Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I did have CRISPR but not enough plasmids to do anything. So yeah, I blew it up, got 97 plasmids, and will roll plants this time. So getting the global plasmid bonus + crispr upgrades is the perma-bonus loop-by-loop then?

Plasmids are the first tier of reset currency and crispr the primary permanent upgrades, yes. The next reset tier is Phage which gives a flat increase to the soft-cap of plasmids. Much later there's another set of buyables which requires bloodstones and artifacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just started playing evolve recently, and am on my second run after nuking my mushrooms.
Now my ents have the "unification" research ready. And it looks like I have to somehow conquer the other countries? I haven't interacted with the diplomacy system before and the wiki is unorganized on the topic.

The options I have found are: Ramming an army against them until I get lucky. Ramming my spies against them until I get lucky.
Are there other options I am missing somewhere?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Are you trying to bioseed on your second run? Bold plan. Anyway, the various ways to unify your enemies include:

-Occupying them with a siege
-Buying them with cash
-Annexing them by having a high morale and them high unrest.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Rynoto posted:

It's a very slow burn game.

For actual content I've been enjoying: Unnamed Space Idle has been surprisingly fun despite the name. Decent amount of systems to interact with and very idle friendly, especially with upgrades you can get from doing achievements.
this game is a pretty fun twist on NGU; thanks for linking it!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Rynoto posted:

For actual content I've been enjoying: Unnamed Space Idle has been surprisingly fun despite the name. Decent amount of systems to interact with and very idle friendly, especially with upgrades you can get from doing achievements.

Yeah, liking this, definitely scratches an NGU itch. At Sector 21 after ~2 days of play, has some interesting interlocking systems.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rynoto posted:

I quite like it, thanks. It's similar to https://store.steampowered.com/app/933540/Idle_Space_Raider/

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Klungar posted:

Yeah, liking this, definitely scratches an NGU itch. At Sector 21 after ~2 days of play, has some interesting interlocking systems.

oh gently caress I'm getting on this train aren't I

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Are you trying to bioseed on your second run? Bold plan. Anyway, the various ways to unify your enemies include:

-Occupying them with a siege
-Buying them with cash
-Annexing them by having a high morale and them high unrest.

Yeah, I thought the game was chill enough to let me go for the second reset condition on the second run.
I am currently getting annoyed at the glacial pace of upgrading my elerium storage.

If I had/do reset with nukes here what upgrades would I have available to make that more efficient? I didn't see any on offer, which is part of why I pushed on. And because these ents are a lot more fun then the species I had before.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
For USI I really like that the resets are just to change loadouts or use a new ship or module instead of a core part of progression. Also love the "once you make enough components you have infinite".

So far exceeds my expectations (which admittedly are pretty low for idle games), so it's got a recommend from me.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

VictualSquid posted:

Yeah, I thought the game was chill enough to let me go for the second reset condition on the second run.
I am currently getting annoyed at the glacial pace of upgrading my elerium storage.

If I had/do reset with nukes here what upgrades would I have available to make that more efficient? I didn't see any on offer, which is part of why I pushed on. And because these ents are a lot more fun then the species I had before.

Things you're probably missing:
  • Cost Creep Upgrades
  • Upgrades to how much plasmids increase your storage space
  • Crafting speed upgrades
  • Mastery (which is a general boost to all production based on how many achievements you've finished)
  • Priests (another job that increases the effectiveness of your temples)
  • For that matter you're almost certainly not softcapped on plasmids, which is another general production boost

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 25, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Things you're probably missing:
  • Cost Creep Upgrades
  • Upgrades to how much plasmids increase your storage space
  • Crafting speed upgrades
  • Mastery (which is a general boost to all production based on how many achievements you've finished)
  • Priests (another job that increases the effectiveness of your temples)
  • For that matter you're almost certainly not softcapped on plasmids, which is another general production boost

How many nuke resets is that? I got 100 plasmids last time, and resetting now would give me 130 plasmids. That sounds like I would need to do a dozen nuke resets before actually starting to go forward.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Well that’s generally true in that you do want a bunch of MAD resets before you bioseed. I did my first one after 7 or 8 0 star resets. I grabbed cost creep reduction up to 4, all the crafting ups, and the plasmid storage up.

Those resets will be much faster than your first for what it is worth.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

VictualSquid posted:

How many nuke resets is that? I got 100 plasmids last time, and resetting now would give me 130 plasmids. That sounds like I would need to do a dozen nuke resets before actually starting to go forward.

Softcap is 250+Phage. Bioseeds can be done 0* with just softcap although the upgrades do help.

