Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The eagle having a mullet is just :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Slavvy posted:

The eagle having a mullet is just :kiss:

yeah! with a goblin like that it’s hard to see the US losing ww3…

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
but Russian goblin has some skills

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the real tragedy of ww3 is the inevitability of goblin on goblin combat

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
They love explosions though, I’m just happy for them.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
wait i thought it was orcs where did the goblins come from

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Centrist Committee posted:

wait i thought it was orcs where did the goblins come from

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw, yeah I believe Russian tanks have NV equipment and more and more seem to have thermals as they get modernized also they have had ammo that could penetrate Abrams tanks since the early 1980s. The Iraqis had neither.

Also, the Ukrainians had some old T-72s in reserve they brought out that may not actually have NV equipment and only partial reactive armor but they could at least still penetrate most other modern tanks.

------

As far as nationalism and orthodoxy, Putin is a right-wing liberal, it really isn't a secret.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

How can the USA's goblin erotica stand up against our enemies when we can't even read at night?? If it's too dark to fly F35's, it's too dark to read.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

he’s making a romantic appeal to the past to justify an invasion. that’s a Revolutionary Romanticism.

Sure but that's not autocracy.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

neither Russia nor Ukraine is the US fuckin take it to the other thread you simps

The USA cannot lose WW3 on it's own. Probably.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

The USA cannot lose WW3 on it's own. Probably.

Eh, if it is against China

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:26 on Jan 26, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Fish of hemp posted:

Because attacking is hard and right now battles are taking place in areas that Russia has occupied 8 years and has had the time to make defensive positions. I don't what superweapons you are referring to. To me they seem to be fighting with regular weapons that every army uses.

Do you think that well known corruption in the Russian army hasn't had any impact to their capabilities, such as night vision and modern anti armor ammunition?

that is the opposite of what is happening

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Megamissen posted:

that is the opposite of what is happening

I mean I guess you could say to a limited extent around Donetsk city up near Horlivka but even then the Ukrainians have been defensive on that front, otherwise the Russians generally seem to be pushing in new areas at the moment.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Turtle Watch posted:

In order not to tread on ground already covered in the Ukraine thread I now declare this The Goblin Zone. Post ur fave gobbos everyone

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
Grotsky

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

Fish of hemp posted:

Because attacking is hard and right now battles are taking place in areas that Russia has occupied 8 years and has had the time to make defensive positions. I don't what superweapons you are referring to. To me they seem to be fighting with regular weapons that every army uses.

Do you think that well known corruption in the Russian army hasn't had any impact to their capabilities, such as night vision and modern anti armor ammunition?

you should try finding a different subject around which to base your personality. funkos or somehting maybe, i dunno

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Best Friends posted:

I think it’s two lovely right wing corrupt countries fighting, OP, with the resulting obvious implications for their armies. armies which do seem capable of killing each other.
Look buddy, you have to like either Russia or Ukraine. You can't just say they are both bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

usaf is doing iran bombing practice today with the idf as a provocation.
not ww3 but still a war america will lose

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

usaf is doing iran bombing practice today with the idf as a provocation.
not ww3 but still a war america will lose

Yeah, with Su-35s coming in and pretty dramatic improvements in Iran's air defense, I don't really think it is that realistic to be honest.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the plateau iran is on is like a fortress. we can bomb their nuclear research bunkers or whatever but then what? rip to all our nutty allies over there

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

croup coughfield posted:

you should try finding a different subject around which to base your personality. funkos or somehting maybe, i dunno

I tried to be most divorced guy in the world but Musk beat me to it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

the plateau iran is on is like a fortress. we can bomb their nuclear research bunkers or whatever but then what? rip to all our nutty allies over there

We bomb the bunkers declare victory and go home. The fundamental problem is we are incapable of honestly assesing our enemies strengths and assume its all weakness that will be easily brusbed aside as the Iraqi Army in 1991 and 2003 was. Look at all the liberals who are convinced that nuclear war with Russia is winnable because magically all the Russian missles will not launch and we'll devastate them, also China wont launch cause a missle going for Vladivostok totally doesn't look like one bound for China

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm reminded of how both Nazi Germany and imperial Japan did accurate assessments of one another's chances and correctly concluded the other guys were totally hosed but were systemically unable to apply that analysis to themselves or their immediate enemies.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

The hope is we could just blow them and get away with it and set back their nuclear program (and probably bomb a bunch of infrastructure). It is just we probably couldn’t even get away with that with Iran at this point, and Iran very clearly has their own conventional strike capabilities with drones and cruise missiles.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I'm reminded of how both Nazi Germany and imperial Japan did accurate assessments of one another's chances and correctly concluded the other guys were totally hosed but were systemically unable to apply that analysis to themselves or their immediate enemies.

