Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

8th ms team has the thing were two characters meet for like 3 -5 hours total and then decide that they are madly in love and completely change their worldviews based on this limited interaction. It's lovely lazy writing that I despise. It becomes such a central part of the story later on that it becomes impossible to ignore.

Shiro went from a decent character prior to the whole mountain range with Aina to his character going down the cliff, with him actively endangering his teammates just because he doesn't want to kill zeon due to him having a thing for one zeon soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

At least Terry gets his cameo in the 0083 Rebellion manga.

Terry is the only one is seems to be acknowledged by any other media that I can tell.

ninjewtsu posted:

also isn't there technically a zeta gundam thing in the same timeline as the origin made by a different dude?

Are we talking about MSG Zeta the movie retelling that significantly changed pieces of the story most notably the ending? I'm not sure which version Sunrise considers "canon" but that is another property that falls under its not really AU but it doesn't seem like a "canon" UC story.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zeta A New Translation does not have anything to do with The Origin, and it's generally considered non-canon since the changes it makes to the ending basically mean ZZ can't happen

But also canon is a fake concept made up by the pope to sell bibles so whatever

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I know writers who use canon and they're cowards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only canon I support is the Guncanon

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Supremezero posted:

The winning philosophy behind Thunderbolt.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ninjewtsu is talking about Zeta Define I think

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Supremezero posted:

"There’s a lot of sepia flashbacks of a cellist being gunned down. The episodes were running up to eight minutes under. The only way to stretch them out was with sepia flashbacks of a cellist being gunned down. And we tried to keep the sepia flashbacks of a cellist being gunned down away from the dialogue as much as possible. Anything without dialogue was considered for sepia flashbacks of a cellist being gunned down."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Monaghan posted:

8th ms team has the thing were two characters meet for like 3 -5 hours total and then decide that they are madly in love and completely change their worldviews based on this limited interaction. It's lovely lazy writing that I despise. It becomes such a central part of the story later on that it becomes impossible to ignore.

It's literally Romeo and Juliet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Romeo and Juliet were teenagers

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I did like how Shiro just get loving maimed at the end, losing a leg and I think an arm.

I think the heel turn of falling in love would've made more sense if they were newtypes because that's a thing they do, but the show explicitly moved itself away from the space magic aspect of the franchise.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Romeo and Juliet were teenagers

They're also very dumb and impetuous, because see above

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's literally Romeo and Juliet.

Romeo and Juliet had two families who didn't like each other, they weren't involved in an enormous war with half the population of earth dying. Romeo and Juliet weren't conscripted and trained soldiers. Hell Romeo didn't see a massive war crime being committed right in front of him by Juliet's family.

Anyway, Romeo and Juliet has a lot of other themes going for it along with the prose of Shakespeare. So I can forgive Romeo and Juliet for having that plot point. the latter half of the 8th ms team does not have those things going for it.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 25, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kojima sighing and mournfully declaring that "we're no better than they are" because Ryer was going full warhawk on the Zekes does not make for a moral equivalence akin to the Montague/Capulet feud.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Monaghan posted:

Romeo and Juliet had two families who didn't like each other, they weren't involved in an enormous war with half the population of earth dying. Romeo and Juliet weren't conscripted and trained soldiers. Hell Romeo didn't see a massive war crime being committed right in front of him by Juliet's family.

The show creates an incongruity based on that almost immediately, because when Shiro and Aina both retreat to the shell of a destroyed ship after they take each other's units out, they start independently checking out the ship and Shiro has Aina in his sights and ready to draw down on this enemy soldier he just fought; only he then sees that the enemy soldier is bleeding, and immediately rushes in to help. He doesn't do it because it's a woman or anything either. He isn't aware of her gender by that point. He just wants to help someone he sees is hurt, even over their objections once he tries. Which seems really loving out of place once you get his flashback to seeing the people of a colony basically melt in front of his face due to Zeon's gassing a few episodes later.

It'd be one thing if the show's Romeo & Juliet plot had them start out hating, or even distrusting each other. Romeo in this case just jumps straight to wanting to help Juliet for no apparent reason though, even though he has every reason to hate her. The show backs off on the relationship for a few episodes, but there's really not far to fall for Shiro to decide he's in love with Aina after that first episode. They might as well be Newtypes for all the difference it makes. poo poo, at least if they were Newtypes then it'd give a cause for the suddenness of the relationship.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You get more Shakespeare from lady Prospera.

