Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SettingSun posted:

-Mitsuru will waste exorbitant amounts of time casting Marin Karin but it her credit it will actually land sometimes.

Change her AI setting. I can't remember what's there but you can turn of Marin Karin usage completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oh I know. Probably Focus Target (and maybe more but you have to unlock them!) but honestly I let her do it to try and have it land more. Her Bufu didn’t do a lot of damage anyway.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Having finished Strikers (other than the postgame stuff but I don't really have motivation for that) I've started P4G and I'm blown away by how friendly and nice everyone is compared to the start of P5R.

Also I guess you're probably supposed to hate the homeroom teacher but he's hilarious and I love him.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Persona games are usually much easier than mainline SMT but yeah some of the Tartarus bosses are kinda RNG rolls at higher difficulties because they have numerous ways to just kill MC in one turn if the right combination of things happen. Intrepid Knight is one of them!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Shyrka posted:

Having finished Strikers (other than the postgame stuff but I don't really have motivation for that) I've started P4G and I'm blown away by how friendly and nice everyone is compared to the start of P5R.

Also I guess you're probably supposed to hate the homeroom teacher but he's hilarious and I love him.

Yeah those are normal reactions coming off P5. They severely toned down how comedic the teachers could get in P5, probably because the Kamoshida arc required a more serious school setting to work.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I finished P5R earlier this month. It was awesome to have such a modern Persona game but overall it fell a little flat for me. Thematically it felt all over the place as opposed to 3&4 which felt a lot more focused in scope. 5 also has just almost too much stuff to do which made me feel annoyed at how the palaces were broke up. A lot of the “puzzles” didn’t feel like puzzles so much as forced backtracking.

There were also a fair number of points that felt like hanging plot holes. I know some people have pointed out Kasumi’s phone but I can buy the explanation she was using her sister’s phone. One thing that bugs me though is after defeating Shido there’s a scene where his underlings talk about continuing the project without him. I assumed the Maruki stuff would tie into this but it never did and nothing ever happened. The whole third semester, while I enjoyed it, felt kinda tacked on and a very weird jump from the Shido & holy grail plot .

I’ll probably replay it over the summer, kinda curious if it’ll change my feelings about it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's not so much a loose plot thread as it is a poorly tied up one, as I read it. All that scene wants to tell is you that changing Shido's heart won't end the conspiracy, and that further measures are needed. This sets up the mementos heist and the reveal of Yaldy B as the conductor, as well as Joker turning himself in afterwards. The "conclusion" to that setup is Sae's throwaway line at the end that the case against Shido is proceeding and maybe the investigation into the conspiracy will actually untangle the whole mess.

It is completely unrelated to the Maruki stuff, which I think is a good call, because his story is personal and focuses on him, the Phantom Thieves, and Akechi/Sumire, which is a lot more compelling than a big shadowy conspiracy. The third semester was added in Royal; the original story skipped straight from Joker turning himself in on Christmas to the confidant montage and his subsequent release. This adds a lot of space between the conspirator scene and its limp conclusion, but I think tying Maruki to the conspiracy (other than being a tertiary victim of Shido's cognitive psience monopoly) would have been a misstep.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shyrka posted:

EVERYBODY IN THIS ROOM IS A WHORE! NOW TAKE A CHASTITY BELT AND SIDDOWN!

Anyone who like P4 should definitely watch the Hiimdaisy comic dubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUTQKMRLYQ

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 25, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I just finished P5R and I forgot did they ever spell out the subplot of Morgana freaking out less and less when he sees treasure? I assume it's just some kind of gaining more a connection to the real world but they drew a lot of attention to it in a few palaces.

btw total misstep Mona going crazy at treasure was hilarious.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AlternateNu posted:

EVERYBODY IN THIS ROOM IS A WHORE! NOW TAKE A CHASTITY BELT AND SIDDOWN!

Anyone who like P4 should definitely watch the Hiimdaisy comic dubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUTQKMRLYQ

Man I wonder what Gigi is up to nowadays.

I followed their webcomic Cucumber Quest and even kickstarted the books but then I think they experienced a bunch of burnout and eventually couldn't keep going on with it.

I guess I could Google it but that would kill the mystery.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 26, 2023

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Gigi is still posting and also doing some professional work for some other things (last I can recall was a comic?), but I don't think CQ is coming back anytime soon

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They're working on a Visual Novel ATM but I have no idea what the progress is or anything.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Bystander posted:

Gigi is still posting and also doing some professional work for some other things (last I can recall was a comic?), but I don't think CQ is coming back anytime soon

I mean yeah I'm sure the bridge was crossed years ago.

YggiDee posted:

They're working on a Visual Novel ATM but I have no idea what the progress is or anything.

I hope she does great things, they're very talented.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 26, 2023

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I love all the hopeless teachers in Persona 4 who can't help derailing their lessons with their own personal nonsense. Except for the one creepo, get rid of that guy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Morooka is the best part of P4, maybe the only good part

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry about it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

GoodApollo posted:

There were also a fair number of points that felt like hanging plot holes.

after defeating Shido there’s a scene where his underlings talk about continuing the project without him. I assumed the Maruki stuff would tie into this but it never did and nothing ever happened.

P2 Eternal Punishment handled this plot point way better by having everyone involved in the massive government conspiracy either die from demons, get killed by the party, or transformed into shambling monstrosities by Nyarlathotep.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Man I wonder what Gigi is up to nowadays.

As a heads-up, Gigidigi's using they/them pronouns now.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

I love all the hopeless teachers in Persona 4 who can't help derailing their lessons with their own personal nonsense. Except for the one creepo, get rid of that guy.

Somebody needs a change of heart.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

amigolupus posted:

P2 Eternal Punishment handled this plot point way better by having everyone involved in the massive government conspiracy either die from demons, get killed by the party, or transformed into shambling monstrosities by Nyarlathotep.

As a heads-up, Gigidigi's using they/them pronouns now.

Oh dang I didn't know that, I'll fix my post.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

anakha posted:

I have somehow managed to memory hole this man's existance.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

anakha posted:

Yep thats the one

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

No Wave posted:

I just finished P5R and I forgot did they ever spell out the subplot of Morgana freaking out less and less when he sees treasure? I assume it's just some kind of gaining more a connection to the real world but they drew a lot of attention to it in a few palaces.

btw total misstep Mona going crazy at treasure was hilarious.

I forget the exact conversation, but he is completely unfazed by Okumura's treasure, which Ann notices and points out after they escape the Palace. He gives a line or two about having obsessed over humanity from afar, and having finally found a place to belongs among them, and that's the resolution we get.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I forget the exact conversation, but he is completely unfazed by Okumura's treasure, which Ann notices and points out after they escape the Palace. He gives a line or two about having obsessed over humanity from afar, and having finally found a place to belongs among them, and that's the resolution we get.

Weirdly I forgot about that but did notice that (palace 6) he doesn't react at all to Sae's 'treasure' which I took after the fact to be a big clue that they were using a fake.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hellioning posted:

I have somehow managed to memory hole this man's existance.

:psyduck: I don't remember that guy at all either, and I just played through the golden release right after it came out on PC so it wasn't even that long ago

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I had to check the old GB endurance run to make sure that wasn't a photoshop and he really did say that, at least in the original release. Yikes!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Morooka is also overly obsessed with Rise and Kashiwagi is... Kashiwagi. It's easy to gloss over because it's only a couple throw away lines and just the overall tone of the game, but there are actually more teachers creeping on their students than not on P4, lol.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like the pharaoh teacher and puppet guy

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I forgot, is P4 the one with the history teacher that wants to talk about the Sengoku Jidai and nothing else?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hellioning posted:

I forgot, is P4 the one with the history teacher that wants to talk about the Sengoku Jidai and nothing else?

That's P3

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That teacher fuckin loves the Sengoku era. He wears a kabuto to every lecture.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Aren't the history teachers in P3 and P4 related?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They’re brother and sister!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Okay, and she's the one that wears the pharaoh's headdress to every lecture, right?

Man there are a lot of Weird and Strange teachers to go alongside the Awful and Horrible ones.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

P5's greatest sin is not having any absurd teachers, imo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nya

Prowler
May 24, 2004

SettingSun posted:

I had to check the old GB endurance run to make sure that wasn't a photoshop and he really did say that, at least in the original release. Yikes!

Immediately after that, he says something along the lines of "Uh, I probably shouldn't have said that. Please don't tell your parents I said that."

That is the only time I recall seeing that teacher so far in my playthrough--the rest of them stand out enough to be memorable.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

P5's greatest sin is not having any absurd teachers, imo

I have a soft spot for the boomer social studies teacher in P5 who thinks his job is less to teach material and more to whip lazy entitled kids into shape because I had the exact same social studies teacher in Freshman year of HS and it's funny to see it now as an adult and just kinda be slightly bemused by it all instead of being a terrified 14 year old.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

SettingSun posted:

he still says it in golden, i can confirm this as i have it on switch and had to stop and go :psyduck: at it

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TBH the less I rmb about strange teachers back in HS I feel that I'm better off forgetting everything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

M.Matsuda posted:

he still says it in golden, i can confirm this as i have it on switch and had to stop and go :psyduck: at it

He also says something like "Uh, don't tell your parents I said that haha!" straight afterwards.