Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

neaden posted:

A bunch of people on magic Twitter are talking about cheating but not anyone specifically, did something happen that I missed?

WOTC didn't gently caress up yet this week so MTG twitter manufactured some drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's wild to me that people openly caught cheating aren't banned for life

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cheating is an important part of any game, not like it's trying to be a faire game anyway, so makes no sense to chase off people who got busted once or twice. You'll never get great cheaters that way and people won't want to come cheat with your company anymore if they can do better cheats elsewhere.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bird

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

If anyone is looking for more Cedirc and Patrick content, they are apparently planning on relaunching The Resleevables as a Youtube series in March, at least that is what is being teased by this twitter account.

https://twitter.com/TheResleevables/status/1615181733565198336

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Captain Invictus posted:

It's wild to me that people openly caught cheating aren't banned for life

It's not like there's a competitive aspect of this game they need to protect. Why ban a source of revenue for cheating in a format they don't care about

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This card is interesting to me. It's probably a bit too low on rate, but it just might squeak into some builds of Rakdos Anvil. Maybe I'm too high on it because of fond memories of Catacomb Sifter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/TandyMTG/status/1617948324304416770

sorcery. bleh

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Wow this is insanely good in limited sheesh

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Could be fun in a stupid deck with Tawnos

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SOME TIIIIIIMES I FEEL I'VE GOT TO

PRO-LIF-ER-ATE

WHOOOOOA

tainted bird

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bird seems really good for a controlly planeswwalker deck

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Panderfringe posted:

It's not like there's a competitive aspect of this game they need to protect. Why ban a source of revenue for cheating in a format they don't care about

Under the DCI system, you'd usually get at least like a 6 month or a year ban for a cheating DQ, escalating from there. Now, though, I have no idea what happens. If you put a DQ into eventlink, WotC could theoretically do something to prevent your Wizards account from entering more tournaments, but I doubt there's anyone reviewing on their end. (And there definitely isn't for any events run outside of eventlink.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CellBlock posted:

Under the DCI system, you'd usually get at least like a 6 month or a year ban for a cheating DQ, escalating from there. Now, though, I have no idea what happens. If you put a DQ into eventlink, WotC could theoretically do something to prevent your Wizards account from entering more tournaments, but I doubt there's anyone reviewing on their end. (And there definitely isn't for any events run outside of eventlink.)
Its probably not a high priority since you cant do like, mechanical in game cheats online, like stream sniping is about the only way and thats easily solved by not streaming

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

re the 1/2 elf that untaps lands, I believe there is a cycle of karoo lands at common in the set? so probably balanced around those for limited

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Procrastinator posted:

re the 1/2 elf that untaps lands, I believe there is a cycle of karoo lands at common in the set? so probably balanced around those for limited

unless there is a second cycle: no

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

unless there is a second cycle: no

There’s space for at least one more land cycle going by those collector numbers.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
btw remember this lil feller?

poor guy got reprinted and still is now lost forever in an alternate timeline (and it would be very funny if they made a new one in the next Time Fuckery set that has the same ability named Venemous 1)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arivia posted:

There’s space for at least one more land cycle going by those collector numbers.

on top of the fastlands? the mtg website just has a buncha basics after that

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Goa Tse-tung posted:

btw remember this lil feller?

poor guy got reprinted and still is now lost forever in an alternate timeline (and it would be very funny if they made a new one in the next Time Fuckery set that has the same ability named Venemous 1)

Snake Cult Initiation on Escape Artist… can’t beat that!