I want a Gundam take on Falstaff and Hal

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

The show creates an incongruity based on that almost immediately, because when Shiro and Aina both retreat to the shell of a destroyed ship after they take each other's units out, they start independently checking out the ship and Shiro has Aina in his sights and ready to draw down on this enemy soldier he just fought; only he then sees that the enemy soldier is bleeding, and immediately rushes in to help. He doesn't do it because it's a woman or anything either. He isn't aware of her gender by that point. He just wants to help someone he sees is hurt, even over their objections once he tries. Which seems really loving out of place once you get his flashback to seeing the people of a colony basically melt in front of his face due to Zeon's gassing a few episodes later.

It'd be one thing if the show's Romeo & Juliet plot had them start out hating, or even distrusting each other. Romeo in this case just jumps straight to wanting to help Juliet for no apparent reason though, even though he has every reason to hate her. The show backs off on the relationship for a few episodes, but there's really not far to fall for Shiro to decide he's in love with Aina after that first episode. They might as well be Newtypes for all the difference it makes. poo poo, at least if they were Newtypes then it'd give a cause for the suddenness of the relationship.

See, the thing there for me is that there's an obvious character beat for Shiro available in having him be naturally "above" the war. That is, his native empathy is so strong that, even when he feels like it's what he morally should do, he can't bring himself to hate the enemy. You can get some good mileage from that, both in him inspiring people to be better, and in him having trouble doing what's actually necessary. (Depending on where you want the show's morality to fall, you could even have his conflict with Ginias climax with a line like "So. This is what hate feels like. ...I can see why it's so popular these days.") He's helping Aina because he wants to help people, and being the enemy is irrelevant.

But by having him talk about how he wants vengeance, everything feels absurd.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shiro is wildly inconsistent from episode to episode. It's love at first site with Aina, then he manages to bungle his first deployment and goes "oh gently caress yeah sweet" while watching Kiki bathe. Some episodes he's a decent commander. Other episodes he's "he wants me to retreat time to attack AAAAAAAARGHDFHFHSSHFH!!!!" Sometimes he hates, sometimes he's a pacifist who would make Banagher tell him to grow a pair.

He's not all that great of a protagonist. He's not as actively stupid as someone like Kou but that's not a very high bar to clear.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hey, at least Kou has a better romance with an enemy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

Hey, at least Kou has a better romance with an enemy.

Wouldn't you? Kelly is a hunk.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Shiro is wildly inconsistent from episode to episode. It's love at first site with Aina, then he manages to bungle his first deployment and goes "oh gently caress yeah sweet" while watching Kiki bathe. Some episodes he's a decent commander. Other episodes he's "he wants me to retreat time to attack AAAAAAAARGHDFHFHSSHFH!!!!" Sometimes he hates, sometimes he's a pacifist who would make Banagher tell him to grow a pair.

He's not all that great of a protagonist. He's not as actively stupid as someone like Kou but that's not a very high bar to clear.

Kou's extra frustrating since, in episode 1, he seems like he's going to be okay. He leans into the mech nerd thing, his friendship with Keith sets up a good dynamic, he and Nina are obviously going to have a Sam and Diane thing...

But then he doesn't really keep it together going forward, and Nina's arc crashes in incomprehensible ways, and the potential is wasted.

Say what you well about Banagher (I have, more than once) but he at least feels consistant.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've done enough slagging off 08th MS Team so I'll say something nice about it. It has probably the best soundtrack of any of the 90s shows besides Turn A. "VII" is one hell of a boss battle theme. It's a show where the soundtrack is just as good or better than the OP and ED, just quality throughout.

Also the best eyecatch music.

