Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Just soloed the Fume Knight for the first time. Other playthroughs I have just given up and got help from human phantoms.

Used the Moonlight Greatsword two handed and the Blossom Shileld on my back.

I will never git gud, but looks like I got half-decent. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

axolotl farmer posted:

Just soloed the Fume Knight for the first time. Other playthroughs I have just given up and got help from human phantoms.

It's a really hard fight, congrats on the solo kill! No shame at using phantoms, they're a core part of the series's identity.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If you solo'd fume knight, you are Certified Gud®

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Congrats. And even more so if you did phase 1 honestly. I just use Velstadt's helmet to skip it and just phase 2 from the start. I just can't deal with his dual wielding.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wish his phase change wasn't beholden to weird RNG bullshit.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

axolotl farmer posted:

Heyyy, I recently soloed Fume Knight for the first time with the same setup, good poo poo fellow DS2 player.

His spam with the regular greatsword in phase 1 took me ages to adjust to. I think it probably took me 40+ attempts.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

man i wish sotfs made it onto switch, i would probably beat it another half dozen times

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fuligin posted:

man i wish sotfs made it onto switch, i would probably beat it another half dozen times

That's it?

e: oh you mean the game

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Fuligin posted:

I keep hoping. I just want a somewhat-lively DS2 again.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

FireWorksWell posted:

I keep hoping. I just want a somewhat-lively DS2 again.

Imagine Belfry Luna being constantly active again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Return to Drangleic will be happening again soon, I'm pretty sure. :unsmith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
No matter how sweet, a lie will forever remain a lie!

:smith:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I'm doing my first ever playthrough of DS2, mostly blind. When there's stuff that's been bugging me for literally tens of hours I give in a go check the wiki but otherwise this game has been wonderful. I love how open the game feels compared to the first game and have spent my time just wandering from place to place and enjoying myself instead of a pre-determined path. I even backtracked and found areas I missed the first time complete with bosses I had skipped entirely like Executioner's Chariot and Old Dragonslayer ( :( ). Jolly cooperation has been at an all-time high as well, much more than in DSR.

Also coming off the back of DSR and BB It's by far the trolliest of the Soulsborne games I've played. Exploding dudes at dragon aerie is the latest one but the game definitely feels more mean-spirited in enemy placement and ambushes compared to the first. I'm not sure if I'll immediately dive into a new run or NG+ knowing what I know now or just move on to DS3 but it's been a fresh exciting and at times stupidly frustrating experience that I'm loving.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
DS2 is absolutely a troll but it's so clever about it, I can't be mad.

You should try NG+ on DS2! It's actually worth it in this game only!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Would I be screwing myself over if I redid my stats at the start of a NG+ run? I'd really like to mix things up next time as this one I just went fat with a greatshield and either craftmans hammer or gyrm great hammer. I'm coming off the back of doing 3 sorc runs back to back to get all the DSR trophies and I've tried no magic or dex stuff whatsoever in this game.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

The NPC invader shenanigans in DS2 include some of the most amazing Fromsoft trolls in any of their titles

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bonfire Ascetics rule.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

DeadButDelicious posted:

Would I be screwing myself over if I redid my stats at the start of a NG+ run? I'd really like to mix things up next time as this one I just went fat with a greatshield and either craftmans hammer or gyrm great hammer. I'm coming off the back of doing 3 sorc runs back to back to get all the DSR trophies and I've tried no magic or dex stuff whatsoever in this game.

Absolutely not, go wild. Though I'd recommend you redo your stats before moving to NG+, and take time to farm souls, buy titanite and upgrade your new sets of weapons. Otherwise you might be short of resources to do so in NG+ and it's annoying.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tosk posted:

The NPC invader shenanigans in DS2 include some of the most amazing Fromsoft trolls in any of their titles

Maldron the Assassin remains the greatest of all time

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Just when I think a situation can't get more annoying...

