Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My *uuuuurp* racist Asian impersonations w*urrrrp*eren't stickin', Morty! It's l-l-like they were made of adamantium...like the jokes were havin no effect! You threaten to sell a girl i-i-into sex slavery and she-*urp*-she says she's got to go to school, Morty! She's underage! It's no good in the eyes of the law! I got to groom her for *urp* two more years, Morty! You know how long t-that is on this planet, Morty?

EDIT: What a fuckin snipe

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My *uuuuurp* racist Asian impersonations w*urrrrp*eren't stickin', Morty! It's l-l-like they were made of adamantium...like the jokes were havin no effect! You threaten to sell a girl i-i-into sex slavery and she-*urp*-she says she's got to go to school, Morty! She's underage! It's no good in the eyes of the law! I got to groom her for *urp* two more years, Morty! You know how long t-that is on this planet, Morty?

EDIT: What a fuckin snipe

I think it's a testament to your talents I read all that in his voice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just do the anime version from here on out. Japanese VAs, subtitled in English.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

IDK, I feel like even Zaslav would see what a cultural phenom (for better or for worse lol) R&M is and won't can it unless Roiland's departure really does a number on the show's, well, numbers. Which I hope it won't because I still like the show (even if I've heard a lot of people insisting it's gone downhill) and like people have noted, Roiland wasn't nearly as involved in the writing process. But yeah, the crazies are still out there, I hope this doesn't trigger some dumb poo poo from them.

Even still, I figgure they would've sunset R&M if not for Zaslav leaning on them 24/7/365.25 looking for an excuse.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Every time I hear about something like this I ponder the savage sub vs. dub fights Japanese fans have just like in the west. (It's a small world after all...)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I watched Velma episodes 1 and 2 and I guess I’m a broken person because i found it entertaining? Like it’s not a show I’d watch seriously and think about but it seems like an ok “poo poo i have 20-30 minutes with nothing to do what’s on streaming right now” show.

I feel like a lot of the takes on the jokes and still images/memes were taken out of context or misrepresented after seeing them actually play out.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Aw geeze, Rick. I-i-it's amazing how fast you can get cancelled once everyone realizes that y-y-you're an actual piece of poo poo and not just acting like one. I mean, not everyone is surprised, we just didn't know how terrible you actually were. Wow-eee.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

Every time I hear about something like this I ponder the savage sub vs. dub fights Japanese fans have just like in the west. (It's a small world after all...)

Listen and be dismayed. My disappointment is palpable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JRH6KegcdE

I bet you there's some Japanese forum fights going on about how the Japanese Dub of King of the Hill is awful because it fails to capture the nuance of Texas and Boomhaur slang.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
First new episode, the new VAs are either entirely uncommented on, or you see the bodies of Rick & Morty mostly stuff into a garbage can, implying that they were replaced by universe-jumping doppelgangers.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dawgstar posted:

I've heard rumors that there are aggressive arguments among Japanese fans over wether the sub or dub version of King of the Hill is better.

Edit:

Arc Hammer posted:

Listen and be dismayed. My disappointment is palpable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JRH6KegcdE

I bet you there's some Japanese forum fights going on about how the Japanese Dub of King of the Hill is awful because it fails to capture the nuance of Texas and Boomhaur slang.

gently caress! You beat me to it....

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I Am Fowl posted:

First new episode, the new VAs are either entirely uncommented on, or you see the bodies of Rick & Morty mostly stuff into a garbage can, implying that they were replaced by universe-jumping doppelgangers.

I don't see how you don't have them dig up the existing graves for shock value and Morty retching.

They've been kind of building towards bringing Space Beth and Summer into their own adventures, why not just shift focus and reduce the roles of Rick and Morty in the show. You can even change the title like Aquateen did.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

pixaal posted:

I don't see how you don't have them dig up the existing graves for shock value and Morty retching.

They've been kind of building towards bringing Space Beth and Summer into their own adventures, why not just shift focus and reduce the roles of Rick and Morty in the show. You can even change the title like Aquateen did.

id say shifting the show to summer would be awful because shes so insufferable but then you have Morty... Pure strain Morty episodes only work because the viewer witnesses how he causes his own downfall. I think a season of pure Summer wouldn't work because her character is capable of recognizing the oncoming disaster and always finds a way to fix it or to egress.

