Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1617728064305401857

quote:

Austin Walker posted:
"All of which is to say that for me, it's not so much that "the writing is cringe." It's that Frey herself is cringing, and by proxy there is a sense that the writers are doing the same.

And listen, fellow writers: You do not need to take this defensive posture! You do not need to hit your finishing move in the middle of the ring, get the three count, and then look at the camera and say "you know this is fake, right?" You do not need to ensure the audience that you also get that this stuff isn't that serious. This poo poo we do is ascendent. Be fearless! Stick your chest out! Look at these characters that I thought looked dope enough that I put them at the top of this blog post! Stop no-selling them!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Irrespective of Forspoken this is the kind of thing that generally drives me up the wall about the jokey MCU style of writing. It projects a deep insecurity that people will naturally find an emotional connection to the product, and so attempts to cut them off at the pass by constantly lampshading itself, which only comes off as more insecure. Some people apparently hate the idea of jokes themselves, but it goes much deeper than that, I think. Fourth wall breaks are inherently lame to me because they're what you do when you're not confident that people will willingly suspend their disbelief and emotionally engage with your story and characters.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 25, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

bone emulator posted:

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1617728064305401857

"All of which is to say that for me, it's not so much that "the writing is cringe." It's that Frey herself is cringing, and by proxy there is a sense that the writers are doing the same.

And listen, fellow writers: You do not need to take this defensive posture! You do not need to hit your finishing move in the middle of the ring, get the three count, and then look at the camera and say "you know this is fake, right?" You do not need to ensure the audience that you also get that this stuff isn't that serious. This poo poo we do is ascendent. Be fearless! Stick your chest out! Look at these characters that I thought looked dope enough that I put them at the top of this blog post! Stop no-selling them!"

I know I initially brought up Austin on the last page but actually reading his blog again I realise that his own writing is its own kind of self-conscious artifice, in that 'say it louder for those in the back!!'/extremely online kind of way, which I get is probably just a very american thing. But I think that kind of writing also risks running afoul of the Marvel/Forspoken stuff, which is to say that when you experience it you don't feel like you're close to the subject matter, but that you're watching the writer in the act of writing, because there's so much of the writer's presence between you and whatever's going on. I mean he's still right about camera winking irony writing though. It stinks of self-loathing, and I'd rather that if a writer is getting in the way of their own writing, they're doing it with earnestness rather than irony.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

exquisite tea posted:

Irrespective of Forspoken this is the kind of thing that generally drives me up the wall about the jokey MCU style of writing. It projects a deep insecurity that people will naturally find an emotional connection to the product, and so attempts to cut them off at the pass by constantly lampshading itself, which only comes off as more insecure. Some people apparently hate the idea of jokes themselves, but it goes much deeper than that, I think. Fourth wall breaks are inherently lame to me because they're what you do when you're not confident that people will willingly suspend their disbelief and emotionally engage with your story and characters.

This kind of 'haha, the thing we're doing is stupid, right?' bullshit that ruins everything Steven Moffat touches.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

This kind of crap is why I hated Guardians of the Galaxy 2, everytime they tried to have like a genuine emotional moment it gets undercut immediately by a wacky joke that just ruins the scene.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I honestly feel it's a byproduct of how current media overvalues drama and seriousness. Like anything fantastical that's idealistic tends to be treated as something for kids and not in the serious big leagues like, idk, Last of Us.

Because you can 100% be self-aware without beating yourself up. Stranger of Paradise is a FF game where the protagonist reacts to a girl blabbing about how chaos exists within us with "Bullshit" and then plays Limp Bizkit on his way to punch Chaos on the game and yet the story is 100% serious about everything.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think more games should be like FFX-2 where last night in an attempt to save the land of Spira I put on a pop concert. It was magnificent!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I honestly feel it's a byproduct of how current media overvalues drama and seriousness. Like anything fantastical that's idealistic tends to be treated as something for kids and not in the serious big leagues like, idk, Last of Us.

