Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Next week's feature is about how Freddie Horse-Bentley can never find a parking space for his long wheelbase Range Rover, despite engaging parking assist.

Parking Assist is a poo poo chauffeur then, and should be dismissed immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really think "bad outcomes are an error, not the system working as intended" is really just a refusal to critically look at the system. Whether or not you personally would like the outcome or even whether the people in control of the system would like it, has no bearing on whether it is produced systemically. It is possible for a great many people in society to think the cops help people and even for all the cops to think that too, and for them still to actually make things worse.

And worse describing it as something that is inevitable is acknowledging the systemic problem and simply saying it is unsolvable, without even trying to solve it.

Just layers on layers of refusal to engage with the issue.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

Also the BBC isn’t... sexually assaulting people
They do have that big pedo statue designed by the nonce architect to memorialize all of the predators that they protected.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I really think "bad outcomes are an error, not the system working as intended" is really just a refusal to critically look at the system. Whether or not you personally would like the outcome or even whether the people in control of the system would like it, has no bearing on whether it is produced systemically. It is possible for a great many people in society to think the cops help people and even for all the cops to think that too, and for them still to actually make things worse.

Until that last sentence I thought you were still talking about Money-Coutts's dating exploits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

Until that last sentence I thought you were still talking about Money-Coutts's dating exploits.

It is very generally applicable :v:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Yup. The system IS what it DOES.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

She is literally a member of the coutts banking dynasty, the one the monarchy uses.

And, I believe, is the bank that if you have a mega win on the lottery your winnings get paid in to.
(Obviously the lottery people don't trust your local bank staffed by local people - if you're luck enough to still have one - not to keep their mouths shut if you suddenly get a million quid dumped into your account!)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

They do have that big pedo statue designed by the nonce architect to memorialize all of the predators that they protected.

Looking it up again "bbc pedo statue" reliably brings it up on google.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And, I believe, is the bank that if you have a mega win on the lottery your winnings get paid in to.
(Obviously the lottery people don't trust your local bank staffed by local people - if you're luck enough to still have one - not to keep their mouths shut if you suddenly get a million quid dumped into your account!)

Having worked there, the staff were /not/ nice about the lottery winners. Unsurprisingly a bunch of loving snobs for the most part. (Weirdly though, the queen’s personal banker was actually the nicest person in the building. Absolutely lovely guy.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"lottery winners are a bunch of idiots who just came into money by random accident"

Queen's personal banker:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

"lottery winners are a bunch of idiots who just came into money by random accident"

Queen's personal banker:

Heh

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Camrath posted:

Having worked there, the staff were /not/ nice about the lottery winners. Unsurprisingly a bunch of loving snobs for the most part. (Weirdly though, the queen’s personal banker was actually the nicest person in the building. Absolutely lovely guy.)

If someone would like to bung me a million quid to test it out - taking one for the team as it were - I offer myself as a willing 'victim'.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If I won the lottery people could get as cunty about it as they wanted, I would not care because I won the lottery and could afford not to care about pretty much anything.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

I mean, entirely valid. I make no comment on the work he did; he was just a genuinely nice guy. Actually made time to interact with us lowly security peons, would always stop for a chat about anything or check how things were going. Sent a crate of champagne to the security office for Easter, Christmas and birthdays and invited us all (including the night shift, which for some odd reason was the one all the black officers were assigned to..) to his private retirement do, which pissed off a whole shitload of self-important bankers a great deal.

I mean it’s all noblesse obligé stuff, but at the same point he was never patronising and as someone working in a service industry I’d much rather deal with that than the spectrum of ‘indifference’ to ‘flat out rudeness’ that most of the upper tiers there had.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

Slutshaming is bad, but you have to laugh at the person who pointed out that the Times put Sophia's love life behind a paywall.

£1 a month for 6 months is pretty good compared to some OnlyFans subscriptions, so a good deal really

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mebh posted:

Sorry this took a while as I had to get the relevant segments and write it out. I was too busy stomping angrily around Aldi last night listening to it.

Thanks for this post, yeah that's a little more defensive than I'd like of him. Wasn't quite the whole boot, as I can understand the concept of those who enforce justice, but the police in its current form is not a tool of justice but a cudgel for capital, and he should know this full well.

Kinda keeps up the whole "the men at Novara are dumb, the women are awesome" style I guess.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Danger - Octopus! posted:

£1 a month for 6 months is pretty good compared to some OnlyFans subscriptions, so a good deal really

I once took them up on an offer like that.

Ask me about the time they double charged me for a 50 quid subscription.

Two months in a row.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/gem_abbott/status/1618531980899151875

BBC's Home Editor is a Nazi.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I mean you say that ironically, but I got that backpay from the DWP and it's just sat in an account. I don't even know what I would get with it.

I'm trying to get a new laptop because my old one is slow, has a terrible keyboard and takes forever to start up, and a new one would be useful for trying to do an hour of writing each day just to try and build up a bit of income.

But I've basically spent the last week going back and forth between the same two or three models, worrying. It just seems like so much money to spend in one go, it's like my brain has instituted a safety stopping me from hitting buy.

I've had no disposable income of my own for so long, I think i've lost the ability to spend money. Even if I'm at the shops, the most I'll do is treat myself with a meal deal some lunchtimes.

