Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Looks interesting, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Very meaningful Jan 6 pretrial ruling just dropped:
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1618076561269493761
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1618079711145635840
Some of it is various levels of :lol:no from the judge, such as the motion to transfer venue:

quote:

Defendant next argues that the “events of January 6 have impacted D.C. residents much more directly than persons outside the District,” such that “the aftershocks of January 6 continue to reverberate.” This is unpersuasive, as surely most crimes “more directly” impact the local area than elsewhere

Or the motion to dismiss counts 1 & 2

quote:

The Court declines to ignore the plain text of the statute in favor of such a “counter-intuitive" result.

The meat, which I'm still working through how I feel about, starts on page 36 and covers the motion to suppress the geofence evidence. Broadly, I think this is a real lovely set of facts to challenge the warrant on. As the tweet notes, the motion to suppress was denied. I do wish Justice, more than the judge, had gone further with distinguishing this warrant from the past and future abusive geofence warrants.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

Very meaningful Jan 6 pretrial ruling just dropped:
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1618076561269493761
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1618079711145635840
Some of it is various levels of :lol:no from the judge, such as the motion to transfer venue:

Or the motion to dismiss counts 1 & 2

The meat, which I'm still working through how I feel about, starts on page 36 and covers the motion to suppress the geofence evidence. Broadly, I think this is a real lovely set of facts to challenge the warrant on. As the tweet notes, the motion to suppress was denied. I do wish Justice, more than the judge, had gone further with distinguishing this warrant from the past and future abusive geofence warrants.

Whatever your intentions, if you are attending a march or protest, at minimum do not bring a phone

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Name Change posted:

Whatever your intentions, if you are attending a march or protest, at minimum do not bring a phone

Yeah I'm not seeing this as anything other than a massive expansion of the allowable encroachment on your 1st, 4th, and 5th amendment rights. This is the likely last time this legal precedent will be used against the Right.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump is going to destroy DeSantis in a debate. DeSantis totally froze last year on stage when Charlie Crist asked him if he would commit to not running for President in 2024.

Trump from 2016 would have effortlessly destroyed him. I'm not confident that a 78 year old Trump with covid brain in 2024 will destroy him.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 25, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump is going to destroy DeSantis in a debate. DeSantis totally froze last year on stage when Charlie Crist asked him if he would commit to not running for President in 2024.

So Crist won, right?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Not fair, McCarthy's going to spoil the fun.
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1618053796524851202

quote:

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on Tuesday told reporters he opposes legislation to abolish the IRS and replace federal taxes with a 30% sales tax.

Why it matters: The move effectively kills the legislation, which was part of a deal McCarthy made with hardliners in his conference to secure the speakership this month.

What we're hearing: Top Republicans told Axios that McCarthy's agreement only guaranteed the bill would get a hearing in committee — but that doesn't guarantee a floor vote.

"Any legislative proposal by any member would have to go through committee in regular order, have hearings, be marked up and be subject to amendment," Rep. French Hill (R-Ark.), one of McCarthy's negotiators, told Axios.
Rep. Jason Smith (R-Mo.), the chair of the tax-focused Ways & Means Committee, told Axios, "We're going to have a public, transparent hearing on that issue and we'll see where it goes from there."
Smith added, "Speaker McCarthy believes everything should work in regular order."
Between the lines: Democrats have already seized on the bill to attack the new Republican majority's fiscal policy as extreme, and some of the House's most endangered Republican freshmen told Axios they too are opposed to it.

Three New York GOP congressmen — Marc Molinaro, Nick LaLota and Mike Lawler, all of whom represent districts that President Biden won in 2020 — said they would vote against it if it came to the floor.
"It's not fair," LaLota said simply of his opposition. Lawler said, "I don't support creating a national sales tax."
By the numbers: Those four votes alone would be likely enough to kill the bill on the floor, with Democrats uniformly opposed and Republicans holding a narrow majority.

Was looking forward to more GOP own goals.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

if you’re a bully, you care about hierarchies and dominating others, and if you care about those things you’re going to be a Republican. if you somehow aren’t, then you are an incompetent bully.

LBJ was a bully and his domestic policy was pretty good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charlz Guybon posted:

Trump from 2016 would hqve effortlessly destroyed him. I'm not confident that a 78 year old Trump with covid brain in 2024 will destroy him.

DeSantis is all but incapable of responding to any level of push back, and ran terrified from a primary fight with Marco Rubio in 2016. Dude would be destroyed by Dan Quayle.

