Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Asterite34 posted:

Nero and Weiss showing up in the DLC is excusable, because it exists explicitly because someone thought "Man, did the main FF7 crew ever get a kickass boss fight with these characters? I bet we could make kickass boss fights with these guys if we massage the canon a little."

And you know what? They were right

I think the best aid for Nero (not so much Weiss) is that his main scene partner is Yuffie, who is pretty much genetically incapable of taking this 2000s edgelord poo poo seriously, which makes it way more palatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I think the best aid for Nero (not so much Weiss) is that his main scene partner is Yuffie, who is pretty much genetically incapable of taking this 2000s edgelord poo poo seriously, which makes it way more palatable.

Oh, that's a good way of looking at it. Throwing the Tsviets at the Remark incarnations of the FF7 main cast would be a good way to deal with them because Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Aerith and Red XIII would also have less than zero shits to give for that clown car of chuckefucks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kheldarn posted:

Just remember that Final Fantasy Adventure isn't actually a Final Fantasy game, but is Seiken Densetsu 1, i.e. Secret Of Mana 1. So we'll need Pixel Remasters of the Mana series, too!

I know but it still counts. :colbert:

Robotrek deserves a remake as well.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically the original timeline of the FF7Verse goes like this: Before Crisis > Crisis Core > Last Order > Final Fantasy VII > On the Way to a Smile > Advent Children > Dirge of Cerberus > Nothing because Dirge killed the franchise for a decade until Remake happened.

New timeline is: The First Soldier (lol) > Before Crisis...? > Crisis Core: Reunion > Remake > Rebith > Reconsider Your Life Choices, Please

Technically Crisis Core killed it, Dirge came out first.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

Robotrek, now that was a ride of a snes jrpg.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
They should try remaking the mana games to actually be good. I say this as someone who loved Secret of Mana as a child.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bentacos posted:

They should try remaking the mana games to actually be good. I say this as someone who loved Secret of Mana as a child.

Trials Of Mana was good

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

bentacos posted:

Secret of Mana's 3D version is fine, but the 2D version is better (emulator).

Trials of Mana remake is perfect, no notes.

Legend of Mana had a HD re-release relatively recently and it's perfect, no notes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nero and Weiss were cool boss fights and isn’t that all that matters?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Little late to the iconic scene/music chat of FFVII, but YouTube just recommended this video of a streamer getting rocked by the music in his first play through of a 25-year-old game:

https://youtu.be/tOF7_gIzfIU

I feel the same, and I’ve played through that scene quite a few times.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm gonna bet Part 2 or 3 will reveal those shadow voices thingies are Lufenians and it will get tied into this franchise thingy where Cloud and company end up ditching the whole Meteor thing to get crystals, which they will then use to fight Chaos or whatever with Sephiroth's help.

I really get the vibes that SoP is part of a plan to really unify the different games into one universe even more tightly than something like Dissidia. Hell, it might be a catch-all for common questions, like maybe Necron is a Lufenian. Hell, 4TAY's final boss being a Lufenian would work surprisingly well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Sorry if that seems too rambling, I got exposed to Sin's toxins.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

one of the best musical moments in FF7 is sadly only in the PS1 version, at the end of the final nibelheim flashback the music used to swell to fit with the scene and it's just so perfect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih7s1e55tZI&t=1157s

in the newer versions it just plays the reactor theme over that part, because the cutscenes are timed differently and the music can't sync up anymore

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

jokes posted:

SOLDIERs are, to a man, totally insane. That doesn't necessarily mean they're bad people though, they're just clearly insane. Roche, for example, likes to go fast. Sephiroth wasn't insane, that's why he was so widely revered, but it turns out he was just hiding it. Zack was insane, but it manifested as being stupid and fearless which also made people like him, like a puppy or something.

I think the archaic "mad" fits better than "insane".

Evil Fluffy posted:

gently caress YES.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 26, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jokes posted:

SOLDIERs are, to a man, totally insane. That doesn't necessarily mean they're bad people though, they're just clearly insane. Roche, for example, likes to go fast. Sephiroth wasn't insane, that's why he was so widely revered, but it turns out he was just hiding it. Zack was insane, but it manifested as being stupid and fearless which also made people like him, like a puppy or something.

What about Kunsel or the other SOLDIER guy who (unlike Kunsel) is a fake friend.

I like how there's one side quest where Zack actively makes this one SOLDIER guy become insane. Like he starts out planning on quitting*, but Zack causes his entire personality to change so much he basically loses his mind.

* It's kind of weird that this is a thing. Seems like Shinra might hesitate to let random superpowered soldiers leave.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mega64 posted:

I'm gonna bet Part 2 or 3 will reveal those shadow voices thingies are Lufenians and it will get tied into this franchise thingy where Cloud and company end up ditching the whole Meteor thing to get crystals, which they will then use to fight Chaos or whatever with Sephiroth's help.

I really get the vibes that SoP is part of a plan to really unify the different games into one universe even more tightly than something like Dissidia. Hell, it might be a catch-all for common questions, like maybe Necron is a Lufenian. Hell, 4TAY's final boss being a Lufenian would work surprisingly well.

FFIV: lunarians are lufenians trying to escape lufenian bullshit. An omega weapon destroyed their first refuge so they went to the moon to hide and eventually hide amongst the humans.