If I won the lottery I can't even concieve what I'd do. Pay off the mortgage, do the same for my brothers, donate a chunk to the solidarity fund and local food banks? I don't even know! There's no point buying viddy games and warhams I probably won't have time to get to.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Head of Met in shockingly close to truth telling incident.

Two or three Met officers to face court a week, commissioner says

Choice cuts.

"Two or three Met Police officers per week are expected to appear in court on criminal charges in the coming weeks and months, the force's chief has said.

Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley says the public should "prepare for more painful stories" as the force confronts the issues it faces.

He said cases included "violence against women and girls offences", such as domestic abuse and sex offences. "

"He told the committee: "We haven't applied the same sense of ruthlessness to guarding our own integrity that we routinely apply to confronting criminals - and I'm deeply sorry for that.""
So, tacitly admitting the Met are bastards then. Also, should be "criminals".

"During the meeting, he also revealed a new Met corruption hotline had received tens of calls each week, a third of which related to other forces, which had been passed on."
And so are all the other forces.

"He emphasised the problem was bigger than "a few bad apples", adding the Met's anti-corruption and abuse command was being encouraged to be "proactive in using more covert techniques"."
No poo poo Sherlock.

"The force is currently reviewing previous allegations of violence against women and girls made against 1,071 Met Police officers and other staff members over the past 10 years.

Sir Mark said some of those officers and staff had "multiple cases" against them. "
An average of over 100 officers a year with complaints of violence against women made and gently caress all done by his own admission.

If he's gone public with this much the full sordid truth must be absolutely horrendous.

I sincerely hope every last one of these swine get jail time and are put in general population. The combination of sex criminal and police officer would guarantee they get what they truly deserve.
It'll be protective custody ofc but I can dream can't I. Even there there'd be incidents, possibly from the screws.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 26, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A few bad apples spoil the barrel.

It does not work the other way around with the remaining good apples.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

What an absolute oval office. I particularly love the 'only one of these is female' as if the lives of young men aren't worth poo poo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If somebody told me there was a pint of piss in the barrel of beer they were about to pour my beer from, I would not shrug and accept this.

Or in the case of fosters, an entire barrel of piss.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

What an absolute oval office. I particularly love the 'only one of these is female' as if the lives of young men aren't worth poo poo
They're all working in cannabis washes and car farms so it's fine, I'm sure they're not being terribly exploited.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
On one hand, people pay traffickers and they are given false stories to use that ensure once in the country they will be sent to a specific location(s) where they then reconnect with the trafficker and get taken to their family if they're lucky or job as an indentured servant if they're not.

On the other hand they are minors so maybe we shouldn't just be turfing them into a big hotel where they can easily just vanish again.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What the gently caress could "willingly trafficked" even mean ? Is that just going on holidays

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Failed Imagineer posted:

What the gently caress could "willingly trafficked" even mean ? Is that just going on holidays

It just means he's a racist who thinks they were asking for it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It just means he's a racist who thinks they were asking for it.

Indeed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

He thinks they went to an Albanian job fair and saw a poster saying "exciting opportunities in a terraced house full of dodgy electrics! regular beatings if you don't make quota! get trafficked today!" and were desperate enough to apply, and therefore deserve everything that they get.

Rarity posted:

What an absolute oval office.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

If I was being fair it means they have paid for someone to smuggle them into the country without a 'valid' asylum claim. The trafficker has provided them possibly with false documentation and coached them on what to say to game the system.

If I was being normal I'd say it was just a xenophobic dogwhistle because the numbers of dodgy asylum claims are so tiny in comparison to the overall legal immigration applications which are huge.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Basically like the drug trade, people smuggling fills a gap in the market caused by heavy handed enforcement. If immigration was easier by legal routes (basically impossible for anyone not wealthy) it would be much less of a problem.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I liked his style of work (apart from the kids) till i found out he shagged his sister, his daughters & his dog. :yikes:

edit: bad phrasing.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 26, 2023

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/POLITlCSUK/status/1618293772181274624

I'm always amazed that MP's used public transport. Feels like one man berating you for murdering thousands of people is getting off lightly.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

UKMT Winterval 2023 - Coming over here stealing our Car Washing and Cannabis Farm jobs

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Nothing to do with anything, but this excerpt from a random US article gave me hope

Translation: "When Christians meet gay people and realise they're nice and normal and not covered in horns/eyes/scales, they question things". Definitely shaken.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/POLITlCSUK/status/1618293772181274624

I'm always amazed that MP's used public transport. Feels like one man berating you for murdering thousands of people is getting off lightly.

Unfortunately he isn't berating him for murdering thousands of people, he's berating him for locking us down and not murdering more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If having horns and scales was an option when you go gay I would definitely make an effort to be gayer.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
In re Matthew Hardcock assault: after the last 40 years, that people aren't defenestrating tories on sight simply shows we're far too tolerant on the whole.

I mean, they stole your housing, your education, your transport, your utilities, your pension, your water, your mail service, your safety net, and soon, your healthcare.

Note I am not advocating violence (although violence is being done to us), this is merely an observation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Basically like the drug trade, people smuggling fills a gap in the market caused by heavy handed enforcement. If immigration was easier by legal routes (basically impossible for anyone not wealthy) it would be much less of a problem.

Full freedom of movement for everyone, everywhere imo.
:anarchists:

Yuri Gagarin (apocryphal) posted:

From up here I can see no borders