Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

God, if Rainbow6 came out today idiots would mock it for being woke just on name alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/KramarenkoMari3/status/1618213188377669633?s=20&t=CuP-SALtzdrvG6mwpf_SFw

lol at the BT-2 looking rear end Tiger tank

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Tom Clancy put his mary sue self insert into the white house but made it take a combined 9/11 *and* King Ralph scenario to get him there. I think it says a lot about the man's self-image and humble nature.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Rust Martialis posted:

14 year old you was horny for Tom Clancy jizzing?

How can you deny this raw animal magnetism?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

picatinny railed dongs

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Are any of his books objectively good?

As said before, you can stop with the novels around Clear and Present Danger. His nonfiction stuff is pretty informative and perceptive; enough so that I wonder what % of them were ghostwritten.

30 Abrams is basically just a training cadre's worth, right?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

As said before, you can stop with the novels around Clear and Present Danger. His nonfiction stuff is pretty informative and perceptive; enough so that I wonder what % of them were ghostwritten.

30 Abrams is basically just a training cadre's worth, right?

About a company+ or so, so probably.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you find yourself looking at Net Force books, just put down the kindle and go outside for a while.

I don't remember specifically which Net Fart book I read. All I know is it turned me off of Clancy forever, even though it was ghost written.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If you find yourself looking at Net Force books, just put down the kindle and go outside for a while.

I don't remember specifically which Net Fart book I read. All I know is it turned me off of Clancy forever, even though it was ghost written.

Bahaha I read those as a kid, thanks book fair. I don't remember much beyond a scene where a guy is in cyberspace "hunting" a "tiger" (hosed if I can remember whether this was a fun vr hunt or some kind of simulacrum for ICE or a virus or some poo poo) and it spent a paragraph describing how his shotgun was loaded with alternating buckshot and slugs.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
So the US is sending a battalion of Abrams, I wonder what variant, I wonder if the logistics chain package will be able to support it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The YA spinoff books, Net Force Explorers, were pretty good.

It helps that, in retrospect, a good number of them were ghostwritten by Diane Duane.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Icon Of Sin posted:

About a company+ or so, so probably.

30 abrams is two full companies plus two spares, So coupled with 30 IFVs it is a poor man’s armor battalion.

Considering the devastation a very limited amount of tanks did for russian morale in Kharkov offensive it is not a small thing at all.

I highly doubt any of those are going for training, type training is likely conducted outsude ukraine and basic armor training can be done on t-72s.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Icon Of Sin posted:

God, if Rainbow6 came out today idiots would mock it for being woke just on name alone.

Aren't the main baddies ecoterrorists that get left to die and get eaten by all the endangered animals they stole? Or something?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yah they are defeated by globalists

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

shame on an IGA posted:

Tom Clancy put his mary sue self insert into the white house but made it take a combined 9/11 *and* King Ralph scenario to get him there. I think it says a lot about the man's self-image and humble nature.

Book plot was a shoddily made Japanese car kills six Americans, so Congress immediately changes export laws to cripple the Japanese economy. Japan decides to bring back the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere and has developed nuclear weapons, as the key to their plan to achieve economic dominance is to… seize the Mariana Islands?

Would blame this on Japan panic of the 1980s but this nonsense came out in 1994. Guess Clancy had some knowledge of the USSR but struggled to understand Japan or how the economy works.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That was the one where they CTRL-Z’d the stock market right?

The plot of Rainbow Six was as follows:

Billionaire ecoterrorist wants to save Earth by killing almost everyone on it. So he develops an Ebola-like virus, and hires a former KGB guy to organize terror attack (hostage takings, this is pre-9/11) so the terror alert level will go up.

Then the organizers of the Sydney olympics will hire the billionaire’s buddy who has a security consulting company; this will allow them to drop the virus in the stadium’s air conditioning system during the closing ceremony thus jump starting a global pandemic.

John Clark and Ding Chavez gently caress this up, however, so the head bad guys run to a remote base they’ve set up in Brazil. Rainbow Six flies down there, destroys all their poo poo and leaves them to die.

The heartbeat / explosive detector dowsing Rod of Iraqi police fame plays a big role.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Aces High posted:

Aren't the main baddies ecoterrorists that get left to die and get eaten by all the endangered animals they stole? Or something?

I have a somewhat solid memory of them being left behind in a jungle while the main character rides a helicopter out. One of the few details I remember besides a bunch of lunacy about a car crash fireball changing global geopolitics after like two chapters following the construction and shipping of a gas tank.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FrozenVent posted:

Billionaire ecoterrorist wants to save Earth by killing almost everyone on it. So he develops an Ebola-like virus, and hires a former KGB guy to organize terror attack (hostage takings, this is pre-9/11) so the terror alert level will go up.

