Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I do not know what sparked this, but my bet would be that the opportunity to buy office 2021, 2023 or 2025 in a number of years for a similar amount of money will still exist. Unless I missed some big news. If you have access to 365 in the mean time at no additional cost, there doesn't seem to be a need to buy right now at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I know from work you can still buy fully working 2019 licences if you're that worried about missing out on vintage software

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ynglaur posted:

I'm sure none of this ever causes any problems, either.

Absolutely not. We also have customers who refuse to upgrade their MASSIVE SERVERS THAT ARE RUNNING IMPORTANT SOFTWARE higher than 4gb of RAM.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

astral posted:

I know hospital/medical IT is traditionally bad, but come on.

I think they're rolling out windows 10 to the last stragglers these days - they did our last machines a few months ago. From 7, so they probably scraped in just under very last deadline for extended extended support.

I live on the separate research network, so they may actually have upgraded to something less ancient since last time I needed office on a hospital machine; I'll see if I can remote in and check. (Their Citrix solution is not 100% reliable - though it is up to date.)

e:
:toot:
They have upgraded to Office 2016.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 14, 2023

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thank goodness.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

astral posted:

Thank goodness.

I upgraded a researcher from 2007 to 2010 in 2022; 2010 is still the latest version they make available to us there. Of course, the only OS image they support on the researcher network is Windows 7, which is making it hard to find supported hardware.

On the other hand we're allowed to buy and connect arbitrary hardware running whatever we want, since there is supposed to be no sensitive information on that network and they filter internet traffic. (Which means the people who want office buy a single license or a 365 subscription for their own money and get it refunded by the department).

The two official alternatives for a bioinformatics researcher writing linux software are "a mostly neglected network where we get nothing but can in practice connect and install most things" and "strictly locked down Windows 10 on a nominally supported and updated AD domain". Github is blocked on both, though, so most of us use the visitor/patient wifi to actually get work done.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 14, 2023

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Medullah posted:

Absolutely not. We also have customers who refuse to upgrade their MASSIVE SERVERS THAT ARE RUNNING IMPORTANT SOFTWARE higher than 4gb of RAM.

This reminds me of the time a client insisted their application's poor performance couldn't possibly be solved by better hardware because "It's running on a server. " I had to point out that my laptop was significantly more powerful than their server.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I had to move my WSL Ubuntu install to a new drive because it was getting real big. That worked fine for the most part. WSL2, Win11 22H2

wsl --export Ubuntu ubuntu.tar
wsl --unregister Ubuntu
wsl --import Ubuntu Ubuntu ubuntu.tar

Then ubuntu config --default-user myuser

Problem is now, that network share \\wsl.localhost, it has a share for Ubuntu but it no longer works. How do I update this to work with Ubuntu in its new location? I cant seem to find the right words to google it.

Edit: I'm an idiot, turning it off and on again worked. But I'd still be interested in hearing how this works if anyone can tell me, just to know more about it

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 15, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
OK this is my problem and I think this thread is maybe the place to ask?

I use two PCs with two screens, but one mouse and keyboard, I use Mouse without Borders to share keyboard and mouse between the two. I used some other software years ago but found this one seemed to work better.

Recently however if I use RPD to access another computer, then I cannot use the keyboard on the 2nd PC, I can use the mouse just fine, moving between the remote screen on my left monitor and typing in the remote session there just fine. I can move the mouse over to the right screen but I cannot type anything there until I minimize the RDP session from full screen to a window.

This is annoying.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

His Divine Shadow posted:

OK this is my problem and I think this thread is maybe the place to ask?

I use two PCs with two screens, but one mouse and keyboard, I use Mouse without Borders to share keyboard and mouse between the two. I used some other software years ago but found this one seemed to work better.

Recently however if I use RPD to access another computer, then I cannot use the keyboard on the 2nd PC, I can use the mouse just fine, moving between the remote screen on my left monitor and typing in the remote session there just fine. I can move the mouse over to the right screen but I cannot type anything there until I minimize the RDP session from full screen to a window.

This is annoying.

But this is pretty much working as expected -- fullscreening the RD window traps the keyboard. Moving the mouse over to the 2nd PC doesn't unlock the keyboard from RD. If you had one PC with 2 screens it would be similar.

