Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ty comrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

107.7 The End in Seattle used to have a commercial like this (before they got bought by iHeartRadio and turned into generic dogshit)

two guys listening to great alt rock on their couch and the police find them as skeletons because "dude this song is great too!" and the cops start vibing to Lithium at the end

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
They've deftly avoided it so far in the MCU but at some point they're going to do what every comics company including (and especially) Marvel has done, which is write themselves into a corner with too many characters, too much power and threat inflation, and too much backstory that they'll have to do a continuity reset, which of course will be a giant crossover event complete with recastings.

After the 2nd or 3rd time I went through it as a comics fan, I realized caring about continuity is a fool's errand. They're stories. Enjoy them or don't.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I guess my question is whether Marvel/Disney is going to be capable of returning to the smaller “street level” stuff since they keep escalating to such a grand scale. Like, looking at the trailers for the new Ant-Man it doesn’t seem to be remotely heist-like, especially since they’re using it to tie in Kang from Loki. I dunno, I’m very much not the target audience since I’m utterly burnt the hell out on it all, but my kid is still obsessed with seeing all the new releases in theaters since she’s 10 and hasn’t gotten to that point yet, which probably explains a lot about how they keep taking in massive returns, new audiences keep cropping up. Whether that’s sustainable after yet another decade who knows, but I can see why they’re still a thing.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Everyone loves spider-man because he’s the neighborhood hero

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Thaddius the Large posted:

I guess my question is whether Marvel/Disney is going to be capable of returning to the smaller “street level” stuff since they keep escalating to such a grand scale. Like, looking at the trailers for the new Ant-Man it doesn’t seem to be remotely heist-like, especially since they’re using it to tie in Kang from Loki. I dunno, I’m very much not the target audience since I’m utterly burnt the hell out on it all, but my kid is still obsessed with seeing all the new releases in theaters since she’s 10 and hasn’t gotten to that point yet, which probably explains a lot about how they keep taking in massive returns, new audiences keep cropping up. Whether that’s sustainable after yet another decade who knows, but I can see why they’re still a thing.

We are already getting Daredevil back, and She-Hulk was a low stakes series. Hopefully the two keep boning and lawyering together, while occasionally teaming up, plus I think its been confirmed Punisher is coming back for that, which probably means his own comeback series as well. Echo (a Hawkeye spinoff) is also planned, which will be street level and also probably intersect with Daredevil and Kate Bishop.

What If? season 2 is coming and a spinoff, Marvel Zombies, which should just be fun and require literally no knowledge of the MCU since they are completely different.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I think if Marvel could get back to stand alone movies then the burnout wouldn't be as bad. You can't have every move seem like it's a must see because they're all continuing a giant story. At some point you just need to have a stand alone movie. It's funny watching DC try and fail to build their DCU though. They would've been so much better off just pumping out Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman movies, but nope, had to copy Marvel.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The likelihood that Mervel movies are stand-alone are near-zero. The creative one-offs will be on Disney+, as evidenced by Werewolf by Night.

Also comic books have the luxury of the ability to change main characters, so when an actor is no longer under contract they can always go "the new god of thunder is a horse-headed alien!"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think if Marvel could get back to stand alone movies then the burnout wouldn't be as bad. You can't have every move seem like it's a must see because they're all continuing a giant story. At some point you just need to have a stand alone movie. It's funny watching DC try and fail to build their DCU though. They would've been so much better off just pumping out Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman movies, but nope, had to copy Marvel.

I think DC could have copied Marvel without falling into the MCU burnout trap. One thing the MCU did that was great was just gloss over Spider-Man's origin story. We already had two huge franchises go over it in detail, and even without those, its fairly common knowledge. We don't need to see Krypton explode and Kal El land in Smallville and we don't need to see Batman's parents get shot in an alley. Just jump in, which is what they kind of tried to do in Batman v Superman (although very poorly). But pick a story you want, make it like 4-7 movies long and then just end it. Tell another story with new actors and new characters. I am really excited for what James Gunn is going to do, and glad he just flat out decided to reboot everything (although I have a feeling all the big names like Cavill and Gadot and even The Rock have all been secretly informed they are doing Crisis on Infinite Earths in like 10 years so just stand by).

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

swickles posted:

We are already getting Daredevil back, and She-Hulk was a low stakes series. Hopefully the two keep boning and lawyering together, while occasionally teaming up, plus I think its been confirmed Punisher is coming back for that, which probably means his own comeback series as well. Echo (a Hawkeye spinoff) is also planned, which will be street level and also probably intersect with Daredevil and Kate Bishop.

What If? season 2 is coming and a spinoff, Marvel Zombies, which should just be fun and require literally no knowledge of the MCU since they are completely different.

Ah good point, I forgot about She-Hulk (watched the first episode and dipped out since, as mentioned, quite fatigued).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1618231448896430081?t=azkaoevZB4tC_U-oV7GusA&s=19

The pope realizes the church can't maintain young people lol

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just make a decent modern Superman movie. I beg you. Just one.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Silly Burrito posted:

1978 Superman is pretty good!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

So apparently yesterday (or the day before) this came out:
https://twitter.com/pope_head/status/1617590556028190720?s=46&t=LsDPjQP_C7I90VFpHVJQlg

Anybody here read Italian? :italy:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Day 9 of testing positive!

Just wanna be able to hang out with the lady and idk, go to the grocery store or something :suicide:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GD_American posted:

They've deftly avoided it so far in the MCU but at some point they're going to do what every comics company including (and especially) Marvel has done, which is write themselves into a corner with too many characters, too much power and threat inflation, and too much backstory that they'll have to do a continuity reset, which of course will be a giant crossover event complete with recastings.