Forlorn invades.

Every. Time.

He's like Team Rocket of DS2. Just go away dude I'm not going to die to you and I'm busy doing other stuff!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DeadButDelicious posted:

As long as you have your gear prepared for the new statline, absolutely not, go hog wild.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I just started this game and I am not a fan of the D.E.N.N.I.S. system

D - Disrupt player
E - Exterminate ruthlessly
N - Nuke with spells
N - Never back down
I - Invade incessantly
S - Souls are forfeit

I eventually used one of the seeds that grow on the tree to aggro enemies on him and kited him through the hammer bros until he was dead

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
That tree only grows the seed when you get invaded, so Dennis got added there in Scholar as an organic way to tutorialize it - the system worked!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
And the small soapstone is wonderful. It's great to be able to summon folks to help with a difficult section but not actually commit yourself to fighting the boss, especially with depleted resources.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Return to Drangleic tomorrow! Except I already started a dude today, named him Hamsteak cause I had no cool name ideas.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I've played every From souls game to completion with the exception of Sekiro and Elden Ring which ive only dipped my toes in a little so far, and so far this game is giving me more difficulty in knowing or remembering where im supposed to go than all the others combined.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Return to Drangleic tomorrow! Except I already started a dude today, named him Hamsteak cause I had no cool name ideas.

Seems like it's already pretty populated, lots of people in the starting areas. Just tore through most of cardinal tower with 3 others.

Related: This is my second try - gave up pretty early the first time. Couldn't make powerstanced shortswords do a drat thing although maybe that was a skill issue. Also had total decision paralysis because stat allocation wasn't nearly as straightforward. So far so good, the mace is hilariously good for stunlocking stuff.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Glad I saw this! I’m at a lull between games while waiting for Wo Long and it’s been a few years, so I might actually participate this time. I’ll probably do a quality build on the way to using bone fists for the first time.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I made a Santier's Spear character and I've been terrorizing hosts with it. It has such a good moveset. 1h R1 pokes. Twinblade 2h R1s. A curved sword 1h running attacks. Halberd spin2win 2h running attacks.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Bonfire Ascetics rule.

I miss them in every game that has bonfires

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Should I be rationing the de-petrify sticks?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The game has enough to un-petrify all of the statues in the game, so there's no way to lock yourself out of something for good. Not all of them unlock something interesting though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
IIRC some of the branches are behind statues so if you do them in the wrong order you can lock yourself out.

Though sort-of helpfully there's one redundant statue in Shaded Woods you can ignore and Scholar added two to Aldia's that have crap.

Edit: There are inconvenient but extant ways to get more if you completely run out tho. In Scholar at least.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 27, 2023

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

There's never more than one branch behind a statue, so either you lose one branch or you break even with a new branch.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah there's a couple you should prioritize higher than the others.

Area - location:
The Lost Bastille - There's a guy blocking a bonfire. He's also an important merchant.
Shaded Woods - To the right of the Shaded Ruins bonfire there's a one-way bridge with a guy at the end of it.
Black Gulch - Follow the cliff all the way to the right and you'll find the guy.

The rest of em, go nuts!

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah there's a couple you should prioritize higher than the others.

Area - location:
The Lost Bastille - There's a guy blocking a bonfire. He's also an important merchant.
Shaded Woods - To the right of the Shaded Ruins bonfire there's a one-way bridge with a guy at the end of it.
Black Gulch - Follow the cliff all the way to the right and you'll find the guy.

The rest of em, go nuts!

Dont you need one for the gender bender coffin?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dyz posted:

Dont you need one for the gender bender coffin?

oh yeah that one too

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

There's also one in the shaded woods to get a key to free Ornifex for boss weapons

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Party Boat posted:

There's also one in the shaded woods to get a key to free Ornifex for boss weapons
that's the second one in my post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'd say I misremembered but I just finished my first playthrough of DS2 two days ago :ignorance: