Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I dimly recall some study or other that found actual Italian-born people did not give nearly as much of a poo poo about the "sanctity" of it as their descendants with hairs up their rear end about it overseas. Is it edible? Does it taste okay? Good enough!

That's fairly standard, immigrant communities of any stripe tend to end up a bit weird and insular and hyper-nationalist about wherever they came from. Like the guy posting on here, I think, who as an <x>-American and going on his own community thought putting actually-Irish and English people next to each other at the dinner table must inevitably result in a fistfight or possibly a stabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my best friend he is lonely because his hygiene is disgusting?

quote:

He denied having bad hygiene, and said he does shower and brush his teeth. He left, and hasn’t talked to me in over a month insisting I need to apologize and set the record straight to everyone we know.

I'm not sure what there is to set the record straight about, if you could legitimately be referred to as "crunchy clothes guy" you're either lying about showering or have somehow learned to shower wrong.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

feedmegin posted:

That's fairly standard, immigrant communities of any stripe tend to end up a bit weird and insular and hyper-nationalist about wherever they came from. Like the guy posting on here, I think, who as an <x>-American and going on his own community thought putting actually-Irish and English people next to each other at the dinner table must inevitably result in a fistfight or possibly a stabbing.

IIRC he was also claiming that Anglo-Irish intermarriage was almost unheard of, which made me lol even harder.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm not sure what there is to set the record straight about, if you could legitimately be referred to as "crunchy clothes guy" you're either lying about showering or have somehow learned to shower wrong.

The post doesn't mention laundry but he's probably never done that either (and why would he, he has a woman now)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Barudak posted:

Sriracha tastes gross and sweet to me, but like, if a guest wanted it on their food after trying it how I prepared it, have at it. I want you to eat, then eat more, then as you are begging for mercy, desert will come.

You....dump them off in the Sahara? Harsh dude.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Captain Hygiene posted:

I knew a guy like this and he did shower but he didn’t use soap, and he also washed his clothes without detergent. The reasoning for this was his horrible skin condition which he claimed was soap sensitivity.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The glaring lack of information is whether the book was assigned for that class. Like if he's just getting some homework done in the car while she's sleeping, that's a weird reaction. If he's seeking out the book on his own that's, uh, problematic at best.

Yeah there is a LOT of missing information, and the way he words it makes it sound like he sought out the book separately, because he was already taking an econ class.

All the comments are saying that he's NTA because "she should listen to other perspectives" and "she shouldn't be screaming at you" while I'm wondering 1, what really happened, and 2, was this the last straw of him being an absolute rear end in a top hat about things.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Captain Hygiene posted:

His options are to be 'right' and single or admit he's wrong and get a date. He's made his decision.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I knew a guy like this and he did shower but he didn’t use soap, and he also washed his clothes without detergent. The reasoning for this was his horrible skin condition which he claimed was soap sensitivity.

That's a terrible solution to a legitimate problem. I had years of lovely skin reaction to most soaps/bodywashes/shampoos until I figured out my dermatitis was flared by products containing SDS/SLS.

But uhhh...I still washed

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Yeah there is a LOT of missing information, and the way he words it makes it sound like he sought out the book separately, because he was already taking an econ class.

All the comments are saying that he's NTA because "she should listen to other perspectives" and "she shouldn't be screaming at you" while I'm wondering 1, what really happened, and 2, was this the last straw of him being an absolute rear end in a top hat about things.

I think the question of whether it's required reading is secondary to the question of whether he agrees with it. If I felt compelled to take an econ class I'd probably wind up going out of my way to read some real stupid poo poo just out of morbid curiosity, although tbf I can't imagine subjecting my wife to it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
there's a level of mental illness where one avoids hygiene in oneself and one's household, and then acclimate such that they turn their senses off to live with it. depending on what they have, some can get kinda resentful of others for pointing out that isn't normal. Admitting it isn't normal would shatter the status quo and force change. Instead, they'll lie they are normal or partaking in normal hygiene rituals (when obviously not) to cover over.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's a terrible solution to a legitimate problem. I had years of lovely skin reaction to most soaps/bodywashes/shampoos until I figured out my dermatitis was flared by products containing SDS/SLS.

