Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Fish of hemp posted:

How would Russian occupation be better for the Ukrainian people?
Is there a post ITT that you can quote that says that, or are you just making up imaginary posting enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fish of hemp posted:

Does modern Russia have that?

No, they also don't have toilets or washing machines

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Russians will get mad if you take their picture because they think the camera can steal their souls.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol @ "Orthodoxy" being on the list of scary ideologies.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fish of hemp posted:

How would Russian occupation be better for the Ukrainian people?

On the one side we have the IMF and the SS Galicia division, on the other we have notable Denikin fan Vladimir ""Pinochet" Putin. Clearly one of those is a better deal for the people of Ukraine to the extent that feeding everyone from 16 to 60 into a woodchipper is worth it.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
you can hypnotize a russian by pressing a grain of millet up to their nose and holding it there for 10 seconds

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

nobody is better off with the orcs in charge

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
are the avars and dargins snotlings or grots, i can never keep them straight in my head

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

lol @ "Orthodoxy" being on the list of scary ideologies.

it’s the tsar’s list.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

loving lol

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s still amazing to me that some of y’all come out for explicit , Autocracy, Nationalism and Orthodoxy because America bad.

Russia is a liberal democracy. Sure it probably doesn't have free and fair elections, but neither does America. Putin has more support from the Russian people than Biden has from the American people. It is also probably less nationalistic than America. And I don't know what your problem with the Orthodox church is.
Plus nobody is really saying they love Russia. Just that Russia (and their ally China) defeating America would be good for the world.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Weka posted:

Plus nobody is really saying they love Russia.

Speak for yourself. I really love Russia and vladimir putin.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It wasn't the latest variant or they didn't have the right super armor or whatever.

No one wants to admit that the Iraqi tanks in 91 largely didn't even have night vision equipment or ammo that could penetrate a more modern-tank.

IIRC all the US tanks that were destroyed at the big tank battle were knocked out by DU munitions.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Slavvy posted:

No, they also don't have toilets or washing machines

3 Pinnochios. Russia has captured many washing machines and toilets in Ukraine.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Hey since you’re here - given the facts that Russia is militarily incompetent and incapable, that Ukraine has all the super weapons and a million man army, and that Ukraine is killing 7 Russians for every man they lose: how is it that Ukraine hasn’t gotten all the invaders kicked out yet?

I would love to see all these bits of known true facts reconciled with the maps. cause to me it seems very contradictory to gloat about Russia losing while also saying Ukraine is on the brink if it doesn’t get the latest super weapons.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Best Friends posted:

Hey since you’re here - given the facts that Russia is militarily incompetent and incapable, that Ukraine has all the super weapons and a million man army, and that Ukraine is killing 7 Russians for every man they lose: how is it that Ukraine hasn’t gotten all the invaders kicked out yet?

I would love to see all these bits of known true facts reconciled with the maps. cause to me it seems very contradictory to gloat about Russia losing while also saying Ukraine is on the brink if it doesn’t get the latest super weapons.
Sounds like this dummy doesn’t understand that all our enemies are powerful and dangerous while also being incompetent paper tigers.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

would love to be sippin on a baltika 8 right about now

9 tho

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Baltika is not good.

Forgive me St. Putin.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weka posted:

Baltika is not good.

Forgive me St. Putin.

fool! i live and will die for the honor of some industrial campus in st petersburg oblast that i will never see or visit.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Weka posted:

. And I don't know what your problem with the Orthodox church is.

Orthodoxy in general is quite fine.

The trio is the pre 1917 line of the Tsar. It’s been being explicitly referred / appealed to in the last year or so by Putin and Russian government folks. The Russian wing of Orthodoxy is a state captured denomination and isn’t representative Orthodoxy in general.

if one follows the state of current right wing propaganda you’ll see a similar trio recontextualized and pushed in other countries. The trad caths often get subbed in for Orthodoxy in the western aimed propaganda.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sullat posted:

IIRC all the US tanks that were destroyed at the big tank battle were knocked out by DU munitions.

lol deep cut, I like it

What was the movie with Meg Ryan and Denzel where he's traumatized from it? The General's Daughter?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The Russian wing of Orthodoxy is a state captured denomination and isn’t representative Orthodoxy in general.