Which wouldn't normally matter, except DeSantis is coasting entirely on being a big strong man that all the chuds have heard about, but never actually seen in action. His performance in the debates will be his actual introduction to residents of 48.5 states. Melting down and freezing like a deer in headlights would be a performance only slightly better than whatever dumbfuck it was in 2016 who opened the first debate by displaying their ability to speak Mandarin.

Lib and let die posted:

So Crist won, right?

Charlie Crist has had a perfect record in statewide elections for well over a decade.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Not fair, McCarthy's going to spoil the fun.
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1618053796524851202

Was looking forward to more GOP own goals.

So who had "Before the end of January" as the first call to replace the Speaker?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Boehner was the day drinking Speaker because of dumb poo poo like this right? Wonder what McCarthy will do to deal with it. There's even more crazy in the party with a tighter margin now, so, ha.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gyges posted:

Which wouldn't normally matter, except DeSantis is coasting entirely on being a big strong man that all the chuds have heard about, but never actually seen in action. His performance in the debates will be his actual introduction to residents of 48.5 states. Melting down and freezing like a deer in headlights would be a performance only slightly better than whatever dumbfuck it was in 2016 who opened the first debate by displaying their ability to speak Mandarin.

This gets brought up a lot but hasn't it been pretty well established that debate performances don't meaningful move the needle for candidates one way or the other? The only one in my lifetime that I can remember just really tanking someone's chances was the VP debate with Admiral Stockdale way back in the 90's.

And I don't even really think that Trump "dominated" or destroyed everyone in his debates either so much as all the other idiots on stage split their following, since they all sucked, and Donald hoovered up support from the rest who wanted a new and different "outsider" who was not establishment and who would "tell it like it is".

GOP voters knew their candidates sucked and, in addition to being a household name, Trump was just there to be the fresh new model of modern conservatism born of talk radio and what not. Donald doesn't have that anymore and will have to hope that his dug in, rock solid, hardline cult of supporters is enough. If there are fewer candidates this time, that's gonna be more difficult to rely on.

I think that DeSantis looks like a genuine threat to win the nom and even the election.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

This gets brought up a lot but hasn't it been pretty well established that debate performances don't meaningful move the needle for candidates one way or the other?

You're thinking of general election debates. They can matter an awful lot in primaries where the differences between candidates can't just be their position on a topic.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

quote:

…virtually anyone who stepped inside the geofence had broken the law.

DOJ obtained info on ~5,700 devices but whittled down list to 1,500.

How to get from “virtually everyone” to one in three?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

smackfu posted:

I thought they said they weren't prosecuting anyone who didn't actually enter the building. It's possible they removed anyone on the edges that were in the margin of error.

Edit: actually, considering that it's talking about cutting down the list of devices, it could just be removing redundant entries (do you really need someone's cellphone and smart watch to show they were there?)

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 25, 2023

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yawgmoft posted:

You're thinking of general election debates. They can matter an awful lot in primaries where the differences between candidates can't just be their position on a topic.

Yeah in 2016 Chris Christie knocked out Rubio all by himself in one of the debates, charisma matters when there’s 8+ folks on stage

The real question is will there be another GOP primary clown car or are folks going to give trump a wide berth. I don’t see desantis scaring off challengers.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 25, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

BiggerBoat posted:

This gets brought up a lot but hasn't it been pretty well established that debate performances don't meaningful move the needle for candidates one way or the other? The only one in my lifetime that I can remember just really tanking someone's chances was the VP debate with Admiral Stockdale way back in the 90's.

And I don't even really think that Trump "dominated" or destroyed everyone in his debates either so much as all the other idiots on stage split their following, since they all sucked, and Donald hoovered up support from the rest who wanted a new and different "outsider" who was not establishment and who would "tell it like it is".

GOP voters knew their candidates sucked and, in addition to being a household name, Trump was just there to be the fresh new model of modern conservatism born of talk radio and what not. Donald doesn't have that anymore and will have to hope that his dug in, rock solid, hardline cult of supporters is enough. If there are fewer candidates this time, that's gonna be more difficult to rely on.

I think that DeSantis looks like a genuine threat to win the nom and even the election.

Debates will never really HELP you regardless of how well you do personally, but not attending or bombing the debate can HURT your chances

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

smackfu posted:

Starting numbers also included people who work in the capitol perhaps?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Eric Cantonese posted:

Is that actually the case though? From all the posts here, it sounds like they don't.

It's actually pretty hard to get your security clearance revoked or punished for mishandling documents if you are honest about it.

They actually have a giant public list of all the security clearance hearings they have and some of them are pretty wild.

