Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've hit Musée Mécanique every time I've been in San Francisco, but it's not a pinball focus. Went to Emporium the last time, and they had the Stranger Things pinball machine.

I can assure you all that if you play it, you will have a good time, no matter how you feel about the Stranger Things franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

The best pinball machine is The Twilight Zone, although that might be because the music is tinny adaptation of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knyyPQiLBbQ

I was watching some YT channel of pinball nerds and they were talking about overrated boards, and Twilight Zone was right up there. They were like "yeah when you get serious about buying machines [The Twilight Zone] is always one of the first ones people buy because it looks so cool, and then realize it's just not that good compared to some others."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I played an X-Men pinball machine once where if you hit a certain spot Magneto captures the ball and a second ball is released that you can use to free it.

It was cool.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
My uncle who insisted on looking rich even though he very much was not; had a Centaur pinball machine at his house. My brother and I used to sink hours into that thing everytime we had to go over to his place.

Kinda miss playing pinball if I'm honest.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

I was watching some YT channel of pinball nerds and they were talking about overrated boards, and Twilight Zone was right up there. They were like "yeah when you get serious about buying machines [The Twilight Zone] is always one of the first ones people buy because it looks so cool, and then realize it's just not that good compared to some others."
Nah TZ is a pretty incredible game and had the highest BOM of any game made to date when it was manufactured. Even though it had the second biggest run of any table it still commands a $10k+ price tag and there’s a company rumored to be remaking it for a release later this year. The main reason you don’t see them around in public anymore is because they’re and absolute nightmare to keep running correctly due to the high number of playfield toys and overall mechanical complexity.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Silent scope was fun until it started making you do ordinary shooter crap instead of sniper stuff. Then it got silly.

I did like how you could headshot bosses though. That was extremely satisfying to pull off.

yeah in Silent Scope EX (iirc), the end game gives you a choice between three stages:

+ MGS-style sneaking mission. You’re still only using a sniper rifle, but from 5 feet away. If you get caught once, game over.

+ Sniping while hang gliding.

+ Sniping underwater.

All this stuff was badass but I felt like it was impossible to me.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Smirking_Serpent posted:

yeah in Silent Scope EX (iirc), the end game gives you a choice between three stages:

+ MGS-style sneaking mission. You’re still only using a sniper rifle, but from 5 feet away. If you get caught once, game over.

+ Sniping while hang gliding.

+ Sniping underwater.

All this stuff was badass but I felt like it was impossible to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt7jV9UqjCw

I love how the sniper underwater feels/sounds like you're shooting a torpedo.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

FreudianSlippers posted:

I played an X-Men pinball machine once where if you hit a certain spot Magneto captures the ball and a second ball is released that you can use to free it.

It was cool.

Magnetic effects are some of the coolest things on pin tables. Star Trek has one underneath the USS Vengeance that's a ball lock and initiates multiball (just like your X-Men table; I think this is a pretty common implementation of magnets in the games). Twilight Zone has a minigame in the top left of the field where your paddle buttons control two diverter magnets. The craziest one I've seen is 'the power' on Addams Family; two BIG diverter magnets under the center of the playfield that gently caress with the trajectory of the ball. If you thought pinball was frustrating before, try anticipating where the ball is going to come at you with that poo poo turned on.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I played a shitload of the adams family pinball game and it had magnets also. Part of my college was at this small school and they had it in their rec room, which meant that me and the student worker in charge of maintenance and I were in a constant battle for highest score on the machine since we were the only people that played it. Great times.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

One time I was playing a pinball machine (I think it might have been Sonic the Hedgehog themed?) and when i hit a certain thing it captured my ball, a little hatch opened in the middle of the table, and a second smaller game of pinball started. I was not prepared!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah X-Men has two magnets and the Magneto effect is pretty cool. I have my X-Men machine at work right now for play on breaks and it’s been really cool to see the young guys learn the rulesets and develop skills in a format that wasn’t really available in their youth.

