Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I found a list that said Gallerians and Deep and Cold Fear are the best knockoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

worms butthole guy posted:

Give me all of the RE clone recs. Didn't know Cold Fear existed lol

Eternal Evil

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

We're just pulling adjectives and nouns out of a hat at this point :effort:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I found a list that said Gallerians and Deep and Cold Fear are the best knockoffs

Galerians has interesting points but goddamn does it have some really boring points, too. And the voice-acting is truly RE1 Levels. I might recommend just watching Retsupurae commenting over it
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo4M1tlpv9rvCcaAzJ7uG8LonaYKOBkpd

I've always heard good things about Deep Fear, though.

Also does Onimusha: Warlords count? I love that game. One of the first PS2 games I ever had. And the music is just incredible. The man who did the infamous RE1 Director Cut OST also did this, or kinda. I forget the whole deal with him but he lied or plagiarized or something. Point is, they cut out his OST from the remaster and that is a drat shame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gJIuPYxVSs

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I didn't say it was good.

I mentioned Cold Fear I’m not concerned about good either.

supergreatfriend has played through a whole bunch of very bad classic-style RE clones so just pulling from his channel: Carrier, Lifeline, Martian Gothic Unification, The Ring Terror’s Realm.

SelenicMartian in the LP forum just did X-Files Resist or Serve and that was also very bad.

If you’ve never played Dino Crisis (the first one) that’s an extremely good RE clone that was made by Capcom itself. The second is good as well but it’s way more action game than survival horror game and in that respect it actually veers closer to RE4, just with the classic camera angles.

I remember playing some anime styled game on the PS1 about an appropriately anime special forces group fighting terrorists in a future office building? There were guns but it was also a beat-‘em-up depending on your character I think? It was one of those games which took its title from the terrible acronym of the special forces group. Does anyone remember that? I don’t think it was BAD but also maybe not good?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That list is not your friend.

Play Dino Crisis and Parasite Eve 2. Maybe toss Fear Effect in there if you're feeling dangerous. Galerians has some neat ideas and visuals, but is a very low priority. Onimusha also owns, but it's as much a proto-Devil May Cry as it is a Resident Evil.

Kibayasu posted:

I remember playing some anime styled game on the PS1 about an appropriately anime special forces group fighting terrorists in a future office building? There were guns but it was also a beat-‘em-up depending on your character I think? It was one of those games which took its title from the terrible acronym of the special forces group. Does anyone remember that? I don’t think it was BAD but also maybe not good?

I think you're talking about T.R.A.G. I've never played it, but it looks janky in an interesting way at least.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Captain Hygiene posted:

We're just pulling adjectives and nouns out of a hat at this point :effort:

Look I realize the username/post combo now but it is an actual game lol. I posted about it in the Horror megathread before if anyone is curious, check my posts in that thread.

Arachnophobes be warned.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Have a look at Cold Fear if you want the blandest possible copy of RE4.

Cold Fear isn't a copy, it was released two months after RE4 so there's no chance in hell there was enough dev time to be inspired by it.

It was however, meant to be the fifth Alone in the Dark game but the developers lost the rights, so part of the reason Cold Fear is so messy is because it's made from what assets they could repurpose.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kibayasu posted:

Have a look at Cold Fear if you want the blandest possible copy of RE4.

I liked the ship setting at the start, with your aim constantly swaying as the ship rolls.

Then you end up in a generic lab for the other 2/3 of the game and that goes away.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 25, 2023

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

I liked the ship setting at the start, with your aim constantly swaying as the ship rolls.

Then you end up in a generic lab for the other 2/3 of the game at that goes away.

they stop being on a ship??? lame

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nightmare of Decay.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Martian Gothic - Unification.

Crowetron posted:

I think you're talking about T.R.A.G. I've never played it, but it looks janky in an interesting way at least.

It's a very weird game, I bought it alongside a copy of Parasite Eve 2 although here in the UK it was called Hard Edge. It's anime cyberpunk Die Hard that plays like a pre-RE4 resident evil with some of the most atrocious voice acting I've heard, even worse than og RE1 because it's bereft of campy charm but still hilarious in its delivery. Also it has very light RPG elements iirc like health and weapon upgrades. CavemanDCJ ran it at SGDQ back in 2019 with Studio and Punchy on the couch and poor Punchy couldn't even stay awake through it.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 25, 2023

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Quote is not edit, oops

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I actually liked the concept of Martian Gothic Unification a lot, despite it being kinda jank

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crowetron posted:

That’s the one, boy that game confused kid-me.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I actually liked the concept of Martian Gothic Unification a lot, despite it being kinda jank

I believe it was developed for some time as just an adventure game with no zombies at all until, well, you know. That at least feels possible because everything about the combat felt very tacked on.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Deep fear actually does rule though. It's solid, short, and doesn't overstay its welcome too much.

