Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
What is the damage formula for Chain Attacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

nrook posted:

What is the damage formula for Chain Attacks?

10% of the unit's health and 80% hit

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My Alfred is level 12, and is doing good in every stat except speed which clonking in at a solid 8 has made him the slowest man in the army not named Louis. Trying to decide if i want to try and save him with some speed wings or not.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Tae posted:

Late-game spoiler question with Emblems:

When do I get my beginning emblems back? I just beat chapter 16.

You Get back Leif and Sigurd after 17, I'm only up to ch19 so I bet the others will follow soon

I just checked and the 20% xp bonus skill from Edelgards Emblem only costs 150 sp to inherit, so thats 500 bond / 150 sp for a permanent 20% xp gain. Seems really, really useful for Maddening.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

Really the only earlier game units who feel fundamentally doomed to warm the bench are Boucheron and Lapis. Everyone else has a pretty strong chance to keep up if you keep using them. Boucheron just kinda gets outclassed early on, and Lapis has the unfortunate fate of being introduced precisely one chapter before a royal who does everything she does much better right off the bat. That's not to say Boucheron and Lapis are unusable, even on Maddening, just that using them is likely to be a conscious choice and not because they turned out so strong that they feel too valuable to replace.

Etie's around the same level, too, just because she has such a hard time getting Speed and Alcryst shows up with such good stats. Not sure if she's quite as doomed as Lapis but she does seem destined to be outclassed.

Lapis, at least, gets a personal skill that helps her be a little more dodgy and has no competition for going into hero, which lets her chain attacks double. Hero can get up to some shennanigans with the right support.

Harrow posted:

Speaking of mid-game recruits: Hortensia. I took one look at her stats, with her high Speed and Dex but pretty low Str and Mag for her level, and decided I'd rather use Ivy and Chloe as my fliers, but am I missing out? Does she have a niche I didn't notice right away? It's only been a handful of chapters so she's not so far behind that she couldn't catch up if I start using her. Maybe she's meant to be your dodge tank flier if Chloe didn't turn out?

You shouldn't underestimate natural +1 staff range from her personal skill. That can be a big deal in a lot of situations.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 25, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tae posted:

Late-game spoiler question with Emblems:

When do I get my beginning emblems back? I just beat chapter 16.

You'll start getting them back from chapter 17 on. If you want to know exactly when you get each, it's (more specific spoiler) Leif and Sigurd in chapter 17, Micaiah and Roy in chapter 19, Celica in chapter 20 and finally Marth in chapter 21.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Even though they're both swordsman, Diamand and Lapis are not that similar in roles especially when you try to factor in Emblems like Ike which is more suited to the former.

It's Kagetsu that utterly shits on Lapis as a unit if you want to compare investment.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkHtCSAcqQA

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
this game is loving magical

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
Looks like the developers accounted for dodge tank vs face tank matchups in the arena and will end a fight in a draw if it goes on for too many rounds

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Someone find the Edelgard/Zelkov

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

belatedly realized that, because this game doesn't use all of the buttons (Y and – dont do anything, AFAIK), I'm able to use a GCN controller, and it's like i'm playing FE9/10 again. incredible

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
lapis should have had a skill where she recovers a tiny bit of hp when she's on a grass tile

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Really big fan of how incredibly weird the entire cast is sans Alear, and also how quickly they let everyone around immediately them know how weird they are.

Yunaka owns because she's just pretending to be weird, but she is still also incredibly bad at letting it slip that she's not.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I finally got around to looking at character growth rates and Clann despite starting as a mage has a MAG growth of 10%, which explains a lot. Kinda wishing I'd seen some second seals by now, I can say that much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caidin posted:

I finally got around to looking at character growth rates and Clann despite starting as a mage has a MAG growth of 10%, which explains a lot. Kinda wishing I'd seen some second seals by now, I can say that much.
thats mostly because mage has a 25% growth rate. celine has the same final growth rate as him when you combine their character and base class.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Caidin posted:

I continually get the distinct impression that he's meant to be joining Alfred's muscle brigade, since he supports with them.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Blaziken386 posted:

belatedly realized that, because this game doesn't use all of the buttons (Y and – dont do anything, AFAIK), I'm able to use a GCN controller, and it's like i'm playing FE9/10 again. incredible

They do, - opens the unit full details screen and Y acts as a clone to R for speed up purposes.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Khizan posted:

Give Louis a javelin and march him into the archers. Use the javelin as your main weapon when you attack people, so it'll be equipped and he'll be able to counterattack archers. The problem will resolve itself.
Just as a heads-up, but if you have no one to attack you can switch weapons by going into items and equipping the weapon. It doesn’t even use up your action for that turn.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Caidin posted:

It's too bad he doesn't have a freakishly high Str growth or he'd be inverse Anna.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Just as a heads-up, but if you have no one to attack you can switch weapons by going into items and equipping the weapon. It doesn’t even use up your action for that turn.

The additional tip to this is that trading works the same way. You can put a unit next to one that has already moved, reorganize the weapon of choice to the top slot, and then exit out and still attack with the original unit. Note that once you trade you can't move again, so you'll have to commit.

For example, Unit 1 moves next to an enemy and attacks with an iron lance. This leaves them open to ranged attacks with no counter, so Unit 2 moves behind Unit 1, trades to swap their iron lance with a javelin, and then does whatever (like attacking the original enemy unit with a hand axe).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RuBisCO posted:

Yunaka owns because she's just pretending to be weird, but she is still also incredibly bad at letting it slip that she's not.

