Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's not like this is an isolated instance; MCU movies look like poo poo despite being the most expensive works ever undertaken by man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
presumably they had more hours in their season?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tankbuster posted:

presumably they had more hours in their season?

I edited my post but the show is what 8 hour-long episodes and the movies are a combined 11 hours or so in the extended cuts

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
they should have spent the billion dollars building jeff bezos a real castle in Washington that he can lord over us from

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Tankbuster posted:

A lot of people now just say things like "it looks cheap" as a way to say "I didn't like it."

pretty much this

I agree the amount of money they spent is LOL but it does look expensive

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

pretty much this

I agree the amount of money they spent is LOL but it does look expensive

oh i wouldn't know, i'm not watching that garbage

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jaxyon posted:

It looks amazing, I have no idea what you're talking about.

If people want to bag on the writing or acting or casting or whatever, I get that, but if you think it looked cheap, you might have been watching a different show

idk the mordor reveal looked pretty bad imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the costuming was great :love:

that can cost like $400,000,000 right

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they should have spent the billion dollars building jeff bezos a real castle in Washington that he can lord over us from

I am sure jeff has money to spare.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

loquacius posted:

It's not like this is an isolated instance; MCU movies look like poo poo despite being the most expensive works ever undertaken by man

The 1993 Jurassic Park mostly looks better than the 2018+ Jurassic Park movies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i was at the dentist yesterday and met my first person other than me who has seen avatar 2. i asked her what she thought about it and her response was "it was really long"

later on the dentist was talking to his assistant about tv recommendations and he brought up the white lotus. the assistant was like "i can't believe you told me to watch that, that one scene ruined it all for me." i was really curious so i asked her later what scene she meant and she was like "the one where the two men have sex" lmao. how far we haven't come. to be fair in the scene the older man is eating the younger man's rear end, which is decent shock value i suppose but she went on to clarify "i don't care who anyone likes, but don't make me see it. hollywood is trying to shove it down our throats. my boyfriend yelled at me for making him see that." sounds like a man who is very secure and very stable

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

i was at the dentist yesterday and met my first person other than me who has seen avatar 2. i asked her what she thought about it and her response was "it was really long"

later on the dentist was talking to his assistant about tv recommendations and he brought up the white lotus. the assistant was like "i can't believe you told me to watch that, that one scene ruined it all for me." i was really curious so i asked her later what scene she meant and she was like "the one where the two men have sex" lmao. how far we haven't come. to be fair in the scene the older man is eating the younger man's rear end, which is decent shock value i suppose but she went on to clarify "i don't care who anyone likes, but don't make me see it. hollywood is trying to shove it down our throats. my boyfriend yelled at me for making him see that." sounds like a man who is very secure and very stable

Imagine being an adult and shouting at your SO because you saw gay sex on cable in 20-goddamn-23. Those two deserve each other.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
you'd think they'd like what happens to the rear end eater then, all things considered

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

loquacius posted:

There's probably an argument that the LOTR movies were peak special effects and its just been getting worse since then

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Capital doesn’t want workers to have any power. So instead of artists lording over their bosses with their ability make things not look like poo poo, capital has built an enormously expensive machine to produce a barely passable product.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

There's probably an argument that the LOTR movies were peak special effects and its just been getting worse since then

Eh, Fury Road. That poo poo was spectacular.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Imagine being an adult and shouting at your SO because you saw gay sex on cable in 20-goddamn-23. Those two deserve each other.

it's actually disturbingly common. i've heard some variation of this story from quite a few people. any time gay sex is depicted onscreen the man in the story gets overtly disgusted and violent about it. seems weird to me

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Serf posted:

it's actually disturbingly common. i've heard some variation of this story from quite a few people. any time gay sex is depicted onscreen the man in the story gets overtly disgusted and violent about it. seems weird to me

bro nation

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

What a strange way to be.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

Eh, Fury Road. That poo poo was spectacular.

Okay actually that's a good counterpoint

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I was forced to witness hot gay sex by Hollyweird elites. But I never hated them. I said, "Thank you for your service."

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
homophobic straights just gotta leverage that "sex in tv and movies is unnecessary and makes me uncomfortable please stop" poo poo that's been going around lately

just not specifying what sex for plausible deniability

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Serf posted:

Even if it doesn't actually bother them, they have been programmed to react this way so that no one can read a lack of reaction as secret admiration for gayness

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tbf almost every sex scene is cringe

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

off the top of my head, the only director I can think of that has done good sex scenes is ang lee

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ArmZ posted:

off the top of my head, the only director I can think of that has done good sex scenes is ang lee
excuse me but it's ZACK SNYDER and The Watchmen movie

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Serf posted:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Even if it doesn't actually bother them, they have been programmed to react this way so that no one can read a lack of reaction as secret admiration for gayness
also this

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I had never seen any of the infamous Musk SNL skits before because SNL is poison. Musk is terrible and unfunny, but how exactly is this skit any worse than the normal dreck on that show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrTXBFcvoMQ

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

annaud does good sex scenes like in enemy at the gates

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nichael posted:

I had never seen any of the infamous Musk SNL skits before because SNL is poison. Musk is terrible and unfunny, but how exactly is this skit any worse than the normal dreck on that show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrTXBFcvoMQ

that was one of the better ones lol, what you really want to see is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2Mf6HxIi0

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ArmZ posted:

Lars Von Trier certainly knows how to make a stomach churning sex scene.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

that was one of the better ones lol, what you really want to see is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2Mf6HxIi0

really surreal to see Ego Nwodim do this poo poo when she is always funny on comedy bang bang

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

imagine having talent but ending up on snl in the 2020s lol

like just an utter whiff

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Riot Bimbo posted:

like just an utter whiff
It's a paycheck.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Riot Bimbo posted:

like just an utter whiff

james austin johnson was going to top out on youtube vids filmed while he was driving, i'm glad he got the job

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
SNL occasionally has a good sketch, maybe 1 or 2 per show

but sometimes also zero per show.

But the Musk episode was bad even for them.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
SNL is one of the few institutions which could give you a leg up to a film career or one day your own show, pretty much the best shot UCB or Second City and all the other improv school alums have

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i dunno seems like a prestige job whose best days are firmly behind it, whose main purpose is to make the shithead of the week look as good as possible to the dwindling and aging audience for whom its remotely relevant, and so hate-watchers can go "drat, they're funny, shame they're on snl though"

like that feels like a trap job to me

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Riot Bimbo posted:

like just an utter whiff

do you think there's some sort of successful career path for an improv/sketch comedian that is more financially stable than "SNL"?

it's like saying "imagine being a talented wrestler but ending up on Monday Night Raw"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
also the guy they have doing trump is probably the best i've ever seen, it's freakish

but also unfunny because it's basically just accurate to reality