Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

delightful posted:

Dana White has done a good job of equating UFC = Dana White, but I think it couldn't be any worse under any other leadership. How hard it is to lie to people and say "this is the biggest card of all time" or "this is the most incredible matchup ever put together". Literally anyone could do his job while also not beating up their wives.

Come on now. What if you're watching TUF and a really good fight happens and then you need someone to sit in the talking head room and say "what a fight, these guys are great fighters"

Who else could do that? Their teammates who are living and training with them? Their coaches who are experienced in the sport? No. Only the world's greatest promoter can do that job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CarlCX posted:

I'm glad that I enjoy MMA the sport itself enough to continue caring as much as I do, because yeah, it's loving tough. As someone who spends most weeks researching reasons people should care about Ridley Ribeiro, the fourteenth-degree black belt with a 72-1 record on the regional circuit who'll be facing 49-0 thirteen-time international sambo champion Luka Dončić (no relation) on the prelims of #7 Sean Strickland vs #14 A Coatrack, it's tough even before you get into The Nothing slowly consuming the good parts of the sport and replacing them with right-wing rallies and slap leagues.
Atreyu vs The Nothing had better hype than any card I’ve seen in years.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watch nearly every card, but that's because I don't go out on Saturday evenings much, and I'm the night owl in my house, so I really just hang out at my computer chipping away at whatever other project while I have the fights or whatever other event on a monitor.

Something that i realized today is that fight sports right now are so terrible at promoting that they keep doing these champ vs champ cards, and that I suspect is because they fired their marketing departments and just decide who gets title shots based on google trends. "drat the champ in the division below has like 4x the engagement than the guy who has won 7 fights in a row but is only on the prelims the cross-divisional shot makes the most sense."

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
2023 awards nomination/discussion thread is finally open to talk about stuff in 2023

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022571

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hollandia posted:

I think this has led directly to the Ngannou situation, yeah. Have to prove that the company is a monolith and the individual fighters are disposable.

There are dipshits who believe it. Someone told me that 80 percent of the fighters are disposable. I think that's quite possibly true, but if you think that the giant, photogenic knockout machine heavyweight champion is one of those disposable fighters you're a loving moron.

Not you, obviously, Hollandia, you're delightful.

Stealth Tiger posted:

Who else could do that? Their teammates who are living and training with them? Their coaches who are experienced in the sport? No. Only the world's greatest promoter can do that job.

The world's greatest promoter who can't promote fighters and gets mad if you ask him why he can't and says it's their job, leaving you wondering what his job is.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
gently caress around: oh man I'm going to be such a warrior refusing to tap out to this submission

Find out:
https://twitter.com/ACLrecoveryCLUB/status/1616868297412349952?t=vgVZpiSMGWrupMbZN_8ccg&s=19
https://twitter.com/sportskeedaMMA/status/1614123310421528576?t=VXdxY1NWV4FknP16DoF9aA&s=19

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Lid posted:

gently caress around: oh man I'm going to be such a warrior refusing to tap out to this submission

Find out:
https://twitter.com/ACLrecoveryCLUB/status/1616868297412349952?t=vgVZpiSMGWrupMbZN_8ccg&s=19

WHAT THE gently caress, dude tap, you need to tap!!!!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I have never not clicked anything as much as I am not clicking that.

But I also want to rate it as multiple of Shogun-Randleman…. :thunkgun:

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I don't pay for anything except fight circus because fight circus owns

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

Find out:
Fuckin ouch

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is partly a culture problem in grappling because the ref should 1) be a black belt themselves 2) be impartial 3) be committed enough to the health of the participants that they can go
"Hahahaha nooooo nope nah uh" when they call the match and ignore the idiot's gracie-rear end complaints that they never tapped.

But even if you have 1 and 2 a LOT of people in grappling think it's fine to fight through broken arms and legs when you're going for the gold - they frequently speak about it like it's a virtue.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i clicked on that while watching a basketball game with a buddy and eventually devolved into a horrified laugh and he asked "what was that, butthead" if you need an indication of how hosed up that was

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is partly a culture problem in grappling because the ref should 1) be a black belt themselves 2) be impartial 3) be committed enough to the health of the participants that they can go
"Hahahaha nooooo nope nah uh" when they call the match and ignore the idiot's gracie-rear end complaints that they never tapped.

But even if you have 1 and 2 a LOT of people in grappling think it's fine to fight through broken arms and legs when you're going for the gold - they frequently speak about it like it's a virtue.