They're just gonna swap out the VAs for someone that sounds close enough and the show will go on for another few seasons. It's one of their biggest cashcows, there's still milk left in those udders

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

AmbientParadox posted:

They're just gonna swap out the VAs for someone that sounds close enough and the show will go on for another few seasons. It's one of their biggest cashcows, there's still milk left in those udders
It's that. Everyone is thinking way too hard about this.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

AmbientParadox posted:

id say shifting the show to summer would be awful because shes so insufferable but then you have Morty... Pure strain Morty episodes only work because the viewer witnesses how he causes his own downfall. I think a season of pure Summer wouldn't work because her character is capable of recognizing the oncoming disaster and always finds a way to fix it or to egress.

Well, not always. Summer's fatal flaw is her hedonism. She's smart and determined but also easily distracted by trends, popularity, a need for validation, drugs, or some other cool thing that catches her attention. Most of Summer's plots revolve around her dedicating to something obviously dumb or self destructive because it makes her momentarily happy because she's a sucker for instant gratification.

Anyway, I have to give credit where credit is due: Velma did an Inch High Private Eye joke that made me laugh, so whoever is on the writing staff that came up with that gag is alright in my book. Thank you for keeping Harvey Birdman's legacy of making jokes about obscure Hanna-Barbera characters alive (the new Birdgirl reboot really dropped the ball on that front).

And now for some complaints I have about the writing:

1) Why is everyone acting like they don't know what bisexuality is? Velma is attracted to both to both Fred and Daphne and she and every other character on the show is acting like this is some big CRAZY thing that's just totally unheard of, but, like, it's not? Velma is bisexual. That's fine. Move on, stop spending multiple episodes acting like being attracted to two different genders is weird and shocking. And speaking of Fred and Daphne...

2) Fred and Daphne are dating in the first episode, but then the show just immediately forgets about this and they both fall in love with Velma. I guess it's pretty authentic to the High School experience for two people to just give up on their relationship and starting crushing on someone else, but even by fickle high school standards this feels jarring. Couldn't you have at least included a scene of them breaking up before they started thirsting for Velma? And speaking of high school....

3) Please stop blatantly sexualizing underage teen girls. the episode that had that really good inch high private eye joke also had a plot point where a bunch of high school girls had to do a sexy dance to clear a traffic jam and it was pretty uncomfortable. If you want to make a super horny sex positive show can you at least make all the characters adults? Just set the show in college and make everyone in their twenties, you wouldn't have to change that much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They want that sweet aweet anime watching crowd.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

There actually is.

90s Japan was huge on dubbing American stuff into Japanese but they've got their own vocal "original voices only" crowd ensuring that subtitled films get into theaters.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

They want that sweet aweet anime watching crowd.

The cast doesn't look doe eyed and vapid enough to tickle that group's fancy. It'd need to be more moe and everyone would need to speak like a lisping third grader first off.

edit: I hate to be pedantic but I feel like I need to specify no not all anime watchers are into lolicon. But I've seen a disturbing uptick in pandering towards that group in recent years with modern anime.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 25, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Westerners love Sexy Teens, this is hardly a unique phenomenon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Yeah, same weird poo poo just a different take on it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Countblanc posted:

Yeah, but Velma is still doing it in a way that feels kind of weird and skeezy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

1) Why is everyone acting like they don't know what bisexuality is? Velma is attracted to both to both Fred and Daphne and she and every other character on the show is acting like this is some big CRAZY thing that's just totally unheard of, but, like, it's not? Velma is bisexual. That's fine. Move on, stop spending multiple episodes acting like being attracted to two different genders is weird and shocking. And speaking of Fred and Daphne...

To be fair, this is pretty true to life.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxIBftflGvg

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 25, 2023

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

It is already happening.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Also apparently he's been given the boot from Solar Opposites and Koala Man now too

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You love to see a horrible person’s career start to implode.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bussamove posted:

You love to see a horrible person’s career start to implode.