This guy was approved to keep his clearance because he was honest in his testimony and was seeking therapy:

quote:

Within the next few months, Applicant purchased a firearm, a pistol, and took the required safety course, which included firing the weapon. He never purchased ammunition for the firearm and never fired it again. He told his spouse he bought the firearm because he knew doing so would upset her. Buying the firearm was part of a revenge fantasy of taking action against his spouse’s paramour that preoccupied Applicant for the next couple of years. In addition to buying the firearm, it included grave digging (two graves located in the woods), buying a cutting tool, and buying a canvas to wrap the body.

Applicant’s digging took place, weather permitting, during the months of about May–September on Saturdays when his spouse was at work. His spouse was aware of his digging activity in general because he bought a collapsible shovel for the task and he would put his dirt-covered clothing in the laundry. Applicant was careful in selecting a site in the woods where he thought his grave-digging activity would not be detected. Likewise, he brought along a book about fossils in the local region to use as a cover story in case he had to explain his digging.

Toward the end of the first summer in 2002, he had the impression that someone had discovered the hole, and so he found a new location in the same woods and began digging a second grave. His digging followed the same pattern in 2003 and 2004, when it ended. Applicant never confronted the paramour directly and spoke to him but once in 2002 on the telephone. Likewise, Applicant never went to the paramour’s home or place of work with the firearm or any other weapon. Applicant also sold the firearm and resumed counseling, which he has continued on a fairly regular basis until present.3 In addition, Applicant confessed his thoughts and actions to a priest in about 2003 or 2004.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's actually pretty hard to get your security clearance revoked or punished for mishandling documents if you are honest about it.

They actually have a giant public list of all the security clearance hearings they have and some of them are pretty wild.

This guy was approved to keep his clearance because he was honest in his testimony and was seeking therapy:

1. I love reading those
2. The classification system is all kinds of hosed up
3. That dude should not be part of a system where trust and judgment are required and if you must have a system like the one we do (you don’t, but you do in an era of failing institutions if you don’t want to respond to structural and political pressure in a meaningful way) then that dude should absolutely not be inside the circle of trust lmao

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Levitate posted:

Starting numbers also included people who work in the capitol perhaps?

5700 minus 1500 means 4200, which would be ~7 for every elected representative plus the VP there to do the certification. Not an unreasonable assumption.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We should actually trust people who do seek help and show consistency.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

We should actually trust people who do seek help and show consistency.

At a certain point you gotta be like “sorry man that’s too weird for us” and if getting your whole wifemurder scenario lined up and cooking isn’t that line for people I gotta ask what the gently caress

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

LBJ was a bully and his domestic policy was pretty good.

He was also a somewhat Southern democrat before Tricky Dick did the whole Southern Strategy thing. But despite being a sex-pest and a bully, it was a fascinating transformation of US domestic policy that transpired under his term. Right after Kennedy got his brain shot out, everyone was sort of feeling a national consensus, and LBJ was able to enact a lot of good stuff. But then there was Vietnam, and the civil rights movement (which upset a lot of racists), and suddenly LBJ felt himself politically neutered and had to drop out of what was surely going to be a humiliating primary election process. Ironic, given his lines of Humphrey, too.

But I guess any successful politician has to, in some way or another, be a bully at some point, because being a politician is about trying to enact your will against that of others. Or at least make agreements where neither side comes out particularly happy, especially in more parliamentary systems.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2021cr0687-79
Page 38:

The defendant argued that the "Geofence warrant" was to broad, the Judge counted with:

quote:

The Government responds that Defendant does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy over his location that day, or over his Google Location History data during the relevant period more generally. In the alternative, the Government contends that the warrant was not overbroad

The scope of location data captured by a geofence is limited by geographic and temporal parameters, so geofence warrants identify the physical area and the time range in which there is probable cause to believe that criminal activity occurred.

Page 40 shows a map of the area the warrant was for.
Here also starts the description for what/how the government got the data, and how it was analysed.

SniHjen fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 25, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Seems pretty far-fetched, but I have also learned to never write off the absolute dumbest thing from becoming our reality.

https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/1618259938970841089

quote:

Marjorie Taylor Greene aims to be Trump's VP pick in 2024

"She sees herself on the short list for Trump's VP," said former Trump aide Steve Bannon, who has spoken with Greene.

WASHINGTON — Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., is angling to be Donald Trump's running mate in 2024, according to two people who have spoken to the firebrand second-term congresswoman about her ambitions.

"This is no shrinking violet, she's ambitious — she's not shy about that, nor should she be," said Steve Bannon, the former top Trump aide who hosts the War Room podcast, where Greene has been a guest.

