Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm looking forward to the next one*, I kinda unplugged from the Crypto thing around 2020 (hmm, I forget why... :corona:) and from skimming this thread it seems I've missed some wild A+ drama

* There WILL be another one, I hope? @divabot

i have rough notes to varying degrees on about four different possible books here, and a severe deficiency of executive function. I am nine months late on the proposal for the El Salvador Bitcoin book, but I'm learning Spanish specifically so I can call Nayib Bukele a loving dickhead in his own language. (He speaks English perfectly well, but I want to speak to his heart.) I am finishing my taxes, and taxation is theft not of my money, I'm not so worried about that, but of my sooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllll

so yeah probably eventually!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
The Unknown Hedge Fund That Got $400 Million From Sam Bankman-Fried
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/24/business/ftx-sbf-modulo-capital.html

NYT posted:

Not long before FTX collapsed in November, its founder, Sam Bankman-Fried, sent $400 million to an obscure cryptocurrency trading firm called Modulo Capital.

The fledgling firm, which was founded in March and operated out of the same Bahamian compound where Mr. Bankman-Fried lived, had no track record or public profile. One of the founders, Duncan Rheingans-Yoo, was only two years out of college. His business partner, Xiaoyun Zhang, known as Lily, was a former Wall Street trader who had previously been romantically involved with Mr. Bankman-Fried, according to four people with knowledge of their relationship.

It's cum and crypto, all the way down.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/franklinisbored/status/1616315985857810433

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

"lol, thanks for the money & gently caress you"
- opensea

Listening to an audio podcast of dumb crypto people wanting to simply further their Ponzi. Lots and lots of words that are useless. Also, did some crypto person literally rename themselves to melt_dem/meltem?
https://twitter.com/Melt_Dem/status/1618280079364349957

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 25, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

busalover posted:

he cant cum unless it cost him several hundred million dollars

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

busalover posted:

Bitcoin: It's cum and crypto, all the way down.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

busalover posted:

SUCH a wild detail at the very tail end of this, that apparently SBF has a brother who also is tied up in all this:

quote:

charitable work aligned closely with the priorities of Mr. Bankman-Fried’s younger brother, Gabe Bankman-Fried, who ran Guarding Against Pandemics, an advocacy group that FTX helped bankroll

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

ellie the beep posted:

SUCH a wild detail at the very tail end of this, that apparently SBF has a brother who also is tied up in all this:

I mean, if I had a scam netting billions of dollars, I'd let my sister in on it.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
more like blockhead chain

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Foo Diddley posted:

the american dollar is backed by the full economic and military might of the united states of america, and if you don't think that's real then i don't know what the gently caress to tell you

but you know, "fiat", whatever, sure

The US dollar is backed by weapons grade plutonium.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

DrPossum posted:

more like blockhead chain

:yeah:

naem
May 29, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

one time, at band camp,

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

imagine getting to 2k23 and still saying "hey, this crypto company should reimburse me for getting ripped off" like, thats something they don't really *do* idk if you've noticed

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I Cannot Resell This Ape

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You will diamond hands this ape into your grave.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm sorry but it's still sinking in that this person set up an automated buy order that would pay $105,000 for literally any Ape NFT sight unseen without any kind of verification or confirmation check that they actually wanted to pay $105,000 for it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm sorry but it's still sinking in that this person set up an automated buy order that would pay $105,000 for literally any Ape NFT sight unseen without any kind of verification or confirmation check that they actually wanted to pay $105,000 for it.

look, $105,000 is a small price to pay for being able to play the sewer monkey game for a few weeks

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's okay because it's likely used to launder money, so he's "paying" $105,000 but he already has a buyer lined up who just sold a bunch of drugs/children/guns or whatever. Don't feel bad because you don't have $105,000, you haven't sold $105,000 worth of drugs/children/guns.

It's (probably) not a speculative investment, money laundering operations only try to appear like speculative investments because then when they "gain" or "lose" money, it's an expected outcome.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
he who rugpulls last has to eat the biscuit

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Has anyone said Scam Bankman-Fraud yet?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

LifeSunDeath posted:

he who rugpulls last has to eat the biscuit

The most crypto thing ever

That and going to jail

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Strong Sauce posted:

Findom on a level not even the Romans could have imagined

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

If we implemented some kind of immutable database of all posts that anyone could check to see if a name pun had already been posted we could avoid having to ask. Perhaps call it the post-thread?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

https://twitter.com/generalslug/status/1617780748274257920

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Crypto memes I saw people spout tonight:

"Tesla just declared they didn't sell any of their 10 thousand bitcoin in Q4 2022!" ref: https://cointelegraph.com/news/elon-musk-s-tesla-held-onto-its-bitcoin-in-q4-despite-market-turbulence. Bullish! etc etc.

reality:

Tesla sold 3/4 of their bitcoin in Q3 2022. https://blockworks.co/news/tesla-sells-bitcoin-for-profit-still-posts-impairment-loss

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Meeting with our lawyers to try and formulate our stolen apes policy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
My lawyers were NFT apes and they were stolen before I could even sue them for badly representing in my upcoming bankruptcy case.

Now what the hell am I going to do!!!!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't quite know what happened here. Seems like OpenSea is happy to sell stolen apes since they sold one to him, so can't he just resell it? Or is it that they mark it as stolen so only a small number of idiots as stupid as him would actually buy it, instead of the large number of idiots willing to buy a clean ape?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

If I'm following this correctly this dumbass bought a stolen ape via an automated buy order AGAIN few days later:

https://twitter.com/franklinisbored/status/1617239670391459840

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

all my apes stolen

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
This ape fell off the back of a cybertruck

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
my squiggles gone

https://twitter.com/CirrusNFT/status/1618320159743303683

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Remind me again how the gently caress you can steal an NFT?

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

fish and chips and dip posted:

Remind me again how the gently caress you can steal an NFT?

Turns out smart contracts are only as smart as the person who programmed them

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Gubbinal Girl posted:

Turns out smart contracts are only as smart as the person who programmed them

But if code is (f)law, and whatever the chain says is correct then an NFT can never be truly stolen only change ownership. Crypto everything is so loving dumb.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I refuse to actually look at how much he paid for this MSPaint image before it was stolen, or whatever happened.

The more I think about this stuff the more I want to start smashing things up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

knox_harrington posted:

all my apes stolen

Surely that doesn't mean they are fungible :thunk:

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Durzel posted:

I refuse to actually look at how much he paid for this MSPaint image before it was stolen, or whatever happened.

The more I think about this stuff the more I want to start smashing things up.

He probably paid more for that than most graphic designers make in a year lol

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Oh, they’ve got this all messed, up! Let’s fix that:

Scam Banks, man? Fraud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Gubbinal Girl posted:

He probably paid more for that than most graphic designers make in a year lol

The price history says 10 ETH, so... $15 000?

Kennel fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 26, 2023