t scratch the same itch.

The easiest thing that's going to hit all of those three points you mention while also not requiring a 20+ hour investment is Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky. Absolutely watch that, it's only a movie so you're not throwing a lot of time away.

After that, it really depends on how invested you want to get into the whole overarching story and how much time you want to invest. Most people will tell you to sit down and watch Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, and Char's Counterattack, which are generally regarded as the primary trinity of old Gundam productions and form the basis of the Universal Century canon.

If you're just looking for shorter pieces with a focus on high quality animation, the old OVAs are a good place to check - 0080 War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memory, and 08th MS Team are all beautifully animated works and I don't really think you need a PhD in Gundam to understand any of them. War in the Pocket is one of the best works in the entire Gundam franchise and a fantastic commentary on war in general. Stardust kind of has a terrible cast and a mediocre plot, but is simply a visually gorgeous piece of animation. 08th MS Team kind of falls in the middle between the two.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cleretic posted:

A fair warning on that: the original show in any form you watch it in is 1979 As gently caress, and low-budget at that. It's still very good, and I think there's genuinely some interesting value that comes from a show about kids dealing with the horrors of war looking like it could've aired right after Scooby-Doo, but if you're coming for giant robot spectacle... uhhhh, yeah, it ain't there yet.

I agree that Mobile Suit Gundam looks 1979 as gently caress in terms of it's art style, mechanical design and that it's animation is often quite cheap, but I disagree that there's no giant robot spectacle and honestly, I think that the original show has more interesting choreography than anything else Gundam did until Victory Gundam over a decade later. The machines often feel less like giant robots specifically and more like giant humans/infantry, but I think the fights provide far more of a spectacle than you'll find in Zeta, ZZ, F91 or even Char's Counterattack outside of maaaaybe the final Amuro/Char confrontation in that film.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I just finished my run through most of the UC stuff and I'll echo that the original show should be watched in it's entirety. There are highs and lows, but conceptually is really great stuff giving of silver really cool concepts and interesting perspectives.

Zeta I was struggling to get into until I realized that it's actually the story of Jerid Messa, an incorrigible fuckup that fails at everything forever and I started enjoying it a lot more.

ZZ I couldn't stand. It's the worst kind of anime slapstick around, the characters are pretty universally annoying and the fights are pure Calvinball. I blazed through a list of must-see episodes and didn't look back. Notably there was a genuinely shocking callback in Unicorn to ZZ but whether that makes it worthwhile is debatable.

After ZZ, Char's Counterattack was a huge breath of fresh air. Suddenly we had mobile suits with weapons that seemed to have genuine physical properties and effects instead of just a light show. Plus the Nu Gundam and Sazabi both are phenomenal.

Finally Unicorn. This show is fantastic both just on its own merit and the way it builds on everything that came before. I had a great time beginning to end and was really happy I took the time this past year to go through [pretty much] everything else rather than just diving in.

And that's pretty much my trip report of UC. I'm excited to check out more of the side story OVAs as well as Narrative and Hathaway, and then I guess I'll finally check out Witch from Mercury, which I hear is good.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Congratulations, it's all downhill from here.

this is a joke WfM is fantastic, but I do not know if Gundam will ever reach the heights/though line of 0079 to Unicorn ever again

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 24, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it's certainly possible for them to hit it again, but it'll have to be different than what has come before. I don't think you're gonna get lightning in a bottle with Unicorn again by trying to be Unicorn again. It needs to be something new and fresh, something that understands the media landscape it is thrust upon.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the peak of gundam is turn a though :confused:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tales of Woe posted:

the peak of gundam is turn a though :confused:

Not arguing with this but as far as broad mainstream appeal it's not even top ten for Gundam

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know that it's possible for a single show to reach that kind of emotional climax either frankly, and the reason a film like Char's Counterattack or an OVA like Gundam Unicorn can do so is because they're paying off multiple TV shows worth of build up; even if it wasn't part of a singular plan with them as an end point. They can pick up strands those shows laid down narratively or thematically and have hundreds of hours of investment on the part of the viewer to play off of by the time they sit down to watch that particular show. It's very rare for an AU to get any sequel, and even Gundam Wing and Gundam 00 only got one movie as a sequel. Gundam SEED is the only AU to have more than one TV show for the moment, and I don't think Sunrise would commit to any sequels for an AU unless it made major commercial and social waves.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Honestly why did they have 0080, 0083, and 08th MS Team.