I'm not sure if the ref was empowered to stop the fight in that circumstance. Maybe not by rules, definitely not by customs and expectations. There should be room to call for a technical submission when there isn't a loss of consciousness or an obvious broken bone so we can protect the fighters from themselves.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/GBaynduuren/status/1614579230364536834?t=AmNxNwHyC3xrIBW28wELWA&s=19
https://twitter.com/NicoSCMP/status/1615706619198984195?t=CL7Z6l0OFXhFkllRvcpz8Q&s=19

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
he'll be back in there with a replacement leg from a horse and be more powerful than ever

mewse
May 2, 2006

For context in motorcycle accidents people will instinctively put their feet down to balance themselves and their lower legs will get torn clean off

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

I'm legit envious of you guys that still watch all the cards. As is oft repeated, the fight quality is sky high and posting in the gdt with y'all is still good poo poo, but drat it I just don't give much of a poo poo anymore.

Idk about you personally but I kinda cycle through combat sports as I get specifically burned out on their particular brand of negligence. I'm currently back on MMA for a year after like a 8ish year break, I think I cold turkey'd it around the time WEC got absorbed by the UFC.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I watch near enough everything but I'm never watching it live which allows me to skip through all the filler between fights and also allows me not watch an entire card in one sitting if I find I'm not paying attention. It actually makes it a really great sport to follow as I can put on a few fights I missed before bed or while I'm on a lunch break or whatever. I miss out on GDTs and such, but I also am not really experiencing the burnout some here are describing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm too old to gently caress up my sleep cycle for three or four days to watch good fights at 3am nowadays.

I'm absolutely not doing it for poo poo fights.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's a compilation DEEP KICK uploaded of all their KOs in 2022 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1cQZetDMA

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cn15g80PhHb/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

Ok, that was a little funny. The belt-holder responding to Jiri.

e: I'm not going to call him champion, because he's not. he's just a belt-holder

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 25, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Of all the spurious reasons to have a UFC title, beating the poo poo out of a dude to claim a vacant title is not one of them

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's fine to have fun with Jiri's promo work, but I think Hill's wins in the past couple years is above average for LHW to justify a title shot, even if it's for a vacated belt this time.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Jamahal was the best light heavyweight that night, which is why his flat big gold trophy signifies the accomplishment

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Hill's wins are legit, I'm just saying he shouldn't be called "undisputed champion" when in fact he never fought the previous champion, or the champion of Bellator (who has a serious argument for being higher ranked p4p than Hill)

Hill is a title holder.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Just like the winner of Jones vs Gane won't be champion, they will be a title holder.

Its becoming boxing.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
It will soon have to be called the UFTH I guess.

To be real though, Jiri's claim to being champion was beating Glover. Hill did the exact same thing, and his performance against Glover was equally impressive. He didn't finish Glover, but he also didn't take as much damage as Jiri had.

Jiri has never fought nor beaten Hill, and what is more Jiri deliberately relinquished his claim to being champion. Hill is the champion by every reasonable standard except some notion that lineality is the most important factor in a championship.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Lucasar posted:

It will soon have to be called the UFTH I guess.

To be real though, Jiri's claim to being champion was beating Glover. Hill did the exact same thing, and his performance against Glover was equally impressive. He didn't finish Glover, but he also didn't take as much damage as Jiri had.

Jiri has never fought nor beaten Hill, and what is more Jiri deliberately relinquished his claim to being champion. Hill is the champion by every reasonable standard except some notion that lineality is the most important factor in a championship.

Corey Anderson has a win over Glover and Vadim Nemkov beat Anderson so....

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

You can't just pick two guys, one who had the belt recently in the past, and call the winner Undisputed Champion.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Corey Anderson has a win over Glover and Vadim Nemkov beat Anderson so....

Corey Anderson also lost to Gian Villante. Big Gian is MY light heavyweight champion

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You can't just pick two guys, one who had the belt recently in the past, and call the winner Undisputed Champion.

That's right. The only legitimate way is where the current champion decides to go away and do cocaine for three years and then you just pick two guys, one who just lost a title fight, and call the winner Undisputed Champion

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm getting CTE from reading this page

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

:siren: B League Preview! :siren:

ONE Friday Night Fights 2 - Friday, January 28, 2023

Main Card - YouTube

Bantamweight (Muay Thai) - Sangmanee “Million Dollar Baby” PK Saenchai vs Kulabdam “Left Meteorite” Sor.Jor.Piek.U-Thai

Sangmanee is 105-31. He’s the 2012 Lumpinee Stadium Fighter of the Year, the 2012 Rajadamnern Stadium Fighter of the Year, the 2012 Lumpinee Mini Flyweight (105 lbs), 2012 Rajadamnern Light Flyweight (108 lbs), 2012 Rajadamnern Flyweight (112 lbs), and 2013 Rajadamnern Super Flyweight (115 lbs) champion. Whoa!

Kulabdamn is 72-24. He was the 2017 Sports Writers Association of Thailand Fighter of the Year, the 2018 Lumpinee Stadium 135 lbs and 2019 Lumpinee Stadium 140 lbs champion.

A baby vs a meteorite, only in Thailand, baby!

Strawweight (Muay Thai) - Chalamkhao PK Saenchai vs Petchthong Kiatsongrit

These tiny men exist and will attack each other with great ferocity.

Featherweight (Muay Thai) - Avatar Tor.Morsri vs Mohammed Siasarani

Siasarani is also here.

Avatar: The Way of Eight Limbs in full 3-D IMAX, baybee!

Flyweight (Muay Thai) - Sherzod Kabutov vs Nakrob Fairtex

They’s just some lil guys. Some lil fellas

Atomweight (Muay Thai) - Yoddoi Kaewsamrit vs Songchainoi Kiatsongrit

Baby Yoddoi is a blatant cash grab by the marketing team.

Prelim Card - YouTube

140 lbs (Muay Thai) - Yodlekpet “The Punch Destroyer” Or. Pitisak vs Silviu “Hitman” Vitez

Yodlekpet is 84-33, and was the 2015 Rajadamnern 135 lb, 2017 Lumpinee and Rajadamnern 135 lb and 2021 Rajadamnern 140 lb champion.

Vitez is a former European Sport Karate champion.

PUNCH DESTROYER

Bantamweight (Muay Thai) - Pongsiri PK Saenchai vs Ferzan Cicek

Hey Pong Siri, how do I punch a motherfucker’s lights out?

Middleweight - Harry “Kimura” Grech vs Arash Mardani

Grech is 3-0 in MMA, with 2 TKO and 1 submission win, thankfully by kimura.

Mardani is 0-1 in MMA, having lost his pro debut by first round TKO. He does have some boxing (regular and bare knuckle) bouts on his record.

Both guys are listed as heavyweight. Also, I don’t know what a “Harry Grech” is, but it sounds absolutely disgusting.

Flyweight (Muay Thai) - Ayad Albadr vs Elias Ghazali

Hrrmm, sounds like we got some more Nak Muay Farangs out here to stink up the joint at the beginning of the crowd.

Atomweight (Muay Thai) - Marie Ruumet vs Thai-Ngan Le

Hell yes, womens Muay Thai!

Bantamweight - Jakub “The Jeweler” Wayman vs “Rice Champ” Riccardo Catindig-Stagg

Wayman is 1-0 with a first round rear naked choke win back in April.

Catindig-Stagg is 3-1 as an amateur, with 2 triangle chokes to his credit.

I do not trust the Yakub, but a Britsh called “Riccardo Catindig-Stagg”? I trust even less. Honestly, these Friday Fight events should only be Muay Thai bouts.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You absolutely can do that. Hughes-GSP 1 at WW and Aldo-Edgar 2 at FW are both exactly the same situation - a voluntarily vacated belt being fought over by the preceding champion and a top contender.

If lineality is so important Jones is still champ at LHW anyways.

I guess I would understand the objection more if Jiri had been a longtime champ instead of a guy who was hot-shotted to the title in fewer fights than even Alex Pereira and has defended it zero times.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm getting CTE from reading this page

We need a third party to handle titles and rankings!!

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

reeg posted:

That's right. The only legitimate way is where the current champion decides to go away and do cocaine for three years and then you just pick two guys, one who just lost a title fight, and call the winner Undisputed Champion

I kind of think of it as Hill is legit the champion right now, but he has to defend it, ideally against Jiri or someone else before he's the 'undisputed' champ.

Like with Carla Esparza, sure she had the belt briefly but was never the undisputed champ.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

GTO posted:

I kind of think of it as Hill is legit the champion right now, but he has to defend it, ideally against Jiri or someone else before he's the 'undisputed' champ.

Like with Carla Esparza, sure she had the belt briefly but was never the undisputed champ.

Carla was the champ twice! I think that's silly. If you defend the belt you are a better champ but you definitely win the championship by winning a fight for the championship, nonsense interim reigns notwithstanding

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Realistically, Jon Jones hosed the 205-pound title lineage so bad that there hasn't been a 'real' champion since he held it, so you kind of just need to accept it and reset the clock anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
The Carla situation is a bit of an outlier because the first time was the creation of the belt and the second time was a fight where both fighters refused to actually fight, and to make it even weirder somehow both those fights were against the same opponent, she was still champ though. "Undisputed" is just a thing buffer says as part of the announcement, it never seemed like it meant anything to me.

When you're calling for a third party to handle rankings/titles you're not calling for a change to UFC, you're calling for a change to international MMA as a whole (and for it to be more like boxing), I'm not gonna put much thought in to whether or not it's a good idea because it just has exactly 0 chance of ever happening unless all the current MMA organizations dissolve or something, or maybe if an international fighter's union is actually formed, which in itself is also a longshot.

And yeah, this:

Lucasar posted:

If lineality is so important Jones is still champ at LHW anyways.

I guess I would understand the objection more if Jiri had been a longtime champ instead of a guy who was hot-shotted to the title in fewer fights than even Alex Pereira and has defended it zero times.