Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

EVIL Gibson posted:

:same:

I still read it but the esport tournament and even the recent gold smuggling by the goblins that the MC helped with to avoid the guilds did not come across as entertaining.

The magic user teammate showing up fully decked out with flower gear is still pretty good.

I just talked because I like twists on tropes especially very old fantasy races.

:words:
Another elf variant I love are the elves from the Dark Sun D&D campaign. The planet is super hosed because magic does not come from energy floating around; it comes from any life energy around. Be it plants, algae, microbes and if it's high enough people. You stand on soil and cast a spell, the soil becomes sterile. If you do it in front of weak mob characters, they will not run away in terror. They will all swarm you and kill you because magic ruined the whole world. Its desert now and elves no longer had their forests and naturey environments.

They run. All the time. As traders and raiders. They don't believe in riding animals and all need to catch up with the tribe.

Scouts fork off from what looks like a bird migration and come back to the "flock" to report things.

:words:

Nice old school D&D reference. I have all the old Dark Sun books, and even played the computer game. One day, I hope they bring it back in a new edition. My high school friends and I had such an epic campaign in that setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How did this get traction outside of this thread

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/572873887998672896/1064106142608928848/John_Brown_Isekai.mp4

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
John Brown is a historical figure people have wanted reflected in Anime for years. Isekai getting this popular and the sheer amount of slavery is just a logical way to both get him 1:1 and get him murdering racists while spitting out bible verses.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
But does he hang them from a sour apple tree?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYpodBKYHy4

But he's blasting an anime pretty boy.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I need to write more of my cringe john brown light novel.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That one's on me, I just assumed that was an idea only on here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

fyi

the anime probably won't get that far, though.

Namtab posted:

I have said all I need to about the issue of slavery back in chapter 305

General Isekai Thread: I have said all I need to about the issue of slavery back in chapter 305

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
That’s the cooking isekai manga with Fenrir? what the gently caress

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oops all slaves.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I wanna write a 10,000 chapter light novel about a cool guy just so chapter 10,001 can be "So this guy bought some slaves"

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Invictus posted:

General Isekai Thread: I have said all I need to about the issue of slavery back in chapter 305

For those wondering what chapter 305 says it says "it's not chattel it's only indenture".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Waiting for the fanslations going "actually slavery is pretty based and poggers in this world!"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fellis posted:

That’s the cooking isekai manga with Fenrir? what the gently caress

Yo what the gently caress
I like that series
what the hell

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Here read this other cooking isekai with a wolf(girl) companion

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I would if they put chapters out :argh:

Otome Game Survival had a new chapter which finished an arc: https://mangadex.org/title/f30a2fd3-cf2c-4f77-9910-51a908459a82/otome-game-no-heroine-de-saikyou-survival

This is the one where the MC isn’t a reincarnator, but learns she is the otome heroine from one that she encounters early on and uses the info to go “gently caress no” and survive on her own. I read the LN and it’s pretty good for awhile, then gets a bit boring with how much powering up they have her do before plot happens again. The manga seems to be going at a fast pace though so hopefully will cruise by that

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
This translation is absolutely filled with typos, grammatical errors, and sometimes just using incorrect words (thought instead of taught for example), so even if the series itself is good it's being let down by the scan group.

At one point, although it seems to have been corrected now, they used three different variations of the same name on the same page. I suspect they're machine translating it to make that kind of mistake.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 26, 2023

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Machine translations usually bother me more because they typically choose to typeset in some weird font, rather than any errors. I think having spent the majority of my life in science/engineering and working with folks doing their best with english has given me a lot of tolerance and ability to decipher.

Errors that completely change the meaning, character names, etc. I really can’t have any understanding of unless I hit up the LN later (which has been more frequent because christ i read too much manga)

E: oof yeah i forgot the early chapters were really rough on that one

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cirina posted:

At one point, although it seems to have been corrected now, they used three different variations of the same name on the same page.

