Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm just razzin, David Lynch is fine. someone had to walk so Kyle Edward Ball could run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lol wtf, is this supposed to be a comedy

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Lynch is arthouse Tim & Eric

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
There's no difference between good comedy and good drama if you do it correctly which is why our nation's most prized actors are funny fat guys that kill it in both

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jaxyon posted:

CGI is used so pervasively and and so mundanely a lot of what you think is practical effect is just cgi that has so been done so well you can't tell

yes and also every effects shot however it was acquired goes through digital compositing anyway, which does a whole range of what's considered 'cg' stuff

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Look its like how the Sex Pistols album isn’t any good but without it you wouldn’t get a bunch of better bands. Sure, David Lynch’s stuff isn’t good, but without him we wouldn’t have Richard Kelly, or that show where Archie has sex

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

People are under a lot of stress right now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

There's no difference between good comedy and good drama if you do it correctly which is why our nation's most prized actors are funny fat guys that kill it in both

https://i.imgur.com/ZGYHuXb.mp4

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Despite both looking like Ps4 games the effect shot s in avatar are good and the effect shots in superhero movies are bad bc Jim is a real rear end filmmaker who cares

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Yeah ultimately it's because Avatar are movies that exist because Jim Cameron had an idea and wanted to see it filmed, and you can't say the same about almost any other modern blockbuster because they're all just IPs being made by studios that would have gotten made with a different director, writer, actors, etc. If any of those people said no

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah ultimately it's because Avatar are movies that exist because Jim Cameron had an idea and wanted to see it filmed, and you can't say the same about almost any other modern blockbuster because they're all just IPs being made by studios that would have gotten made with a different director, writer, actors, etc. If any of those people said no

Cameron has a way of getting obsessed with things, that's for sure. I'm actually kinda surprised he hasn't gotten bored of Avatar and sold it off to some hacks to fund the next thing he wants to do

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

wow I hated that (in the best way)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Antonymous posted:

If you thought you were an 'artsy kid' in the early 2000s idk how david lynch and radiohead weren't a fact of life. it was unavoidable

yeah i used to inflict Eraserhead on my friends because i found the haunting imagery beautiful, but also watching a bunch of fairly normal people with normal interests trying to sit there and engage the movie where a woman starts screaming as a cooked chicken starts squirting was really funny for me, personally

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Cameron has a way of getting obsessed with things, that's for sure. I'm actually kinda surprised he hasn't gotten bored of Avatar and sold it off to some hacks to fund the next thing he wants to do

the man has a maoist vision that needs telling

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Riot Bimbo posted:

yeah i used to inflict Eraserhead on my friends because i found the haunting imagery beautiful, but also watching a bunch of fairly normal people with normal interests trying to sit there and engage the movie where a woman starts screaming as a cooked chicken starts squirting was really funny for me, personally

in high school my friends and i went to one of their houses, each bringing a movie to watch all night. i remember two of them were xXx and holy grail. i brought dr strangelove

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

cmon how can you not love the guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCsqyOaPsP4

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Antonymous posted:

watch movies like you listen to music. you put it on, how do you feel? don't think 'drat why is there an Am chord here. its so unusual. why is the opening of the song so slow'. you're being an rear end in a top hat just listen and vibe. It's someone's self expression. if you don't like it that's ok maybe you don't like jazz

I was just thinking about something like this the other day. I'm not really a big Jazz guy (and I don't know if it really counts as jazz tbh) but my spotify playlist threw up this instrumental cover of Dirt in the Ground by Tom Waits and it just grabbed me. I think part of it too was that I just had music on for background noise so I wasn't really listening with my, I don't know, my mental defenses up or whatever.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

fits my needs posted:

i dont "get" david lynch. what am i doing wrong

You’re not taken in by bullshit. Take it as a sign of a strong mind.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Look its like how the Sex Pistols album isn’t any good but without it you wouldn’t get a bunch of better bands. Sure, David Lynch’s stuff isn’t good, but without him we wouldn’t have Richard Kelly, or that show where Archie has sex

Never Mind the Bollocks is amazing. Genuinely good pop songs played by underrated musicians and produced and engineered by people who took their jobs seriously.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

sorta like bob dylan people think lynch is some impenetrable capita a Artist but for the most part he’s a very talented goofball imo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

sorta like bob dylan people think lynch is some impenetrable capita a Artist but for the most part he’s a very talented goofball imo

