Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

He got run over by a thing with treads that aren't much different from a combine harvester.

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of weird that they're doing Ant-Man commercials for non-alcoholic beer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

It's kind of weird that they're doing Ant-Man commercials for non-alcoholic beer.

Don't drink and shrink

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Angela Bassett received an Oscar nomination for her performance in Wakanda Forever

https://twitter.com/theacademy/status/1617878360897777665?s=46&t=FfxyYQ2bDLXX9f-UVkCt7w

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Angela Bassett received an Oscar nomination for her performance in Wakanda Forever

https://twitter.com/theacademy/status/1617878360897777665?s=46&t=FfxyYQ2bDLXX9f-UVkCt7w

She has to be the favorite. It was a big showy performance and she's worthy of a lifetime achievement win. Get it done, Feige.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

muscles like this! posted:

I miss the days when Ant-Man commercials were about hamboning and yelling, "ANTS!"

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

live with fruit posted:

She has to be the favorite. It was a big showy performance and she's worthy of a lifetime achievement win. Get it done, Feige.

Angela put, as the children say, her whole-rear end pussy on the role

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
And so Black Panther became the house Oscar brand

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kind of astonished Wakanda Forever didn't get nominated for Best Original Score this time. The last movie won that category! Göransson's scores for those films are incredible!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

FlamingLiberal posted:

it's a bummer Stephanie Hsu had to compete in the same category

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah it feels like Bassett has the momentum behind her. It's hers to lose.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

site posted:

it's a bummer Stephanie Hsu had to compete in the same category

Hsu's reward will be getting a role in Eternals 2.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

live with fruit posted:

Hsu's reward will be getting a role in Eternals 2. as Silk in a Sony-Shared-Universe film

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Oof.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Don't make me sad, all these great characters around Spider-Man, locked in a cage made by Sony. You'd think they'd just go "hey Feige, you put this thing together, we'll finance it so we'll get the lion shares of the money" because the Marvel Spider-Man movies have all been massive hits and among the best films, and they can do that with the others, but nope, they gotta put their own mark on things.

I enjoyed Venom but its pretty silly and not a good movie despite being fun outside of the really gross eating parts, I really should watch Let There Be Carnage some day.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I still need to watch Venom 2

The original is the best comic book movie of 2002 but it came out in 2020 for some reason

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still need to watch Venom 2

You don't.

It's fine, but it is basically a worse version of the first movie in every way and not essential viewing at all.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yeah it lost the stupid 90s charm the first movie had, it has some moments (eddie and venom having relationship issues and them hashing it out) but the carnage parts sucked.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You don't.

It's fine, but it is basically a worse version of the first movie in every way and not essential viewing at all.

I found that they made the sequel by taking all the parts people enjoyed from the first movie and ramping those aspects up until it was annoying. All the accidental charm of the first movie just felt forced in the second.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Really just need a super cut of the Eddie/Venom scenes and you’ll have everything of worth from that movie condensed into 15 minutes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The funny thing is that Venom 2 received a much better (but, still bad at 56% rotten tomatoes score) than the original. And I have to think that it was because critics overcorrected after giving the first one a 30% and then it becoming a financial success.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The best part of Venom 2 is Woody Harrelson and Naomie Harris playing characters the same age.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Say what you will about Let There Be Carnage, it’s a movie that, whenever I come across it on TV, I leave it on in the background and have a good time half-watching whatever’s left of it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

live with fruit posted:

The best part of Venom 2 is Woody Harrelson and Naomie Harris playing characters the same age.

lol, I forgot about that. They are both supposed to be in their 30's.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

lol, I forgot about that. They are both supposed to be in their 30's.

Wait, they casted actors in their 40s and 50s to play 30 somethings?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Azubah posted:

Yeah it lost the stupid 90s charm the first movie had, it has some moments (eddie and venom having relationship issues and them hashing it out) but the carnage parts sucked.
Well that’s disappointing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JT Smiley posted:

Wait, they casted actors in their 40s and 50s to play 30 somethings?

Woody is in his 60's and Harris is in her 40's.

Both of them are supposed to be in elementary school in 1996 in the movie.

Lmao.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Venom 2 is way stupider and way better than the first. The first felt like a movie that had all its weird energy come from Hardy on the day and some how they had to put it in, where’s 2 was like alright let’s do that from the get go.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
venom 2 was alright for the first 1/3 where it's just venom and Eddie being married but as soon as the carnage stuff starts it's bad. not good-bad, just bad

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

as soon as the carnage stuff starts it's bad. not good-bad, just bad

That sounds right for everything I've ever read featuring Carnage

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I enjoy the over-the-too Carnage stuff in the comics, because a character like that shouldn’t be taken seriously

Venom is also generally in that category but not to the same degree

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CelticPredator posted:

Venom 2 is way stupider and way better than the first. The first felt like a movie that had all its weird energy come from Hardy on the day and some how they had to put it in, where’s 2 was like alright let’s do that from the get go.

Yeah, I feel that with the first movie, it's entirely carried by Hardy going ham in his double role while everyone else is going by the numbers. The mad scientist villain sucked and Riot's appearance as Venom's Armor King fell so flat. So they decided that when it came to a sequel, cast someone who can match Hardy's ham levels as the villain and do a better job building the villain symbiote as the T-1000 to Venom's T-800. The fact that they tried to ignore Woody's age just so they could fulfill this Natural Born Killers callback stunt casting made it even sillier and better.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

i thought it was good when carnage said "LET THERE BE CARNAGE" while dramatic music played and lightning crashed behind him. I didn't think anything else he did was good but that made me laugh

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I love stupid.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gavok posted:

Yeah, I feel that with the first movie, it's entirely carried by Hardy going ham in his double role while everyone else is going by the numbers.

I do miss Jenny Slate in part 2, though. She's delightful in everything I've seen her in.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Don't make me sad, all these great characters around Spider-Man, locked in a cage made by Sony. You'd think they'd just go "hey Feige, you put this thing together, we'll finance it so we'll get the lion shares of the money" because the Marvel Spider-Man movies have all been massive hits and among the best films, and they can do that with the others, but nope, they gotta put their own mark on things.

I enjoyed Venom but its pretty silly and not a good movie despite being fun outside of the really gross eating parts, I really should watch Let There Be Carnage some day.

I just watched it.

Its absolutely a terrible film, with way too much focus on its one note and laughable villains (though it is responsible for me guffawing at how bad some of their lines were, YOU WERE MY PRECIOUS LIGHT).

But Hardy and the symbiote are still funny together, so I'd say its worth just putting in the background and never seeing it again. Also the fact that its climax and any sort of excitement from its conflict is super lame is ameliorated by how short it is.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Madkal posted:

I found that they made the sequel by taking all the parts people enjoyed from the first movie and ramping those aspects up until it was annoying. All the accidental charm of the first movie just felt forced in the second.

I felt the opposite way. Like why open and spend so much time on its hackneyed and one note bad guys? Get it back to Hardy and the teenage son that lives in him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Joe Fisto posted:

I love stupid.

It's important to practice self-love.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The fact that Venom named their pet chickens Sonny and Cher and refuses to eat them because they're best friends makes Let There Be Carnage worthwhile on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder if Woody was cast as Cletus because Wizard cast him back in the 90s?