Yeah none of the things he was doing were actually beneficial to his problem, it was just an excuse to be monumentally lazy.

He’s in his 40’s now, still lives at home, still wears clothes from 20 years ago. Somehow ekes out a living tutoring under the table.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Failed Imagineer posted:

What products did you end up settling on?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

the holy poopacy posted:

I think the question of whether it's required reading is secondary to the question of whether he agrees with it. If I felt compelled to take an econ class I'd probably wind up going out of my way to read some real stupid poo poo just out of morbid curiosity, although tbf I can't imagine subjecting my wife to it.

I wrote a paper one time that required me, based on curricula I designed to write the paper, to read Cheney and Rumsfeld's autobiographies in full. Multiple times in a semester. I only planned on once each, but that's not how it worked out.

I was a miserable gently caress that semester, and then I graduated. I still won't talk about those books to anyone because of how angry they made me, a decade on.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kurieg posted:

I imagine they'd ding "AITA for moving through space as a perfectly round frictionless sphere and not interacting with any other object" for some bullshit rule or another.

Your post has been removed. Do not repost this without contacting the mods for approval.

This post violates Rule 7: There is no interpersonal conflict here for our community to make a judgment about. AITA posts should not be about feelings or opinions. AITA posts should be about recent specific conflicts you have had with other people. If you’re receiving this message your post is likely about feelings, opinions, or desires rather than a concrete conflict.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
In senior year of high school my AP Environmental Science teacher started the year by making everyone read The Tragedy of The Commons, easily the dumbest thing I've had to take as true

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

If it also alerts you that your infant's vital signs are dropping, this device would solve a good 75% of r/relationships dilemmas.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

therobit posted:

What products did you end up settling on?

I have yet to see it stateside, but I use Aveeno’s Dermexa body wash and layer with perfume. Garbage skin runs through my blood so I’ve dealt with some dryyyyyyyy skin issues. Anything Aveeno has worked pretty well, BUT don’t discount plain ol Vaseline for really lovely patches.

If you’re looking for an A++ lip balm, yes you can use it as a mask but no, no god or man will stop me from using it when I don’t have lipstick on. It’s a vegan dupe of the Laniege mask, and cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/W7-Overnight-Soothing-Strawberry-Contains/dp/B086DSRNR8

This has been another episode of teen witch reviews: poo poo she slops on her skin

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Aveeno has worked well for my Dry Skin Issues too. I've also had good luck with Ivory for body wash. Cetaphil is also great for super sensitive skin although yes it does have a really weird texture to some people.

sullat posted:

Yeah, famous crank JRR Tolkien used to write letters in latin to the pope, complaining about 'these newfangled languages' and how they had no place in the Catholic church.

This is legit hilarious and seems really on-brand for Tokien.

Solkanar512 posted:

AITA for being disappointed in my SO for not taking a day off, getting into a fight and spoiling a surprise proposal?

This person is super loving annoying even aside from the fact that obviously they're kind of an idiot. Some people have specific days of the week where it sucks to be off work, some people have really limited PTO and have to plan way in advance, etc. I just find really grating that attitude of "oh I was going to do something nice for you, all of this was for you, but now that it's not working out exactly 100% the way I envisioned, you're so selfish and I am so hurt." Like, if you want to do something nice for somebody, surprisingly that involves taking their wants and needs into consideration too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

teen witch posted:

I have yet to see it stateside, but I use Aveeno’s Dermexa body wash and layer with perfume. Garbage skin runs through my blood so I’ve dealt with some dryyyyyyyy skin issues. Anything Aveeno has worked pretty well, BUT don’t discount plain ol Vaseline for really lovely patches.

