Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’m not super trusting of a car with only one key, but I did trade in a car where I lost one of the keys so things happen. Getting a new one would probably be a couple hundred bucks.

To me that is a super insane amount of money to pay for a six year old car when you could buy like a brand new well equipped CX-5 for 30K at a probably lower interest rate and with a warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’m not super trusting of a car with only one key, but I did trade in a car where I lost one of the keys so things happen. Getting a new one would probably be a couple hundred bucks.

To me that is a super insane amount of money to pay for a six year old car when you could buy like a brand new well equipped CX-5 for 30K at a probably lower interest rate and with a warranty.

Hmm yeah MSRP for this is around 32k and from what I've seen they are going for under that nowadays. Given we just had to get rid of an older car maybe now's not the best time to be buying used. Thanks!

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Was debating putting this in the general AI questions thread, but it could bleed into BFC land, but I'm curious what people would do...

I have a 2012 Prius with 70,000 miles that has had no issues other than having its catalytic converter stolen back in Nov. I thought I had a line on a replacement from a local transmission shop (located in California for reference), but they called last week saying sorry our order was cancelled, 6 month back order. We had a rental for a month via insurance, but that's gone now. We have a primary vehicle, so we aren't completely without a car, but with two kids, the second car really comes in handy, because trying to rely on Uber or some other kind of Turo/Getaround thing isn't the most practical. With the kids, when the second car is needed, it's really needed if that makes sense.

I don't really know how we can go without the second car for 4-6 months. I don't _think_ we can sell the Prius as is without the cat converter. We can afford to buy a new car, but still need to deal with the Prius either way. Any creative ideas on what we could do?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Was debating putting this in the general AI questions thread, but it could bleed into BFC land, but I'm curious what people would do...

I have a 2012 Prius with 70,000 miles that has had no issues other than having its catalytic converter stolen back in Nov. I thought I had a line on a replacement from a local transmission shop (located in California for reference), but they called last week saying sorry our order was cancelled, 6 month back order. We had a rental for a month via insurance, but that's gone now. We have a primary vehicle, so we aren't completely without a car, but with two kids, the second car really comes in handy, because trying to rely on Uber or some other kind of Turo/Getaround thing isn't the most practical. With the kids, when the second car is needed, it's really needed if that makes sense.

I don't really know how we can go without the second car for 4-6 months. I don't _think_ we can sell the Prius as is without the cat converter. We can afford to buy a new car, but still need to deal with the Prius either way. Any creative ideas on what we could do?

Well, you said creative…..

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the outcome if you just weld in exhaust pipe where the cat conv used to be. Or can you just buy one for a... toyota corolla? Camry? Civic hybrid? It exists to improve the exhaust, presumably you can drive it for size months with a similar part, but I have no idea. Also maybe check other parts suppliers. Just because they can't get it doesn't mean other options don't exist

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 25, 2023

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Hadlock posted:

What is the outcome if you just weld in exhaust pipe where the cat conv used to be. Or can you just buy one for a... toyota corolla? Camry? Civic hybrid? It exists to improve the exhaust, presumably you can drive it for size months with a similar part, but I have no idea. Also maybe check other parts suppliers. Just because they can't get it doesn't mean other options don't exist

Yea this might end up being the best option I just gotta find a shop in LA willing to do the work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh, in California? Be ready to deliver it on a trailer without plates on and declare it for offroad use only. An... offroad toyota prius. With stock tires

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Any creative ideas on what we could do?
Since you're in California, most replacement catalytic converters aren't emissions-approved or sellable in this state. There's at least one aftermarket option: Magnaflow 5671448 is just the part you probably need, 5631453 is a more complete system (and is significantly more expensive). The Magnaflow piece isn't cheap, but is compliant and is a complete solution.

Driving with a random pipe instead of a catalytic converter is not emissions legal, is extra illegal to install, and will make you and your car smell bad. Installing a non-CARB certified 3rd party cat will keep your check engine light off, but means you'll fail emissions inspection and have to replace it again to register the car.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

heffray posted:

Since you're in California, most replacement catalytic converters aren't emissions-approved or sellable in this state.

Installing a non-CARB certified 3rd party cat will keep your check engine light off, but means you'll fail emissions inspection and have to replace it again to register the car.

The only reason I’m entertaining this option is because I passed a smog test a few months back and at some point in the next 6 months I should be able to get a CARB certified cat to install. It means I have to pay outta pocket for the first non-certified installation but that’s probably still cheaper than any kind of 4-6 month rental/lease takeover/whatever else.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Running without a carb is probably not great for the environment but for six months is probably inconsequential, especially if you swap a new one in to meet smog check this fall. Also illegal as someone pointed out, so uh, good luck with whatever you decide

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You said insurance. This is their problem. They need to pay what it costs to have the car fixed NOW, keep paying for your rental, or buy the car off you. Tell your insurance agent they need to make you whole. That's their job.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I pushed (what I felt was reasonably) hard with our claims agent/adjuster who told us our coverage only had 30 days of rental and we were on our own to find a cat converter. We have Geico. I’m gathering I can make more of a stink to make this their problem?

edit - we do pay for comprehensive coverage if that makes a difference. Reviewing our policy docs now.

ScooterMcTiny fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 25, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Be nice but insistent. Say you need a car and you need options. It sounds like you're not picky about how this is solved, so put the ball in their court and keep it there until they come up with something that will get you to go away. Be a very respectful and apologetic pain in their rear end. Find a manager and be a respectful pain in THEIR rear end. About a year ago I had an absolute shitshow run in with Turo and it took forever and was nothing but heartburn, but Geico eventually made the problem go away for me (by issuing me a big check). I had to be relentless (but never rude or an rear end in a top hat) for it to happen.

I still have the contact info for that claims manager if you want me to PM it to you. Don't know if he's still there, but he was based out of Cali.

Edit: don't give Turo money. They're just as bad as any other techbro company "disrupting" the industry by saying "what if we were [regulated industry] but saved a bunch of money by just insisting regulations don't apply to us?"

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 25, 2023

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
My sister's inlaws had their Prius cat stolen, and insurance totaled it. They got around 6k for the car and towed it away.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

KillHour posted:

Be nice but insistent. Say you need a car and you need options. It sounds like you're not picky about how this is solved, so put the ball in their court and keep it there until they come up with something that will get you to go away. Be a very respectful and apologetic pain in their rear end. Find a manager and be a respectful pain in THEIR rear end. About a year ago I had an absolute shitshow run in with Turo and it took forever and was nothing but heartburn, but Geico eventually made the problem go away for me (by issuing me a big check). I had to be relentless (but never rude or an rear end in a top hat) for it to happen.

I still have the contact info for that claims manager if you want me to PM it to you. Don't know if he's still there, but he was based out of Cali.

Edit: don't give Turo money. They're just as bad as any other techbro company "disrupting" the industry by saying "what if we were [regulated industry] but saved a bunch of money by just insisting regulations don't apply to us?"

Super helpful, thanks. Will go back to Geico and see what they will do.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I'm pretty set on the CX-5 now. The problem are trim levels.

The preferred and premium packages are the two I'm debating on, and there's a 3k difference. The 3k would get me:

Adaptive headlights
"Combination" LED taillights (this video shows the details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB4nMscmjJ4)
19 in rims (though I'd rather have 17s as they're more comfortable and cheaper to replace)
Paddle shifters (I'd never use this)

So basically the big thing for me would be the adaptive headlights. Are they worth it? My understanding is that they add motors to the headlights which can complicate things, but seem to improve visibility. FWIW I'd mostly be driving on the city, and rarely (if ever) in rural areas. I just don't want to regret not spending the money now if there's a huge difference.

What's infuriating is because of chip shortages, power liftgate and Bose audio just get credited with Mazda's actual cost ($600). There's no way I'd be able to get a power liftgate and an upgraded sound system all installed for $600..