You could try starting the remote desktop session from the 2nd PC? (Or switch which one has the keyboard.) Then the PC with the keyboard attached is never having it trapped.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Then I wonder why it worked before, until I had to generate a new key for mouse without borders, that's when the trouble started. Had the same setup for years.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

This might be more of a Steam question, but is it possible to run a batch file before you run a game from Steam? I use Nvidia filters with the game Dead By Daylight and annoyingly the filters will become corrupted and stop being available until I delete a certain temp file folder. I've tested manually deleting the folder before I run the game and everything works fine, so ideall I'd like to run a batch file every time before I play the game that deletes the files. Anyone ever done that?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Steam thread might be of more help, but yes, there is a way - https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/aig4q6/is_there_a_launch_option_command_to_run_a_program/

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

This isn’t really a Windows question, but this is the closest thread I could find..

My father in law needs to swap his aging 1tb spinning drive for an SSD (while retaining everything/keeping it bootable), and after hearing how much a shop quoted him to do the job I’ve talked myself into it. I’d be happy doing this for myself on my own time, but I need to do it within a weekend visit on the other side of the country, so won’t have a spare computer/all my usual nerd stuff with me.

tl;dr: What’s the simplest way these days to clone a boot drive, ideally from something I can flash to a pen drive to boot from and do the job? I trust the goon hive mind of recommendations far more than Google for this kind of thing. Free would be great as it’s basically a one-off job.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Froist posted:

This isn’t really a Windows question, but this is the closest thread I could find..

My father in law needs to swap his aging 1tb spinning drive for an SSD (while retaining everything/keeping it bootable), and after hearing how much a shop quoted him to do the job I’ve talked myself into it. I’d be happy doing this for myself on my own time, but I need to do it within a weekend visit on the other side of the country, so won’t have a spare computer/all my usual nerd stuff with me.

tl;dr: What’s the simplest way these days to clone a boot drive, ideally from something I can flash to a pen drive to boot from and do the job? I trust the goon hive mind of recommendations far more than Google for this kind of thing. Free would be great as it’s basically a one-off job.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree don't even need to make a boot stick. Just install and clone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
One of the ways I use my 2-in-1s is scribbling stuff on PDFs of books and papers and Drawboard PDF works pretty well for that. But sometimes i can't fit everything neatly on the existing page and I need more space.

Right now I just have OneNote open to the side which is fine in the moment but difficult to keep organized and synced. The other option is inserting a blank page in the PDF and using two-page view, so that one page on the screen is content and the second is blank. That works if I need to insert it after page on the left, then the page on the right is empty. But if I need a blank page after the one on the right, it's inserted on the next screen of course, which isn't helpful.

Does something like this exist already? Basically it'd be something like a OneNote page linked to page in a PDF and it'll keep synchronized as you open documents, scroll around, etc.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Macrium is amazing, but seems to no longer have their free version, only a trial. But that will do the trick for you, I used it last week.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

codo27 posted:

Macrium is amazing, but seems to no longer have their free version, only a trial. But that will do the trick for you, I used it last week.

? I'm running the free version on all 3 of my computers

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

? I'm running the free version on all 3 of my computers

I did get a notice when I upgraded just now that the free version is EOL next year. Not certain if it will stop functioning, but no more updates at least.

But, in the meantime at least, it is still on the site.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I did get a notice when I upgraded just now that the free version is EOL next year. Not certain if it will stop functioning, but no more updates at least.

But, in the meantime at least, it is still on the site.

Ah that sucks. Guess I never noticed since I always click update later heh

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MikusR posted:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree don't even need to make a boot stick. Just install and clone.

codo27 posted:

Thanks! I would’ve expected to not have the OS running while cloning it, but if that’ll work then it makes things even easier.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Here's a "simple" and annoying one: I use the Ease of Access text cursor (the little arrows above and below the text cursor) on my work computer for the sake of, well, ease of access. This works fine in 90% of software we use, and used to work for 100%... but as of about a week ago it's completely stopped working in Excel (365 for Enterprise)'s formula bar. Thanks to the other software I work in relying on it, almost all of my work is done in Excel, largely in the formula bar.

I've had half a dozen restarts in the interim, tried disabling and reenabling it, and checked for any other settings that might affect it, either OS side or in Excel (and found none). Is this just a known recent issue? Zero search results on the subject, and it's making editing complex cells a pain.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have IT roll your Office apps back a version and raise a support ticket with Microsoft, and then suspend auto-updates on your PC until the issue is verified as resolved.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Thanks Ants posted:

Have IT roll your Office apps back a version and raise a support ticket with Microsoft, and then suspend auto-updates on your PC until the issue is verified as resolved.

