Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm scared of ch20, I wasnt sure how many dark maps this game would have but it's one too many I fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

jimmydalad posted:

What would be a good class to reclass Rosado into? I reclassed Jade into a Wyvern Knight with the exact same weapons as him and I don’t want them competing over the same niche.

Rosado's got an ~okay~ magic base and good growth and can serve as a decent Griffon Rider if you want another staff user.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

jimmydalad posted:

What would be a good class to reclass Rosado into? I reclassed Jade into a Wyvern Knight with the exact same weapons as him and I don’t want them competing over the same niche.

Eh, you can give Rosada a different weapon spec in wyvern if you still want Rosado to fly. Unless you already have a flying sword.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hmm having a tough time deciding what to promote Chloe to. Griffon gives better all-around stats, lets her continue to tank Magic, and having a flying healer would really help out. On the other hand, Wyvern gives her better stats where she needs it most (Str and Def), has a much better skill and having two weapons is really useful this time around.

Definitely have to put more thought into this than Sacred Stones!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I went Griffin with Chloe and that's worked out really well for me. Having staff access on her is great and I think the class leans into her strengths more, making her even harder to hit. I did have to stop and think about it for a while, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel like there's something I'm missing with regards to weapon diversity; does it do anything for you other than preventing counterattacks and avoiding getting broken on your turn?

okay now that I think about it half my core team uses tomes and a quarter uses knives/art/Tiki; I may be the weird one

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I went Griffin with Chloe and that's worked out really well for me. Having staff access on her is great and I think the class leans into her strengths more, making her even harder to hit. I did have to stop and think about it for a while, though.

I am firmly of the opinion that you can never have too many backup staff users

comes in handy

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's most Staff Emblem since Thracia for sure.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I have Chloe, Ivy, and Framme all in a staff class and am still wondering if maybe I should reclass somebody else to have a fourth. Staves just have huge utility in this game.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I feel like there's something I'm missing with regards to weapon diversity; does it do anything for you other than preventing counterattacks and avoiding getting broken on your turn?

okay now that I think about it half my core team uses tomes and a quarter uses knives/art/Tiki; I may be the weird one

I mean I think breaking/avoiding getting broken is a pretty drat good reason in and of itself. I’ve found myself using Engages more defensively, like giving Alfred Marth simply so he can wield a sword against certain enemy formations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I've been using Framme as pure staffbot all game since her Str growth was pathetic and she couldn't damage anything, even when I forged her art. But then I promoted her to Martial Master and gave her the free Silver-Spirit Art you get and... holy poo poo, she actually fucks poo poo up? Like, really well? Where has this murder goddess been all game?

Also I haven't had the opportunity yet, but she just unlocked Vajra-Mushti at Byleth bond 10 so I am going to have this tiny girl punch out a General if it's the last thing I do

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Honestly I don't see being able to be broken on a defensive unit as a bad thing. I'll often position my defensive guys in a place where they will get broken just to ensure they will draw the attack. The ai loves inflicting breaks, even if there's no follow up or a squishier target to hit, so controlling who gets hit is important.

Also I made Chloe a griffin because griffins are cooler than wyverns. Also this games wyverns don't do it for me. The best looking wyverns are how FEW depicted them.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I feel like my army is slowly morphing into Flier Emblem with all these Wyvern Knights.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I don't run a single wyvern this time and doing fine.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
technically Ivy is a wyvern unit

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Tried Tiki's Paralogue today and :eyepop: those dragon mobs :eyepop:

I'm absolutely positive I'm jumping in too early since my crew are mostly level 8, but I'm not sure how a few levels are going to change my chances. I got the first sigil, but by that point I had the reinforcements coming along with all the mobs in the west tunnel aggro'd. I only even got in the drat complex by Engaging drat near everyone and using the Obstruct staff to have only one of those side tunnel mages hitting at once. Any recommendations? Etie seems like she'll have to step up to be MVP but with 4 Def, positioning her to take out dragons without getting immediately served during enemy phase seems like a tall order.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah my final team is really low on fliers

I'm mostly running with

Alear
Alfred (FE8 Paladin)
Diamant (FE10 Ike/Hero)
Timerra (special Halberdier)
Ivy (imagic Dragon)
Lapis (Swordmaster)
Jean (Master Monk)
Anna (Warrior)
Yunaka (Wolf Rider w/ Axes)
Chloe (Griffon Rider)
Citrinne (Sage)
Etie (Sniper)
Louis (General)

with Clanne, Celine and Framme as alternates if I need more staves.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Doesn't Tiki's paralogue scale with your progress. Obv it's better to wait for more emblems and stuff but you should be able to tackle it anytime.

I was planning on going once I beat chapter 9 since I heard the next ones are a big spike and you lose most of your emblems.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Syrnn posted:

I'm absolutely positive I'm jumping in too early since my crew are mostly level 8, but I'm not sure how a few levels are going to change my chances. I got the first sigil, but by that point I had the reinforcements coming along with all the mobs in the west tunnel aggro'd. I only even got in the drat complex by Engaging drat near everyone and using the Obstruct staff to have only one of those side tunnel mages hitting at once. Any recommendations? Etie seems like she'll have to step up to be MVP but with 4 Def, positioning her to take out dragons without getting immediately served during enemy phase seems like a tall order.

That map scales with your story progress, so coming back later would just make the enemies higher level too. It might be easier if you have more tools available (better staves and weapons and stuff) but you can't outlevel it.

What worked for me was basically to never split up the group, for the most part. Go slowly, bit by bit, and kill each reinforcement wave as they come. (They'll eventually run out, but it'll take a while.) Once you're inside the fort you can send a couple people to run around and open the doors while the rest of your squad keeps taking out reinforcements. Use Chain Guards to draw out the dragons if you need to.

I'm absolutely certain it can be done a lot more efficiently than I did, but basically just clumping up, being very careful about which enemies you lure with which units (Chloe's great for drawing the mages' attacks for example), and crawling through little by little. The main way that map will get you is if reinforcements arrive while you're busy dealing with another problem, or if you spit your group and one half can't deal with a reinforcement wave on their own.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The dragons also have really low defense, so if you've invested in Framme she can take them out in a single round. Makes the map go down a lot smoother if you don't have the patience to wait out all the waves.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hero appears to be a pretty incredible class but in a way that scales the more of them you have and is pretty SP expensive to get fully online.

Basically, Hero's class skill lets them double when they do chain attacks. That's not that great on its own, but if you pair it with Dual Assist+ from Lucina so they have a high chance of joining a chain attack as long as they can reach the target by moving, and then have like four or five of your units as Heroes, it's a pretty dramatic effect. We're talking like 8 to 10 chain attacks going off every single time any of your units attacks, and that really adds up and massively increases your ability to one-round enemies.

I'm probably not going to abuse that too much on this playthrough just because I value having a wider variety of units, but I could see that being a really effective late game strategy on Maddening.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 25, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah when I go back and do a maddening run it definitely feels like the bulk of the army is going to be made up of generals and heroes with 2-3 magic/staff bots.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm actually considering reclassing Kagetsu as a General after reading someone else posting about how effective that's been. Louis has been struggling to gain useful stats for like four or five levels now, and if I reclass Kagetsu he'll have almost as much Def as Louis with like double the Speed. He looks much cooler as a Swordmaster but an unusually fast General is pretty tempting.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just finished Chapter 20 and decided to look into the start of Chapter 21 :eyepop:
Gonna do 1-2 more paralogues. Anyways my team is:
Yunaka
Chloe
Alcryst
Panette
Timerra
Seadall
Ivy
Hortensia
Celine
Kagetsu
Goldmary

Pretty lopsided on the ladies but they're all too good to not use.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

It's too bad he doesn't have a freakishly high Str growth or he'd be inverse Anna.

That would have been fun, yeah.

Sydin posted:

I appreciate that all her crit quotes are some flavor of a low menacing "you hosed up" followed by "Zappity, I did it!" after the kill.

Also speaking of Yunaka if you get her to Bond 5 with Ike the conversation is him going "Oooooh I get it you're an assassin, yeah I worked with a guy like that before, good dude" and Yunaka getting flustered about how she has no idea about this whole "assassin" thing.

Unsurprisingly, Panette sees through her immediately. As does Zelkov.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 25, 2023

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Syrnn posted:

If Etie is killing the dragons in one shot, then you're gold and can manage the rest. Steel Bow should do it on Normal or Hard, but if not, one forge and/or a Strength Tonic will make up the difference. The dragons are the actual danger, so if you keep killing them immediately everything comes together.

The reinforcements are every three turns past a certain turn count and they always spawn in the same place, up to about 10-12 waves. The last wave is three dragons. You can and should wait out the reinforcements and kill everything in the tunnels before hitting the triggers, and you should position people to be ready for the next unlocked room before it opens. This is particularly important for Tiki, who can't do much to Louis; having him ready to block the hallway helps a lot.

If you really want to cheese it, check whether you've got the Longbow yet (one drops in the story), then hand it to Etie. The dragons behind the locked doors can aggro and attack through it, and if you have Etie with the Longbow then she can walk to the left locked door, kill that dragon, then walk to the right locked door to kill that one too.

Don't forget the Silver Card. (It's sparkling on the map; there's a Warp Staff in the treasure, so just send someone you don't need to get it at the end.)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FrickenMoron posted:

There's just a lot of good lady units. The only dudes in my core 12 are Alear and Louis. Sometimes the dancer guy whose name I forget also cycles in if I feel like I'm going to need a bit of extra player phase force projection.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

I had noticed that Louis was the only dude left in my main party before starting the mission that gives you Jade, and I'm taking that as a sign. The only dude in my party was an armor knight and then they gave me a lady armor knight, so gently caress it we are going full ladyparty.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
I vaguely recall the weapon weight penalty to be a bigger deal in previous games, but I'm finding that most of my speed-reliant characters can still double with most weapons (except axes, but I don't have a fast axe user). Was it always -1 speed for every point higher than the character's bld/con?

On the flip side, there's the engravings which add like 20 weight to a weapon. I haven't found much utility for those other than putting it on a Thunder tome for a dire thunder user

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

posadas posted:

I vaguely recall the weapon weight penalty to be a bigger deal in previous games, but I'm finding that most of my speed-reliant characters can still double with most weapons (except axes, but I don't have a fast axe user). Was it always -1 speed for every point higher than the character's bld/con?

On the flip side, there's the engravings which add like 20 weight to a weapon. I haven't found much utility for those other than putting it on a Thunder tome for a dire thunder user

I put the engravings that add weight to weapons that I give to my armor knights. Louis ain't doubling poo poo anyways, so it's not like it matters. Same reason I give them the smash weapons. Most things can't hurt the armor knight anyways, so it doesn't matter if they take the first hit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

posadas posted:

I put that one on a maxed out silver lance and gave it to Louis. It's not like he's going to be doubling anyway and the engraving also gives a ton of extra Mt so may as well maximize how much he can hit for in his one attack per combat.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I put it on mage knight Citrinne with Sigurd for Momentum/Canter. I'm not sure the extra three damage is worth the tradeoff of her guaranteed death if anything can reach her on the enemy phase, but she's a railgun and that's fun.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm actually considering reclassing Kagetsu as a General after reading someone else posting about how effective that's been. Louis has been struggling to gain useful stats for like four or five levels now, and if I reclass Kagetsu he'll have almost as much Def as Louis with like double the Speed. He looks much cooler as a Swordmaster but an unusually fast General is pretty tempting.

Generals do have a speed cap of 17 so he's gonna ram that almost instantly

a lot of classes have some ridiculously low stat caps this time around. Like Axe Fighters/Berserkers have a Res cap of 11 and Berserkers cap Def at 18.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Having spent some more time with Alfred and his crew, I'm extremely amused because it's become obvious that what's actually happening here is that Alfred is obsessed with getting beefy, but because Elyos doesn't have modern medical science, he has no idea how to do this effectively. He and Etie are basically trying to invent gym culture by just trying everything and mostly failing. It's a two-person muscle cargo cult.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any ideas how to deal with Eirikas paralogue? The mobs arent an issue but she just straight up deletes one person always with the emblem activation. even if I Qi guard etc she just picks someone else.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Anyone have any experience with Amber? I like the Alpaca Man and I’m seeing what works for him and Wolf Knight seems really powerful. +3 to Speed and gives Knives, which seems really good with his high Strength.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yunaka + Corrin is such an insane combo lmao

Sure let's just let Yunaka bring her own Avoid terrain with her wherever she goes!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Harrow posted:

Yunaka + Corrin is such an insane combo lmao

Sure let's just let Yunaka bring her own Avoid terrain with her wherever she goes!
after 16 games in which thieves were mid-tier at best, engage has finally broken tradition, giving us the most efficient murder machine known to man

and all it took was removing the assassin class and letting everyone open chests & doors, thereby completely invalidating the previous niche role that thief filled

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

FrickenMoron posted:

Any ideas how to deal with Eirikas paralogue? The mobs arent an issue but she just straight up deletes one person always with the emblem activation. even if I Qi guard etc she just picks someone else.

Selfquote cause I managed to beat it remembering I had a freeze staff. This truly is staff emblem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have yet to meet a boss that can survive a blast from the Corrin hose and subsequently getting all the emblem attacks and a whole Framme combat round to the face.