Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i attempted one of the tower of trials battles

the "Recommended" difficulty setting was 27, so i set it down a couple notches to make it a little easier

every unit on my side was dead by turn 4 :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tae posted:

What exactly are you supposed to do against enemies that can't be moved and parked on an unbreak tile? Just spam draconic hex and hope for the best?

Can't you break staff? I know that works on generals.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I need to remember to actually check enemy inventories thoroughly before hitting start, fuckin' Chapter 19 absolutely bodied me when one boss rescue warped the other boss from across the planet right to my front line, where she proceeded to AOE the lot.

Thank the lord for Corrin and Dragon Vein on miasma maps.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

King Hyacinth Bucket

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

'Alcryst' is 'Crystal' backwards

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Concurred posted:

this is unironically true in japanese

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Vander's kinda an rear end in a top hat for a dude that can't get one level up in 7 maps

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Einander posted:

I do understand why they didn't use a Conquest map for Corrin's Paralogue, but come on, Conquest 10! Would've been amazing. Byleth's was fun, at least.

Panette should get Lyn. Go mow down some random enemies and lose at least 1 HP to activate her personal and gain Speedtaker stacks, then send her at anything that really needs to die and use Alacrity to double them from complete safety. You can't get the +Spd and Speedtaker and Alacrity all at once when you only have two inherit slots, so she's got to get the actual ring. Inheriting Wrath is totally an option, though.

There's vague information from the datamine that seems to imply Conquest 10 is going to be Camilla's DLC map. Which, you know, does make sense.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tired Moritz posted:

Vander's kinda an rear end in a top hat for a dude that can't get one level up in 7 maps

He's dead for me. Boomer out to pasture.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Barreft posted:

Diamant hasn't left my party since I got him. he's a goddamn monster along with Kagetsu and Yunaka
i knew he was strong, but i've only just realized how goddamn tanky diamant is

he's 5 points off of louis' defense score... but not only do Ike's weapons all have their own innate +def buffs, but he also gets +def skills AND the buff from great aether. Combine that with Sol healing him (and, with a Crit weapon + Wrath, Sol basically always heals him to full health) and he cannot loving die.

oh, and in contrast to Louis, he has 22 speed and 6 move.

the only thing louis has over him is the fact that he can get broken by enemy attacks. But considering the enemy loves to try and break you, even if they only do 1 damage doing it, that might be a good thing?

BigOwlGuyBMJ
Dec 13, 2022

Tae posted:

What exactly are you supposed to do against enemies that can't be moved and parked on an unbreak tile? Just spam draconic hex and hope for the best?

Doesn't break staff bypass that?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just got my first master seal (I'm playing slow) and learned that if I want multi-weapon promotions I shouldn't have been pairing rings with the thematically-appropriate options. Ah well, I'll tankify Louis and figure out the rest from here.

I think if I could make one change to the series it would be to make growths visible somewhere in-game. The one bit of info I feel I'm missing for working out "how do I want to build these people" on my own, and when I go online there's such a flood of other info I get overwhelmed and fall into minmax optimization habits.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
lmao, I set up my formation to take Lucina down the next turn but then Yunaka, the mysterious wanderer, gets killed because I miscalculated. I see my turn start, hit + to rewind time, get confused why it isn't working before I see Diamant use Great Aether. He kills the boss and the battle ends with high fives all around.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Haha Louis and Sigurd. Now this is dumb.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

JBP posted:

Haha Louis and Sigurd. Now this is dumb.

Ah you figured it out as well

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Concurred posted:

brodians are named after rocks, elusians are named after plants (usually flowers), solmics are named after food

firene are named after fashion lines

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

jesus christ marni is awful. Hold Out+ is loving broken on a boss.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
4 Hounds are colour based.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really love the map design in this game, it’s really varied and each chapter feels really carefully constructed to encourage different strategies

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Quick question. What’s the difference between the two different English language subs? Is it just using the heathen British spellings with their extra letter U’s or is it more?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

galagazombie posted:

Quick question. What’s the difference between the two different English language subs? Is it just using the heathen British spellings with their extra letter U’s or is it more?