I don't think I need them, just frustrating.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm not sure what the Mazda adaptive lights are like but matrix headlights on Audis/Porsches are fantastic

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Adaptive headlights are neat but not necessary especially in the city, and not worth $3k by themselves. If that’s the only feature you’re stressing about I say don’t worry about it.

Both my cars have adaptive lights and most of the time I would not notice if they were not. They are most noticeable/effective on dark winding roads, and they do work well in that environment and I like watching them do their thing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My CX-5 adaptive headlights are fine and useful to keep the treeline lit on curves on unlit roads. But I didn't even know I had them till the first time I went camping because every other time I'm somewhere with streetlights.

Premium should also get you heated side view mirrors unless they are also subject to electronic shortages which depending on your climate could be worth $3k by themselves.

Little confused by you mentioning Bose and the liftgate, those are Premium Plus and Mazda is supposed to be doing trim and not option style selling. Unless you mean that's why you've ruled out premium plus.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I hate to say it, but I want those drat tail lights fully lit too:

I used to drive an Integra and spent $200 on eBay to get the facelifted taillights. I don't see any reliable places that sell these aftermarket or whatnot yet, but they might end up being expensive.

My only concern on the adaptive headlights is that it adds complexity and might be an expensive fix down the road. I think all it does is move with the steering wheel, which sounds nice, but man $3k lol. Part of me thinks Mazda has a bunch of inventory so that $3k upsell could end up being closer to $2.5k if I negotiate.

I guess I'll just go in and see what they have, then if I have to pick, I might just splurge because this is probably gonna be our last ICE car.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

zedprime posted:

My CX-5 adaptive headlights are fine and useful to keep the treeline lit on curves on unlit roads. But I didn't even know I had them till the first time I went camping because every other time I'm somewhere with streetlights.

Premium should also get you heated side view mirrors unless they are also subject to electronic shortages which depending on your climate could be worth $3k by themselves.

Little confused by you mentioning Bose and the liftgate, those are Premium Plus and Mazda is supposed to be doing trim and not option style selling. Unless you mean that's why you've ruled out premium plus.

It's confusing for sure. I read that the lower trims were supposed to have them, but they had to phase it out because of the chip shortage. Instead of removing it from the sticker, they provided a $600 credit. Here is an example:

There you can see that both Bose and Liftgate packages were supposed to come on the car, but in lieu of putting them in at the factory, are reducing MSRP by $600. I'd absolutely pay $600 to get those installed, given the option.

Apparently there are some 2023 models being built now that are missing Bose, but have the liftgate, so there's a ~$400ish credit instead of $600.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Wow that's dumb, there's absolutely no way that $600 covers the feature shortfall, and would absolutely not cover a retrofitted install were that to ever be available (hint: it won't).

I mean I guess it's better than stripping the features and giving no credit at all, but yeesh.

Are the even higher trims also gimped, or are they just doing this at the margin on lower trims? Like I bought my '21 Signature because it had everything and I didn't have to faff with options packages. I'd be pretty pissed if a new Signature didn't have standard "luxury" features like premium audio and power lift gate.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Its absolutely dumb.

They're shifting to make it seem like you have to get the Premium Plus or higher trims in order to get those features. I think their factories are just prioritizing chips for those higher margin trims, and they'll make it back into lower trims soon. I don't really need a power liftgate (actually prefer the manual hydraulic), and I don't really care for Bose (BUY OTHER SOUND EQUIPMENT :smuggo:), but I'd expect more than $600 back.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mazdas website mentions Premium not having the liftgate or Bose so I imagine it was a last minute shakeup from MY22->23 to ship volume in spite of electronics. How that factors into the sticker is odd but stickers gonna do weird sticker things.

I don't think you have Premium Plus (replaced GT and some other mid trims from 21) or Signature without the electronic doodads to justify the price. You'll pry my HUD and liftgate from my cold dead hands. I've been fully radicalized to prefer doodads with too much maintenance impact and paying more for the privilege.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I'm happy with my '23 Corolla so far, except the drat infotainment screen started resetting every few minutes, which even disconnects / reconnects my phone's Bluetooth. I'm going to call my dealer's service center about it.