Edit: I mean the names.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The guy specified that he wanted cool giant robot spectacle and doesn't care as much about the writing, I love 0079 as much as the next guy but it doesn't seem like a good fit for the ask

Thunderbolt, unicorn, and 0083 are probably the big must sees for that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ManSedan posted:

They realized if they could sell Gundam content that wasn't directed by Tomino, they could sell a lot more Gundam content

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ManSedan posted:

Edit: I mean the names.

I imagine the numerals 0080 and 0083 were attached to the names so that potential viewers could immediately place them and know if it was something they felt interested in given that there were multiple shows in UC spanning a ten year period by then. Both of them had full on names as well as the year they took place in, so the numerology just helped place them. They may even have been a holdover from production as a project name. 08th MS Team is just a team name, and helps give the show a more grounded, military vibe.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Yeah I know it’s a lot of 8s though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It does give them a consistency in name though. So there is that.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

0080 takes place almost entirely within 0079.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Getting towards the end of my gundam wing rewatch with my SO,

She said it's by far her least favorite gundam I've made her watch :V

Counting on a frozen teardrop reveal a week after we finish waltz to tease her with.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My girlfriend really likes 0083 and liked the bits of Victory she watched. She hated most of 00 and Seed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My girlfriend really likes 0083 and liked the bits of Victory she watched.

That's what we call a red flag

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Depends. If the bits of Victory she watched were entirely focused on the best/stupidest Zanscare mechs that isn't necessarily a problem.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

What does UA and UC mean? Are the numeric prefixes some series have related to chronology?

I have Thunderbolt and Unicorn at the top of my list since they seem to hit the visual spectacle I’m looking for most. Also gonna check War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, and MS Team later on if I wind up with the time for them.

Thanks again for all the recommendations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

What does UA and UC mean? Are the numeric prefixes some series have related to chronology?

I have Thunderbolt and Unicorn at the top of my list since they seem to hit the visual spectacle I’m looking for most. Also gonna check War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, and MS Team later on if I wind up with the time for them.

Thanks again for all the recommendations.

UC is Universal Century, which is the "main" Gundam universe/timeline. This is the one with the One Year War, Zeon, Amuro and Char, Anaheim Electronics, the Titans, etc.

"AU" is the acronym for "alternate universe" (which is kind of a misnomer in the case of Gundam since none[*] of them are actual AUs). In the context of Gundam, people are using it as a synonym for timeline/universe.

Each Gundam universe has its own calendar notation, which people sometimes use as shorthand to refer to that universe/timeline ("UC" is in fact the calendar prefix in UC Gundam). For example, the Wing timeline is AC (After Colony), Seed is CE (Cosmic Era), and Witch from Mercury is AS (Ad Stella).

Most timelines/universes only have one or two shows/manga set in them, so people generally refer to them by the show's name, but "UC Gundam" gets used because there are so many shows/manga/games set in the Universal Century that you can't refer to it by the name of a single thing.

Listing just main shows/OVAs/films alone: 0079, 08th MS, 0080, Zeta, 0083, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, Unicorn, Hathaway are all set in the core UC timeline, and that's before you even get into Late UC (F91 and the Crossbone manga, so-named because these are technically set in the same timeline as the One Year War, but far enough in the future that aesthetics and characters are different).

The numerical prefixes in 0080 and 0083 are part of the show's names, and designate the UC year they're set in. By extension, 0079 is one of the nicknames (alongside First Gundam) given to the original Mobile Suit Gundam show, which is set in UC 0079. We use these because they're shorter than typing out the entire show name and clearer than acronyms would be.

[*] technically, The Origin is a Universal Century AU, since it's sort of not canon to 0079.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 25, 2023

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Just to expand, UC year 0001 is the date of the founding of the first space colony. It's intentionally left vague what date this is in the old AD/CE calendar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It really doesn't matter what year it is CE to make the switch over to UC but I like to think it's around the 24th Century or so.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
And to add in something extra confusing just for fun: 00 Gundam is set in the A.D. timeline which does still use our calendar, but is still a completely independent timeline instead of being a prequel to a pre-existing one like you might immediately assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

also thunderbolt is an alternate version of UC like the origin

also that doan's island movie is its own unique splinter timeline as well