There's an entirely new voice cast it sounds something like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hqE2ycXxCw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it just seems like british spellings and a few tweaks in terms of things like food, or american sayings that dont exist in the uk/viceversa.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I really wasn't expecting the ballistas in Leif's paralogue to be so drat mean. 54 attack (on Hard) to go with that 100% accuracy is a bit much! Did give me an excuse to actually use my Warp staves, though, and I managed to get all the items. The Mage Knight squad at the end was comical mostly because horse mages don't get Mystical any more, so Yunaka attracted most of them while sitting on a forest and killed all the ones without Thoron, while Alear used Corrin's ice walls to slow down the others so I could pick them off at leisure.

Having Yunaka be able to throw up the fog machine on her own would be great, but being able to use both those and the ice walls and sometimes even the +3 DEF/RES rocks is incredible. Alear's a top five unit so it's a shame to be using her for support, but with Corrin she's very good support.

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's vague information from the datamine that seems to imply Conquest 10 is going to be Camilla's DLC map. Which, you know, does make sense.

Oh, excellent. That'll be a good time!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

do we know the other DLC maps?

Interested to see what they'll do with Veronica. Will they actually use an original map from FE heroes, or what? Maybe stitch a few together?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
About what I expected, though a part of me was hoping it was something like a more direct translation for non native speakers or something. Because while the Japanese dub is mediocre, the English dub is godawful. It’s bad, really really bad. Etie sounds like shes 40 and recorded from home. And while I can’t speak a word of Japanese I’ve watched/played enough bad anime and games for it to get real distracting that the text at the bottom is very obviously not what the characters are actually saying.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Future DLC spoiler related.

If there's a map that Veronica is heavily associated with it's the final map for the first Tempest Trials in the game, which was absolutely brutal relative to the strength of your units at the time.

If they're drawing a map from that game I think that would do.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

boredsatellite posted:

Ah you figured it out as well

I was concerned about incoming mages and then ran over three of them like a steam train.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Endorph posted:

do we know the other DLC maps?

Interested to see what they'll do with Veronica. Will they actually use an original map from FE heroes, or what? Maybe stitch a few together?

It'll be that loving map with the two bridges and bow/mage cavalier with brave weapons

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Would love for them to give you max deployment slots on one of those tiny heroes maps so everyone is just tripping over one another.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Just got my first master seal (I'm playing slow) and learned that if I want multi-weapon promotions I shouldn't have been pairing rings with the thematically-appropriate options. Ah well, I'll tankify Louis and figure out the rest from here.

You can use the Arena emblem mode to easily get links up to levels that provide those proficiencies, and it doesn't cost too many crystals, either.

Also, don't be me and do collect the bond crystals for achievements!

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

galagazombie posted:

About what I expected, though a part of me was hoping it was something like a more direct translation for non native speakers or something. Because while the Japanese dub is mediocre, the English dub is godawful. It’s bad, really really bad. Etie sounds like shes 40 and recorded from home. And while I can’t speak a word of Japanese I’ve watched/played enough bad anime and games for it to get real distracting that the text at the bottom is very obviously not what the characters are actually saying.

lmao feels like I'm reading a post from mid-00s GameFAQs. The dub is good, op

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The english voices are good. What's the issue?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's some performances in the dub that are pretty off (alfred), and i think the tl leans a bit too much into a goofy/juvenile direction, but 'i dont know japanese at all but it makes me mad when the english text doesnt exactly match the five/six words i know' is moronic. basic sentence structure differs between the two languages. even the most literal possible translation is going to have words in different places.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dubs a lot better than I expected tbh. Pretty good actually even if Amber and Alfred both sound like they deserve to be shoved in some lockers.

Anyway, still really early in the game (Chapter 10) but man Yunaka's supports feel like a cut above the rest. A lot of the supports so far are just characters bouncing off each other. The game is nowhere as thick on the gimmicks as say Awakening can be but it's still fairly surface level stuff. Just good times with the gang becoming better friends, kinda shallow. But all of Yunaka's so far have felt like they're actually trying to hint at some deeper parts of the character and explore her history. It's very good!