Because you can 100% be self-aware without beating yourself up. Stranger of Paradise is a FF game where the protagonist reacts to a girl blabbing about how chaos exists within us with "Bullshit" and then plays Limp Bizkit on his way to punch Chaos on the game and yet the story is 100% serious about everything.

I agree with this 💯

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm okay with a game smirking at itself or not giving a poo poo but the issue with Forspoken I've seen is that it's not really done in a particularly interesting way. Stranger of Paradise is dumb, but telling a fantasy guy to shut up then putting on Linkin Park is funny.

Kind of like Nier 1- Dad Nier spends a whole lot of side quests going "what the hell" and "why"

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

VideoGames posted:

I think more games should be like FFX-2 where last night in an attempt to save the land of Spira I put on a pop concert. It was magnificent!

FFX-2 is the best because it's not even like, self-awareness or anything. Of course a world which has been under apocalyptic conditions for thousands of years would, the moment everything is fine, invent pop concerts, cosplay and tourism. The message of FFX-2 is just "enjoy live!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think it's kind of the opposite effect, really. Anything that seems overly sincere is immediately at risk of being ridiculed for "cringe" so the play is to show how you as the writer really don't care that much and you weren't really trying all that hard anyway, to be honest.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's kind of the opposite effect, really. Anything that seems overly sincere is immediately at risk of being ridiculed for "cringe" so the play is to show how you as the writer really don't care that much and you weren't really trying all that hard, anyway.

You think it's that personal for the writers, it's not just a way of writing? Or am I misunderstanding?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FFX-2 is the best because it's not even like, self-awareness or anything. Of course a world which has been under apocalyptic conditions for thousands of years would, the moment everything is fine, invent pop concerts, cosplay and tourism. The message of FFX-2 is just "enjoy live!"

As a follow up to FFX it is actually glorious and the main trio are wonderful. I feel more connected to them because when I switch up the party I am just changing roles rather than picking different characters. Having a grand time indeed :D

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's kind of the opposite effect, really. Anything that seems overly sincere is immediately at risk of being ridiculed for "cringe" so the play is to show how you as the writer really don't care that much and you weren't really trying all that hard anyway, to be honest.

Cinema Sins school of thought was a mistake.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Forspoken is pretty earnest iyam, it does not seem all that embarrassed about having a foul mouthed car thief teen collect magic jewelry, it totally owns it. If anything, it's just more culture clash than people are used to from a japanese game. The way it leans into certain nerdy character elements at times reminds me a lot of Max in Life Is Strange.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rinkles posted:

You think it's that personal for the writers, it's not just a way of writing? Or am I misunderstanding?

It's not important to me if they personally feel one way or another, I just think that particular style of writing projects insecurity.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Forespoken is a terrible name for a game. Communicates nothing about it except that they didn't know what to call it

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

It's more that there's an air of insecurity and insincerity borne from the desire/pressure to make genre fiction have a broader mainstream appeal - and the approach that worked so hugely with Whedon/Marvel/etc is to constantly undercut the more genre-ey aspects with knowing glances. But in effect, it does feel like the writers going over the actual material to telegraph to the audience that they're aware that the genre is a little camp or contrived or whatever. But I think people are more likely to just enjoy that stuff for what it is now, and don't appreciate being constantly be pulled out of the moment to be reminded that it's silly or colourful.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am currently having a pretty strong desire to take my save games in FF7, 8, 9 and 10 to the optional extra bosses of all of them and just get beefy and powerful and take them out.

Especially the dark versions of aeons in 10.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

VideoGames posted:

As a follow up to FFX it is actually glorious and the main trio are wonderful. I feel more connected to them because when I switch up the party I am just changing roles rather than picking different characters. Having a grand time indeed :D

I just wished it wasn't tied to a disjointed mission based structure. I think I've started FFX-2 more times than I can remember and the whole structure of the game just kills whatever enjoyment I get from the dress sphere system and all the other wacky things in that game.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I am currently having a pretty strong desire to take my save games in FF7, 8, 9 and 10 to the optional extra bosses of all of them and just get beefy and powerful and take them out.

