Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Which, to be fair to the dude, seems to have come from needing to be ready to Drax-out.

I dunno how much leaner he might have been before WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Dave Bautista pretending to be a normal person in movies reminds me of Gordon Ramsay dressing up to go incognito at restaurants.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Dave Bautista pretending to be a normal person in movies reminds me of Gordon Ramsay dressing up to go incognito at restaurants.

Pretty much. I think he has ton of talent and could be really good in heavy dramatic roles, but I think his options are limited as long as he looks like his fulltime job is gaining muscle mass. For example, he only had a small role in Blade Runner 2049, but it was a no-nonsense serious role with serious stakes and I think he nailed it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

confused posted:

Pretty much. I think he has ton of talent and could be really good in heavy dramatic roles, but I think his options are limited as long as he looks like his fulltime job is gaining muscle mass. For example, he only had a small role in Blade Runner 2049, but it was a no-nonsense serious role with serious stakes and I think he nailed it.

There was another short that preceded the movie that explained how Sapper Morton got onto the radar of the BR units. He was just really good as that character. I also think he would have been really good as Drax from the comics, who is absolutely serious and driven by personal tragedy. Instead he got made into the butt in a comedy movie.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Which, to be fair to the dude, seems to have come from needing to be ready to Drax-out.

I dunno how much leaner he might have been before WWE.

not very

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dillbag posted:

not very

Jésus Christi.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Jedit posted:

There was another short that preceded the movie that explained how Sapper Morton got onto the radar of the BR units. He was just really good as that character. I also think he would have been really good as Drax from the comics, who is absolutely serious and driven by personal tragedy. Instead he got made into the butt in a comedy movie.

It will be interesting to see how much of a role he has in Dune Part Two. Villeneuve obviously likes him, but Glossu Rabban is such a one dimentional character, at least in the book. I wonder if they are going to expand it out a bit to give him something with more depth to do acting-wise.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New D&D trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aflAjE6FxsY

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Jedit posted:

I also think he would have been really good as Drax from the comics, who is absolutely serious and driven by personal tragedy. Instead he got made into the butt in a comedy movie.

I never read the comics and was pretty fine with the movie’s characters… until I played the game that came out a couple years ago. Holy poo poo, the movie iterations could have been so much better.

The game is still hilarious, even more-so than the movies imo, but each character also gets gravitas. Drax and Mantis in particular are just so much better, and it sucks because Bautista absolutely could have pulled off the game’s version of Drax.

So if that’s what the comic was like, yeah the movie absolutely fumbled and did Bautista a disservice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Well that's a shame.

I really wish one of these mainstream fantasy things would actually be good. Guess I'll just watch Green Knight again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

no

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

I never read the comics and was pretty fine with the movie’s characters… until I played the game that came out a couple years ago. Holy poo poo, the movie iterations could have been so much better.

The game is still hilarious, even more-so than the movies imo, but each character also gets gravitas. Drax and Mantis in particular are just so much better, and it sucks because Bautista absolutely could have pulled off the game’s version of Drax.

So if that’s what the comic was like, yeah the movie absolutely fumbled and did Bautista a disservice.

Comics Drax has no resemblance to movie Drax. Comics Drax is not even an alien, he's a human named Arthur Douglas whose family was killed by Thanos (though his daughter turns out to have survived) and whose mind was put into an alien body to fight Thanos.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

feedmyleg posted:

Well that's a shame.

I really wish one of these mainstream fantasy things would actually be good. Guess I'll just watch Green Knight again.

Me, at the first scene: Ok this seems pretty charming, a little Willow like. Guy is trying to escape and rolling 1s, that's funny. Has potential.
Me, when they say "that's not good": Oh dang. They gave it the Hollywood Blockbuster Treatment. Oh dear.
Me, when they did the "Don't do The Thing" "I did The Thing" gag: :( :( :(

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I for one love Guardians of the Dungeon. Bring it on, it looks good.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Me, at the first scene: Ok this seems pretty charming, a little Willow like. Guy is trying to escape and rolling 1s, that's funny. Has potential.
Me, when they say "that's not good": Oh dang. They gave it the Hollywood Blockbuster Treatment. Oh dear.
Me, when they did the "Don't do The Thing" "I did The Thing" gag: :( :( :(

Everything that's not the Whedon dialog looks very good, including the action scenes, so I'm hoping those quips are easy to ignore while buzzed. I'm saying this as a card nerd, not a dice nerd.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The first trailer was way more fun, although I did appreciate the increased Hugh Grant presence in this one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

I for one love Guardians of the Dungeon. Bring it on, it looks good.