This is as opposed to the other Patriarchates that...?

Boring Explainer for Agnostics/Atheists posted:

The Orthodox Church is organized into several self-governing bodies known as "autocephalous" or "autonomous" churches, which are often referred to as "Patriarchates." These include the Patriarchates of Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, Jerusalem, Moscow, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Georgia, Cyprus, Greece, Poland, and the Czech Lands and Slovakia. Each of these Patriarchates is considered the spiritual leader of the Orthodox Christians within a particular geographic region, which is often referred to as a "nation."

However, it's important to note that these nations do not always align with modern nation-states. For example, the Russian Orthodox Church is the spiritual leader of the Orthodox Christians not only in Russia but also in other countries with significant Russian-speaking populations, such as Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan. Similarly, the Patriarchate of Constantinople is considered the spiritual leader of the Orthodox Christians in Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, and the Middle East, but also for the Orthodox communities in the Americas and Japan.

This is because, the Orthodox Church operates independently of the state and political boundaries and the concept of "nation" in the Orthodox Church refers to the cultural, linguistic and ethnic communities that have historically been part of the Eastern Orthodox Church. The concept of "nation" in this context is not limited to the modern nation-state. Therefore, the Patriarchates are not limited to the territories of a single nation-state, but rather to the spiritual needs of the particular ethnic or linguistic communities within the Orthodox Church.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Jan 25, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

lol deep cut, I like it

What was the movie with Meg Ryan and Denzel where he's traumatized from it? The General's Daughter?

That would be courage under fire

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

That would be courage under fire

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eICxl_JOIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvIc-nam3OY

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

some of you don't understand what critical support means and it shows

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Orthodoxy in general is quite fine.

The trio is the pre 1917 line of the Tsar. It’s been being explicitly referred / appealed to in the last year or so by Putin and Russian government folks. The Russian wing of Orthodoxy is a state captured denomination and isn’t representative Orthodoxy in general.

if one follows the state of current right wing propaganda you’ll see a similar trio recontextualized and pushed in other countries. The trad caths often get subbed in for Orthodoxy in the western aimed propaganda.

Do you have a link you could share where Putin appeals to autocracy? Or some clues that would help me search, maybe what sort of language he uses?

Frosted Flake posted:

Bro you of all people know the difference between a nation and a state. I think it's fair to say that the Russian Orthodox Church has strong ties to the Russian state.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My head of State is also the Head of the Church of England and yet I'm not concerned about Anglicans carrying out directives from Whitehall.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

church of england lol thats fake

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Weka posted:

Do you have a link you could share where Putin appeals to autocracy? Or some clues that would help me search, maybe what sort of language he uses?

Bro you of all people know the difference between a nation and a state. I think it's fair to say that the Russian Orthodox Church has strong ties to the Russian state.

nationalism and orthodoxy:

“To have a better understanding of the present and look into the future, we need to turn to history. Certainly, it is impossible to cover in this article all the developments that have taken place over more than a thousand years. But I will focus on the key, pivotal moments that are important for us to remember, both in Russia and Ukraine.

Russians, Ukrainians, and Belarusians are all descendants of Ancient Rus, which was the largest state in Europe. Slavic and other tribes across the vast territory – from Ladoga, Novgorod, and Pskov to Kiev and Chernigov – were bound together by one language (which we now refer to as Old Russian), economic ties, the rule of the princes of the Rurik dynasty, and – after the baptism of Rus – the Orthodox faith. The spiritual choice made by St. Vladimir, who was both Prince of Novgorod and Grand Prince of Kiev, still largely determines our affinity today.”

Orthodoxy

“Most importantly, people both in the western and eastern Russian lands spoke the same language. Their faith was Orthodox. Up to the middle of the 15th century, the unified church government remained in place.”

Just for the lmao

“The Bolsheviks treated the Russian people as inexhaustible material for their social experiments. They dreamt of a world revolution that would wipe out national states. That is why they were so generous in drawing borders and bestowing territorial gifts. It is no longer important what exactly the idea of the Bolshevik leaders who were chopping the country into pieces was. We can disagree about minor details, background and logics behind certain decisions. One fact is crystal clear: Russia was robbed, indeed.”

I would characterize the whole thing as autocratic.

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/66181

That’s just one speech. There have been several.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Looks like Ukraine gets the cutting edge Abrams tanks they need

to defeat Iraq 30 years ago, they're getting M1A1 FEPs lol

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

nationalism and orthodoxy:

“To have a better understanding of the present and look into the future, we need to turn to history. Certainly, it is impossible to cover in this article all the developments that have taken place over more than a thousand years. But I will focus on the key, pivotal moments that are important for us to remember, both in Russia and Ukraine.

Russians, Ukrainians, and Belarusians are all descendants of Ancient Rus, which was the largest state in Europe. Slavic and other tribes across the vast territory – from Ladoga, Novgorod, and Pskov to Kiev and Chernigov – were bound together by one language (which we now refer to as Old Russian), economic ties, the rule of the princes of the Rurik dynasty, and – after the baptism of Rus – the Orthodox faith. The spiritual choice made by St. Vladimir, who was both Prince of Novgorod and Grand Prince of Kiev, still largely determines our affinity today.”

Orthodoxy

“Most importantly, people both in the western and eastern Russian lands spoke the same language. Their faith was Orthodox. Up to the middle of the 15th century, the unified church government remained in place.”

Just for the lmao

“The Bolsheviks treated the Russian people as inexhaustible material for their social experiments. They dreamt of a world revolution that would wipe out national states. That is why they were so generous in drawing borders and bestowing territorial gifts. It is no longer important what exactly the idea of the Bolshevik leaders who were chopping the country into pieces was. We can disagree about minor details, background and logics behind certain decisions. One fact is crystal clear: Russia was robbed, indeed.”

I would characterize the whole thing as autocratic.

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/66181

That’s just one speech. There have been several.

I read the transcript when he made it, there's no appeal to autocracy that I recall and certainly these historical claims are not autocratic. I don't even know how saying 'x and y happened in the past' could be autocratic without some comment, direct or implied, about the present or the future.
And a desire to reclaim the traditional lands of your people (whatever it's merits) is not fundamentally autocratic.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

Looks like Ukraine gets the cutting edge Abrams tanks they need

to defeat Iraq 30 years ago, they're getting M1A1 FEPs lol

And theres the excuse for why the Abhrams will remain invincible after a bunch of them get knocked out by the Russians

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Weka posted:

I I don't even know how saying 'x and y happened in the past' could be autocratic without some comment, direct or implied, about the present or the future.

he’s making a romantic appeal to the past to justify an invasion. that’s a Revolutionary Romanticism.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Best Friends posted:

Because attacking is hard and right now battles are taking place in areas that Russia has occupied 8 years and has had the time to make defensive positions. I don't what superweapons you are referring to. To me they seem to be fighting with regular weapons that every army uses.

Do you think that well known corruption in the Russian army hasn't had any impact to their capabilities, such as night vision and modern anti armor ammunition?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
neither Russia nor Ukraine is the US fuckin take it to the other thread you simps

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Because attacking is hard and right now battles are taking place in areas that Russia has occupied 8 years and has had the time to make defensive positions. I don't what superweapons you are referring to. To me they seem to be fighting with regular weapons that every army uses.

Do you think that well known corruption in the Russian army hasn't had any impact to their capabilities, such as night vision and modern anti armor ammunition?

I think it’s two lovely right wing corrupt countries fighting, OP, with the resulting obvious implications for their armies. armies which do seem capable of killing each other.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Russia is super corrupt but i think their tanks still have their night vision systems and they still have giant stockpiles of anti tank weapons, yes

in the same way as the west in generally corrupt as gently caress and yet NATO can still go gently caress somewhere up/Open fresh markets every 10 years

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
In order not to tread on ground already covered in the Ukraine thread I now declare this The Goblin Zone. Post ur fave gobbos everyone

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
So how about that US loss in WW3?

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Fish of hemp posted:

Военный Осведомитель posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
Артиллерийский удар бойцов 9 полка НМ ДНР по украинской бронетехнике и солдатам. Навели на цель разведчики 1 обспн.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/95992, via tgsa)

Dambiev posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
Подбитый украинский танк Т-72АВ в Артемовске.
(from t.me/ChDambiev/21784, via tgsa)