Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The doomsday clock is so dumb. It's been sitting immediately before midnight since before my parents were born and every other year there is a dumb headline like "scientists move the doomsday clock up to xx seconds!!!" complete with a few uggos in lab coats making dour looks at the camera

Who cares

Also what good would a clock be if it flashed forward 11 hours and 53 minutes the second you bought it then sat at around the same time forever? It's a dumb metaphor to boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What kinda clock runs backwards anyway

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

The doomsday clock is so dumb. It's been sitting immediately before midnight since before my parents were born and every other year there is a dumb headline like "scientists move the doomsday clock up to xx seconds!!!" complete with a few uggos in lab coats making dour looks at the camera

Who cares

Also what good would a clock be if it flashed forward 11 hours and 53 minutes the second you bought it then sat at around the same time forever? It's a dumb metaphor to boot

yeah the doomsday clock sucks

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
If I haven’t said it already, the condescending and unhelpful way error messages are written now.

“Uh-oh, there’s been a little oopsie! Hold on, our elite tech ninjas are on the way!” without so much as an error code or something I can use to start diagnosing the problem.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The webp image format.

A bunch of sites seem to be switching their images over to webp, but nothing supports it so if you want to save an image and use it for something you have to open it up in an editor and save it as png. It's as annoying as the sites still using gif for static images.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

The webp image format.

A bunch of sites seem to be switching their images over to webp, but nothing supports it so if you want to save an image and use it for something you have to open it up in an editor and save it as png. It's as annoying as the sites still using gif for static images.

gently caress this, I keep running into it and it's obnoxious.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

.jfif while we're at it

nobody asked for this

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Bargearse posted:

If I haven’t said it already, the condescending and unhelpful way error messages are written now.

“Uh-oh, there’s been a little oopsie! Hold on, our elite tech ninjas are on the way!” without so much as an error code or something I can use to start diagnosing the problem.

This poo poo drives me up the wall. Not telling me what went wrong is bad! Misdiagnosing the problem and asking me to perform useless steps is even worse!

We had a PS4 ask us to "check our internet connection" because the account that was signed into it had been inactive for so long it wanted to send a verification email. But it just said "unable to sign in, check your internet", despite presumably getting a "No"-answer from the login server, rather than no answer.

Once I had the mail app on my phone prompt me for the password to my account (with no option to leave it unchanged, since I knew it was correct) because the mail server was down. Almost exactly the opposite problem, the login server not answering isn't the same as it answering "incorrect login". Again, the error message was just "unable to sign in".

Aaaa.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I hate the feeling I get in my hands sometimes. It's not like an ache or an inflammation or anything, so much as it's just... too much feeling. A deep feeling like my nerves just do too drat much and need a break, but there never is any. Hands just get used and used, and then when I sleep I almost always do something dumb with them. Poor hands.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I hate the feeling of fresh cut fingernails

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh Christ, yeah.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bargearse posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I loving despise this. It doesn't have to be a completely sterile page or anything, it can be an "[error code here] -- [brief description of issue] -- ["try again later"/"we're sorry and/or working on it"]" on a page that's styled like the rest of the site.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Milo and POTUS posted:

I hate the feeling of fresh cut fingernails

That's what the nail file is for. Round them off and get them nice and smooth.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I hate the term "fur baby" to describe pets. It just feels so infantile!

No, your cat is not your fur baby. It's your cat. You have a cat. Stop calling it your fur baby!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Every single time my phone updates something breaks. 100% of the time. This latest update has caused this issue where when I pair with my bluetooth, instead of it saying "pairing successful," it says "couldn't connect," but it is connected and all the bluetooth stuff functions as normal. So it's not really a hindrance. It's just baffling. Every time it updates I just prepare for some weird rear end thing to be broken.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

There was a lot of severe (for the area) weather where I am the past month and I always hear people from other places just brush it off like “this is nothing!” or “it’s like this everywhere!” :smug: Like okay, maybe you’re used to it from where you lived before but things are not built for that kind of weather here and it’s been really destructive and people have died. Not like the US is any good for infrastructure anyway but don’t be an rear end in a top hat about people dealing with weather that they’re not used to.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I loving despise this. It doesn't have to be a completely sterile page or anything, it can be an "[error code here] -- [brief description of issue] -- ["try again later"/"we're sorry and/or working on it"]" on a page that's styled like the rest of the site.

As much as I like to complain about Microsoft products, Windows does it right with critical errors. Blue screen, a message that says Windows hosed up and tells you what will happen best, a stop code, and a URL where you can go to look it up.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Have you ever clicked that url or scanned the qr code? It’s never useful

The error codes are useful though if it’s one of those 0x80000000 numbers

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't mind vague error screens because googling error codes inevitably turns up one thread from eight years ago with a hundred people having similar problems with no answer, and also one solitary guy asking about the error code with an edit that says something like "nevermind figured it out" with zero elaboration

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Silver Falcon posted:

No, your cat is not your fur baby. It's your cat. You have a cat. Stop calling it your fur baby!