I'd also argue priests aren't worth putting valuable citizens into until very late game when you're using them with theocracy for bonus space production.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, that's fair, you don't need all of those. If you did do around 7 or 8 resets, it'd give you enough to pick up the first handful of Cost Creep + Crafting + Storage Upgrades, alongside Mastery and 250 plasmids for the production bonus.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
not sure if they patched it, but space theology gets mega broken by insect races

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Jhet posted:

The only one I'm having issues with is the Factory of Automation. I'm sitting in Pearl and it just kind of stopped. I think I've tried every combination of Milestone superchargered, but it just doesn't seem to be moving anymore. It's also given 0 metaprogress still, so idk. I know it goes a ways further from the patch notes, but I don't know if I can be bothered to finish it. There's not much input necessary as far as I can tell.

Prestige Tree Classic also gets a little grindy about layer 7, but it should still be possible? It slowed down a lot and I kind of just want to skip ahead. It's not super which is why I suppose they did a second edition.

I don't think Factory of Automation unlocks anything until it's actually finished. For where you are at, make sure you have "Always have first 7 upgrades" supercharged to "All upgrades unlocked" and make sure to buy all the upgrades in all your minerals.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Klungar posted:

Yeah, liking this, definitely scratches an NGU itch.

Oh no...

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Rynoto posted:

This has been scratching an itch I didn't know I had. I've already infinitied the first couple of Synthing resources since yesterday, and now I kinda want to get them all to that point.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Unnamed space idle is really fun. Despite me not liking NGU.
Though it is also hell to deal with those crystals on a linux system that uses alt-click for it's own purposes, so I can't use it in the game.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Out of curiosity, what ship setups are people using in USI?

I've been running around with two beam lasers and a normal laser. Basically, because the normal laser has two of the "-10 seconds on your active skill's cooldown", I can run 4 of those and have the skill literally permanently active. The beam lasers are then there because, as far as I can tell, they're the best all around laser: they have both the highest dps of all lasers and also attack quickly, meaning they can pretty effectively fill the role of both charge and gatling lasers.

For shields I basically just use the Bulk generators unless I'm aiming for a sector with a ton of enemies. As long as you can kill enemies quick enough to give yourself a shield regen break, there's basically no downside!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am currently trying 2 gattling, 1 beam and it is not good. Haven't found a favourite yet.

Can someone tell me how to figure out how much void matter income I currently have? I just set it to how much I need and hope it works, but then it suddenly cuts off and then I set it up exactly as before and it works again.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

I am currently trying 2 gattling, 1 beam and it is not good. Haven't found a favourite yet.

Can someone tell me how to figure out how much void matter income I currently have? I just set it to how much I need and hope it works, but then it suddenly cuts off and then I set it up exactly as before and it works again.

Top middle panel, all the way on the left 2nd row, the white circle with a red dot in the middle. Hover over all the resources they do a terrible job of introducing them but they are labeled in hover text and so it's not a fatal flaw.

edit: center dot is orange actually was writing from memory, red is the crate icon above it.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 26, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

pixaal posted:

Top middle panel, all the way on the left 2nd row, the white circle with a red dot in the middle. Hover over all the resources they do a terrible job of introducing them but they are labeled in hover text and so it's not a fatal flaw.

edit: center dot is orange actually was writing from memory, red is the crate icon above it.

Oh, it is the same resource as used for the compute thing? I thought it was a separate one. That makes more sense

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Late to respond, but I will temper that my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt, I'm demonstrably terrible at idler games, somehow.

Totally agree at least that the remade Prestige Tree is much, much better than Classic, my headaches aside

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
There is something magical about that moment in an Idle game when you realize you have 4 chrome tabs open, a discord window, and an AHK script running and take a beat, find peace, and close everything.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rynoto posted:

This is really good!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arzaac posted:

Out of curiosity, what ship setups are people using in USI?

I've been running around with two beam lasers and a normal laser. Basically, because the normal laser has two of the "-10 seconds on your active skill's cooldown", I can run 4 of those and have the skill literally permanently active. The beam lasers are then there because, as far as I can tell, they're the best all around laser: they have both the highest dps of all lasers and also attack quickly, meaning they can pretty effectively fill the role of both charge and gatling lasers.

For shields I basically just use the Bulk generators unless I'm aiming for a sector with a ton of enemies. As long as you can kill enemies quick enough to give yourself a shield regen break, there's basically no downside!

What did you use to actually get to the bulk generator unlock? Using this same setup but with the normal shields is having trouble getting past the sector 12 boss. Will probably be able to break through when I open it back up tomorrow but there's still a ways to go to 1000 distance.

GWD
Jul 11, 2022
I'm redoing how buildings generate resources in my game, and I know in my head I'm thinking of how another idle game did it but I can't remember what.