What's the word on the street about the model year 2023 Corolla? Anything big crop up yet?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Mazdas website mentions Premium not having the liftgate or Bose so I imagine it was a last minute shakeup from MY22->23 to ship volume in spite of electronics. How that factors into the sticker is odd but stickers gonna do weird sticker things.

I don't think you have Premium Plus (replaced GT and some other mid trims from 21) or Signature without the electronic doodads to justify the price. You'll pry my HUD and liftgate from my cold dead hands. I've been fully radicalized to prefer doodads with too much maintenance impact and paying more for the privilege.

I was tempted to jump a trim level for my girlfriend's CX-30 to get the HUD, but she didn't give a poo poo so I was going to get her the Select since that had enough bells and whistles. That got delayed and they had a Carbon on the lot and we both liked the color and interior so she ended up in that. I also like doodads but with the way everyone does trim levels now they just absolutely blow the price up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

me personally I ain't payin 3 grand for fancy headlights and tail lights but i like my cars spartan

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I watched a video of HUD in action and I would absolutely get into a car accident with it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

literally this big posted:

I'm happy with my '23 Corolla so far, except the drat infotainment screen started resetting every few minutes, which even disconnects / reconnects my phone's Bluetooth. I'm going to call my dealer's service center about it.

What's the word on the street about the model year 2023 Corolla? Anything big crop up yet?

I'd find some dedicated Corolla forums and browse there. I'm sure they exist, and I bet they even have specific threads for new models, known issues, etc.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

literally this big posted:

FWIW I had a similar problem with a Mazda 6 where it took effing ages to start up, which turned out to be a problem with the 3rd party bluetooth adaptor crashing the system on boot (dealer didn't even know about it, found the service bulletin online and quoted it to them and they took care of it, then hit a deer a few months later (unrelated)).

Or, you could be a victim of NPR - do you listen to any HD FM stations? https://www.theregister.com/2022/02/10/mazda_radios_images/

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

KillHour posted:

You said insurance. This is their problem. They need to pay what it costs to have the car fixed NOW, keep paying for your rental, or buy the car off you. Tell your insurance agent they need to make you whole. That's their job.

Thanks for this btw. Geico agreed to total the car with a surprisingly good offer. Found a local Chevy Bolt lease takeover for 8 months to try out an electric car as our second vehicle.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Simple Question -

What would be considered the best compact to small/midsized SUVs of the general 2010-2015 era?

Thanks to this thread, I’m in no hurry to ditch my Volvo. But I’ve discovered that with my leg braces, getting in and out of an SUV is incredibly easy. I’m trying to narrow down what is decent in an extremely general sense, so I can save some searches.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Captain Log posted:

Simple Question -

What would be considered the best compact to small/midsized SUVs of the general 2010-2015 era?

Thanks to this thread, I’m in no hurry to ditch my Volvo. But I’ve discovered that with my leg braces, getting in and out of an SUV is incredibly easy. I’m trying to narrow down what is decent in an extremely general sense, so I can save some searches.

"Best" can be subjective, but if I was shopping for one, it would be a Toyota RAV4. I'm buying my daughter a 3 to 5 year old one when she becomes old enough to drive, and I would expect it to last her through college if not longer.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm in early days of looking at potentially replacing my 2010 Nissan Xterra Off Road with 175K miles on it.
Proposed Budget: $~45K
New or Used: New preferably
Body Style: SUV/Wagon
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, maybe some light off-road on rutted woods roads. My daily driving is probably less than 15mi/day on an normal day
What aspects are most important to you?: Better reliability than my Xterra, better mileage, cargo space, good highway comfort on long drives.