I know :umberto:has become a meme, or at least was one on the boards. But his analysis was right

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

a lot of the Japanese knew they couldn't win a war outright against the US but thought an early strike would slow the US down enough that they could do what they wanted unfettered in Asia for a year and then negotiate a peace treaty with the US

that went right out the window when they botched the start by attacking Pearl Harbor without ensuring first that their declaration of war had been received, I don't know if that would have greatly changed the response to the attack though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

imo dont open new fronts on different continents before you win on your own but i am not a fascist

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

a lot of the Japanese knew they couldn't win a war outright against the US but thought an early strike would slow the US down enough that they could do what they wanted unfettered in Asia for a year and then negotiate a peace treaty with the US

that went right out the window when they botched the start by attacking Pearl Harbor without ensuring first that their declaration of war had been received, I don't know if that would have greatly changed the response to the attack though

They were operating on the one swift kick principle just like Germany

And just like Germany they had a few easy wins early on to convince them they were right about this

This is in no way comparable to the US rolling over Iraq

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

And just like Germany they had a few easy wins early on to convince them they were right about this

Maybe basing out military stratgey around a bunch of Germans who were political in the 40s wasn't the best idea

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Slavvy posted:

I thought the navy straight up told Tojo that if they attacked Pearl Harbor they could only guarantee six months of strategic advantage over the American pacific fleet

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

They weren't hoping that giving a declaration of war thirty minutes before the first bomb hit the Arizona as Yamamoto intended (*if that is in fact what he intended and/or if that was what the Japanese government apparatus was actually doing) would make the US more likely to accept a peace settlement later. What they did was fundamentally gently caress up (Yamamoto in particular) their assessment of which capital ships mattered the most toward that objective and also (as fascist military governments are prone to doing) underestimated the US's general willingness to fight for its colonial interests and assumed that knocking out the battleship fleet followed by a short victorious seizure of everything they needed would put them in a strong negotiating position.

They realized "ah ha, we can destroy their battleships with air power and assure our victory in later decisive battles for at least a year!"
They did not realize "wait if air power is what wins naval engagements now, doesn't that mean battleships are no longer the decisive capital ships?"

They built the potentially winning advantage in the decisive hot new technology... then used it to win a tactical victory on the old terms instead of doing the math all the way through and realizing they needed to neutralize the US's own aircraft carriers first and foremost. The fact that they attacked without warning is ancillary to the gross strategic mistakes they made.

indigi posted:

I thought the navy straight up told Tojo that if they attacked Pearl Harbor they could only guarantee six months of strategic advantage over the American pacific fleet

Yeah, the IJN was fully aware they had no long term strategic prospects against the US. They just didn't realize their short term victory plan was junk as well.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Jan 26, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

cat botherer posted:

Look buddy, you have to like either Russia or Ukraine. You can't just say they are both bad.

What about liking them both? Is that allowed?

Real hurthling! posted:

It's actually pretty likely the USA can't destroy at least one of them, it's pretty deep, plus Iran has been making some really strong concrete recently called UHPC.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran-nuclear-strike-idUSTRE80B22020120112

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

the urals ......

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Weka posted:

What about liking them both? Is that allowed?

they should kiss

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

. What they did was fundamentally gently caress up (Yamamoto in particular) their assessment of which capital ships mattered

to be fair all sides hosed that up. Pearl Harbor forced that awareness of carriers on the USN, because there were no real alternatives.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I think there's a distinction to be drawn between the "one swift kick" principle and an approach based on the US's own against Spain over in large part the same claims, to be honest. Less hope of an actual collapse, more hope of untenable colonies being cut loose.