Start to implode? Its already imploded. He has been kicked out of both the TV industry and the games industry, and he probably won't be able to sneak back in after a few years.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Flopsy posted:

edit: I hate to be pedantic but I feel like I need to specify no not all anime watchers are into lolicon. But I've seen a disturbing uptick in pandering towards that group in recent years with modern anime.

Hold up, they have anime where people doing beat the living poo poo out of each other in big robots? hosed up if true OP.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Start to implode? Its already imploded. He has been kicked out of both the TV industry and the games industry, and he probably won't be able to sneak back in after a few years.

If it was anyone else, I'd say maybe but Roiland was already weird enough that he was only really known or liked by industry insiders who were kinda weird themselves, though the normal, less toxic kinda weird in their case. Very good chance that he is simply too repellent for anyone to give him another shot.

In other news, I guess more ATHF is happening?

Ajaxify posted:

I'd love a Venture Bros revival too, but instead I'll settle with 5 new episodes of ATHF

https://tvline.com/2023/01/25/aqua-teen-hunger-force-season-12-adult-swim-new-episodes/

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ups_rail posted:

so this youtuber named meat canyon did a velma parody where velma needs to make out with daphne for a panic attack.

Is velma like so bad its good territory?

I thought that was a clip directly from the show

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skippy McPants posted:

In other news, I guess more ATHF is happening?

Right on!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, not always. Summer's fatal flaw is her hedonism. She's smart and determined but also easily distracted by trends, popularity, a need for validation, drugs, or some other cool thing that catches her attention. Most of Summer's plots revolve around her dedicating to something obviously dumb or self destructive because it makes her momentarily happy because she's a sucker for instant gratification.

Anyway, I have to give credit where credit is due: Velma did an Inch High Private Eye joke that made me laugh, so whoever is on the writing staff that came up with that gag is alright in my book. Thank you for keeping Harvey Birdman's legacy of making jokes about obscure Hanna-Barbera characters alive (the new Birdgirl reboot really dropped the ball on that front).

yeah, summer is like me, someone who falls inlove hard and fast for anything that makes them decently happy and usually with mixed results.

also was that birdgirl show anygood? i tried watching it and it just didnt make me laugh because it played everything super straight talking comedy instead whatever the loving harvey birdman was.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also was that birdgirl show anygood? i tried watching it and it just didnt make me laugh because it played everything super straight talking comedy instead whatever the loving harvey birdman was.

It was...okay. Whenever it tries to go off the rails and make the characters crazy assholes and capture some of Harvey Birdman's essence, it's fine. But a lot of the time, the characters feel too flat and...smug? I like Harvey Birdman more.

EDIT: I should qualify that when I say "smug", I mean "smug" like a cartoon mascot might be when selling car insurance in a commercial, not "smug" like "Phil Ken Sebben smugly claims he can fist fight a T-Rex".

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 26, 2023

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It was just kind of there. When they decided to actually do jokes it wasn't bad but episodes just kind of happened and they were more "weird" than funny a lot of the time. And the cast of characters just didn't really stack up to the originals.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Warbird posted:

Hold up, they have anime where people doing beat the living poo poo out of each other in big robots? hosed up if true OP.

How dare you remind me Kiss Players was a thing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh my loving lord. Screw you for making me remember that. Also auto correct really gummed that one up didn’t it?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Warbird posted:

Oh my loving lord. Screw you for making me remember that. Also auto correct really gummed that one up didn’t it?

Eh I've done worse. If it's any comfort I didn't even notice till you pointed it out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did a rewatch of The Brak Show after not having seen it since the original run and it was kind of the definition of a mediocre show. It becomes clear that there isn't much to Brak's character since they spend a lot more time with Dad as the series goes on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Brak Show was practically a kids show that probably only wound up on Adult Swim because Space Ghost had moved to it. its humor For Adults was the same humor For Adults that you see in any decent all-ages film or show

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I never cared for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The_Doctor posted:

Bushworld Adventures.

R&M started to lose me during S3 and I gave up I think after 4, but burn off the rest of their contract with [as] with that and I'm here for it.

I stumbled upon Bushworld when they had the endless stream of it (alternating with the claymation and Run The Jewels music video as bumpers between airings) and think I watched it like 5 or 6 times in a row in amazement.

At work. (Albeit with earbuds in.)

e- KICK THE BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 27, 2023