0083 has fantastic OP and ED songs but a kinda middling OST (Back To Paradise is still good though) and War in the Pocket's music sounds a bit too "80s PSA announcement" at times. Fantastic ED though, really heartbreaking.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 25, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/charasoon_ken/status/1618278739129028611?s=46&t=-lBxKN4UBjJKHBlJPGMNvA

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That char has been on the bench press with that chest.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The thing about 08th MS Team that really gets me is thinking about how it's an OVA. On the one hand, its inconsistencies could be smoothed over by watching it over a longer time, but I feel like so many episodes would be unsatisfying to be left waiting for months until you get more. I guess it's hard for someone from the west who got into anime in the late 2000s to really get into the 90s OVA buying headspace, though.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

1st Stage Midboss posted:

The thing about 08th MS Team that really gets me is thinking about how it's an OVA. On the one hand, its inconsistencies could be smoothed over by watching it over a longer time, but I feel like so many episodes would be unsatisfying to be left waiting for months until you get more. I guess it's hard for someone from the west who got into anime in the late 2000s to really get into the 90s OVA buying headspace, though.

Unicorn was released like that. The episodes were definitely uneven and not all worth the asking price ($40 per I think?)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
08th MS team was also plagued by a director change, just like 0083 and Gundam Wing and you can feel the sudden shift in all 3.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am watching F91 to break in the new condo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's great

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vigna Ghina

When Quattro Vaginas just aren't enough, so you get twenty instead.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Here's how I fix 08th MS Team:

Cut Aina and Shiro entirely. Karen is our protagonist instead of getting jobbed at the drop of a hat. They keep getting new officers and none of 'em lasts longer than an episode. They have no loving idea who Norris is, but they finally work out their dysfunctions and take him down after he kills their latest Sleggar-y ace officer. The team is deployed as part of the attack on the Apsalus but it actually gets destroyed by a Federation ace. Let's say, oh, Sayla. The last episode is about how the teams' lives end up after the war. Keep that bonus episode where the officer-of-the-episode throws Michel off a bridge to take down an enemy ace, though.

The 08th OP is still my favorite in the franchise. That's some good 90's anime opener right there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Loving the vibe of there not being enough time to naturally explore the themes so everyone has to say the themes out loud

E: Oh my god Iron Mask is SO loving STUPID I adore him

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 26, 2023

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

F91 I'd so weird in that you can tell the exact moment when poo poo went off the rails. Everything after the f91s first fight is a mess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu/status/1618443745791299585?s=20&t=pascrujHljykJ8K71ARS7Q

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh wait is that the end lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monaghan posted:

F91 I'd so weird in that you can tell the exact moment when poo poo went off the rails. Everything after the f91s first fight is a mess.

Mobile Suit Breakdown is almost done with its F91 series, including a couple episodes about just how off the rails things got.

Apparently, there was juicy interpersonal drama involved.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's like the Barbatos hosed a throne, a truly regrettable design.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Monaghan posted:

Yeah, that's probably when they ran out of the 13 episodes they had written and were just going off outlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

tsob posted:

The first episode ends with Gihren's speech playing, but it's also worth bearing in mind that Shiro joins the "08th" mobile suit team, which implies there are at least 7 others and that those others pre-exist his team by at least a bit. The exact timing on that isn't readily apparent, but it's obviously not just a couple of days or one or two prototype machines being fielded if there are multiple organized teams being fielded to the front lines. Sunrise have established them as first starting up in June or July of UC0079 if I recall, but that could change again if someone else decided to add some new stuff.

The Ball's production date has presumably been pushed back too, because despite being more primitive looking than the GM (or even the Guntank, really), the Ball was actually originally rolled out after the GM according to the original show, because the GM at least first saw use on Earth where the Ball is a space only use platform and was designed to be a cheap stop gap unit to compliment the GM's power and help fill out Federation ranks once they started pushing back against Zeon in space; which didn't happen in the original show until Solomon. I believe at least episode of MS IGLOO shows some Balls in use a bit earlier, but I'm not sure what the exact history of the Ball is at the moment.

My even hotter take is that the Gouf Custom fight isn't very good, and I think does a disservice to almost everyone involved. The only person it kind of makes look good is Norris himself, but it does so by making the entire 08th MS Team themselves look like incompetent idiots who've never been in a fight before. Shiro, the main character who rushed into battle against a Zaku/Dom hybrid with a loving Ball and actually destroyed the Zaku/Dom hybrid and who's been pretty calm under pressure throughout the show basically shits himself in fear when he sees the Gouf can lift a section of fallen bridge. Which, why would that be what instills fear when his own unit should be capable of that and more and the capacity to do so should be pretty well established given mobile suits are derived from worker units in the first place? Shiro fires his main gun at the Gouf with his eyes closed he's so panicked, and then a few seconds later when he's regained some composure he first every weapon he has at once at a unit directly in front of him and manages to hit everything around the Gouf but not land one bullet on the Gouf itself.