Best magnet feature is in Bram Stokers Dracula. At the start of Mist Multiball a ball gets drug across the playfield by a magnet on a screw drive underneath the playfield. You have to use your other ball to knock it free which makes every shot worth 10 Mil + another 10 Mil per other multiball running it’s a hell of a rush to get all three running together.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHxdPw4ambk

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

One time I was playing a pinball machine (I think it might have been Sonic the Hedgehog themed?) and when i hit a certain thing it captured my ball, a little hatch opened in the middle of the table, and a second smaller game of pinball started. I was not prepared!

Yeah I had that happen too and then the little pinball table winked at me!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Warbird posted:

The best pinball table ever is Black Knight 2000 and you can gently caress off if you think otherwise.

https://youtu.be/FASUZRYs0fM

Black Knight can suck a bag of dicks, Defender was the greatest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Zs8af_pcw

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

projecthalaxy posted:

did you uncle work for Bally?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's Wednesday, my dudes

:glomp:.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Thanks, Frog Wizard, I needed that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Much appreciates, Wizard, but I kinda already share this beach with a shark named Terry on Wednesdays.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

tonedef131 posted:

Nah TZ is a pretty incredible game and had the highest BOM of any game made to date when it was manufactured. Even though it had the second biggest run of any table it still commands a $10k+ price tag and there’s a company rumored to be remaking it for a release later this year. The main reason you don’t see them around in public anymore is because they’re and absolute nightmare to keep running correctly due to the high number of playfield toys and overall mechanical complexity.
The one I found in the wild was disappointing because it was angled too far forward :mad:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Wait i wasnt done dont goooooo

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Much appreciates, Wizard, but I kinda already share this beach with a shark named Terry on Wednesdays.

Maybe it's just personal perception, but I feel like Terry has abandoned us. I welcome Frog Wizard, and would like to see more of their favorite places.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

And the ones that apply to me:

I loving love dad humor.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

personally i just scroll past the bad memes and the three page long conversations about pinball or whatever

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You take away the bad memes and tedious off topic discussion there's been like three pages of content posted n the last ten years

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I deployed "See that giraffe? It's outstanding in its field" on my nieces recently

e: VVV

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Ime going "we needed this rain" is a California thing, not a dad thing

Can it be both?

(My dad has been keeping enormous weather charts for the last 50 years in the rural NorCal valley where he spent his whole career as the manager of the water district. The valley gets all its water from non-snowpack runoff and the house is on a well)

(I have heard this phrase a lot lately)

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Jan 25, 2023

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

dpkg chopra posted:

I loving love dad humor.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Do people not usually point out horses while they're driving? I would feel rude not acknowledging the horses. Or cows, or goats.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Stoatbringer posted:

Black Knight can suck a bag of dicks, Defender was the greatest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Zs8af_pcw

I hear no sick rear end midi bass lines and guitar solos so you’re objectively in the wrong here bucco.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Poops Mcgoots posted:

My dad says it all the time and he's from Toronto. It's a gardening thing in his case (which is itself a classic dad thing)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I only got 9 out of 20. Need to work on my dadliness

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SpacePig posted:

Do people not usually point out horses while they're driving? I would feel rude not acknowledging the horses. Or cows, or goats.

The horses can't hear you. And even if they did I'm sure they wouldn't find it rude.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I played a shitload of the adams family pinball game and it had magnets also. Part of my college was at this small school and they had it in their rec room, which meant that me and the student worker in charge of maintenance and I were in a constant battle for highest score on the machine since we were the only people that played it. Great times.

My dad owns an Addams Family pinball, though it's been in his garage for years now. All I really remember about playing it was THE MAMUSHKA

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

dpkg chopra posted:

I loving love dad humor.

I got all of them and also somehow moon moon

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

At least quote my post, dang.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My mother in law pronounces Spiderman and Batman like the -man in Jewish names like Goldman. Spiderm'n. Same with the "space man" toy when she's playing with the kids.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

dpkg chopra posted:

Who the gently caress doesn't like to point out horses when you pass them?

What the gently caress.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

What the gently caress.

Hi Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ikanreed posted:

What the gently caress.

Also the correct Dad move during drives through rural areas is to simply exclaim "Oh hay!" when you see bales.