Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
They learned that undersupported assaults are going to take high losses, and it is a lot easier to just blast your enemy and wear them down over time. Also, the sheer fact is until October-November, they were probably outnumbered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Oh bullshit. No one dumps a fuckload of radioactive poo poo in their own backyard.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zodium posted:

I don't really know enough about tanks to have a favorite tbh

Iosef Stalin 2

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Starsfan posted:

Man it's hard to place losses from modern warfare in the same reality as what was going on 80 years ago.. You read so much cope about how Russia is nearing their breaking point with 30,000 to 40,000 casualties in a year and then wikipedia tells you that like 600,000 Russian soldiers got surrounded and surrendered around Kiev one week back in WW2.

Hits on a whole new level when you realize that almost all of those guys walked into a stalag and never walked out again.

Eastern Front was savagery on a level that would make Ghengis Khan wince.

Bad as it is, at least the Ukraine War isn't an existential fight of national destruction.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Oh bullshit. No one dumps a fuckload of radioactive poo poo in their own backyard.

america says hello

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
man, ukraine is gonna be ripe for economic investment when the war is over

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Waagh! group

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hits on a whole new level when you realize that almost all of those guys walked into a stalag and never walked out again.

Eastern Front was savagery on a level that would make Ghengis Khan wince.

Bad as it is, at least the Ukraine War isn't an existential fight of national destruction.
It isn't for Russia at least.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maximalist Russian goals are annexing the Donbas and putting a stooge in charge in Kiev. Far cry from Generalplan Ost.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It wouldn't have been for ukraine either, if they hadn't hitched their national identity to reconquering a bunch of people who didn't want to be ukrainians anymore

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

what’s everyone’s favourite tank?

mine is the Valentine :^)

NOD Stealth Tank

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/alexbward/status/1617936346391379968

30-50 feral tanks

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
50 is the better part of a regiment.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

50 is the better part of a regiment.

I think they mentioned it would be at least 30, but it would take months possibly years. In that context, it sounds like a drop in the bucket.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

if Kissinger wasn’t alive he’d be rolling in his grave right now

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Ardennes posted:

I think they mentioned it would be at least 30, but it would take months possibly years. In that context, it sounds like a drop in the bucket.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Ardennes posted:

They learned that undersupported assaults are going to take high losses, and it is a lot easier to just blast your enemy and wear them down over time. Also, the sheer fact is until October-November, they were probably outnumbered.

I'd guess they are still outnumbered but not as much so the material advantage can keep them from having to do pull back like Kherson/Kharkov.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Germans are sending fourteen tanks to Ukraine

one for each word

4 to charge the Russian lines and 10 to stop the first 4 from fleeing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Funny that all the hoopla about tanks end up being for like 60 tanks delivered over like 2 years when russia probably retrofits more than that in a few months.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

supersnowman posted:

I'd guess they are still outnumbered but not as much so the material advantage can keep them from having to do pull back like Kherson/Kharkov.

I think there are more and more signs that the Russians have the advantage in arms at this point, particularly in the south there isn’t much push back by the Ukrainians but the Russians don’t seem to want to commit to an all out assault.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Funny that all the hoopla about tanks end up being for like 60 tanks delivered over like 2 years when russia probably retrofits more than that in a few months.

It's the military equivalent of "we are raising the minimum wage to 15 dollars... over the next six years with a one dollar hike per year"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Giving Ukraine enough tanks to feel better about doing it but not enough to get ahead of Russian arsenal inflation

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
88 new posts

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
lol more plz

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-sets-sights-fighter-jets-after-securing-tank-supplies-2023-01-25/ posted:

Ukraine sets sights on fighter jets after securing tank supplies

KYIV, Jan 25 (Reuters) - Ukraine will now push for Western fourth generation fighter jets such as the U.S. F-16 after securing supplies of main battle tanks, an adviser to Ukraine's defence minister said on Wednesday.

"The next big hurdle will now be the fighter jets," Yuriy Sak, who advises Defence Minister Oleksiy Reznikov, told Reuters by phone.

"If we get them (Western fighter jets), the advantages on the battlefield will be just immense... It's not just F-16s (U.S. multirole fighter jets): fourth generation aircraft, this is what we want."

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

give them nukes

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
F-16's with the export AIM-9's would chew Russian pilots up pretty bad but I wouldn't like my chances against Russian air defences.

Also, you're talking about starting from near-zero with pilot training because the F-16 is nothing like the Warsaw Pact stuff Ukrainian pilots are used to.

Might as well give them export F-35's because it'd be about as big a job, logistically speaking.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ukraine requesting that the West send these over

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
F-16s with aim-9s wouldnt do anything that ukraines mig-29s couldnt do with r-73s

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

F-16's with the export AIM-9's would chew Russian pilots up pretty bad but I wouldn't like my chances against Russian air defences.

Also, you're talking about starting from near-zero with pilot training because the F-16 is nothing like the Warsaw Pact stuff Ukrainian pilots are used to.