I will have to admit I laughed out loud at this one.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
This may not be the right thread for this but I guess it can't hurt. I have about 430 images I want to enlarge using an AI algorithm as the results I have seen look great (4x or even better 8x). Is there a way to do this for free, installing something on my PC? Making use of one of those many sites that offer such a service would cost me 20-30 dollars and I am afraid they won't let me unsubscribe easily. Thank you! Alternatively I am willing to spend money on software I would own (as opposed to subscribe to for a limited time).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

This may not be the right thread for this but I guess it can't hurt. I have about 430 images I want to enlarge using an AI algorithm as the results I have seen look great (4x or even better 8x). Is there a way to do this for free, installing something on my PC? Making use of one of those many sites that offer such a service would cost me 20-30 dollars and I am afraid they won't let me unsubscribe easily. Thank you! Alternatively I am willing to spend money on software I would own (as opposed to subscribe to for a limited time).

Haven't used it myself but this seems free? https://soft.vanceai.com/?source=product&page=image-enlarger&medium=banner&date=20221123

But given my preference for FOSS (shut up I know this is the Windows thread) then this looks like it could suit your needs https://github.com/upscayl/upscayl

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Looks like it, but they're just hiding their credit-based system a little better than others. :-)

quote:

But given my preference for FOSS (shut up I know this is the Windows thread) then this looks like it could suit your needs https://github.com/upscayl/upscayl
Hey, this is great and works well (on windows too). And such a fast answer too! Thank you kindly, Tesseraction! :horse:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you decide to spend money I dropped $100 on Topaz labs upscaler thing and it worked great: https://www.topazlabs.com/shop

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

powderific posted:

If you decide to spend money I dropped $100 on Topaz labs upscaler thing and it worked great: https://www.topazlabs.com/shop
Thanks, but "Upscaly" is perfect for me. I'll keep that in mind though.

Uno Venova
Jan 19, 2020
Where is the thread from the guy who sells Windows and Office keys? Can someone link it I can't find it

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SA-Mart.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Uno Venova posted:

Where is the thread from the guy who sells Windows and Office keys? Can someone link it I can't find it

There are a couple in SA-Mart, actually. In my experience, they've offered particularly great service/support.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

jokes posted:

There are a couple in SA-Mart, actually. In my experience, they've offered particularly great service/support.

LodgeNorth is where I’ve bought both my keys, Win 7 both times; one upgraded to Win10 and one Win11. I got both keys within minutes, too.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I don't have a thread link but https://www.lodgenorth.com/

I have bought like four windows 7 keys from him, which have arrived within 20 minutes and all worked on windows 10

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
So... where are they getting those cheap keys from? Its always felt a little sketchy to me tbh

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pvt. Parts posted:

So... where are they getting those cheap keys from? Its always felt a little sketchy to me tbh

Tossed OEM keys.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

BrainDance posted:

Tossed OEM keys.

Ninja edit:
Was gonna say this…my b-i-l works IT for a large company and they throw new keys on machines all the time. Some keys wander off, as well as OEM keys that aren’t used but (like my two Win7 keys) “count” towards an in-place upgrade. Microsoft doesn’t really (seem to) care much.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pvt. Parts posted:

I am reasonably certain they are "not for resale" keys from enterprise volume programs. They are sketchy in that
a) the guys selling them could get in big legal trouble (civil, not criminal)
b) Microsoft could decide to deactivate every key that was purchased through them at any time

But they are not sketchy in terms of you, the purchaser, getting in any legal trouble*. Only being out your $15.
*not legal advice. may not apply if you are a small business and the BSA comes calling. consult your doctor to see if greymarket keys are right for you

They're not recycled OEM keys from old scrapped PCs. Old scrapped PCs don't come with Office keys, and Win10 keys live in the BIOS not on a sticker. If they were OEM keys from recycled PCs they'd be perfectly legal in the EU. OTOH back when recycled OEM keys were a thing the guys selling them were well known for selling the same keys multiple times.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

It depends on where they come from. I've bought a few Win7 keys from ebay and they literally sent me OEM stickers.

Lodge North and crew, I'm not sure what they're selling, but they work so I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i'm using a key from lodge north and it is indeed from a volume license, you can check with "slmgr /dli"