Are Toxic and Poisonous identical?
(edit: nope, Toxic is static, Poisonous is triggered and can potentially be stifled. Toxic is technically slightly better, and also mechanically much better for Arena/MTGO)

generatrix fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 25, 2023

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Seems powerful

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
what's the deal with these "set booster exclusive" cards? they got the commander expansion symbol but aren't actually available in the commander product itself?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I want to say set & collector boosters and yeah, you're spot on. They usually do 8 cards that are technically part of the commander product but not in decks.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Since Midnight Hunt each set has had 8 commander cards available only from the set or collector boosters. Most have been bulk but there's usually one per set that ends up in the $15-20 range.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like there's enough exile removal, alongside bounce and good ol' -4/-4 that I would be wary of spending a lot of resources to make something indestructible. Removing counters in blue isn't bad especially with all the proliferate and free oil counters. Sacrificing tokens in white is also not bad because it doubles your tokens, but discarding 2 cards is kinda steep. By that point in red, you're probably topdecking and you don't want to be discarding burn spells.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/niphette/status/1617959486916022272?t=hTLRR1LqRymBmauJ1HpNYA&s=19

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Procrastinator posted:

you almost made me poo poo myself because there is no way I would've missed a karoo land reprint lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A Moose posted:

I feel like there's enough exile removal, alongside bounce and good ol' -4/-4 that I would be wary of spending a lot of resources to make something indestructible. Removing counters in blue isn't bad especially with all the proliferate and free oil counters. Sacrificing tokens in white is also not bad because it doubles your tokens, but discarding 2 cards is kinda steep. By that point in red, you're probably topdecking and you don't want to be discarding burn spells.

you can make it indestructible at instant speed so you only discard the two cards when you're going to blank a removal spell, so you just hold up two cards and dare them to try their removal spell on it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/ghirapurigears/status/1618279833137737728

This seems pushed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a way to discard a card and proliferate?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1618283790484267008

This is an important printing. Also WTF is this art lol

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is there a way to discard a card and proliferate?

It turns Yawgmoth second activated ability in "BB: proliferate."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
one of my favourite arts of the set, wish we had more of these freaky horrors and a bit less of people from metal bands

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
This set is looking like it's gonna be a crazy draft environment

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

mcmagic posted:

you almost made me poo poo myself because there is no way I would've missed a karoo land reprint lol

yeah my b, my brain must have pasted the 1C activated abilities into the mana production spot, haha

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Khanstant posted:

one of my favourite arts of the set, wish we had more of these freaky horrors and a bit less of people from metal bands

Same, I love stuff that’s on the trippier side of hosed up.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

In the last week at two different drafts we had a guy in our casual draft league accused of cheating (specifically not discarding/picking the discard back up after looting. He's also only lost one game in 18 rounds of draft across 5 events and always plays blue, so go figure) and I had a miserable round against a storm player in DMR pulling poo poo like untapping extra lands after a frantic search (lands all stacked on top of each other, naturally), flipping deep research over in the graveyard and saying "pay 2 life" (it's 3 to flashback), and putting a land down to start the turn without saying anything, casting a bunch of stuff and then slapping another land down and saying "land for turn" like I didn't notice the first one. The prizes for these events aren't even good, it's like 3 draft packs or less store credit than the entry fee.

I don't even have a point except to vent and say that this poo poo sucks. I know the thread likes to doubt WotC's assertion that most consumers are kitchen table players but I'd never so much as shuffled in a store for 6 years before dipping my toe back in a couple months ago, and the local scene is pushing me right back towards casual commander in people's living rooms.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Who organises it, because when I was part of organising one we had one proven (or accused) cheater and he was kicked out never to return. Cheating's bad but tolerating it is worse.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Who organises it, because when I was part of organising one we had one proven (or accused) cheater and he was kicked out never to return. Cheating's bad but tolerating it is worse.

Two different places, first one they’re “keeping an eye on (that guy) moving forward” and it’s a shame because they’re actually very nice and obviously a good player regardless which is a bummer. Second place is a small store that the employees literally aren’t in the same room for and say they don’t have time for this stuff so I’m just not going back, I’m a newcomer there and the person in question is part of multiple leagues and their friends make up like half of every pod so it’s pretty clear things are just rotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why would you ban him from the store? If he's regular he's spending money. And if the rest of the regulars keep showing up regardless, then the store is only hurting itself by removing him. Wotc does not take cheating seriously (and why would they?) so why should stores?