What I love about my Xterra:
Space-The rear seats fold completely flat as does the front passenger seat so it can hold alot of stuff. I use it for delivering furniture for my business some and it can hold a full 4 poster bed. I'm not sure if I need the new car to be able to do this. It's nice to be able to drive my normal, comfortable car on out of town deliveries but I have a big pickup truck and can always rent a van.
Off-road- It's a tank off road with low 4wd, great for pulling logs out of the woods up at the hunting camp etc. Again, not sure I need the new car to be able to do this. We have a tractor up there now and I may wind up keeping the Xterra up there depending on trade in value etc. From past experience I know that becomes a maintenance nightmare, but it's an option.

What I don't love:
Mileage- It gets like 18mpg on the highway. Anything will be better.
Highway comfort- It's big and tall and kind of scary to drive at high speeds in wet or windy conditions. I don't like to fly usually and would generally rather drive and I probably do 2x2000 mile road trips a year
Reliability-It just hasn't been great. Not a total nightmare, but it's needed a radiator (maybe 2?) and several expensive sensors over it's lifetime beyond normal maintenance. It's not even so much the cost of those things that bothers me as much as the panic when the check engine light comes on and I'm 4 hours from home.

I haven't test driven anything yet, but my online research has led me to the Mazda CX-50 and Subaru Outback. I've stopped by dealerships and looked inside both in person. The CX-50 looked super nice-maybe too nice for a humble carpenter-and had more space inside than I expected, but not as much as the Xterra. It also didn't look super off-roady but that's an area of my requirements which may not be so important anymore. The Outback definitely had plenty of space and especially the Wilderness edition looked plenty capable for the off-road sort of driving I do and has the same or better ground clearance as my Xterra. The wilderness edition does seem to get a bit worse mileage even than the other turbocharged engine models. A friend has a newish hybrid RAV-4 and it feels great and the mileage is very attractive but it feels pretty cramped inside.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

I've read very mixed things about the Subaru CVTs itt and my awesome mechanic has mentioned they were an issue for a while-have those issues been resolved or are they still a potential maintenance problem/definitely going to need replacing?

E: Forgot to mention that I have a dog now and the Xterra is a bit tall for him to get in comfortably, even with a little ramp. A lower tailgate would definitely be nice.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 26, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Thanks for this btw. Geico agreed to total the car with a surprisingly good offer. Found a local Chevy Bolt lease takeover for 8 months to try out an electric car as our second vehicle.

Congrats! Glad it worked out for you.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

skipdogg posted:

"Best" can be subjective, but if I was shopping for one, it would be a Toyota RAV4. I'm buying my daughter a 3 to 5 year old one when she becomes old enough to drive, and I would expect it to last her through college if not longer.

Because I’m a plotter and a planner, I’ve been checking used car websites daily with filters for a few weeks. Oddly enough, I’ve not seen a single RAV4 in my range range of bullshit.

Which means they must be good.

Those box shapes Kias must be the opposite, because those are everywhere.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Might be able to find a Toyota Venza for a little cheaper than the RAV4. They are extremely close in size.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Ours is getting an F-350 so old it barely runs, and after she survives her first accident fender bender, she's getting the Toyota-through-college upgrade

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Edit: my OP was needlessly confrontative. I just meant to say that I would be worried about giving a first time driver a huge truck with outdated safety features.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Because I’m a plotter and a planner, I’ve been checking used car websites daily with filters for a few weeks. Oddly enough, I’ve not seen a single RAV4 in my range range of bullshit.

Which means they must be good.

Those box shapes Kias must be the opposite, because those are everywhere.

the Kia Soul is probably an ideal car for your use case if you get the chance to see how ingress/egress is for you. It's kind of tall, it's kind of small, it's cheap, and it's reliable. Other than the small issue that they are very easy to steal I think it's one of the better possible options. You could also look at Scion xDs as an alternative little box thing.

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Might be able to find a Toyota Venza for a little cheaper than the RAV4. They are extremely close in size.

the old Venza sucked tremendously, one of the worst products Toyota has brought to market. The new one is pretty good in that it's just kind of a swoopy RAV-4 with a nicer interior.