If you’re looking for an A++ lip balm, yes you can use it as a mask but no, no god or man will stop me from using it when I don’t have lipstick on. It’s a vegan dupe of the Laniege mask, and cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/W7-Overnight-Soothing-Strawberry-Contains/dp/B086DSRNR8

This has been another episode of teen witch reviews: poo poo she slops on her skin

Yeah I'll third the suggestion of Aveeno, as well as the Sanex Zero range. But even within those brands you have to check the ingredients to see if they contain SDS/SLS/laureth sulfate/lauryl sulfate/dodecyl sulfate (all the same thing). It can vary from product to product and between geographic regions. Of course, you may not have the same sensitivity in which case I recommend these brands regardless.

And wash your clothes and sheets with non-bio detergents, can't stress that one enough. And invest in a few sets of silk pillowcases :feelsgood:

If you're using some CVS brand or Dial bodywash you shouldn't be surprised that it absolutely strips your skin of all oils and kills you - you'd be better off washing in dish soap at that point.

And finally, for the love of god get a nice simple, SPF30 moisturizer like CeraVe and use it every day. People will tell you "hey your skin looks really nice" . :unsmith:

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 25, 2023

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i wash my clothes with sriracha

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

cumpantry posted:

i wash my clothes with sriracha

So you keep your cum in the pantry and your condiments in the laundry. A true original thinker

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for telling my friend she was undermining my work by having extravagant centerpieces for the bridal table at her wedding, compared to guest tables (which I made centerpieces for?)

quote:

Throwaway. Basically the title.

I (F26) can make really nice floral arrangements. It's not really a business, but I have made centerpieces and arrangements for my family and friends and their events.

Last year, let's call her Sadie (F23) contacted me, saying she likes my work and if I could make some centerpieces for the guest tables at her wedding. Sadie is my close friend's cousin, and while I've seen her around and occasionally talk to her, we're not close friends or anything. I said sure and we worked out what she wanted (also I asked if she wanted something for the bridal table, but she said that was already covered). She invited me to the wedding as well.

So the wedding was last week, I was really happy with how all the centerpieces turned out and thought they looked great. The bridal table, however, had these really extravagant centerpieces that were stunning, and I obviously didn't make them so I asked Sadie who did. She said she made those ones herself, but she wouldn't have time to make all the centerpieces for the tables, so she asked me.

I'll be honest that I felt kind of betrayed, because her centerpieces were much nicer than mine and people would ask about those, not the ones on the guest tables. I didn't say anything but later messaged her (politely, I didn't go off) that I felt she was undermining my effort by having such showy centerpieces.

Sadie said she wasn't trying to undermine anything and this is what they thought went with the decor. I said she should've been upfront about the bridal table, or had the same centerpieces as the guest tables. She started getting pissed, said there's nothing to be upfront about and I'm "overstepping".

So AITA? I'm just kind of pissed she was trying to overshadow my work, but she was annoyed at me for texting that.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I must have titanium skin because Dial men's body wash and suave hand lotion are all I use.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Turpentine and steel wool like a real man you loving wimps.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

A real man doesn't wash.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Tradcaths blaming Vatican 2 for the drying up of vocations is old news, the new hotness is saying allowing girls to be altar servers discouraged boys from doing it and no altar boys now means no priests later

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought we were talking about bathing, not rear end wiping :confused:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I thought the whole "he never trademarked siracha" thing was a myth but it isn't and now I feel bad lol

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Technocrat posted:

Hot sauce guy was trying to subtly pitch his own new recipe by complaining loudly about the lack of flavour in this carbonara, but had to pop home to grab a bottle

He would've pulled it off if he'd remembered to make a trumpeting noise with his hands.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AITA for helping my daughter’s boyfriend against his parents wishes?
https://www.rareddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/ke0xs3/aita_for_helping_my_daughters_boyfriend_against/

quote:

EDIT UPDATE: WOW!! First, thank you all so much for the love and confidence-boosting responses!! Seriously way more than I expected!!

Second, things have seriously changed. My daughter and her bf are living in their new place (address unknown to his parents), his salary is being directly deposited into his own account in a different bank than his parents use, he has a new phone with a new number that they don’t know, and all three of us (him, my daughter and me) have restraining orders against both of his parents.

