Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ookiimarukochan posted:

There's a genuine issue with lovely localisations because (a) anime/manga/game translation/localisation pays gently caress all compared to anything comparable so you tend to get the bottom of the barrel "talents" involved and (b) a lot of these people are failed comedians/writers who want to inject their material into projects that they think are of no artistic value but the CHUDs making this a "culture issue" means that when you point out obvious gently caress-ups you end up being labelled as a right wing crazy.

And not so much a thing nowadays but you also sometimes get suits demanding something be translated in a completely inappropriate demographic/tone to what the actual work is, so you sometimes end up with the One Piece debacle where they tried to turn a DBZ-level show into one for 6-12 year olds and quickly ended up having to butcher it.

Also the translations near universally take out all the LBGTQ+ characters and themes, not add them in. Card Captor Sakura anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Overminty posted:

Worked with Bellingcat right? Probably something to do with that

Clearly this makes Oz worse than Hitler by a comfortable margin.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

OwlFancier posted:

I really want to know what "real call of duty" is because most of the ones I played did not have multiplayer and I don't think this guy seems very interested in any other parts.

Which Call of Duty games did you play that didn't have multiplayer?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oz Katerji is the one who sees assadists in every shadow

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Silly Newbie posted:

Which Call of Duty games did you play that didn't have multiplayer?

I don't recall that cod 1 had online multiplayer on console because I don't remember if that was a thing that existed when it came out, certainly it wasn't the focus of 1 or 2 or the in between ones, only really kicked off with modern warfare in something approximating the current conception of a multiplayer focused fps.

So yeah the earlier ones "had multiplayer" but I would not suggest they had the globally competitive ranked thing that currently constitutes cod multiplayer, that was a cod 4 thing.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Jan 26, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
COD1's multiplayer was about the last game I played online. Just kinda realized I don't like playing with Internet randos all that much and never went back until PUBG piqued my interest briefly.

Are Call of Duty games popular on console? I think it would be agony using a controller in a first person shooter.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

credburn posted:

Are Call of Duty games popular on console? I think it would be agony using a controller in a first person shooter.

The age of controllers being bad for shootmans has long passed, Modern Warfare 2019 sold like 30m units in about a year. Something like 1m people play Warzone daily. Hell, even the COD Mobile game has ludicrous playercounts.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
My point was there have been 19 call of duty games for PC/console, and all but the first three had multiplayer as a main focus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Silly Newbie posted:

My point was there have been 19 call of duty games for PC/console, and all but the first three had multiplayer as a main focus.

Yeah and I stopped playing after those.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Which ones didn't have multiplayer, though?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OwlFancier posted:

Okay, but that was 20 years and several console generations ago.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

credburn posted:

Are Call of Duty games popular on console?

I'm not much of a gamer and I thought I was pretty out of touch but this post makes me feel a little better.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

I'm mad about the world of warcraft

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OwlFancier posted:

I don’t play many games (despite having a stupid brain that means I still buy consoles) but man that first Call of Duty game on PC where you parachute in was a game changer for me. The scripted first player stuff felt amazing. Then it became MP focused and it lost that feel that you were in the middle of a real war. I get why it became stupid popular, but it lost me too.

And good to see that Corpsegrinder apologized for his words, it’s kinda a shame that the wiki entry about him doesn’t include that as you could just assume he never changed his mind about things.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Odds this guy complains about CENSORSHIP whenever something he likes is removed from a game?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Read After Burning posted:

As an example, there's a trans woman (or at least she is in the localized version, not sure how her character identified in the original Japanese game) in AI: The Somnium Files. If I remember right, the protagonist is worried his younger sibling will act strangely towards her, with a response something like "Hey, I think anyone who can be who they truly are, even if everyone else is against them, is brave".

Now, most people in this thread, you'd be like "Hey, for an anime game in 2019, that's fairly well done". People elsewhere FLIPPED THEIR poo poo about how the Western localizers shoved in the "Trans agenda", ruining the original Japanese vision, etc.