Picasso liked titties a lot and god bless him for it

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

So does lynch

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Dr. Killjoy posted:

wondering if Roiland could survive by retreating to the more reactionary online alternative media spaces (like the good ole days) or if him being a literal groomer is too on the nose

Nichael posted:

100% going to happen

through mulling over the potentialities no matter how absurd we can force reality to match them. the question is, how to do so for the better?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

tarantino is just lynch without the surreal stuff. cheeseburger conversation between killers is right out of twin peaks

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I can't imagine Roiland being that desperate but I would love to see him do a horrible show with the daily wire that all these guys have to pretend to like

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Durf posted:

Lynch is arthouse Tim & Eric

true

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

through mulling over the potentialities no matter how absurd we can force reality to match them. the question is, how to do so for the better?

you can't, life can only get worse in our capitalist hell

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

picasso is just african art but depicting White People, By White People. Van Gough same but japanese art. Warhol same but corporate art.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGP0t4gTa3g

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was not expecting so much of Nanette to be just be about how much Hannah Gadsby hates Picasso but I end up thinking about it whenever Picasso is mentioned to me, probably because the only culture I've seen in years and years featuring him is that and Midnight in Paris

Nanette is bad btw and the only reason you should watch it is the reason I watched it (someone is making you watch it)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

he stole the titties too

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

taking an existing tradition an recontextualizing it is genius tho. it works good.

like eminem or elvis basically. once a white guy does it,

edit: give white people a way to see themselves in The Other's art

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Elvis "he's white" scene but it's art critics talking about Picasso

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

picasso painted this when he was 15. no one cared. I think he's also a sadist and top 10 most evil men who have ever lived. I read his wiki once.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

Never Mind the Bollocks is amazing. Genuinely good pop songs played by underrated musicians and produced and engineered by people who took their jobs seriously.

I don’t love it as much as i once did but it was def hugely important for my musical development as a kid and Steve Jones & Paul Cook are a really good guitar/drums team. The supergroup they have with Paul Simonon and Ray Winstone in Ladies and Gentlemen the Fabulous Stains whips rear end.

PiL is still better.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

josh04 posted:

yes and also every effects shot however it was acquired goes through digital compositing anyway, which does a whole range of what's considered 'cg' stuff

Yeah if you can tell a shot is CGI(when it's not something that obviously can't exist), its usually because the effects house wasn't given enough time

if you have a good schedule it should be essentially flawless if you're working with most top tier places

but lol at having enough time

loquacius posted:

Nanette is bad btw and the only reason you should watch it is the reason I watched it (someone is making you watch it)

a wrong and bad opinion

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah, and then he put it back on throughout production by stress-eating bread and cheese.

King Kong though.. yeah. It wasn't great. I think that was the start of Jackson going all George Lucas and getting more into the technology than the filmmaking
which is probably why he's not making films now

I'd have sympathy for PJ having no time to do prepro on Hobbit movies if he didn't also sell out the unions

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

A lot of VFX artist have talked about why the CGI is trash in so many (MCU) blockbuster movies despite the enormous budgets and it comes down to the directors just not caring/knowing what they're doing. A good director will sit down with them ahead of time and outline exactly what the scene is about, what they want to see, preferably with good storyboards, and check in periodically to make sure it looks like what they envisioned, to avoid major last-minute adjustments that are both expensive and require a lot of work from the animators.

Bad directors on the other hand will give vague instructions about what they want, and once the scene is like 95% done will ask for major adjustments making them start from scratch, leading to stress, burnout, forced overtime etc etc, and also making the end product look like poo poo

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

true, CGI has a better chance if the shot is actually filmed with the CGI elements already figured out. its insane that the clothing in the marvel films are CGI. they look good cause there was a good understanding and research done into how to achieve the desired effect before principle photography

edit: i never saw these movies and watching on youtube now 4 years later - meh. still looks like a videogame. but I remember buying it when I saw these things were CGI the first time that was in the news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Z4J66uyIk

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 02:15 on Jan 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

actual good CGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di4Byf1EzRE