When Karen spots the Gouf atop the tower she fires exactly one shot at it, and then apparently just stands there watching slack jawed as Norris walks around the tower for several seconds before dropping down onto the first Guntank rather than following up in any way after missing. Sanders approaches the Gouf with literally no weapons out at one point, as if he's going to...I don't know, talk it down? The fight itself undermines the characterization of basically everyone in order to prop up Norris. The Gundam franchise as a whole is often seen as almost diefying "aces" and acting as if they're magical beings striding around a battlefield and untouchable by the common soldier, which is usually traced back to the original show but I'd say that 08th MS Team itself is one of the worst entries in that regard because everyone's reaction to Norris is "Oh no, an ACE!", as if Norris is a completely different class of pilot who they have no hope of defeating individually.

Which brings another point: the Gouf Custom fight is basically the climax of the show as a team battle. It's explicitly set up to be a battle where they need to fight as a team to defeat a single enemy because he's too good for any of them individually. It should be the test of the group after building them up throughout the show through adversity. It even starts out like it means to do that, with Shiro instructing Eleador to take command because they need to rely on his sensors in a built up urban area like the fight takes place in with no good visibility. Then that means nothing, Eleador's command amounts to "he's over there" once and there's no team work of note in the actual fight. During which they not only fail to achieve their objective, but, more criminally given this fight should be a show of what the cast can achieve by coming together since it's the final fight against a singularly strong enemy where the entire team is involved, the actual fight really just comes down to Shiro and Norris dueling 1 v 1. The rest of the team might as well not exist for half the fight, because it's just Shiro and Norris dueling.

After that fight the only thing left is the Apsalus, which Shiro fights with Aina instead of the 08th team and which makes sense for him to do, because that unit represents the obstacles between their relationship as well as the rest of the team just not being there physically to help. The team are there during the Gouf Custom fight though, and they should work together to overcome. Instead, Shiro just beats Norris on his own using some gumption after initially acting like a panicked chicken. The fight is all flash and no bang, and I don't even think the flash is particularly impressive after seeing more Gundam stuff because the units are so slow and there's so much talking to interrupt the flow of the battle.

But you don't just get it, Norris is an ace and the 08th Team are just regular pilots because an Ace is just so much better!

Edit: but real talk, Gundam, Universal Century Gundam and all its sidestories and spinoffs, has a very large problem with being very fascist adjacent and drawing from pro-fascist or "We took nazi memoirs they wrote to get NATO jobs at face value" viewpoints and histories of WW2.

While this can be seen in lots of things, such as the Federation being essentially an amalgamation of fascist complaints about Western Democracies, Fascist Racism and Propaganda against the West and the Soviet Union, and Japanese Propaganda and racism against China, Korea, and the United States, and postwar criticisms of Japan being an ally of the US; or the repeated idea that Zeon and Zeon Remnants are better at war because of their <insert fascist term here> while the Federation and its soldiers "Don't believe in things"- I think one way it shows up is if you look at Gundam's deification of Ace Pilots.

We never see talk of Federation Ace Pilots. There's nothing like "Man because of the lack of trained pilots on Zeon's side, so many Federation Pilots became Aces in a Day at A Baoa Qu". What we do get, instead, is Zeon Aces raking up more mobile suit kills in the last months of the One Year War than Nazi German pilots racked up in aircraft and ground targets killed during the many years of the Eastern Front of WW2- while the Luftwaffe pilots were hoped up on Meth and flying multiple sorties a day, and its still generally accepted that these kill numbers are vastly overstated because They love their propaganda.

I'm not saying that Gundam is Fascist- just that Tomino was writing with a certain worldview and a certain inherently flawed historiography of WW2 to base the One Year War on.

I mean I will say that 0083 and 08th MS Team and Unicorn are pretty goddamned fashy, though. Also Code Fairy has Zeon idols praying at the wreckage of the Hidolfr, so.

Edit Edit: I actually think that someone did the math, and the official combined MS Kill Count from every Zeon Ace in the OYW actually comes out to two times the total amount of Mobile Suits that the Federation made in the OYW.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 26, 2023