Oh hell yeah I love Quality

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I take this back because the recent MTL of Wife Guy Isekai is so bad i wanted to die. Apologies

https://mangadex.org/title/fac7bdc7-c1f3-4595-82f5-b5bfb002b933/risou-no-himo-seikatsu

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fellis posted:

I take this back because the recent MTL of Wife Guy Isekai is so bad i wanted to die. Apologies

https://mangadex.org/title/fac7bdc7-c1f3-4595-82f5-b5bfb002b933/risou-no-himo-seikatsu

I have never seen so many people come in to slam an update like that; it was very cathartic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wtf the wolf cooking manga went slaves too.

Why japan why.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyte posted:

For those wondering what chapter 305 says it says "it's not chattel it's only indenture".

He links to the wiki for Slavery in the Roman Empire and is like "it's a complex issue"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Fellis posted:

At least the good translators came in the literal next day with a real version.

Also I loving love Wife Guy Isekai. I am a sucker, clearly, for the fantasy/isekais that eschew power fantasy in favor of political wrangling, and this one does it so well. I love the metaphor that one guy used in the series, where trying to politically outmaneuver Zenjirou is like being in a swordfight with a regular-looking guy only to realize that his brains and sense organs are in his foot, his head is a decorative attachment, and he's got a third arm with a second sword behind his back -- nothing looks out of the ordinary and you do something that would be a killing blow, only to suddenly realize that you did no damage, your sword is stuck, and he's attacking you from an angle you couldn't possibly predict. It's such an excellent encapsulation of what the manga does so well, in letting Zenjirou keep his modern values and making them an asset, because concepts like "equal rights" and "it's okay to take a loss of face if it advances your interests" are as natural to him as breathing and he's in a society where neither exists, so someone will set up this elaborate trap to impugn his honor and he'll just go "haha yep I sure do suck and am weak, now I'm gonna go talk to the servants and they'll tell me exactly what your deal is, be back in a bit to wreck your poo poo forever".

Also, the reversal of the harem dynamic, where the world is constantly throwing gorgeous women of every possible type at him and he's just like "please please please, I actually love my wife, I want to spend time with her and our kids, I don't want more women" and his wife's going "okay but like... I'll try to avoid it for your sake, but I may have to force you to take some concubines" and he's going "but I don't wanna" and spending like half his time scheming to make sure nobody else ends up in his bed? That never stops being hilarious to me.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

There's a now dead western web novel called A Hero's war which is one of those isekais where 2 people get summoned but one was summoned unintentionally. At one point the summoned Hero realizes that one of the kingdoms he's supposed to save has slavery, goes "fuuuck this" and basically goes John Brown on their asses and helps start a slave revolt.

I liked that web novel, it was like a better version of release that witch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it definitely had some problems, though. the isekai slave revolts which actually sounded interesting were mostly a subplot that took place off-page. the main story was almost entirely about magitech weapons development, which isn't necessarily a bad idea but it was very dry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Isekai Spartacus when

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wtf the wolf cooking manga went slaves too.

Why japan why.

This needs answering, I really liked that one.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

drilldo squirt posted:

This needs answering, I really liked that one.

I honestly feel like a lot of it comes down to laziness, with healthy dash of copying what other popular authors did.

I want to add a member of a fantasy species to the cast but have only written about humans so far? Add them as a slave to the MC.
I want the MC to set up a unique business but don't want to deal with figuring out how their cheat powers won't get revealed? Just use slaves.
I've written an extremely unlikeable MC but their gimmick requires them to work with other people? Have them buy some slaves.
I want to quickly show that my MC is a "good" person who cares about everyone? I'll have them buy slaves but they'll treat them like employees.

Now obviously sometimes it's clearly the author's fetish or just that they're a misogynistic piece of crap, but I see it crop up so often as a kind of passing afterthought that I can't shake the feeling that people are using it as some kind of lovely One Weird Trick.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The entire isekai genre is defined by using tropes without thinking about why. Like, every single thing about it, from top to bottom.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isekai Apocalypse MYNOGHRA updated, and I love the direction it's taking.