Long story short, am I the rear end in a top hat for giving my daughter’s boyfriend his portion of the money he needed for them to move into an apartment together, against his parents wishes?

His parents are majorly pissed because I gave him the money, because they didn’t want him to move in with my daughter. He is 22 years old, works a full time job, and has been dating my daughter for 3 years.

His parents require him to give them his entire salary every pay period, it’s direct deposited into their bank account. They give him an “allowance” of $100 per week. They told him he could not move out because they need his help financially, but his father makes really good money as an architect, and his mother makes a moderate income as a high school teacher. I personally don’t think they should be depending on their son’s income or forcing him/guilting him into giving them his money.

I gave him the money, he opened his own bank account and had his job change his direct deposit. They are moving in the apartment this coming weekend. His mother posted a scathing post on Facebook basically threatening me with bodily harm for “messing with her family and getting involved with things that are none of my business.”

She then proceeded to call me and scream at me with pretty much the same message. I hung up on her.

So, am I the rear end in a top hat for getting involved in their family matters? Should I have stayed out of it?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was implied csa.

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 25, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

MrQwerty posted:

I wrote a paper one time that required me, based on curricula I designed to write the paper, to read Cheney and Rumsfeld's autobiographies in full. Multiple times in a semester. I only planned on once each, but that's not how it worked out.

I was a miserable gently caress that semester, and then I graduated. I still won't talk about those books to anyone because of how angry they made me, a decade on.

I’m guessing the multiple times is because each time you read them, your brain would just push large portions of the book out because so much stupid hurt? Then you’d start working on your paper and realize you needed to amalgam something you only vaguely remembered, but had no clue where it was? Like, you kept disassociating every time you read it?

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

I love my daughter very much

no, my adult children do not speak to me, but I don't see what that has to do with anything

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bored posted:

I’m guessing the multiple times is because each time you read them, your brain would just push large portions of the book out because so much stupid hurt? Then you’d start working on your paper and realize you needed to amalgam something you only vaguely remembered, but had no clue where it was? Like, you kept disassociating every time you read it?

It was more connecting dots on what they did in the Reagan and Bush admins, what their stances were with their stated goals of PNAC, how everything coalesced after 9/11 into finishing their unfinished war under any circumstances including falsification, how neither seemed that surprised by 9/11, and just losing myself in their mindset reading that poo poo over and over and over again. There was a lot of other stuff outside those books, but those books are just two absolute monsters patting themselves on the back for how awesome they are.

You only recommend books you like to people, unless there's a professional context to do so.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 25, 2023

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

From the comments:

OP posted:

I got a DUI about a year and a half ago, so I had to quit cold turkey or risk going to jail (I had a blow machine) and my licence was recoked. That was my wake up call. When I got off of probation in September of last year, I did start drinking again but not as nearly much or as heavily as I used to. There was one incident which I'm not proud of that has happened since then but nothing serious other than that. I feel like I'm doing much better. I haven't really talked to my daughter about it.

Don't worry, OP's alcoholism is totally in the past! Why can't the daughter get over her depression in two years like her drunken mother got over her drinking after 35?

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Wtf with that 2nd story. Implied sexual abuse not funny.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

nashona posted:

Wtf with that 2nd story. Implied sexual abuse not funny.

I apologize, I didn't catch there was implications of child sexual abuse. It's removed. Thank you for catching that.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Lottery of Babylon posted:

From the comments:

Don't worry, OP's alcoholism is totally in the past! Why can't the daughter get over her depression in two years like her drunken mother got over her drinking after 35?

Well, except for the liiiiiiittle bit of drinking she does, but that's not a problem. Okay, there was one incident, but that's not a problem. Now the fourteen year old, she really needs to get her poo poo together.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

value-brand cereal posted:

I apologize, I didn't catch there was implications of child sexual abuse. It's removed. Thank you for catching that.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

value-brand cereal posted:

Thank you for taking it down.