Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jay Rust posted:

I ask because I booted up signalis for a bit, picked up a keycard in a room, then a bit later i tried a door and it just unlocked itself with the keycard without asking me and tbh I was kind of p*ssed off

But then I thought, wait maybe this is good?? I should ask the gamers

If it makes sense for the character to just pull it out of their pocket and try it, then there shouldn't be player input. You don't need to direct the character to put one foot in front of the other, they should have some logical agency.

In your example, if character picks up a keycard and comes to a locked door that requires a keycard, it's reasonable they would at least try the card on said door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Saint Freak posted:

My character should karate kick the door open splintering it into a million pieces. The key should then be stuck in my inventory, undroppable, for all of time.

Puzzle game where 90% of the solutions is your character breaking the puzzle in a fit of rage.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

I'm a materialist and relativist, which is why I play based games such as open-pvp MMOs

then it seems we are diametrically opposed. you can say "up yours, woke moralist" if you want, i won't mind

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Saint Freak posted:

My character should karate kick the door open splintering it into a million pieces. The key should then be stuck in my inventory, undroppable, for all of time.

Angerfoot

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Angerfoot loving rules

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/merrittk/status/1618105054451609602?s=46&t=-lBxKN4UBjJKHBlJPGMNvA

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/velnumdes/status/1617764064868073472?t=zphYXZE7YIwDslubP5TJOw&s=19

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The way I can think of this happening is if the developer of the Matrix game (Path of Neo?) also helped make Drakengard.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Kerrzhe posted:

then it seems we are diametrically opposed. you can say "up yours, woke moralist" if you want, i won't mind

I think being a materialist is woke

Lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Turns out "The Day Before" was a scam

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Mr Hootington posted:

Turns out "The Day Before" was a scam

"We just need to change the name. This should take approximately 9 months."

It was always a scam.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, like it actually looks kinda sick but this is like out of nowhere lol

This happened for Ghostwire: Tokyo too which was also made by Tangoworks so maybe it's just their thing? Just random games with no connection thematically or gameplay wise that they just suddenly have appear.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Btw my rear end is getting kicked by tri strat again

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Holy poo poo this rules

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Jay Rust posted:

sounds like a skill issue

unless it's THAT map, in which case you are right, it exists to make you feel bad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Evil Kit posted:

This happened for Ghostwire: Tokyo too which was also made by Tangoworks so maybe it's just their thing? Just random games with no connection thematically or gameplay wise that they just suddenly have appear.

I mean, Ghostwire was at least at an E3

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

sounds like a skill issue

unless it's THAT map, in which case you are right, it exists to make you feel bad.

Please tell me which map

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think keys should be like they are in Resident Evil 2, where somehow after you unlock the last door that key was for, you somehow just know that you'll never need to use it again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jerusalem posted:

I think keys should be like they are in Resident Evil 2, where somehow after you unlock the last door that key was for, you somehow just know that you'll never need to use it again.

This feature owned.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I decided I wanted to play Forspoken but brain won't let me dump 70 bucks for a game, in my mind, 60 is already 10 extra bucks although I don't know if history ever supported my idea that new videogames should always cost fifty dollars. Still, only times I bought 70 dollar games is when they launched for slightly less than 60 bucks so it just felt like paying normal price. For a game to cost 70 bucks it better come with a carton of eggs. Guessing the negative reception will mean large discounts relatively soon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There should be a secret if you keep one of the keys after it says to throw it away, no indication which one.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I decided I wanted to play Forspoken but brain won't let me dump 70 bucks for a game, in my mind, 60 is already 10 extra bucks although I don't know if history ever supported my idea that new videogames should always cost fifty dollars. Still, only times I bought 70 dollar games is when they launched for slightly less than 60 bucks so it just felt like paying normal price. For a game to cost 70 bucks it better come with a carton of eggs. Guessing the negative reception will mean large discounts relatively soon.

callisto protocol got a 20% cut on steam like two months after launch, so holding onto your bills for now might be the play

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Vermain posted:

callisto protocol got a 20% cut on steam like two months after launch, so holding onto your bills for now might be the play

from the sounds of it it won't be too long before Forspoken also lands in the Steam equivalent of the bargain bin

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah I'll just wait, always a bit short in january after holidays. demo was a good idea though, because I already played it a bit and made some level-up and crafting choices I kind of have an open file in my mind. might backfire when i do buy the game on discount and its XX hours before I get back to where my baseline was, nothing I did in demo felt "middle of the game," coulda been the starting tutorial zone for all the context I had.

last game i played with a demo I bought, Supraland. Maybe I'm just susceptible to demonish tactics but I think companies who already on the level of marketing budgets rivaling or exceeding dev budgets should spring for a demo, I can't be the only one who might be hooked even after an underwhelming sample.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 26, 2023

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
2 hours in forspoken starts feeling like a real video game.

The intro is pretty bad, but seems like it might be neat

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The intro seems okay until the Cuff starts talking. Don’t really care for its voice

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
sounded like off brand stephen merchant

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gahmah posted:

2 hours in forspoken starts feeling like a real video game.

The intro is pretty bad, but seems like it might be neat

Yeah, it's cool and good. Like a lot of games these days it's worth it to do a full audit of the options menu because a lot of crap is on by default: minimize cuff voice, auto pick-up items, a billion control and difficulty modifiers. I also flipped off trigger effect because it felt awful.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you always gotta check the options menu first because some fricked up weirdo might've decided subtitles should be off by default and that y axis camera shouldn't be inverted as god intended

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i always forget which one is inverted and which one is not, but i like the one thats good

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

y axis camera shouldn't be inverted as god intended

:hai:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, Ghostwire was at least at an E3

Was it? I didn't know, I don't follow E3 at all outside whatever super major announcements people won't stop talking about. TIL

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 26, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaius Marius posted:

There should be a secret if you keep one of the keys after it says to throw it away, no indication which one.

I uhhh... I may very well have kept all my ticked items in the storage box JUST in case this happened :sweatdrop:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Looper posted:

you always gotta check the options menu first because some fricked up weirdo might've decided subtitles should be off by default and that y axis camera shouldn't be inverted as god intended

more just that every game wants to start in some weird exclusive mode instead of normal w borderless idgi

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Jay Rust posted:

maybe you should try a square strat instead, or even a hexagonal strategy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

watched horror movie 'a wounded fawn' tonight. it was dope

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i always turn off subtitles

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

haha what posted:

i always forget which one is inverted and which one is not, but i like the one thats good

some games, like the old ratchets, complicate things further by inverting the meaning of inverted

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

i always turn off subtitles

i'm scared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

I ask because I booted up signalis for a bit, picked up a keycard in a room, then a bit later i tried a door and it just unlocked itself with the keycard without asking me and tbh I was kind of p*ssed off

But then I thought, wait maybe this is good?? I should ask the gamers

when you interact with the door the game should be like "use the orange keycard? y/n?"
or at least have a little textbox saying "you used the orange keycard".
basically just copy the darksouls series

having locked doors just instantly open with no prompt or indication that you even unlocked them is a bit weird