Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

LifeSunDeath posted:

yes, as in "stunting on hoes," which is showing off to humiliate your enemies, your "haters."

Disappointing, I had a mental image of a pain relief cream and bonsai enthusiast crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

I read something in a book that said spy agencies can point a laser at a window and get what the people are talking about through the vibrations in the window.

That picture reminded me of that.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mister Speaker posted:

The word 'soundproof' gets tossed around too much these days (there's no way that microphone is actually soundproof, also no such thing as soundproof drywall) but if this fleeces some dweebs and creates some hilarious content I'm all for it.

The basic assumption is that this would be sold to Real Gamers who don't want to disturb those around them, but (a) Real Gamers don't care about others, and (b) Real Gamers are so very alone.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Parents getting fleeced for a $349 microphone to try to get 10 minutes of quiet

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Instead of a noise cancelling mic, what about a noise converting one? Let's try and make online interactions a bit more positive.

"You goddamn loving camping f****t! Turn that aimbot poo poo around and kill yourself!"

*bzzt*

Ah, cunning stratagem, my good fellow. Would that I had your patience and skill but perhaps one day, eh? Until then I say, 'happy hunting'!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Why don't we just kill the gamer?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They don't need to be silent, just quiet enough your mom won't hear you screaming the gamer word from the other room.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bored As gently caress posted:

I read something in a book that said spy agencies can point a laser at a window and get what the people are talking about through the vibrations in the window.

did you perhaps read it two pages ago?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

This is true. The time it takes for the photons to bounce back from the window varies as the window vibrates from the sound waves hitting it, and that can be reconstructed into intelligible sound.

It's pretty ingenious, really. Commercial models can do it up to 300m away, so God only knows what kind of range the stuff available to the various three-letter agencies can do.

Hell, you can apparently make your own with minimal effort: https://www.instructables.com/LASER-MICROPHONE/

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Jan 25, 2023

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Invented by Leon Theremin!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Hell, you can apparently make your own with minimal effort: https://www.instructables.com/LASER-MICROPHONE/

Judging by the comments, this is a guide on how to attach a laser to a tripod and not a lot else.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

credburn posted:

Judging by the comments, this is a guide on how to attach a laser to a tripod and not a lot else.

Ye gods, who reads comments?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

What are these here forums other than comments strung together?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Trabant posted:

I think I need a moment.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Trabant posted:

It's 1998 and this is all just a simulation being run on Lowtax's 200 mhz Pentium III Gateway PC

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Dave Syndrome posted:

Is that Nathan Fillion?

yes it is!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

edit;

Barometer has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Jan 25, 2023

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ohhh it gets a lot stupider. A lot of episodes they write themselves into a corner and wholesale invent some truly outrageous nonsense to get out if it.

My personal favourite was "Your phone can detect vibrations. This can be used to precisely extrapolate what you typed on a keyboard".

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2019/04/recovering_smar.html

Abstract: We present the first acoustic side-channel attack that recovers what users type on the virtual keyboard of their touch-screen smartphone or tablet. When a user taps the screen with a finger, the tap generates a sound wave that propagates on the screen surface and in the air. We found the device’s microphone(s) can recover this wave and “hear” the finger’s touch, and the wave’s distortions are characteristic of the tap’s location on the screen. Hence, by recording audio through the built-in microphone(s), a malicious app can infer text as the user enters it on their device.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Lobok posted:

Instead of a noise cancelling mic, what about a noise converting one? Let's try and make online interactions a bit more positive.

"You goddamn loving camping f****t! Turn that aimbot poo poo around and kill yourself!"

*bzzt*

Ah, cunning stratagem, my good fellow. Would that I had your patience and skill but perhaps one day, eh? Until then I say, 'happy hunting'!

Id rather be called the f word than listen to that poo poo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My Spirit Otter posted:

A hearty jape or jibe? 'Tis nothing compared to this aural affrontery.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Jan 26, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

IT'S "'TIS" NOT "T'IS" YOU RANCID PHLEGM SAC

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tree Bucket posted:

Twoshay

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Tree Bucket posted:

Maybe they were saying "tits" rather than "it is"

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
"'t'is'"

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

this post just m'lady'd me

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Coward posted:

Maybe they were saying "tits" rather than "it is"

Le tits now

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

fartknocker posted:

Le tits now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

LifeSunDeath posted:

apparently this is one of them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lFurL0SAx4

his raps are mostly about jesus:

It's funny, these dipshits are from about 45 minutes north of where I grew up, and a couple of my friends grew up with them. The three "stuntaz" were from the richest, whitest part of Toccoa, GA, and were apparently as cringy in real life as their stupid album cover and photos were. But where the other two loving dorks tried to hide from all of their sad internet fame (iirc, it's been 20 drat years), B-Shoc there tried to cash in by doing the Jesus thing. He was rapping in like VFWs and church basements and poo poo.

Just the saddest godamn way to spend the late 90s and early 2000s.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbyzgeee2mg

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Fun fact: the cheapest/easiest way to prevent this kind of eavesdropping is taping a little vibrator to the offending window.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is it messy when the glass cums?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rysithusiku posted:

Fun fact: the cheapest/easiest way to prevent this kind of eavesdropping is taping a little vibrator to the offending window.

All my vibrators are huge as all hell :(

e: Now I'm imagining a couple of spies like
"Sheeeeeeesh Igor he's dildoing it up motorized-style in there again! Must be a powerful model because the loving windows are shaking!"
"Dang, Ivan, I wish our rear end-warblers fit in an rear end and warbled*."
"I guess we know why they call him gently caress-Joe Biden."

*) Allusion to classic Finnish joke

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 12:55 on Jan 26, 2023

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

more like 18 years and 2 billion dollars later lmao

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

more like 18 years, 2 billion dollars, and 30 deaths later lmao

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This is true. The time it takes for the photons to bounce back from the window varies as the window vibrates from the sound waves hitting it, and that can be reconstructed into intelligible sound.

It's pretty ingenious, really. Commercial models can do it up to 300m away, so God only knows what kind of range the stuff available to the various three-letter agencies can do.

I used to develop distributed optical sensors including acoustic. We can also do this in the proximity of any fiber optic cable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_acoustic_sensing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Only registered members can see post attachments!