Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Remember to gift everyone horse manure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Chapter 17: i got Sigurd's ring back and Louis was immediately MVP on the next skirmish map. Feels good. Love to slingshot my cannonball shaped son into a crowd of enemies armed with nothing but swords

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
chapter 10 is so drat good. absolute culmination of everything that this game does right all in one place. i can't wait for the next climax to top it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentalyl i think the stable actually has the actual characters' horse models in it? like i think you only have two in there when you have alfred and vander, and then a third when you get amber, and i think if you reclass someone to a horseriding class a fourth pops up/you get a fourth and fifth when you get fogato and bunet

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Alfred left a pretty nothing first impression but i've come around on the guy. Shame about the VA but he's a pretty fun dude. Wish he'd get more speed though but alas.

I like Alfred a lot but going by the fact that Amber’s my favorite character so far I guess I just like enthusiastic dorks.

Mine was iffy on Strength and ok on Speed but I could count the number of times he hasn’t proc’d a Defense level on one hand and have a finger to spare. Absolute brick house.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah, I don't think my Alfred has been that good with Defence but he's my tankiest non Knight and he always puts in work. Being able to lure and survive a crit from Kagetsu has been real useful lately.

Amber had an annoying voice so I have yet to see a single support and likely never will though. Perhaps when I replay I will give him a fair chance.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i thought alfred wasn't very interesting and then he proceeded to be very mediocre statwise so him and his horse were put on bench duty as soon as i had 11 party members. im sorry alfred. its not me, it's you.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The dlc giving you a second set of stat boosters at least means you can salvage anyone who's not showing up. I got warrior Jade up to speed and then had enough leftover to salvage Lapis because while her growths are bad and she's entirely mediocre, her insecure character and some of the lines she had after battle/leveling up really got to me and I'm making a point to have her become a star. She's not quite there yet but she's well on her way. Take that Kagetsu and your high base stat having rear end.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

The dlc giving you a second set of stat boosters at least means you can salvage anyone who's not showing up. I got warrior Jade up to speed and then had enough leftover to salvage Lapis because while her growths are bad and she's entirely mediocre, her insecure character and some of the lines she had after battle/leveling up really got to me and I'm making a point to have her become a star. She's not quite there yet but she's well on her way. Take that Kagetsu and your high base stat having rear end.

Starsphere gives like +15% to growths too so it can help to equip Tiki for a map or two. At 2,000 SP I don’t think it’s worth actually buying though. (SP costs should be like half of what they are, ffs)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why would they create an entire boutique minigame function and then not let it affect anything outside of our sky island

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Engage got me like

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wouldn't call the dub bad, but Reina Ueda's performance as Veyle is so good that I haven't really switched off since chapter 8. And I just enjoy Aya Endo's small, elongated hesitations everytime another weirdo comes up to her in supports.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
This game definitely feels like the game where base stats matter the least. I Second sealed my level 2 Vander to a General and with the Ike ring, he may not be quite as good as my trained Louis, but he could still fulfill the same role in a pinch. It's also kind of silly seeing these Greataxes that provide more might than my character with the highest strength on my team.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
credits rolling. 315 total turns. Gonna go back in on maddening right away

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm only on Chap 6, but do you eventually unlock a mechanic like 3H meals to grind supports

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm only on Chap 6, but do you eventually unlock a mechanic like 3H meals to grind supports
you get a meal mechanic but you can only use it once per somiel visit rather than basically infinitely. however it should still be enough to get the supports of most of the units you're using up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My best guess is that they wanted supports to still be trickling in at the end of the game, which practically requires either gating supports (which kind of sucks) or reeling in support gains (which also kind of sucks). It's sort of a lose-lose situation, imo, where there's no way to guarantee you'll get A rank on everybody you're using without handing out so many points that you'll get most of them by midgame

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hell yeah not that RD lacks for great maps but 3-13 is a great choice for the paralogue. My one regret is that it doesn't give you an absolutely cracked out ally archer unit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

cheetah7071 posted:

My best guess is that they wanted supports to still be trickling in at the end of the game, which practically requires either gating supports (which kind of sucks) or reeling in support gains (which also kind of sucks). It's sort of a lose-lose situation, imo, where there's no way to guarantee you'll get A rank on everybody you're using without handing out so many points that you'll get most of them by midgame

Much like a lot of this game's approaches, this feels like a throwback to classic FE where you kind of have to pick and choose who you want to get supports up with instead of having your entire cast be A rank besties by the halfway mark.

It's an interesting choice, because whether supports are easy or not doesn't really have a huge gameplay effect, so I view it as a bit of a negative.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i didnt really have this massive issue with supports other people seem to be having but i also decided on the 14 or so units i wanted to use in my first run before the game came out and stuck to them pretty clearly. maybe its a bigger issue if you switch midstream or smth

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
well the baseline for the last while has been supports that are so fast that you'll get A ranks on characters who you use for a few chapters and then ditch; this is a reversion to the previous norm where A ranks are something you get on characters you use in the long run. So for your main crew, your ending supports are more or less the same as they would have been previously, but you get a lot fewer random Bs and As on other people along the way. But yeah if you don't really have any randos you only use for a few chapters, then you won't really notice the difference

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Endorph posted:

like as a rando example here's rosado and goldmary's c support, since it's extremely simple in concept.