Basically a key part to the game is that buildings generate resources in lock step. A cooking fire generates 5 food in 3 seconds for 2 wood. Not 0.055 food per frame or anything else. As a building is leveled, it's cost and rewards are mostly linear, there's things that adjust it but for this pretend it's linear. A level 2 cooking fire is 10 food for 4 wood in 3 seconds, level 3 is 15/6/3 etc... If you know ahead of time that your wood generation isn't stable enough for whatever reason you can say "I have a level 3 cooking fire but only want it to act as a level 2."

Also as part of that, I was calculating the cost of the building at the end right before getting the new resource. If you didn't have enough, it'd take what you had and lower the level of the building until you could cover it. This obviously felt bad in playtesting. You waited all the time, spent all the resources, and didn't get what you expected to get.

So instead what I switched to is that you take the resources up front, again all at once, and at the end you get the rewards. Problem now is, what do you do if you level up the building while it's gathering resources? If it goes from say Level 2 to 3, you paid 4 wood and you're going to get 10 food at the end right?

So I introduced the idea that there's the current level the building is actually working at, and the target level that you want it to be working at, and at various points it can swap to the target. Like when the building isn't running, or between times it's running etc...

Now my problem is how to have a UI that explains that? At the moment in my very barebones UI it's basically a progress bar showing the progress towards getting the resource, and a line that you can click on along with up/down arrows showing that 3/3 Cooking Fires are in use.

In the back of my head I know I've seen something in a text based idler that covered this. Something like (or maybe exactly) evolve or Kitten Game. But my fear is that a continuous resource reward where you can have 0.32 pieces of wood consumed per second doesn't run into these same problems. So can anyone help me remember what the idler I'm thinking of here and/or suggest a good UI that communicates, "This cooking fire is going to run as if there were 2, but you asked the next one to run at 3, and we got you fam."?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Salvor_Hardin posted:

There is something magical about that moment in an Idle game when you realize you have 4 chrome tabs open, a discord window, and an AHK script running and take a beat, find peace, and close everything.

yes

I play a lot of them but sometimes it's just not it. there are entire months of this thread I'm just not into whatever the hotness is and that's why it's a good genre

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Pigbuster posted:

What did you use to actually get to the bulk generator unlock? Using this same setup but with the normal shields is having trouble getting past the sector 12 boss. Will probably be able to break through when I open it back up tomorrow but there's still a ways to go to 1000 distance.

It's been a bit but I think I was using 2 Beams + a Charge Laser? My rationale being, even though the Beams were higher DPS, the charge laser shot was a nice chunk of damage to kill a ship early.

Though I'd imagine you're probably just dealing with a lack of stats more than a problem with any specific ship build.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i regret becoming demons. i cant trade for iridium so its gonna take me 5 weeks to bioseed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

If I need to open a discord window to figure out how to get over a wall I just immediately drop the game. It's real tiring to join one, see that it's got 20+ discord channels and they all overlap, and the pins that they tell you to check are from a few patches ago and don't apply.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pigbuster posted:

You get another reset mechanic after 12

I started 12 yesterday 1000 should be pretty soon for me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i regret becoming demons. i cant trade for iridium so its gonna take me 5 weeks to bioseed

MAD into imps and bioseed with those.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

SettingSun posted:

MAD into imps and bioseed with those.

thats a good idea, would give me enough plasmids to buy the governor upgrade and stay at my plasmid cap

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

SettingSun posted:

Well that’s generally true in that you do want a bunch of MAD resets before you bioseed. I did my first one after 7 or 8 0 star resets. I grabbed cost creep reduction up to 4, all the crafting ups, and the plasmid storage up.

Those resets will be much faster than your first for what it is worth.

Is cost creep referring to the price increase of buildings as you do more of them? I'm getting ready for my 2nd MAD and can finally get some CRISPR selections. I see the cost creep and storage space ones but no crafting yet.

Also what are "challenge traits"?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Unnamed Space Idle - Am I supposed to be upgrade the weapons and defense modules at the bottom of the Prestige screen? It looks like it takes a trival amount of salvage to go from level 0 to 1, but clicking the button does nothing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WTFBEES posted:

Unnamed Space Idle - Am I supposed to be upgrade the weapons and defense modules at the bottom of the Prestige screen? It looks like it takes a trival amount of salvage to go from level 0 to 1, but clicking the button does nothing.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm pretty sure that just shows you what upgrades will be shown for the selected weapon in the Core tab once you do prestige but I very well could be missing a permanent upgrade mechanic or something.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

explosivo posted:

I was wondering the same thing. I'm pretty sure that just shows you what upgrades will be shown for the selected weapon in the Core tab once you do prestige but I very well could be missing a permanent upgrade mechanic or something.

Yeah that is just info on what your loadout will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

explosivo posted:

That would explain it, but does that mean there's no prestige upgrades other than the occasional new modules at the listed distances? That would be real weird and apparently mean there's no reason to prestige unless you're changing your ship's config?