Yeah it looks fine certainly accurate enough

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

This makes me sad. They should make good movies instead of bad movies. At least that's how I feel.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i support the dnd movie in that if it does well it seems like there might be a way to trick someone into making another tabletop rpg movie but of one that is a good game

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I was confused for a second. Honestly thought this came out months ago, lmao.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

i support the dnd movie in that if it does well it seems like there might be a way to trick someone into making another tabletop rpg movie but of one that is a good game

You think if this does well they're going to make "other" tabletop RPG movies instead of just an endless stream of more D&D poo poo?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jewmanji posted:

You think if this does well they're going to make "other" tabletop RPG movies instead of just an endless stream of more D&D poo poo?

Well I was making a joke but if you are going to be unlikable about it, yes I do now.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

Well I was making a joke but if you are going to be unlikable about it, yes I do now.

Sorry that was a bit snippy of me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The D&D trailer didn't really bother me, it's pretty much as I'd expected. That said, I don't have a lot of familiarity with the IP. Looks like a good cast for a kid's movie.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Pretty sure Whedon developed all his quippy dialogue from jokes his DnD games made at the table so it's really coming full circle here

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Needs more Monty Python quotes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

well why not posted:

The D&D trailer didn't really bother me, it's pretty much as I'd expected. That said, I don't have a lot of familiarity with the IP. Looks like a good cast for a kid's movie.

The interesting thing is that D&D has almost no value as an IP. There's like a dozen monsters they have control of, and most people have never heard of them (know what a yaun-ti is? How about a displacer beast?) They don't have any control over dungeons, or dragons. Their real value is as a mega-brand in the tabletop space (I would estimate that, conservatively, 95% of roleplayers get their start with Dungeons and Dragons), the sort of default RPG in the same way that Xerox used to be the default copy machine.

Having said that, they just totally blew up their goodwill with their own biggest evangelical fans, right as they are working on launching a new version of their RPG, so things are in a very interesting state right now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They have value in other media. Or did. Novels and games over the years that used the settings like Forgotten Realms.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lobok posted:

They have value in other media. Or did. Novels and games over the years that used the settings like Forgotten Realms.

It's "or did". There's a very interesting state right now where they are a massive tabletop juggernaut due to a couple of actual play podcasts hitting it big, but at a low point outside of it. Look at the list of D&D video games (the last one released was 2 years ago and a disaster, and D&D video games have been on life support for over a decade). The novels are mostly reprints of Dragonlance and Drizzt. Everybody knows their name from Stranger Things but that's about it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The interesting thing is that D&D has almost no value as an IP. There's like a dozen monsters they have control of, and most people have never heard of them (know what a yaun-ti is? How about a displacer beast?)

:lol: if displacer beast is one they have control over, since that's was originally taken without credit from a A. E. Van Vogt story.

It's "or did". There's a very interesting state right now where they are a massive tabletop juggernaut due to a couple of actual play podcasts hitting it big, but at a low point outside of it. Look at the list of D&D video games (the last one released was 2 years ago and a disaster, and D&D video games have been on life support for over a decade). The novels are mostly reprints of Dragonlance and Drizzt. Everybody knows their name from Stranger Things but that's about it.

It's astonishing to me that there was never a 4th ed video game. Cheap jokes aside, that system would have been perfect for it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah almost all the “original” monsters in D&D were stolen in some fashion.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Wandering Earth 2, a prequel! Actually looks pretty ok, and I’m a sucker for anything sci-fi.

https://youtu.be/Yf3VreXwVpI

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I hated the first movie lol but it sounds like they just want to do a good old disaster movie. Still need to check out the three body show done by tencent

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just watched the first movie now

It was so painfully boring I just skipped to the action scenes

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Bunyip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amEKz29tU-w
Needs to be a cooler movie about bunyips, looks bad

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

The Peccadillo posted:

Bunyip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amEKz29tU-w
Needs to be a cooler movie about bunyips, looks bad

I admit that my memory of bunyip lore is not great, all I remember is they live in/around water and come out at night to hunt women and children. Is the red eye thing saying they can possess/influence people as well? I don't remember that bit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Genuinely have no idea the first one existed

https://youtu.be/LM2F56uK0fs

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02PPMPArNEQ

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They can't all be winners Jake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looks like a movie my brother would really enjoy.