Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PowerBeard posted:

Can't wait to get Forsaken next month and just soak in it.

I think you’re going to love Forsaken, it’s full of great action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

mistermojo posted:

I forgot how incredibly creepy the the spiders in Rain World are. it doesn't help that a dead one wound up in my shelter somehow

i'm playing northern journey rn and it's a masterclass in making insect/arachnid/crawly enemies deeply unpleasant

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Satisfactory has an arachnophobia mode that turns a type of enemy that is spiderish into a cat. Any other games have no spider modes? Thinking about it, spiders are probably the most common video game enemy? Top five for sure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

zoux posted:

Satisfactory has an arachnophobia mode that turns a type of enemy that is spiderish into a cat. Any other games have no spider modes? Thinking about it, spiders are probably the most common video game enemy? Top five for sure.
Grounded

Arachnophobia safe mode:
    Level 1: The spiders only have four legs instead of eight.
    Level 2: The spiders have no legs. Instead, they just float above the ground.
    Level 3: The spiders have no mouth. Their faces only have eyes on them.
    Level 4: The spiders' facial features are further simplified, becoming smooth round orbs.
    Level 5: The spiders' bodies have the same smooth orb treatment

I haven't played it, but it sounds creepy in its own way

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

grounded has an arachnophobia slider that goes from 1 to 5, making the spiders incrementally less detailed until they're just a vague floating sphere with eyes at 5

e;fb

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

zoux posted:

Grounded has an arachnophobia slider. Sliding it gradually removes arachnid characteristics from the giant spiders until they're eventually just a pair of floating single-colour blobs with a pair of red circular eyes.

EDIT: Triple beaten, christ

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Thanks for nothing, the only thing I'm more scared of than spiders is floating smooth orbs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah it’s definitely less creepy to have hyper evolved superior spider beings

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The arachnaphobia mode in Satisfactory is useless because cats are friends

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

more terrifying than the source material, really

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

All the arachnophobia mode does in Satisfactory is make you think that behind every cat lies some half-spider half-fleshy-car-engine monstronsity.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the spiders have no mouth and i must scream

mystes
May 31, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

the spiders have no mouth and i must scream
Try stridulating like an old world tarantula instead

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tirranek posted:

All the arachnophobia mode does in Satisfactory is make you think that behind every cat lies some half-spider half-fleshy-car-engine monstronsity.

I modded all the bad guys out because that's not why I'm playing the factory building game.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

zoux posted:

Evil West has an arachnophobia toggle. Havent used it, but there are a couple scenes in the game where go through through a large spider nest and theres countless fist-sized spiders everywhere

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shouldn't an arachnophobia mode INCREASE the amount of spiders? They will in my games, that's for sure.

mystes
May 31, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Shouldn't an arachnophobia mode INCREASE the amount of spiders? They will in my games, that's for sure.
all characters including you are now spiders

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

exquisite tea posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diOhwvRYlsU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

moosferatu posted:

Wait. I don't understand. What are all of those games above Silksong?
Sons of the Forest is a sequel to, of course, The Forest, which was a popular horror-survival game (emphasis on survival with this one)
Party Animals is a complete rip off of Gang Beasts by a different developer. it is such a ripoff that you'll just assume it's the Gang Beasts people, but it's not

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

zoux posted:

chess 2 by dave sirlin (pbuh) notably has no spiders in the entire game, so u could say it has arachnophobia mode on 24/7 :)
another game that does not have spiders is Touhou Kanjuden ~ Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Not a video game, but I recently enjoyed a novel called Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. If you're in to hyper evolved spider civilizations, give it a go.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

zoux posted:

Shadows Over Loathing has one, but it also has this, which turns a bunch of non-spider enemy encounters into spiders:

Selecting that option also allows you to select "Arachnophonia" which replaces all enemy combat sounds with chittering spider noises.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like that racing game that had a "Trans Pride Billboards" toggle in the option but it just changes the billboards from sometimes having a trans pride flag to every single one having one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pwnstar posted:

I like that racing game that had a "Trans Pride Billboards" toggle in the option but it just changes the billboards from sometimes having a trans pride flag to every single one having one.

Buck Up And Drive!

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Was The Day Before ever available to pre-purchase, or just for wishlisting? Having the second most wishlisted game in Steam with no pre-order revenue isn't a good reason to run off to the Bahamas.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
They stole all those wishes!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Don't think it was available to prepurchase. They might have used all the hype to secure some funding and then run off with that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there’s something tautological about a game i’ve never heard of before not actually existing

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think you’re going to love Forsaken, it’s full of great action

It's also on sale now for only $7 on GOG!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Rinkles posted:

I heard the pc version is prone to crashing, and Steam reviews seem to back that up.

fwiw it's very rarely crashed for me the several hundred hours I've played it. It's not a guaranteed thing like how it was for MW2 up until very recently.

Leal posted:

The arachnaphobia mode in Satisfactory is useless because cats are friends

That's why you toggle aggression off in the new experimental build. Now they're actually friends.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It’s called the day before because they’re going to rugpull it the day before its new release date

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Cowcaster posted:

there’s something tautological about a game i’ve never heard of before not actually existing

It's called the Anti-BioEnchanted Effect

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This was announced at Microsoft/Bethesda’s event today, and then promptly launched for $30. Seems pretty rad.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1817230/HiFi_RUSH/

https://twitter.com/xboxgamepasspc/status/1618360594989711360?s=46&t=LLXjGv0gei3GVceyecoEdg

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as a kind of degenerate rickroll my brother posted the link to the trailer for hi-fi rush with the demand i watch precisely the first 15 seconds of it because, spoiler alert, it literally begins with a record scratch, freeze frame, "so, you're probably wondering how i got in this situation". never going to touch the game in a million years.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anno posted:

This was announced at Microsoft/Bethesda’s event today, and then promptly launched for $30. Seems pretty rad.

https://twitter.com/xboxgamepasspc/status/1618360594989711360?s=46&t=LLXjGv0gei3GVceyecoEdg

Sweet, this is now available for download on Gamepass as well.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

as a kind of degenerate rickroll my brother posted the link to the trailer for hi-fi rush with the demand i watch precisely the first 15 seconds of it because, spoiler alert, it literally begins with a record scratch, freeze frame, "so, you're probably wondering how i got in this situation". never going to touch the game in a million years.

if you skipped the cutscenes you wouldn't have this problem

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

The gameplay looks cool. If Pizza Tower wasn't coming out tomorrow I might pick it up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the dialog in the trailer has some of that 90s cringe to it as cowcaster said, although i'd say it felt like a different flavor of bad than the other types of AAA bad writing. more just, jokes that don't work and stale humor. the "well at least things can't get worse" *things get worse* kind of humor. rather than lampshading "THIS trope again!" humor

but the art team put a lot of love into the game. i wish writing teams were in love with the material as much as the design/art team was for these AAA games. because the art direction is actually pretty good, the animation almost Orange-level for what is in-game engine character animation. and that was kind of my feeling on Evil Within 2 as well, where the art/design team had a ball and the writing team was dragging behind not having the same amount of fun (except for a couple of notable scenes)

i'll have to see how it reviews

this trailer also made me realize i should at some point give sunset overdrive a fair chance

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sunset Overdrive is one of those games that wants you to think it's fast but plays real slow.

I dunno if that makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Anno posted:

That's... the exact same style of commentary (in the Steam Page's Trailer) that everyone is dunking on Forsaken for. Is it a style of US children's show or something?

The animation style & detail looks top notch, tho.