FFV: lufenians realizing chaos and negative thought were related so they tried out stuffing all negative thought in the tree. Hilarity ensues.

FFVI: warring triad are lufenians, their war released chaos and they stuck themselves in the triangle to trap it. Here comes the clown!

Too easy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I really doubt SoP is gonna be the center of the FF cinematic universe.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Bullshit! Now let me leave dramatically

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean, Jack Garland DOES make a good Tony Stark

✔️ Surly rear end in a top hat
✔️ Addiction issues
✔️ Many cool sickass armors
✔️ Head of a team of badasses
✔️ Quips and poo poo
✔️ Has no chill for pompous lore villains
✔️ Gaggle of colorful friends and supporting characters
✔️ Listens to loud obnoxious setting-inappropriate music for no reason

Tell me where I'm wrong?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Bullshit! Now let me leave dramatically

*Limp Bizkit intensifies*

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Gilgaverse is out

Jackaverse is in

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I really doubt SoP is

so did everyone about every aspect of it until now, and yet

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This franchise could be greatly improved by Jack Garland going form game to game, taking one look at whatever character he comes across, calling them a pussy, and then walking away from them in disgust blasting Smack My Bitch Up by The Prodigy on his AirPods.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mega64 posted:

it's not it's literally just Dissidia.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

so did everyone about every aspect of it until now, and yet

Don't put me in with all the fools and losers that thought it would be bad.

I always had faith

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Even I knew it wouldn't be bad, I just wish it had literally any other protagonist.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

What about Kunsel or the other SOLDIER guy who (unlike Kunsel) is a fake friend.

I like how there's one side quest where Zack actively makes this one SOLDIER guy become insane. Like he starts out planning on quitting*, but Zack causes his entire personality to change so much he basically loses his mind.

* It's kind of weird that this is a thing. Seems like Shinra might hesitate to let random superpowered soldiers leave.

With everything else Shinra does, quitting SOLDIER probably means more of a demotion to science experiment or a severance package of an unmarked grave.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

they seemingly don't care all that much, there's a dude in junon in the original who talks about being a retired SOLDIER

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
roche being a 3rd class is a bit weird considering that the rest of the series treats anything below 1st class as slightly better than the average trooper. i wouldn't be surprised if we learn he's got 1st class skills but he's such an utter headcase that it keeps him from getting promoted

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

roche being a 3rd class is a bit weird considering that the rest of the series treats anything below 1st class as slightly better than the average trooper. i wouldn't be surprised if we learn he's got 1st class skills but he's such an utter headcase that it keeps him from getting promoted

So he's Seifer?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like at this point "oh boy I can't wait to see this thing from the original recreated" is setting yourself up for disappointment after VIIR1 spent all that time hammering on how things are going to be different this time

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think its going to have a similar vibe to the first remake game but they'll no longer be using ghosts to justify changes. They will just happen instead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think its going to have a similar vibe to the first remake game but they'll no longer be using ghosts to justify changes. They will just happen instead.

I'm planting my flag in the idea that Aerith is going to survive the City of the Ancients, but the cost of her actually living this time is going to be so high you'll wish she hadn't.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

they seemingly don't care all that much, there's a dude in junon in the original who talks about being a retired SOLDIER

I feel like the series is sort of unclear on what sort of "supersoldier" SOLDIERs are. In most contexts they just seem to maybe be "people with slightly better reflexes who might be like 10-20% stronger than a fit person." But then you have them leap 20 feet into the air. Or on the other extreme, the scene where Cloud is hanging from the Shinra building and can't lift his body weight up with one arm, something that a normal person who is very fit could do.

Granted, we only ever see a couple SOLDIERs do really outlandish stuff who haven't had special experiments done on them. The Big Three of Angeal/Genesis/Sephiroth were all exceptions, and the same goes for Cloud as of FF7. I think only pre-Hojo Zack and Roche are seen to do crazy feats as "normal" SOLDIERs.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm planting my flag in the idea that Aerith is going to survive the City of the Ancients, but the cost of her actually living this time is going to be so high you'll wish she hadn't.

She survives City of the Ancients, but the universe starts Final Destination-ing her.

She’s finally taken out by the return of the Palmer truck.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Augus posted:

one of the best musical moments in FF7 is sadly only in the PS1 version, at the end of the final nibelheim flashback the music used to swell to fit with the scene and it's just so perfect

in the newer versions it just plays the reactor theme over that part, because the cutscenes are timed differently and the music can't sync up anymore

Wow, I didn't know that. That sucks. It was a prime example of just how well directed scenes in VII were.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

She survives City of the Ancients, but the universe starts Final Destination-ing her.

She’s finally taken out by the return of the Palmer truck.

gently caress I hope that truck is in Rebirth. I'm gonna be so pissed if it isn't.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

I forget, aren't those cloaked Reunion guys ex-SOLDIERs? I'm pretty sure that's the official retirement plan, being some sick homeless guy Shinra just sorta discards. The Remake seems to follow that at least, the President talking about "cellular degeneration" or somesuch

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Augus posted:

Is there any particular reason the cutscene timing was messed with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
What really impressed me with FF7 is the cast dynamics. Aerith is so important to the core cast because everyone else is so broken that they would never be able to stick together and focused towards their objective without her help. Then after she dies they have to figure things out to regroup. I hope the remake is able to capture that but I admit it will be much more difficult without the abstraction provided by early PS1 graphics.