Hoping i've just been getting some of the lighter supports and there's some more interesting ones out there. Although I guess the Alcryst crew's support chains have also been pretty good at exploring the characters even if Alcryst being a downer kinda hurts them.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

As of Chapter 10, Yunaka is my MVP by a country mile.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Alfred's alright though it really does sound like his voice go from generic dude to nerdy twink at any moment

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The dub is fine given the material the VA's have to work with. I can't really think of a particular character who I outright hate in like, the same way I could not stand the high wispy thing Mercedes' VA tried to do in 3H. It also has some straight up just really good performances like Laura Post's Yunaka.

Can't really comment on the quality of the TL outside of what's been posted itt by people who actually understand Japanese. From what I understand some stuff is kinda not translated great and a bunch of seemingly innocuous romantic dialogue has been excised, but on the other hand they also thankfully stopped the player from being allowed to marry the 11 year old so, you know, I'd say it probably evens out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like as a rando example here's rosado and goldmary's c support, since it's extremely simple in concept.

ENGLISH

quote:

Rosado: Hey, Goldmary! Could you teach me how to cook?
Goldmary: I could, but why the sudden interest?
Rosado: I've been thinking...
Rosado: When it comes to cuteness, I'm obviously miles ahead of you.
Goldmary: Excuse me?
Rosado: But you're still better than me at a lot of things. And cooking is one of your many talents.
Rosado: So I figure, if I really want to compete with you, I should learn. How hard could it be?
Goldmary: Sorry, but I'm still not past the part where you said you're miles ahead of me in cuteness.
Rosado: Really? Well, we can come back to that another day.
Rosado: The important thing is I want to learn to cook, and I want you to teach me. What do you say?
Goldmary: Not the most flattering way to ask for a favor.
Goldmary: But since we're friends... All right. I'll teach you.
Rosado: Yes! Thanks, Goldmary!
Rosado: Soon I'll be adorable and multitalented!
Goldmary: I suppose we'll see..

JP support with an extremely literal translation

quote:

Rosado: Hey, Goldmary. Could you teach me how to cook?
Goldmary: It's not important, but... what happened all of a sudden?
Rosado: I was thinking...
Rosado: If it's me and Goldmary... of course, I'm cuter than you, right?
Goldmary: Of course...?
Rosado: But Goldmary is good at cooking. She'd win because of that.
Rosado: That's not good. I need to be able to cook, too.
Goldmary: Uhm, I'm sorry, but... I'm cuter than you...
Rosado: Yeah, yeah, sure. We'll accept that. For now.
Rosado: Anyway, I want you to teach me how to cook! I'm begging you!
Goldmary: I can't believe the attitude of the person trying to ask me for a favor...
Goldmary: However, it's still a friend's request... I'll tell you a few things.
Rosado: Yeah! Thanks, Goldmary!
Rosado: With this, I'll beat Goldmary in cuteness and cooking skills!
Goldmary: Hmm... is that how this works...

As you can see barring maybe two lines (Goldmary's 'I'm cuter than you' is still implied by her 'I can't get over you saying you're cuter than me,') and the final line from Rosado directly saying he wants to beat Goldmary versus the final line in Eng being more him just wanting to be better in general, these two supports are basically the same. But the structure of the sentences is pretty different.

In general I'd say this support is basically emblematic (heh) of the TL. It's basically the same thing but they massage the conflict a tiny bit in a way that makes it slightly less funny, probably to make the characters seem less 'mean.' But they're so similar it's still hard to complain too much. Barring the obvious intentional changes, that's about where I'm at with the TL as a whole.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Shits coming out of the front doors of the horse jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Alfred's alright though it really does sound like his voice go from generic dude to nerdy twink at any moment

Alfred left a pretty nothing first impression but i've come around on the guy. Shame about the VA but he's a pretty fun dude. Wish he'd get more speed though but alas.