Then the organizers of the Sydney olympics will hire the billionaire’s buddy who has a security consulting company; this will allow them to drop the virus in the stadium’s air conditioning system during the closing ceremony thus jump starting a global pandemic.

John Clark and Ding Chavez gently caress this up, however, so the head bad guys run to a remote base they’ve set up in Brazil. Rainbow Six flies down there, destroys all their poo poo and leaves them to die.

The heartbeat / explosive detector dowsing Rod of Iraqi police fame plays a big role.

It's been a long time since I read it, but IIRC the ex-KGB guy turns on them and becomes a good guy because environmentalism is just too wacky for him. He calls them "druids".

Without Remorse is decent if you want to read a book that is the result of Clancy throwing every cliched action movie from the mid-80s into a blender and pouring it into a 600 page doorstop.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Without Remorse is decent if you want to read a book that is the result of Clancy throwing every cliched action movie from the mid-80s into a blender and pouring it into a 600 page doorstop.

Then Amazon adapted it and turned it into some bog standard secret squirrel spec ops team with (iirc) sleeper cell attack junk.

Could have made a nice vigilante revenge flick but nnnnoooo.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's been a long time since I read it, but IIRC the ex-KGB guy turns on them and becomes a good guy because environmentalism is just too wacky for him. He calls them "druids".

Without remorse was for me the start of the decline of Clancy. Like I said earlier, IMO he peaked at Sum of all Fears and it all went downhill from there. Do _not_ read anything after Debt of Honor, because it really is absolute poo poo. Debt of Honor was meh.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

bird food bathtub posted:

I have a somewhat solid memory of them being left behind in a jungle while the main character rides a helicopter out. One of the few details I remember besides a bunch of lunacy about a car crash fireball changing global geopolitics after like two chapters following the construction and shipping of a gas tank.

The only memory I have of that book was a character talking about how they dreamed of bowhunting a deer on like 5th ave in Manhattan because nature would reclaim the earth there quickly enough he’d be able to do it.

Too bad I read NetForce or red storm rising or whatever. Avoided all the military ones in favor of the cyber ones. I’m the idiot!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I always preferred Clive Cussler over Tom Clancy. Cussler's plots were always knowingly bullshit.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Book plot was a shoddily made Japanese car kills six Americans, so Congress immediately changes export laws to cripple the Japanese economy. Japan decides to bring back the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere and has developed nuclear weapons, as the key to their plan to achieve economic dominance is to… seize the Mariana Islands?

Would blame this on Japan panic of the 1980s but this nonsense came out in 1994. Guess Clancy had some knowledge of the USSR but struggled to understand Japan or how the economy works.
My favorite part of the whole book was some rear end in a top hat pointing out the ability of an aircraft carrier to project power to the Japanese of all people in some deep, profound statement.

Motherfucker, did you forget the entire Pacific Theater during WWII? Did you think that they had?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Alan Smithee posted:

picatinny railed dongs

Do people still wrap their guns with condoms to weatherproof them?

FrozenVent posted:

When I read Rainbow 6 at 14, I though I was too young and dumb to understand the plot. Nope, it wasn't me.

I did read that passage where those two homeless experimental subjects had sex way too many times though.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Bell_ posted:

My favorite part of the whole book was some rear end in a top hat pointing out the ability of an aircraft carrier to project power to the Japanese of all people in some deep, profound statement.

Motherfucker, did you forget the entire Pacific Theater during WWII? Did you think that they had?

Lol yeah, and I think a US carrier gets hit but doesn’t sink just like in Red Storm Rising (although no issues with a French carrier sinking.) does a US carrier ever sink in one of his books? It seems like he was on the Christmas card list for higher ups in the Navy and wonder if they didn’t want readers to think their centerpieces were vulnerable.

FrozenVent posted:

Dang why bother with the heavily defended olympics? It’s pre-9/11, put the virus in a humidifier and leave it running near LAX departures.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang why bother with the heavily defended olympics? It’s pre-9/11, put the virus in a humidifier and leave it running near LAX departures.

That was the plot to a Splinter Cell game.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I knew things were coming off the rails for Clancy when he had that long winding subplot about the McVeigh wannabes in Executive orders that ended with them getting caught at a random traffic stop and never interacting with any other character or storyline in the entire book, at all.

What I didn't know was how much worse it could get.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Fragrag posted:

I did read that passage where those two homeless experimental subjects had sex way too many times though.

The drugged sex was the next group of test subjects, the ones they were roofying at bars or talking into coming home and then blackbagging them into vans in metro areas because people moving to NYC or DC from middle of nowhere nebraska are a dime a dozen and wont be missed almost as much as homeless people.