That said, I'd argue that Japanese participation in the war was less paved by it being perceived as winnable and more by its root cause being a solution to an untenable domestic political situation. The right-liberal response in Japan to out-and-out fascism was to co-opt, rearrange, and attempt to ride it; war with the Anglos was inevitable given the untenability of basic industry under the Anglo oil blockade, which in turn was inevitable given atrocities in China, which in turn were inevitable given the idea of letting the burgeoning ranks of disaffected petty bourgeois and lesser aristocracy work out their frustrations on Chinese civilians, which in turn was the only thing that dissuaded them from pursuing open civil war instead.

From that perspective, those who made the final call achieved their objectives swimmingly--the explicitly fascist right was cleaned out by force of primarily Soviet arms, the left by occupation forces, the old conglomerates were suppressed for a while but eventually regained their place, and the longest-serving Japanese PM by a factor of over 50% was the grandson of the Devil of Showa.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

They weren't hoping that giving a declaration of war thirty minutes before the first bomb hit the Arizona as Yamamoto intended (*if that is in fact what he intended and/or if that was what the Japanese government apparatus was actually doing) would make the US more likely to accept a peace settlement later. What they did was fundamentally gently caress up (Yamamoto in particular) their assessment of which capital ships mattered the most toward that objective and also (as fascist military governments are prone to doing) underestimated the US's general willingness to fight for its colonial interests and assumed that knocking out the battleship fleet followed by a short victorious seizure of everything they needed would put them in a strong negotiating position.

They realized "ah ha, we can destroy their battleships with air power and assure our victory in later decisive battles for at least a year!"
They did not realize "wait if air power is what wins naval engagements now, doesn't that mean battleships are no longer the decisive capital ships?"

They built the potentially winning advantage in the decisive hot new technology... then used it to win a tactical victory on the old terms instead of doing the math all the way through and realizing they needed to neutralize the US's own aircraft carriers first and foremost. The fact that they attacked without warning is ancillary to the gross strategic mistakes they made.

makes sense to me

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

to be fair all sides hosed that up. Pearl Harbor forced that awareness of carriers on the USN, because there were no real alternatives.

I mean, I think the attack on Pearl Harbor itself says volumes about the level of strategic competence among senior US leaders at the time.

The attack on the Philippines says more though because you can lmao at McArthur all day every day for like a year and still find new reasons to lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Speaking of lmaos there's some pretty good ones in this piece:
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/26/us-sends-ukraine-advanced-abrams-tanks-00079648

quote:

The U.S. is planning to send Kyiv the Abrams main battle tank in its more advanced M1A2 configuration, rather than the older A1 version that the military has in storage, according to three people with knowledge of the deliberations.

say the line

quote:

But the 31 tanks slated for Ukraine will not include the secret armor mix that makes the Army’s newest version so lethal, said the people, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive conversations.

secret invincible freedom armor still secret and invincible

quote:

Questions remain over the timeline of when the Abrams tanks can be delivered to Ukraine. The tanks are assembled in one place only — a government-owned, General Dynamics-operated plant in Lima, Ohio. That facility can produce 12 tanks per month, but the line is now full of new tank orders for Taiwan and Poland — orders it would be difficult and likely controversial to put on the backburner.

tfw you have an entire system of suzerainties to arm but spent 20 years with the budget slider for "graveyard of empires" set to max

quote:

Poland has ordered 250 A2 tanks that will be delivered starting in 2025, but in the meantime is receiving an emergency infusion of 116 M1A1 tanks recently retired by the Marine Corps. Warsaw asked for the tanks to quickly replace the 250 Soviet-era T-72 tanks it gave Ukraine last year, and the shuttering of the Marine Corps tank units made hundreds of well-maintained tanks available immediately.
:ironicat:

quote:

Rather than sending Ukraine tanks from its own stocks, as it has done with previous weapons, the U.S. has said it is buying the Abrams from industry, meaning they won’t arrive on the battlefield for many months, or potentially years, given industrial constraints in upgrading them. In the meantime, the U.S. will train Ukrainian forces on how to maintain and operate the tanks, as well as “combined arms maneuver” tactics to help them integrate the weapons into their overall operations.
Here's 31 tanks three years from now, change from a soviet armor doctrine to a western armor doctrine please and thank you

quote:

Either Abrams version would be a significant upgrade from the Soviet-era tanks Ukraine now operates, in firepower, accuracy and armor. But once they arrive, Ukrainian forces will be challenged to keep them in operation, experts said.

lol get hosed T-64BV 2017 no one likes you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
wow sounds like this arm the ukraine thing is reported and run by liberals