My mother-in-law referred to her dogs like this and I pointed out to her that she has real babies, and I had married one.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Dysgenesis posted:

My mother-in-law referred to her dogs like this and I pointed out to her that she has real babies, and I had married one.

You married her skin baby

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's what the nail file is for. Round them off and get them nice and smooth.

No, I hate the feeling on my fingers

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh god that's so annoying. It might not be SO bad if the person were referring to a literal baby furry animal, but they almost never are, and it would still annoy me anyway.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bargearse posted:

As much as I like to complain about Microsoft products, Windows does it right with critical errors. Blue screen, a message that says Windows hosed up and tells you what will happen best, a stop code, and a URL where you can go to look it up.
...and a frowny face. :-(

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

mlnhd posted:

Have you ever clicked that url or scanned the qr code? It’s never useful

It’s better than nothing unless you feel like breaking out BlueScreenView or combing through the Event Viewer.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Related to the fur babies thing, it's not so much a peeve, but since having kids I've become much more aware of the absurd degree to which people infantilise and idolize their pets (especially childless people). I'll be honest, when my wife was pregnant with our first daughter I was genuinely worried that I wouldn't love her as much as the cat, but in hindsight that's an insane thing to worry about. I still love the cat, but the relationship you build with another actual human being is on a whole other planet.

So now when my childless friends still endlessly obsess over their cats (photos, social media posts, anecdotes, gooey voices) I just find it kinda pathetic and just smile politely. But I realize I was and would be exactly the same if my wife hadn't wanted kids.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't mind vague error screens because googling error codes inevitably turns up one thread from eight years ago with a hundred people having similar problems with no answer, and also one solitary guy asking about the error code with an edit that says something like "nevermind figured it out" with zero elaboration

Yes. Also, not exactly the same, but similar is this xkcd comic that I have found too-often relatable.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

jjack229 posted:

Yes. Also, not exactly the same, but similar is this xkcd comic that I have found too-often relatable.

My favorite version of this is when therre is a response of "Oh, okay. Please post every possible technical spec of your entire computer and everything inside and near it" then the original poster does that, then the thread dies. I swear there's people that just haunt tech forums to say "Post all your specs" in response to every question as a troll.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

theironjef posted:

My favorite version of this is when therre is a response of "Oh, okay. Please post every possible technical spec of your entire computer and everything inside and near it" then the original poster does that, then the thread dies. I swear there's people that just haunt tech forums to say "Post all your specs" in response to every question as a troll.

The worst is when the OP jumps in and says "I fixed it myself, thanks!" And makes no mention of how they accomplished this.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Indolent Bastard posted:

The worst is when the OP jumps in and says "I fixed it myself, thanks!" And makes no mention of how they accomplished this.

Haha this is very relatable.

Also frequently: Instructions on how to resolve issue no longer work because of software updates and GUI switcheroos but it seems like the only time anyone else ever had this problem was in 2013

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

They probably don't know

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

jjack229 posted:

This is without exaggeration the funniest xkcd I've ever seen. :lol::lol::lol:

And yeah, the relatability is painful, especially since I'm learning QA automation languages these days.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's kinda rare to happen upon the vestiges of the old internet nowadays but when you do it's like driving into a town that's been stuck in time for 70 years. Its familiar just everythings off.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's kinda rare to happen upon the vestiges of the old internet nowadays but when you do it's like driving into a town that's been stuck in time for 70 years. Its familiar just everythings off.

It feels like coming upon an (((ancient scroll))) or something when I'm reading some forum post and discover it's from 2002

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

credburn posted:

It feels like coming upon an (((ancient scroll))) or something when I'm reading some forum post and discover it's from 2002

I've been using google maps to look for potential job opportunities, and every once in a while I'll come across a company website that looks like it was ported from Geocities in 1999

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Princess and The Frog came out 14 years ago and my friends I am UPSET

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
"Coming Up:" scenes on anything streaming. It makes sense on TV to convince you to not change the channel during commercials, but if I clicked on your video on youtube or show on netflix/hulu/whatever I don't want things that are going to happen in 2-3 minutes to be spoiled. It has the opposite effect that it does on TV.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

credburn posted:

(((ancient scroll)))
/]

?????????

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The eternal annoyance of selling stuff chapter 53334: First message from a new contact, Sunday morning, 9am: 'Hey can I come by and pick this up now?'

The window for going 'hey can I pick this up right away' is right after something has been listed, or maybe if I'm online / talking to that person.
Just firing off like lightning from clear sky, and then going 'nah sorry not interested anymore' when I don't respond within an hour or so is incredibly obnoxious.

Please my dude, scheduling a pickup in a while, or a couple hours etc is fine, but just going NOW is really obnoxious.
You could have messaged me yesterday and I would have arranged a pickup if I knew it was coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Manager Hoyden posted:

You married her skin baby

This is how I will refer to her from now on.