At first the sickly protagonist is dropped into a world that operates like an RTS or MOBA. then an antagonist faction appears that acts weirdly and has really bad tactics and drop money when their troops die. turns out they're some other group from a "primitive"(by the protagonist's faction's level) NES or SNES-era RPG, where the troops can't fight more than 4 or 5 at a time(because that's all that would fit on screen) but the RTS soldiers don't operate by that rule so they massacre them.

it's culminated in the latest chapter with one of the Big Bads of the RPG army turning it around on the MOBA hero, activating a [SCRIPTED EVENT] which forces the MOBA hero and two NPCs from her home base into what feels like an FF4 heroic sacrifice cutscene :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Isekai Apocalypse MYNOGHRA updated, and I love the direction it's taking.

At first the sickly protagonist is dropped into a world that operates like an RTS or MOBA. then an antagonist faction appears that acts weirdly and has really bad tactics and drop money when their troops die. turns out they're some other group from a "primitive"(by the protagonist's faction's level) NES or SNES-era RPG, where the troops can't fight more than 4 or 5 at a time(because that's all that would fit on screen) but the RTS soldiers don't operate by that rule so they massacre them.

it's culminated in the latest chapter with one of the Big Bads of the RPG army turning it around on the MOBA hero, activating a [SCRIPTED EVENT] which forces the MOBA hero and two NPCs from her home base into what feels like an FF4 heroic sacrifice cutscene :allears:

On the one hand I find this setting and conflict more and more interesting. On the other I saw it coming a mile away but gently caress you for killing Bug Mom in front of her adoptive daughters. They already have enough maternal trauma as it is.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Brought To You By posted:

On the one hand I find this setting and conflict more and more interesting. On the other I saw it coming a mile away but gently caress you for killing Bug Mom in front of her adoptive daughters. They already have enough maternal trauma as it is.

Ireally liked bug mom and decided that was where I was going to drop reading the LN.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I think I remember bailing for the same time, same reason. The story was getting a little too edgelordy for me, I was way more interested in reading about alien demon monsters integrating into society than yet another story about trauma-powered anime super-children.

The nation-building stuff was definitely a lot of fun while it lasted, though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I also checked out of the LN at this point; it was late at night and I didn’t want to deal with a feels bad chapter, then never managed to go back.

Since the manga has spoiled a bit of what happened I guess I should at least finish the novel since I already own it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Greatest Estate Developer is very good this week. Good faces, Javier being completely gobsmacked by Lloyd, and a challenge for the MC that he (possibly) can’t just BS his way through

https://m.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-greatest-estate-developer/episode-65/viewer?title_no=3596&episode_no=65

I do love the ‘elves love plants so much they are strict carnivores’ as an inversion of the trope and actually having ladies who pull bowstrings constantly be ripped as gently caress

Fellis fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 30, 2023

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Fellis posted:

Greatest Estate Developer is very good this week. Good faces, Javier being completely gobsmacked by Lloyd, and a challenge for the MC that he (possibly) can’t just BS his way through

https://m.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-greatest-estate-developer/episode-65/viewer?title_no=3596&episode_no=65

I do love the ‘elves love plants so much they are strict carnivores’ as an inversion of the trope and actually having ladies who pull bowstrings constantly be ripped as gently caress

The wood elves from the Elder Scrolls series are like this. They're religiously bound not to harm plants and so all they do is eat meat.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They can also perform a ritual to transform participants into a horde of gibbering monsters that devour all non-plant life in an area before devouring each other. And they're also just straight cannibals, who aren't above killing you and feeding you to your friends.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a wild last boss appeared updated in what feels like forever and I gotta say, the plight of the demons is probably my favorite part of it. just an entire race of figments of a goddess's imagination, trying to find a way to make their existence concrete rather than one that evaporates the moment they die is really fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Captain Invictus posted:

a wild last boss appeared updated in what feels like forever and I gotta say, the plight of the demons is probably my favorite part of it. just an entire race of figments of a goddess's imagination, trying to find a way to make their existence concrete rather than one that evaporates the moment they die is really fascinating.

I'm glad to see this isn't dead, it's been over two years since the last update.