The rightwinger "coastal city elites dont care about us real americans" has been there for a while

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

I knew things were coming off the rails for Clancy when he had that long winding subplot about the McVeigh wannabes in Executive orders that ended with them getting caught at a random traffic stop and never interacting with any other character or storyline in the entire book, at all.

What I didn't know was how much worse it could get.

And then there was Red Rabbit, where he had great fun talking about a UK surgeon leaving the operating table during surgury to pop to the local pub to have a few beers for lunch before resuming the operation.

Cuz they totally do that sort of thing in countries with socialized medicine.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It gets so much better in "The Bear and The Dragon", where he has his characters call the Chinese "Klingons" repeatedly because they're just so inscrutable, those Orientals. And that was probably the least racist thing about the book. Also it had anti-abortion politics introduced with the usual Tom Clancy subtlety (evil Chinese Klingons gun down two priests who bravely try to stop a forced abortion).

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lum_ posted:

It gets so much better in "The Bear and The Dragon", where he has his characters repeatedly call the Chinese "Klingons" repeatedly because they're just so inscrutable, those Orientals. And that was probably the least racist thing about the book. Also it had anti-abortion politics introduced with the usual Tom Clancy subtlety (evil Chinese Klingons gun down two priests who bravely try to stop a forced abortion).

An "abortion" that was being performed as the full-term baby was crowning, for extra wtf.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Steezo posted:

That was the plot to a Splinter Cell game.

Oh didn’t know that, I was thinking 12 Monkeys.

Cimber posted:

And then there was Red Rabbit, where he had great fun talking about a UK surgeon leaving the operating table during surgury to pop to the local pub to have a few beers for lunch before resuming the operation.

Cuz they totally do that sort of thing in countries with socialized medicine.

A similar plot with a drunk doctor killing patients was the very first Law & Order episode.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I always preferred Clive Cussler over Tom Clancy. Cussler's plots were always knowingly bullshit.

Check out William Lovejoy. A B-Tier Cussler, but far less batshit silly with some really neat plots like an invasion of Antarctica that actually makes sense and is still stupid (White Night).

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Lemniscate Blue posted:

An "abortion" that was being performed as the full-term baby was crowning, for extra wtf.

And the robotic chinese doctor switches from trying to inject acid into the baby's brain to swaddling and caring for the infant as soon as it's out of the birth canal because only then is it a person you see.

God I wish Clancy was still alive. You know that fucker would be all over twitter with the dumbest possible takes.

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001
"White Night by William H. Lovejoy - Armed with state-of-the-art aircraft and sub-surface marine armaments, the U.N. sits poised on the edge of Antarctica's white-misted icescape, ready to battle against a covert terrorist enemy that threatens the lives of all humankind."

I need to read this just because of its dumb.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

:lol: I completely forgot about that part. Christ that book was awful.

FrozenVent posted:

lol, yes. Also the part about the Japanese business magnate having an American "Geisha" who gets murdered because she's an American. I think. IDK, it was stupid to begin with.

Yeah pretty much any Clancy book after Sum of All Fears is trash because it gets increasingly clear that he didn't have the Soviet Union to use as a punching bag anymore, so he just started making up poo poo about anyone left of center.

I remember thinking Without Remorse was pretty solid but thinking about it, it was basically a worse Mary Sue kind of book, that had all sorts of stupid Clancy tropes.

Stravag posted:

The drugged sex was the next group of test subjects, the ones they were roofying at bars or talking into coming home and then blackbagging them into vans in metro areas because people moving to NYC or DC from middle of nowhere nebraska are a dime a dozen and wont be missed almost as much as homeless people.

The rightwinger "coastal city elites dont care about us real americans" has been there for a while

I remember even at 14 thinking that part was really weird and off base, because anytime a white woman goes missing in this country, it's like all hands on deck with reporting and such.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kallikaa posted:

"White Night by William H. Lovejoy - Armed with state-of-the-art aircraft and sub-surface marine armaments, the U.N. sits poised on the edge of Antarctica's white-misted icescape, ready to battle against a covert terrorist enemy that threatens the lives of all humankind."

See! I told you!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kallikaa posted:

Some friends and I wrote stories like this in high school except the protagonists/author self inserts were the terrorists who made a base in Antarctica.
Because we were high school kids and we thought it would be hilarious to have a Bond-villain lair in Antarctica.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Hunt for the Red October is really the only one that stands on it's own merits. Red storm would be a standout in the technothriller field if it cut about 200 pages. Without remorse is notable for the sheer fever dream Prostitute-avenging Rambo concept, the rest slowly descend in quality and are mostly only of interest these days if you want to study the quaint notions of pre 9-11 right wingers.

The late ghostwritten / tie-in novels ones are godawful. SSN is the most boring book about a rad subject I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
And in unsurprising news, fascist governments continue to stand together

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1618264482492592138