"She sees herself on the short list for Trump's VP. Paraphrasing Cokie Roberts, when MTG looks in the mirror she sees a potential president smiling back," he added, referencing Roberts, the late political reporter who worked for NPR, ABC News and other outlets.

A second source who has advised Greene said her "whole vision is to be vice president." The source, who has ties to Trump but spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private conversations, said he also believes Greene would be on Trump's short list.

That goal is at the heart of Greene's recent efforts to rebrand herself as a politician who can stand astride the divide between the party's hard-liners and its establishment wing, the sources told NBC News.

It also helps explain why she threw herself into helping elect Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., speaker of the House after the midterm elections and took assignments on two committees — Homeland Security and Oversight and Accountability — where she can participate in high-profile investigations of President Joe Biden's administration. Her push for McCarthy alienated some of her allies in the House Freedom Caucus and like-minded conservative activists, but that was a calculated risk, according to Bannon.

"She's both strategic and disciplined — she made a power move, knowing it would run up hard against her most ardent crew," he said. "She was prepared to take the intense heat/hatred short-term for the long-term goal of being a player."

Neither Greene nor her spokesperson responded to calls and text messages seeking comment for this article. Trump has not publicly given any indication that he is seriously considering a vice-presidential pick at this early point in the process, and aides did not respond to NBC News' inquiries about Greene's chances of ending up on a Trump ticket.

Trump and his two-time running mate, former Vice President Mike Pence, had a falling out over Pence's pass at attempting to overturn their 2020 defeat, and Trump's refusal to immediately call off supporters who ransacked the Capitol, searched for Pence and chanted for him to be hanged on Jan. 6, 2021.

Trump, the only announced 2024 candidate for president in either party, has struggled to get his campaign off the ground since launching in November. He plans to travel Saturday to New Hampshire and South Carolina — two early primary states — and he remains the favorite to win the GOP nomination in national polling.

Over the course of two campaigns for Congress and a little more than two years in the House, Greene has become one of the chamber's most prodigious money-raisers, one of its highest-profile figures and a pariah to many of her colleagues.

In the 2022 midterm election cycle, Greene collected just short of $12.5 million, a total that placed her in the top 10 of all House candidates, according to the Center for Responsive Politics's Open Secrets tally.

Her penchant for bombastic rhetoric is at the root of both her superior fundraising skills and her alienation of fellow lawmakers. Trump voters have reveled in her ability to agitate the Washington establishment and progressives. But her tolerance for violent rhetoric about Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and her embrace of conspiracy theories — involving supposed Jewish space lasers starting a California wildfire and Muslim congresswomen not being legitimately sworn in — were too extreme for some lawmakers in both parties.

In February 2021, the House, then-controlled by Democrats, voted to remove Greene from legislative committees as punishment for "conduct she has exhibited" that fellow lawmakers found detrimental to the reputation of Congress. Eleven Republican moderates joined all of the Democrats in voting to strip her of seats on the Budget Committee and the Committee on Education and Labor.

McCarthy stood by Greene at the time, facilitating the development of a political alliance. With Republicans taking control of Congress this month, the McCarthy-led GOP Steering Committee placed Greene on two panels that will give her a platform to attack Biden, who is expected to seek re-election.

They may also give her an opportunity to repair relationships frayed by her support for McCarthy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

smackfu posted:

"virtually everyone" was a phrase invented by the Twitter user, not an actual quote from the judge's opinion. However, the judge did say that being inside the Capitol building at the given times would constitute probable evidence of a crime.

The ~5700 devices were "devices that Google calculated were or could have been (based on the associated margin of error for the estimated latitude/longitude point) within the TARGET LOCATION."

The 1500 devices had "at least one location associated with the device that [was] within the [Capitol] building and the margin of error [fell] entirely within the Geofence".

In other words, the 5700 were devices that were probably within the Capitol building at the given time, and the 1500 were devices that were definitely within the Capitol building at the given time. There's a limit to the accuracy of geolocation, after all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t think it would be that surprising

It’s more likely he picks a crazy person than someone more ‘moderate’ like Pence this time

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

the Court’s best estimate is that the nearest (commercial business or residence) is no less than about a quarter of a mile away, or approximately 400 meters. [27]

[27]The Court, with no intended irony, used Google Maps to make this estimate.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Like I'm sure MTG "aims" to be the VP in 2024, obviously she does. I have "aims" to be signed to an 8 figure deal by the Dallas Mavericks, hasn't happened yet.

Obviously the best move is for MTG to align her "aims" of the vice presidency with a fellow girlboss with similar views on governance and join the ultimate maverick unity common sense ticket of Sinema/Greene 24

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why would anyone trust what Steve Bannon says to a reporter?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
She can aim to be VP all she wants, Trump will never let her. She has her own spotlight for her actions. A malignant narcissist would never tolerate anyone else getting attention.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Kristi Noem is definitely angling for VP in 2024 but she's far far more mainstream and palatable to the business Republican wing than MTG, Noem has carefully walked a line between being a Trump loyalist and not explicitly endorsing election theft or Q-anon stuff. Ticks all the boxes for "freedom" during COVID and trans panic stuff etc though.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

AtomikKrab posted:

Debates will never really HELP you regardless of how well you do personally, but not attending or bombing the debate can HURT your chances

That and its the narratives that happen afterward. so at the time the debate may or may not matter but how its spun and how the media takes it probably has some effect. I mean we know for sure Kennedy/Nixon the debate had some influence on the election (those who watched thought Kennedy won, those who listen thought Nixon won) and Sarah Palin ended up sinking McCain.

SniHjen posted:

the Court’s best estimate is that the nearest (commercial business or residence) is no less than about a quarter of a mile away, or approximately 400 meters. [27]

[27]The Court, with no intended irony, used Google Maps to make this estimate.

I mean there are some bars near the Library of Congress its all government buildings around there. I guess though, there maybe some apartments near by?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Fritz the Horse posted:

Kristi Noem is definitely angling for VP in 2024 but she's far far more mainstream and palatable to the business Republican wing than MTG, Noem has carefully walked a line between being a Trump loyalist and not explicitly endorsing election theft or Q-anon stuff. Ticks all the boxes for "freedom" during COVID and trans panic stuff etc though.

Yeah. I figure Noem is going to get the VP nod if Trump gets nominated again. It could alleviate some of Trump's problems with respect to women and establishment Republicans.

I don't know who else has been mooted for the role, though.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

selec posted:

1. I love reading those
2. The classification system is all kinds of hosed up
3. That dude should not be part of a system where trust and judgment are required and if you must have a system like the one we do (you don’t, but you do in an era of failing institutions if you don’t want to respond to structural and political pressure in a meaningful way) then that dude should absolutely not be inside the circle of trust lmao

I did defense contracting early in my career and I can tell you with absolute certainty that this guy sounds way more trustworthy than many of the chuds that I encountered in positions of power as civilians on the government side. All of them having had high-level TS-SCI clearances and deciding what projects would be on the receiving end of the government cash firehose.

Information security is needed for defense purposes. But the current system is a loving joke, top-down and inside-out. Also lmao for all of us who got our identities stolen when OPM was breached, that was a cool one.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wonder if any potential VP candidates would have accepted the post in 2016 but are a little turned off by that whole "sometimes DJT will lead/send a private army to attempt to murder you as part of a coup of the republic" thing. Seems like it would weigh heavily on a VPs mind! Maybe the sort of person with the ambition and connections to become vice president doesn't care though.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder if any potential VP candidates would have accepted the post in 2016 but are a little turned off by that whole "sometimes DJT will lead/send a private army to attempt to murder you as part of a coup of the republic" thing. Seems like it would weigh heavily on a VPs mind! Maybe the sort of person with the ambition and connections to become vice president doesn't care though.

From everything that has transpired in the past 20 years, I think the GOP's motto (and the thing that ultimately ties all Republicans together) is that whatever one of their comrades does is bad only if it doesn't work.

Look at Pence. The guy was likely going to get killed by those rioters for doing the right thing and he's still trying to suck up to that base.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eric Cantonese posted:

From everything that has transpired in the past 20 years, I think the GOP's motto (and the thing that ultimately ties all Republicans together) is that whatever one of their comrades does is bad only if it doesn't work.

Look at Pence. The guy was likely going to get killed by those rioters for doing the right thing and he's still trying to suck up to that base.

Trump has apparently turned around on Pence and now thinks he is being unfairly slandered now that he is tied up in classified documents issues.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1617955388560904192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mooseontheloose posted:

That and its the narratives that happen afterward. so at the time the debate may or may not matter but how its spun and how the media takes it probably has some effect. I mean we know for sure Kennedy/Nixon the debate had some influence on the election (those who watched thought Kennedy won, those who listen thought Nixon won) and Sarah Palin ended up sinking McCain.

I mean there are some bars near the Library of Congress its all government buildings around there. I guess though, there maybe some apartments near by?

eh probably not within a quarter of a mile I don't think....the Capitol is already in the middle of a large empty area and the for at least another block beyond that it's just government buildings before you get to townhouses and bars/restaurants.