I appreciate that all her crit quotes are some flavor of a low menacing "you hosed up" followed by "Zappity, I did it!" after the kill.

Also speaking of Yunaka if you get her to Bond 5 with Ike the conversation is him going "Oooooh I get it you're an assassin, yeah I worked with a guy like that before, good dude" and Yunaka getting flustered about how she has no idea about this whole "assassin" thing.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

The additional tip to this is that trading works the same way. You can put a unit next to one that has already moved, reorganize the weapon of choice to the top slot, and then exit out and still attack with the original unit. Note that once you trade you can't move again, so you'll have to commit.

For example, Unit 1 moves next to an enemy and attacks with an iron lance. This leaves them open to ranged attacks with no counter, so Unit 2 moves behind Unit 1, trades to swap their iron lance with a javelin, and then does whatever (like attacking the original enemy unit with a hand axe).

Though keep in mind that since Engage weapons aren't traditional inventory items, you can't use Trade to make another unit change to or from an Engage weapon.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Sydin posted:

I appreciate that all her crit quotes are some flavor of a low menacing "you hosed up" followed by "Zappity, I did it!" after the kill.

The highlight of the game for me so far is chapter 8, where I was using Yunaka to shave the boss down so I could get EXP on someone else. I think the boss had a 40% hit, and Yunaka was at like 3% crit. Boss whacks her for 80% if her health, and on the clapback she does the "you loving idiot your life is mine" crit and then the chapter just ends. So funny and appropriate

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
What are you guys spending bond points on? I'm on chapter 8 and there are so many little systems/shops in place.

lih
May 15, 2013

the best use seems to be levelling up emblem bonds in the arena, it's pretty cheap

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

poe meater posted:

What are you guys spending bond points on? I'm on chapter 8 and there are so many little systems/shops in place.

Once you get Leif Emblem you can try gambling for Olwen's S Ring

Otherwise using them to befriend the Emblems in Arena and unlock those sweet skills seems to be the standard.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah the only real use for bond points is leveling up your emblems and engraving at the forge. Don't spend any points leveling up those noname bond rings. Just make sure you have enough to equip your roster with them.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Why does Zelkov talk like *this*? Adding *emphasis* to seemingly *random* words certainly was a decision.

(I'm assuming that in japanese the words in question were written with katakana instead of kanji, which is something that... really doesn't translate well to english at all.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Why does Zelkov talk like *this*? Adding *emphasis* to seemingly *random* words certainly was a decision.

(I'm assuming that in japanese the words in question were written with katakana instead of kanji, which is something that... really doesn't translate well to english at all.)

In his C support with Alear he says he does it just to mildly amuse himself.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

Out of a bunch of odd character quirks his has got to be the weirdest for me because it's so slight and, just, what is going on with you my guy. I haven't seen anyone comment on it yet so it just makes it all the more strange.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Harrow posted:

In his C support with Alear he says he does it just to mildly amuse himself.
okay i changed my mind, this is an A+ reason to randomly add emphasis, criticism retracted

lih
May 15, 2013

the bond ring gacha is so weirdly expensive for what it is

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lih posted:

the bond ring gacha is so weirdly expensive for what it is

Yeah I don't quite get that one. Like yeah everybody who doesn't have a full emblem ring wants a bong ring so they can get some SP but the stat buffs are extremely minor even on S rank rings. Also melding rings gets hugely expensive for no reason.

Honestly the whole ring gatcha mechanic feels kinda half baked.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Caidin posted:

... the item shop has multiple second seals fairly early?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Really the only earlier game units who feel fundamentally doomed to warm the bench are Boucheron and Lapis. Everyone else has a pretty strong chance to keep up if you keep using them. Boucheron just kinda gets outclassed early on, and Lapis has the unfortunate fate of being introduced precisely one chapter before a royal who does everything she does much better right off the bat. That's not to say Boucheron and Lapis are unusable, even on Maddening, just that using them is likely to be a conscious choice and not because they turned out so strong that they feel too valuable to replace.

Etie's around the same level, too, just because she has such a hard time getting Speed and Alcryst shows up with such good stats. Not sure if she's quite as doomed as Lapis but she does seem destined to be outclassed.

I think Boucheron is in a weird spot because there’s such a dearth of axe users. You have Vander, who is destined for the bench after the early game, and Anna, who really needs to Second Seal out of axe fighter to get rolling.

Axe engages aren’t really a thing for like a third of the game either. You could use Aymr, but it’s a situational weapon at best, so you have to wait until Chapter 9 for Leif’s Killer Axe. All this kept me using Bouche when I would’ve benched him and he’s an A lister now.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

OddObserver posted:

... the item shop has multiple second seals fairly early?

Oh. I somehow forgot about that thing. I should probably check it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Boucheran's niche is that he's fast and has high Bld growth, so he's probably one of the only characters that can double with heavy-as-poo poo Silver Axes. And Chain Attack IIRC is based off the HP, so he's a good supporter in general.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
What would be a good class to reclass Rosado into? I reclassed Jade into a Wyvern Knight with the exact same weapons as him and I don’t want them competing over the same niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Boucheran feels like an ode to Nolan: an early game axe fighter with a surprisingly high spd growth who can do a little tanking on the side in a pinch if needed.