Except....

https://twitter.com/DrCullenPHD/status/1174150265043210240

Possibly as a reaction to those reactions, the sequel had a similar scene, but it goes on for about two minutes with the subtlety of a metal baseball bat, just to make it absolutely and undeniably clear that, yes, this is the author's opinion. The mental image of these people clicking through that as it just keeps going is wonderful.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

credburn posted:

The games almost aim themselves these days if you play with controller.

vvv you're not even 40 yet.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 10:45 on Jan 26, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah it rules if you’re old and struggle to tell the grey and brown shootmen apart from their grey and brown surroundings.

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

This guy is a new Elon Musk Twitter enabled type of guy, I've seen them a bunch recently. Basically you buy twitter blue and start saying stupid poo poo like this but because you gave Mr Apartheid Emeralds 8 dollars you appear at the top of searches and replies to other people's posts. His retweets and favourite numbers are trash and no one would have seen these posts except for this.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

credburn posted:

Are Call of Duty games popular on console?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lmao missed this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Literal millions of people buy consoles solely for Call of Duty and maybe Madden

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

credburn posted:

Literally literally all big-name games are made primarily for home computer video game consoles. IBM PC -compatible versions are an afterthought. If a Brand-Name game (series) isn't popular on consoles, they will shitcan it altogether.

e: A number I just pulled out of my bumhole says that about 3/4 of game sales come from consoles, and people who buy games for consoles actually play them, unlike people who buy games on Steam.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm trying to think of a triple A game that wasn't available on consoles in the last decade, and I can't.

Seriously, what's the biggest game that you can't play on a console?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Skwirl posted:

I'm trying to think of a triple A game that wasn't available on consoles in the last decade, and I can't.

Seriously, what's the biggest game that you can't play on a console?

Counter-Strike, I guess?

e: Roblox!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Total war Warhammer series

[Insert current popular Korean mmo here]

I was gonna list football manager which is still huge, but apparently that does actually get a console release these days.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I prefer consoles because I know any given release will work on it, while a pc needs constant upgrading to keep up with constantly shifting requirements.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

goblin week posted:

Counter-Strike, I guess?

Isn't that free? (Lol if it isn't.)

BioEnchanted posted:

I prefer consoles because I know any given release will work on it, while a pc needs constant upgrading to keep up with constantly shifting requirements.

Yes this is why about 100% of people who play computer games, play them on consoles. (Also the fact that they don't own a general purpose computer at all.)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

World of Warcraft

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

World of Warcraft

(Latest fad)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Most of what I've read over the years showed PC game sales vs console converging, with engagement ahead in some genres and behind in others.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

(Latest fad)
It's still chugging along. I guess there's also Ark and Minecraft which are massively popular while being PC-first.

e: Roblox

SCheeseman has a new favorite as of 12:11 on Jan 26, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I honestly think that issue is overblown, pc requirements surge up in waves.
The main thing to know is there is usually a biggish jump in pc requirements just as when a new console cycle gets in full swing, as game developers target those as their base during development.

The main benefit of consoles used to be you put the disc in and the game just worked, that hasn't been true for a while now though as the disc is more just the format the license key comes on now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

credburn posted:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: A number I just pulled out of my bumhole says that about 3/4 of game sales come from consoles, and people who buy games for consoles actually play them, unlike people who buy games on Steam.

The most recent calladoody did ~11% of its total sales on PC and was the highest grossing game of the year despite launching in October.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

World of Warcraft

People who weren't born yet when that came out are legally allowed to vote. I meant recently.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Skwirl posted:

People who weren't born yet when that came out are legally allowed to vote. I meant recently.

It's a service game. The Call of Duty franchise has been around for quite a while too.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the MOBAs, cursed be their names

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Half-Life Alyx?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

It's still chugging along. I guess there's also Ark and Minecraft which are massively popular while being PC-first.

Oh that one was just a joke.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

arsenicCatnip posted:

Half-Life Alyx?

More of a weird anomaly. Valve made it because they thought it would be cool, it never had a chance of making it's money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

The main benefit of consoles used to be you put the disc in and the game just worked, that hasn't been true for a while now though as the disc is more just the format the license key comes on now.

Yeah but the barrier is still only “you have to wait for it to download” vs “this might work flawlessly or it might not work at all or literally anything in between depending on your setup, godspeed PC gamer” so that’s not really a huge downgrade in the grand scheme of things.