Might as well give them export F-35's because it'd be about as big a job, logistically speaking.

I assume you mean AIM-120's because even the newer AIM-9X doesn't have the range to go up against even the older BVR stuff the Russian AF could field (9X is like 22 mi at best vs the old R-27 at ~50 mi). And while they've been pretty bad with combined arms, I've not heard or read any reports anything about Russian fighter jets being pushovers in A2A combat (mostly because of operating in friendly AD zones and using their range and better radars) - even from western sources. F-16's would give the Ukrainians a big boost in capability, but I don't think it would be enough to achieve air domination let alone air superiority.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lollontee posted:

i've seen 25k-35k for russian losses being thrown around, THEE ukraine's losses at around the same? by all looks, this war has been an absolute meatgrinder for both sides

The side outshot by at least 9:1 is not trading casualties 1:1.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BadOptics posted:

I assume you mean AIM-120's because even the newer AIM-9X doesn't have the range to go up against even the older BVR stuff the Russian AF could field (9X is like 22 mi at best vs the old R-27 at ~50 mi). And while they've been pretty bad with combined arms, I've not heard or read any reports anything about Russian fighter jets being pushovers in A2A combat (mostly because of operating in friendly AD zones and using their range and better radars) - even from western sources. F-16's would give the Ukrainians a big boost in capability, but I don't think it would be enough to achieve air domination let alone air superiority.

Comedy option: Buy the old F-14s from Iran and bring back the Phoenix.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1618296120865873920?s=46&t=705jWv712DxCoCSaHy6xig

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1618298145913593858?s=46&t=705jWv712DxCoCSaHy6xig

sorry arabs, africans, asians, latin americans but freedom is only for white people we'll still install fascist dictators over you lot

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

As things have gone on, it's not just extra military capabilities, or making up losses but now the basic functioning of the state that's entirely contingent on the goodwill of western countries, and the Ukrainians must see that as they're not able to dictate that on their own terms anymore, the aid they get will suit Europe's goals (long, slow burning war to inflict a cost on Russia, Ukraine expendable), rather than Ukraine's.

They're in an impossible situation, again, unless they draw NATO in.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lmao the motherfuckers really did add 1 over 30 to say they are giving them over 30 tanks

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

As things have gone on, it's not just extra military capabilities, or making up losses but now the basic functioning of the state that's entirely contingent on the goodwill of western countries, and the Ukrainians must see that as they're not able to dictate that on their own terms anymore, the aid they get will suit Europe's goals (long, slow burning war to inflict a cost on Russia, Ukraine expendable), rather than Ukraine's.

They're in an impossible situation, again, unless they draw NATO in.

Drawing NATO in would take more political talent and juice than Zelensky has. Ukraine isn't valuable enough to risk NYC eating a nuke.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lmao the motherfuckers really did add 1 over 30 to say they are giving them over 30 tanks

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

sorry arabs, africans, asians, latin americans but freedom is only for white people we'll still install fascist dictators over you lot

I’ve been mulling on how Ukraine is white enough that invading them is a unique historical evil to other white countries (zero westerners supported arming the Iraqi insurgency or the NVA). but, they’re on the periphery enough that we in the west are still allowed to coup them, and if they ban a bunch of political parties core white countries can go “it’s different there.”

it’s in this in-between space. they’re European on the television when it’s time for heartstrings and South Vietnam behind closed doors at the state department when it’s time to assess who we want running the place.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BadOptics posted:

Also, the Mig 31s with R-37s Russian has been sending out have even further ranges up to 398 km, honestly, I don't think the F-16 would be a game changer beyond protecting the airspace of particularly South-West Ukraine. Also, unless they want to kill their pilots, they probably need 1-2 years minimum to get some familiarity with the F-16 as it really does fly different than Soviet aircraft.

As far as combined arms, I would say dealing with an airspace that Western militaries don't usually need to handle. It isn't Ukraine's land based radar or even really the S-300 systems that are the issue but that they are getting constant AWACS coverage over large parts of Ukraine which allows them to keep their radars off until they need to launch. This forces either the Russians risk getting hit by AD or fly low enough to get hit by manpads. The solution for the Russians has generally been to use more standoff munitions from bombers or utilizing rockets at a distance for closer support.

I would say a Western airforce would face the same issue if either the Russians or the Chinese had that type of AWACS coverage.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

People freaking out about the tanks too much.

The tanks themselves aren't an escalation. Probably even less than the baltic states starting to make noise.

It's just a sign of western commitment to forcing Ukraine into a one last shot desperate offensive to get some kind of a victory.

What's concerning is how the US and Europe reacts to the sunk costs when it doesn't pay off.

The longer the war goes in the more opportunities we have to monetize it. Why would we want this war to end, how else can we make up for the shortcomings from leaving the middle east?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1618296120865873920?s=46&t=705jWv712DxCoCSaHy6xig

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1618298145913593858?s=46&t=705jWv712DxCoCSaHy6xig

the freedom being brought to the Ukrainian people doesn’t seem that great