ENGLISH

JP support with an extremely literal translation

As you can see barring maybe two lines (Goldmary's 'I'm cuter than you' is still implied by her 'I can't get over you saying you're cuter than me,') and the final line from Rosado directly saying he wants to beat Goldmary versus the final line in Eng being more him just wanting to be better in general, these two supports are basically the same. But the structure of the sentences is pretty different.

In general I'd say this support is basically emblematic (heh) of the TL. It's basically the same thing but they massage the conflict a tiny bit in a way that makes it slightly less funny, probably to make the characters seem less 'mean.' But they're so similar it's still hard to complain too much. Barring the obvious intentional changes, that's about where I'm at with the TL as a whole.

I’m not talking about the meaning/accuracy. I’m not accusing them of changing any meaning. I mean in the sense that someone will say something like a curt two words and the text will be a whole sentence, even if both technically meant the exact same thing it hits different. It’s like those parodies about old Kung fu movies where the guy mouths what looks like a whole paragraph and the dub just say “Thanks”.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

galagazombie posted:

I’m not talking about the meaning/accuracy. I’m not accusing them of changing any meaning. I mean in the sense that someone will say something like a curt two words and the text will be a whole sentence, even if both technically meant the exact same thing it hits different. It’s like those parodies about old Kung fu movies where the guy mouths what looks like a whole paragraph and the dub just say “Thanks”.

usually when that happens, it's because the sentences were rearranged a bit. You'll find the missing semantics in the preceding or following line.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

galagazombie posted:

again though, thats what im saying. theres definitely a few cases like that where its just a single line. but if its an extended conversation then sometimes things needs to be rearranged like that.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just wish you could pick arena pairups for support because they seem to be worth a *lot* of points. I've had characters that went straight from C to B after one arena match.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
They really should have called normal mode easy, there's no challenge to it at all and I regret not starting my play through on hard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hard is a bit too hard to be 'normal,' tho, imo. unlike three houses.

ironically now there's a problem that there should probably be a difficult between normal and hard, whereas 3h needed a difficulty between hard and maddening.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Endorph posted:

again though, thats what im saying. theres definitely a few cases like that where its just a single line. but if its an extended conversation then sometimes things needs to be rearranged like that.

Yes but I feel a good localization accounts for that. It wasn’t noticeable to this degree in Three Houses (though it didn’t really matter since TH had a good dub anyway outside like 2 characters).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why should they account for that. how does two lines not matching up exactly make it a bad localization. there's legitimate complaints to be made about the game's TL but this isn't one of them. you dont even know japanese.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I got my flamingo after three skirmishes and one save-scum of the post-skirmish explore, so no matter what happens in the rest of the game I'm happy. That's all I needed.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Going from B to A support seems to take a metric fuckload of points. I've done 20 chapters, 9 paralogues now and often hand out gifts and just got my first A rank support with Yunaka.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Alright chapter 20 down pretty certain now that Alear was just straight up satan's kid and dragon mom spent 1000 years trying to turn them into a divine dragon. This is less funny than finding out Lumera went through a bad boy phase and had a hybrid child during her fling with satan, but I figured that theory was always a long shot.

Feels like I'm coming up on endgame, which if true is kinda unfortunate because I feel like a couple units are now only really starting to come online because they needed so many parts to slot in. Timerra for example has just kinda tipped over from a unit I was considering benching late to a wrecking ball thanks to 30/30 spd/def + sandstorm.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, I feel like Alfred's voice is about right for "sporty twink who is not a hunk in spite of his best efforts". A deeper voice would feel weird.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sydin posted:

Alright chapter 20 down pretty certain now that Alear was just straight up satan's kid and dragon mom spent 1000 years trying to turn them into a divine dragon. This is less funny than finding out Lumera went through a bad boy phase and had a hybrid child during her fling with satan, but I figured that theory was always a long shot.

Feels like I'm coming up on endgame, which if true is kinda unfortunate because I feel like a couple units are now only really starting to come online because they needed so many parts to slot in. Timerra for example has just kinda tipped over from a unit I was considering benching late to a wrecking ball thanks to 30/30 spd/def + sandstorm.

Slight length spoiler: No, you still have 6 more chapters to go barring remaining paralogues

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tae posted:

I wouldn't call the dub bad, but Reina Ueda's performance as Veyle is so good that I haven't really switched off since chapter 8. And I just enjoy Aya Endo's small, elongated hesitations everytime another weirdo comes up to her in supports.

Yeah but Veyle's English VA is Megan Taylor Harvey, who also did Sophia in Persona 5 Strikers. Her voice had me care deeply for the character before the plot tried to do anything with here.

Incidentally, Yunaka's VA, Laura Post, was Kasumi in Persona 5 Royal. She's got quite a bit of range; she's also Catherine in Houses, but Yunaka's cheerful voice is exactly the same as Kasumi's.

It's like the casting crew had already decided ahead of time which characters should be my favorite, and hell, they weren't wrong.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've been very happy with the jp voicework but I don't really have a basis for comparison since I played with it from the start

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

King Moron of Brodia

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Terper posted:

King Moron of Brodia

Persona 4 collab confirmed.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
dub is worth it just for yunaka's crit lines, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Chapter 18: