Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

fits my needs posted:

i dont "get" david lynch. what am i doing wrong

nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

watch movies like you listen to music. you put it on, how do you feel? don't think 'drat why is there an Am chord here. its so unusual. why is the opening of the song so slow'. you're being an rear end in a top hat just listen and vibe. It's someone's self expression. if you don't like it that's ok maybe you don't like jazz

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if you're having trouble "getting" David Lynch just skip ahead to the episode about the kid with hulk hands in Twin Peaks season 3 and realize that he actually sucks

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Stuff like Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive are also deliberately making fun of an era of TV that is long gone, so it may be hard to connect with that aspect of them nowadays

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it's like I had a buddy in highschool loved John Mayer etc. I put on Kid A and he was like, drat this poo poo sucks. And where he was coming from, he was right, what he liked about music wasn't present, and he couldn't identify with it. But after I was playing it a few times he texted me 'he what was that song that goes 'do do do'. and he got into it after that, once he gave up the pretension of what music should be and didn't see other music as an attack on his tastes or self image

ironically this also happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmfZXZronW8

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Jan 25, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

Avatar 2 being cheaper than three of the Avengers movies is kind of surprising especially when you consider a chunk of that money went into developing new technologies and techniques to make it look good

not that many big paychecks. saldana only got $8m

quote:

The salaries for Avengers: Age of Ultron have just been released, and they are incredibly telling. The rankings are as follows:

Robert Downey Jr. - $40 million

Scarlett Johansson - $20 million

Chris Evans - $6.9 million

Jeremy Renner - $6.1 million

Chris Hemsworth - $5.4 million

Mark Ruffalo - $2.8 million

lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Antonymous posted:

it's like I had a buddy in highschool loved John Mayer etc. I put on Kid A and he was like, drat this poo poo sucks. And he was right.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

it's like I had a buddy in highschool loved John Mayer etc. I put on Kid A and he was like, drat this poo poo sucks. And he was right.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

i say swears online posted:

not that many big paychecks. saldana only got $8m

lol

Evans got paid less than half of Scarjo and almost ten times less than RDJ is a big lol.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if you're having trouble "getting" David Lynch just skip ahead to the episode about the kid with hulk hands in Twin Peaks season 3 and realize that he actually sucks

Twin Peaks season three captures the essence of our contemporary era better than any other media. It absolutely rules, even if that means it isn’t as enjoyable.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

If you thought you were an 'artsy kid' in the early 2000s idk how david lynch and radiohead weren't a fact of life. it was unavoidable

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

why the hell would i give a poo poo that something captures the essence of our contemporary era? i'm already in our contemporary era

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
CGI is used so pervasively and and so mundanely a lot of what you think is practical effect is just cgi that has so been done so well you can't tell

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

If you thought you were an 'artsy kid' in the early 2000s idk how david lynch and radiohead weren't a fact of life. it was unavoidable

i snuck into american beauty when i was fourteen. i wasn't that artsy

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/capybaroness/status/893877753774297088

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

CGI is used so pervasively and and so mundanely a lot of what you think is practical effect is just cgi that has so been done so well you can't tell

no i can tell

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

the advent of digital squibs is a goddamned blight and will never look convincing

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

why the hell would i give a poo poo that something captures the essence of our contemporary era? i'm already in our contemporary era

because it can be pleasing to consume art that executes its themes well, and sometimes even more so when those themes are relatable

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

*walking into a grocery store* drat this place really captures the essence of our contemporary era

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Xaris posted:

eh. hobbit had a fuckton of really grody bad cgi effects compared to LOTR (and it had a few bad ones itself like the ghosts or some of the scenes of gondor breaking). the loving river scene was a joke and looked horribly bad. a few of the dragon scenes were also really bad. it was definitely a lazily low-effort garbage poo poo out for a paycheck

but yes i'd agree the problem with those movies weren't the effects , not even close to the mountain of other issues

Lotr ghosts look amazing up close, the green battle mist I'll give ya, that looks like poo poo.

That river is an actual river in new Zealand. Like those hills in California, the rocks just have that look.

Weta and wingnut actually put huge effort into these films, their "care levels" were likely as high as they could be, not that it matters.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

*self-suturing to avoid an urgent care clinic* drat this really captures the essence of our contemporary era

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

*walking into a grocery store* drat this place really captures the essence of our contemporary era

tghis is actually a really succinct description of why twin peaks owns and you think its some sort of burn

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
is visiting hobbiton worth it

Antonymous posted:

too artsy fartsy for me i guess

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fits my needs posted:

is visiting hobbiton worth it
this sounds like a way to interact with the most annoying tourists on the planet

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

annaud does good sex scenes like in enemy at the gates

lol

alternatively: yea, because it's a documentary!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A lot of The Hobbit being awful is forgivable when you consider Jackson had like no pre-production because the studio wouldn't push back any of the dates when Del Toro dropped out

He was literally making poo poo up on the spot and everyone was rushing to the very last minute just to get things put together, whereas LotR was planned out for like 2 years before filming.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

That scene rules tho?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

tghis is actually a really succinct description of why twin peaks owns and you think its some sort of burn

drat looks like i've owned myself with my own logic

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

fits my needs posted:

i dont "get" david lynch. what am i doing wrong

he’s really funny, great sense of wacky humor, e.g. just in mulholland drive there’s the badalamenti/cappuccino scene, the cowboy, the hitman’s botched hit, silencio singer dying……. Lots of good bits

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

and this is one of his best

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Antonymous posted:

david lynch. the scene where bill pullman comes too fast and his wife gently pats him while whispering "its ok" in slow motion is great storytelling (he kills her a few minutes later)

the one in twin peaks season 3 where the monster comes out of the glass box and kills the two people

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

That scene rules tho?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

A lot of The Hobbit being awful is forgivable when you consider Jackson had like no pre-production because the studio wouldn't push back any of the dates when Del Toro dropped out

He was literally making poo poo up on the spot and everyone was rushing to the very last minute just to get things put together, whereas LotR was planned out for like 2 years before filming.

isnt it when he lost a lot of weight too? maybe thats what did it

after king kong, right? man that movie was a bit of a slog. the dinosaur cgi in that movie looked p bad, like some parts of jurassic park 1 seem better.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

*self-suturing to avoid an urgent care clinic* drat this really captures the essence of our contemporary era

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Antonymous posted:

in 1998 freshman year of college my friend had a framed picture of Laura Palmer in his room and would tell people it was his dead GF. he had the vhs box set and introduced me to it. good times.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Antonymous posted:

i find it kinda funny. i find it kinda sad.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fits my needs posted:

isnt it when he lost a lot of weight too? maybe thats what did it

after king kong, right? man that movie was a bit of a slog. the dinosaur cgi in that movie looked p bad, like some parts of jurassic park 1 seem better.

Yeah, and then he put it back on throughout production by stress-eating bread and cheese.

King Kong though.. yeah. It wasn't great. I think that was the start of Jackson going all George Lucas and getting more into the technology than the filmmaking
which is probably why he's not making films now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is america https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfGOOL6j_F8