Especially the dark versions of aeons in 10.

What was that hardcore optional boss in FF7 where the strategy guides would tell you to equip a certain sequence of materia and then tie a rubber band to the controller so it was always pressing certain buttons. I'm sure I'm not imagining this

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

What was that hardcore optional boss in FF7 where the strategy guides would tell you to equip a certain sequence of materia and then tie a rubber band to the controller so it was always pressing certain buttons. I'm sure I'm not imagining this

I have no idea. I am new to jRPGs and only just beat the games regularly this last year. I just loved playing them so much I want to play them more :)

bone emulator posted:

I just wished it wasn't tied to a disjointed mission based structure. I think I've started FFX-2 more times than I can remember and the whole structure of the game just kills whatever enjoyment I get from the dress sphere system and all the other wacky things in that game.

I am seriously digging it because it feels like a low stakes series of adventures rather than 'the world is ending!' that the others seem to have. I like to revisit Spira and see how the places have changed and what is going on. It has such a different feel to it and I am here for all that entails :)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
are any of you actually playing forspoken besides bp

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No I don't take chances on games anymore now they cost £55

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unless they have Dead Space in the title.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I can't define what bad writing is, but I know it when I see it. Also when I post.

Mehsticles
Jul 2, 2012
https://www.4a-games.com.mt/4a-dna/studio-update-exodus-sdk Metro: Exodus devs have released an SDK for their very good looking game, so I am looking forward to hopefully playing Not-Stalker in their engine (likely well after Stalker 2 comes out).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Looper posted:

It looked like rear end op so I'm not

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Forespoken cringe-chat is reminding me of when I saw The Force Awaknens in the cinema and within the first ten minutes, Oscar Issac's character says to whatever the bad guy is something like "Do you want to go first or me? How does this work?" like it was an episode of a sitcom. It was precisely at this point I remember thinking, "Oof, it's gonna be one of these movies..."

Actually, it's worse than I remember - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJbMdo0NyQw

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Looper posted:

I saw a guy play the opening 2 hours

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Failsharten

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

frytechnician posted:

Actually, it's worse than I remember

Yeah as was said above, treating the subject matter earnestly and playing it completely straight is how you engage your audience, cause they're willing to suspend their disbelief in how fantastical or whimsical the plot is

Treating every scene like a comedy sketch just pulls you right out of it.

OG Ghostbusters vs the remake is probably a good apple's to apples comparison.
Same concept, but the latter was a series of SNL improv sketches compared to "oh yes they'll be very discreet" *rocks up in the loudest gaudiest movie vehicle ever made*

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I am curious about the game even if it looks bad, but 70 dollars and also ridiculous PC requirements make me not wanna bother...And I don't really want to get it for console since there'd be no way to request a refund if I hated it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Maybe post launch patches might improve things for it?

Edit: swear my phone's autocorrect is the worst

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 25, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speaking of dialogue in games, looks like the Dead Space remake gives Isaac a case of the good ol' AAA Protagonist Mouth

https://twitter.com/Win98Tech/status/1618216286571626496?s=20&t=w99rkLQ8FFRkwHRUjbE3WA

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1618247681666875392

GoldenEye 007 drops on the Switch and Game Pass this Friday.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of dialogue in games, looks like the Dead Space remake gives Isaac a case of the good ol' AAA Protagonist Mouth

https://twitter.com/Win98Tech/status/1618216286571626496?s=20&t=w99rkLQ8FFRkwHRUjbE3WA

mutata posted:

What's up, rage-gamers! What are we complaining about today, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

There's nothing wrong with this tho? If he keeps harping on about the detonator/item then yeah fine it sucks, but that seems like good 'natural' dialogue?

armpit_enjoyer posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1618247681666875392

GoldenEye 007 drops on the Switch and Game Pass this Friday.

:getin: