Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cyberverse was a great show. By far my favorite versions of Grimlock, Soundwave, Hot Rod, and yes, even Tarn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The only thing I know about Tarn is it’s a cool looking toy. I don’t want or need to know more. I preemptively reject any attempt to “educate” me. Ignorance is truly bliss.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Joe Fisto posted:

The only thing I know about Tarn is it’s a cool looking toy. I don’t want or need to know more. I preemptively reject any attempt to “educate” me. Ignorance is truly bliss.

He looks badass.

That's all you need to know.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 24, 2023

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Feels weird but I have not paid attention despite buying quite a few Legacy figures. Do current releases have brief character bios on them and if so what does it say for Tarn?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DisposableHero posted:

Feels weird but I have not paid attention despite buying quite a few Legacy figures. Do current releases have brief character bios on them and if so what does it say for Tarn?

All bios are unlocked through QR codes on boxes that take you to a website. I’ll try to find Tarn’s for you

Edit - here it is: https://transformers.hasbro.com/en-gb/bios/ytrewqio

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 24, 2023

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

All bios are unlocked through QR codes on boxes that take you to a website. I’ll try to find Tarn’s for you

Edit - here it is: https://transformers.hasbro.com/en-gb/bios/ytrewqio

Thanks! I should have figured it was some cross media thing. Pretty basic inoffensive bio on it's own then.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I did my own bio for Tarn if anyone is interested. Keep in mind this is for my personal TF universe, though:

quote:

Tarn
Faction: Decepticon
Sub-Faction: Decepticon State Police

"True deception is an art, and a betrayal is the most beautiful song imaginable."

Tarn began life as a Cybertronian known as "Overload", known opera star and acclaimed master of the stage and screen whose rendition of the "Empyrean Suite" was known to bring tears to whomever heard it. But beyond the stage, Overload was a radical who bought into Megatron's rhetoric and professed the supremacy of Cybertronian society and the military. As Megatron rose to power, Overload supported him publicly, helping his popularity rise among the masses.

After the Siege of Iacon, Overload joined the new Decepticon faction formally. Upon doing so, his frame was rebuilt into a war machine, putting Overload on the level of his idol. Though insexperienced in the field of front-line combat, he was exceptional at rallying the troops. Morale sky-rocketed, leading to numerous vital victories. Overload was intrumental in taking the city-state of Tarn, and it was here that the loyalist earned his new name by taking it from the city itself. Soon after, he began to wear a faceplate made in the image of the Decepticons' symbol itself.

In the following centuries, Tarn was scouted by the Decepticon State Police's head officer, Garboil. He molded Tarn into the face of the organization, using both to weed out traitors to the Decepticon cause and to act as the group's outward "face" in order to cover-up the activities of its less famous agents. Tarn's cruelty and malice grew further under Garboil's tutelage, and he became a feared agent in his own right. Now, Tarn's words and appearance are enough to inspire both fear and obedience in the rank and file of the Decepticons.

Personality: Tarn is known for his sense of drama, which he uses to heighten tension and sow fear. Exceptionally cruel, he deals with traitors through torture, by which he breaks their spirits and convinces them to give up their secrets before singing them to a grisly end. That being said, his more outwardly facing methods are inefficient and only useful for distracting the Autobots from the Secret Police's more clandestine and effective agents. Nevertheless, his actors' panache lead to his serving his role effectively and to the satisfaction of his superior, Garboil.

Abilities: Tarn has the ability to completely shut down non-living electronics from a distance, which is what earned him the moniker of "Overload" during his previous life as an actor. He can cause limited effects on other Cybertronians through talking or singing, leading to paralysis and setting potential victims up for his torture. When it comes to warfare, Tarn is designed for shock and awe, possessing superior strength and powerful armaments. His signature weapon is his double-barreled fusion cannon, which draws on anti-matter as a power source. He transforms into a Cybertronian assault tank, which, in addition to his two fusion cannons, is equipped with a pair of front-facing pulse cannons.

Weaknesses: Tarn's greatest weakness is his own power; it can, at times, lead to unintentionally disabling himself or his own affiliates. Furthermore, the power source for his fusion cannon is incredibly inefficient compared to Megatron's, and can only manage a few, albeit extremely powerful, shots at a time. Finally, his assault-tank mode has poor speed, and when his ammunition is depleted, it is effectively little more than a powerless mobile turret.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He’s got some great light piping too!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Light piping, robotic body, mask... This man is a Bionicle.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Does the mask come off?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No, moulded as part of the head.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's okay, he still looks rad.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
Has anyone here ever bought anything from Robotoy Base? I’ve been on the hunt for Iron Factory’s Lord Scorpion and they have it and a couple DNA upgrade kits I’ve been searching for, however I mostly stick to A3UP, BBTS, TF Source and eBay for online stuff. Any good/ bad stories or any other places recommended? In Canada for reference

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean that did happen, in the YouTube cartoon for small children.

Often, writing for children can take the emotionally effective parts of a character and distill that into something fun and compelling while disposing of extraneous garbage.

Cyberverse had an oddly high body count of named characters, like it might actually be towards the top of the franchise in that regard, at least among the animated works

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Great Burrito posted:

Has anyone here ever bought anything from Robotoy Base? I’ve been on the hunt for Iron Factory’s Lord Scorpion and they have it and a couple DNA upgrade kits I’ve been searching for, however I mostly stick to A3UP, BBTS, TF Source and eBay for online stuff. Any good/ bad stories or any other places recommended? In Canada for reference

I haven't used them personally, but googling them there seems to be a lot of "are they a legit / trustworthy site" posts out there, and it seems that they are, but charge a lot for shipping to make up for lower upfront prices, in addition to sometimes randomly cancelling orders and being very slow to ship or address customer issues (from the sounds of things it's a one-man operation).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Good look for a good character.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Shiny mouse

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Anyone in US looking for Deformation Space Thundercracker or Skywarp (both with upgrade kits) or FansToys Perceptor 2.0? They are all brand new, never removed from packaging. I accidentally placed a double order with showzstore a long while back and I never bothered to return the duplicates.

TC and SW I got during a good sale so I’d pass my price onto you plus shipping (so like $105 with shipping for each). Perceptor was normal price but I’d be willing to let it go for a good price just to move it.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 25, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

No, moulded as part of the head.
I hope a 3rd-party add-on makes a removable mask, so I can make a situation where you remove the Decpticon logo mask to reveal a smaller Decepticon logo mask underneath.

I have several times, though not for the past couple years, but they're legit. But like Robot Style said they're basically one guy in Hong Kong who's a fan of robots, so shipping is expensive and slow. It's a better value if you can order multiple things to combine shipping.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Knormal posted:

I hope a 3rd-party add-on makes a removable mask, so I can make a situation where you remove the Decpticon logo mask to reveal a smaller Decepticon logo mask underneath.

I have several times, though not for the past couple years, but they're legit. But like Robot Style said they're basically one guy in Hong Kong who's a fan of robots, so shipping is expensive and slow. It's a better value if you can order multiple things to combine shipping.

Good to know thanks! Yeah I have a small list of things I’m going to put through at once.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

Shiny mouse

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's a great looking rat man

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The_Doctor posted:

Looks great, Where'd you get it? Amazon still says it comes out in March.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Seeing him only reminds me of Run for The Cube.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Target in the US, my final store run before coming back to the UK (literally just landed at Heathrow).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BizarroAzrael posted:

Hasbro Pulse just charged me for mine a few hours ago, I presume it’s shipping soon.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My Tarn shipped from In Demand a week ago so I assume they're about to hit UK availability any second.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I know nothing about Tarn so I'm going to choose to accept this as canon:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I like that a lot, actually. Really plays into the "oh great, this rear end in a top hat" vibe he would have had back on cybertron

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh that is BW Megatron's head

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dabir posted:

Oh that is BW Megatron's head

And faux-digigrade legs, and tank turret replacement for the dinosaur head, and mechanical greeblies that look like the t-rex teeth on his collar, and tank-treads on the back that echo the sticky-uppy bits. I really like it as a BW-Megatron vehicle mode.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

The MSJ posted:

Seeing him only reminds me of Run for The Cube.

No. Stop.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fil5000 posted:

My Tarn shipped from In Demand a week ago so I assume they're about to hit UK availability any second.
I'll be sprinting to Forbidden Planet the second I get a whiff of them hitting shelves.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody know a good place to get some Diaclone Reboot stuff? I don't mind if it's used, hell even if it doesn't come with the box, I just wanna get my hands on some of those guys.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Fsmhunk posted:

Anybody know a good place to get some Diaclone Reboot stuff? I don't mind if it's used, hell even if it doesn't come with the box, I just wanna get my hands on some of those guys.

I can't answer the where but as someone who got into it belatedly I can tell you that a lot of it shoots way up in price after release since it's rarely (if ever?) reprinted. Last time I got used stuff I went to e-bay and had decent luck but even then it was paying over what the item would have been retail at release.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I know nothing about Tarn so I'm going to choose to accept this as canon:

This artist's helicopter-mode Waspinator was picked up as a toy by a third party company. I wonder what happened to that?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

I have several times, they're fine.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fsmhunk posted:

I have been getting mine from BBTS. The prices are a little better than what you'll find on eBay, which I would only really recommend if you REALLY REALLY want one of the older ones, because the aftermarket prices are kinda nuts.

BBTS has the more recent ones available, and will let you preorder the ones coming out.

They're not gonna be cheap, no matter where you get them (unless you get that knockoff line, but the little guys for $30 USD or so feel cheap and will pop all their ball joints if you're not careful.) The Dia-Battles knockoff is pretty good but it feels a little lighter than it should.

The legit stuff feels smaller than it should, but also more solid and well-made.

They're all basically Polly Pockets and my daughter asks to play with them a lot so they can all have tiny adventures together. :3:

Anyway I hope that helped some.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've had MP Trailbreaker for a couple of days, and I think I like him a bunch! He has this weird sort of dichotomy, his legs and arms are almost entirely Big Chunks while his torso is Panel Origami, especially the backpack. But he transforms a lot easier and feels more solid than the one 3P Trailbreaker I have, the yellow MMC Terraegis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Transformers Generations Selects Leader Shockwave https://a.co/d/4RIGcjq

$35 for Leader Galactic Man Shockwave