After the 2nd or 3rd time I went through it as a comics fan, I realized caring about continuity is a fool's errand. They're stories. Enjoy them or don't.

Marvel Comics hasn't ever done a big continuity reset. That's like, the biggest difference between them and DC, there's no Marvel equivalent to Crisis on Infinite Earths or Flashpoint or Rebirth or whatever the gently caress DC is doing right now.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wasn’t that what the Ultimate Marvel stuff was supposed to be? A modern edgy Marvel but like 2000’s edgy

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Probably the closest thing Marvel could do is House of M but they already shot that round with Wanda/Vision.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Quote is not edit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobjr posted:

Wasn’t that what the Ultimate Marvel stuff was supposed to be? A modern edgy Marvel but like 2000’s edgy

Yeah, but they kept publishing the normal 616 stuff at the same time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The Robert Pattinson Batman movie loving ruled and I’d love to see more in that universe. Idk if it’s part of the DCU or if Batfleck is coming back but the grittiness of The Batman was perfect for the character. The casting was awesome too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Joey Freshwater posted:

The Robert Pattinson Batman movie loving ruled and I’d love to see more in that universe. Idk if it’s part of the DCU or if Batfleck is coming back but the grittiness of The Batman was perfect for the character. The casting was awesome too.

There's a sequel in work that's in script writing. The assumption is that it'd build off of the idea that Barry Keoghan would play Joker, given his "cameo" at the end of the film.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's also possible Warner Bros allows Matt Reeves to work independently of James Gunn's universe.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

And now Hulu has followed suit:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah Marvel's done some "marvel but in 1600" stuff but none of that is really meant to be taken seriously and none of it erases the main continuity. There's also been big events like Secret Wars that "change everything!" (not really). The tie-ins that involve All Your Favorite CharactersTM are tried-and-true methods for getting people who only care about spider-man to care about and buy issues of other lines, and it's a natural progression to do the exact same thing with the movies. Seems to be pretty effective. But it's also potentially exhausting if done too much and it looks to me like Marvel's trying to walk that line.

Part of this whole deal is actor contracts too though. If you have an actor signed on to play a character and you don't use that character for 4 years you may lose that actor. Robert Downey Jr. is done, or says he is, and they've written his character out. Same with Scarlett Johansson. Chadwick Boseman died. So I think that's part of what drives the desire to "use them while you've got them" and stuff cameos into every movie, do crossovers, whatever. DC doesn't seem to worry about this nearly as much, given how many supermans and batmans we've had, so maybe Marvel shouldn't fret either, but it feels to me like people connect more with a character that has a consistent actor playing them.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Android Apocalypse posted:

The likelihood that Mervel movies are stand-alone are near-zero. The creative one-offs will be on Disney+, as evidenced by Werewolf by Night.

Also comic books have the luxury of the ability to change main characters, so when an actor is no longer under contract they can always go "the new god of thunder is a horse-headed alien!"

The cowards would never make a Beta Ray Bill movie.

Skwirl posted:

Marvel Comics hasn't ever done a big continuity reset. That's like, the biggest difference between them and DC, there's no Marvel equivalent to Crisis on Infinite Earths or Flashpoint or Rebirth or whatever the gently caress DC is doing right now.

Yeah, for better and worse. They've done tweaks here and there (Spider-Man: One More Day being a notable example), but never a full-on reset like a Crisis

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If anything I'm curious how Secret Invasion & Secret Wars play into the MCU as having Skrulls impersonating our heroes can allow for some soft resets.

The introduction of multiverses also allows to do character/story resets, which is incredibly convenient.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

It's Morbin Time! is the best moment from Infinity Wars by far

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Man of Steel was good. :colbert:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Android Apocalypse posted:

So apparently yesterday (or the day before) this came out:
https://twitter.com/pope_head/status/1617590556028190720?s=46&t=LsDPjQP_C7I90VFpHVJQlg

Anybody here read Italian? :italy:

Love the clickbait tweet which doesn’t even share what the bombshell is about!!!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Welp, there goes my weekend:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1618247681666875392?s=20&t=uBv73UP663qKegJBXdPmZg

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Fifty Three posted:

Man of Steel was good at not understanding Superman. :colbert:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Saw Rollins do spoken word stuff twice while I was in school. Somehow, Iowa State managed to get some pretty sweet speakers to come through while I was there.

Rollins is great when he gets to rant. It’s like a two hour stream of consciousness. Dude barely even stops to take a drink and it’s not stop funny and smart.

Really stupid late, but I think it's cool that Rollins toured like 300+ days per year for something ridiculous like 30 years, but actually became rich through his side hustle of publishing his own books. I admire DIY

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I admire you, D-Link. You’re commitment to quality construction, fair labor practices, and plowing French hotties.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fifty Three posted:

Man of Steel was good. :colbert:

It was fair.

We don’t need Krypton, we don’t need Superman’s parents dying again, people know Superman and his story. Follow the example of the Tom Holland Spider-Man regarding the backstory.

Just have him working with Lois on a case for the Planet, saving the world against some threat(Mongul, Darkseid, Brainiac, etc), and he’s confident and gets the job done in the end.

Cliche, maybe but it’s simple and it will work.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Love the clickbait tweet which doesn’t even share what the bombshell is about!!!

It’s OK because I can think of few things less materially important to me than a pontiff validity crisis.

Also maybe some priests are gay? It is peak :catholic:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Same thing!

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I admire you, D-Link. You’re commitment to quality construction, fair labor practices, and plowing French hotties.

I definitely married above my pay grade. Good to see you too, buddy

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

D-LINK posted:

I definitely married above my pay grade. Good to see you too, buddy

Always nice to see you pop up in these threads. Hope life is still treating you well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Joey Freshwater posted:

it was campy as hell I dunno about gritty