It even does most RE tropes decently well, down to the transforming, blobby final boss.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Will the Resident Evil 4 remake on PS4 have any sort of online play? I haven't played an RE game since the original 4 on PS2 and I don't have any idea if the newer games can be played online. But it would be cool to play co-op online as Leon, Ada and Krauser etc.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

What kind of sociopath recommends anyone actually play Martian Gothic? Definitely watch a lets play

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Will the Resident Evil 4 remake on PS4 have any sort of online play? I haven't played an RE game since the original 4 on PS2 and I don't have any idea if the newer games can be played online. But it would be cool to play co-op online as Leon, Ada and Krauser etc.

RE5, 6, and RE Revelations 2 are all on PS4 and built around being played co-op. They're similar to RE4 too.

The newer stuff since RE7 though, I don't think there's any. RE3 Remake had an asymmetrical pvp multiplayer that I never played.

Mantis42 posted:

Code Veronica

e: Also it kind of feels like not much was accomplished in this game. Claire was trying to find her brother and it turns out he was just someplace else. There's an insane Umbrella Corp type who needs to be taken down but that's always the case. Kind of a step down from the two Raccoon City games. I don't blame them for making this a side game, Nemesis a better trilogy capper than this.

The game has too much goddamn plot. It introduces Spencer as the evil genius madman who wants to take over the world, his buddy Ashford, his evil kids, another variant of the T-Virus, the concept of Umbrella having a secret holocaust prison island, and an Antarctic base, and Wesker's back because of a virus, and he planned this all along and he has superpowers because of the virus, and he's working for some other organization, and Alexia can control tentacles and bugs with telepathic virus magic. It's way too much poo poo that gets no room to breathe. The REmake and 0 went back and rewrote history to fit this poo poo in. The story got stupid here.

RE1-3 was a good story about a disastrous attempt by a morally bankrupt corporation to cover up a chemical spill.

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 29, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bloodcider posted:

RE5, 6, and RE Revelations 2 are all on PS4 and built around being played co-op. They're similar to RE4 too.

The newer stuff since RE7 though, I don't think there's any. RE3 Remake had an asymmetrical pvp multiplayer that I never played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FooTa-272AI

There's RE:Verse that came with RE:8age but it's pretty universally panned.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

None of that expanded backstory for Spencer ends up mattering anyways bc Umbrella was destroyed off screen between CV and 4.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

None of that expanded backstory for Spencer ends up mattering anyways bc Umbrella was destroyed off screen between CV and 4.

They immediately bring it back at the end of 4 with Wesker saying "Umbrella's one step closer to re-establishment" (I just looked this up) In 5, Chris wipes the dust off an old logo and it's a big plot point that Umbrella found a flower in a cave, and Spencer made a bunch of Weskers. 6 has Neo-Umbrella. 7 has Blue Umbrella. 8 shows you Spencer got the idea for Umbrella from the village from that very game. There's also Umbrella Chronicles and Umbrella Corps.

They absolutely cannot let Umbrella go.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Bloodcider posted:

They immediately bring it back at the end of 4 with Wesker saying "Umbrella's one step closer to re-establishment" (I just looked this up) In 5, Chris wipes the dust off an old logo and it's a big plot point that Umbrella found a flower in a cave, and Spencer made a bunch of Weskers. 6 has Neo-Umbrella. 7 has Blue Umbrella. 8 shows you Spencer got the idea for Umbrella from the village from that very game. There's also Umbrella Chronicles and Umbrella Corps.

They absolutely cannot let Umbrella go.

RE Megathread: Now that it's raining more than ever

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Can't escape that they made a really cool logo and that Umbrella is a perfect name for a gigantic evil corporation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is also the fact that a giant evil inhuman corporation that controls cities and is run by an insane madman with weird delusions of grandeur has just become more and more relevant as a bad guy organization. The only real difference between Spencer and Elon Musk is that Spencer's insane bullshit actually works.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Resident Evil 9 wraps up quickly when the Neo-neo-Umbrella boss can't stop tweeting his crimes and forgets that airplane tracking is public information

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Jill goes on twitter to tell the public a pharmaceutical corporation is up to no good, gets branded an alt right domestic terrorist and banned from social media.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is she telling people to not get the t virus vaccine tho

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Let's be real, Barry would "just be asking questions"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

Is she telling people to not get the t virus vaccine tho

Look, my friend got the T Virus vaccine and within a few years she had dyed her hair blond and was working as a masked assassin.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1620501689785794563?s=20

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
No QTEs!
Oh, no suplexing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Scalding Coffee posted:

No QTEs!
Oh, no suplexing.

why does that mean no suplexing? suplexing wasn't a QTE, it was a context-sensitive action just like the roundhouse kick

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's not Re4 is someone somewhere isn't getting suplexed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I would legit join a gamer uprising if there was no suplexing in RE4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

No QTEs!
Oh, no suplexing.

They mean things like the boulder. We already is melee prompts are in.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are there any videos showing off melee combat besides the knife?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Pretty sure there was a kick in the first thing they showed off in the initial village section.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
We saw him do the roundhouse kick and it looked really weak compared to the original. I'm hoping that they've expanded on the melee attacks in some way, because that aspect was really disappointing to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Scalding Coffee posted:

No QTEs!
Oh, no suplexing.

I thought this was a Simpson joke