Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm playing the Three Houses Side Story, and I'm very mad that Jeralt is shown as old and with a beard in the image of him with Byleth's mom. I'm 95% sure I remember Rhea (or someone else) specifically mentioning that Jeralt did not have a beard when he was last at the Monastery!

This DLC has had some pretty tedious levels, though fortunately the most recent one wasn't too bad. I think I have one more left. I just beat Aelfric, who ran, so I'm guessing one more fight with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This is the most fun combat review I've seen so far:

This is just from a random skirmish; I wonder how big you can make number with concerted effort.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Junpei posted:

Engage got me like

Chloe's bisexual as well, according to the dataminers who looked at the s-rank conversations. So much wholesome gay energy in her C support with Celine.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

drat, Vander sure can piss.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Louis and Cloé’s substory is about Louis seeing if he can recruit her into his voyeur lifestyle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Chloe's bisexual as well, according to the dataminers who looked at the s-rank conversations. So much wholesome gay energy in her C support with Celine.
every character's bi, just only with alear

which is a bit of a shame that only alear gets paired endings. some of the non-alear supports do feel pretty romantic, like diamant/alfred. or uh, amber/zelkov of all things

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Endorph posted:

every character's bi, just only with alear

The version I heard was that everyone can s-rank with Alear, but only certain s-rank conversations are actually romantic for Alear of the same gender.

I'd be happy to be wrong about that, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The version I heard was that everyone can s-rank with Alear, but only certain s-rank conversations are actually romantic for Alear of the same gender.

The S-rank conversations are all the same between male and female Alear. The ones that are less romantic or non-romantic are that way for both genders.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

There's no differences in any of Alear's supports based on gender, to the point the files don't even distinguish between them. The paired endings are all the same, too.

In the original JP, every Alear S-support is explicitly romantic. In the TL, they made the under-18s, plus Vander and the other old characters, more platonic. Which is a move I understand in, say, Anna's case, but since the ages aren't actually shown in game, say, Fogato, could be anywhere from a teenager to early 20s. This makes everything feel extremely random if you look at the wrong supports.

But no, there's no 'this character is bi, this character is straight.'

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also Alear is (not counting the 1000 year nap) 17 in the internal files so they apparently decided that 17 years olds shouldn't date fellow 17 year olds. Because reasons.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
chloe has three support gimmicks

food, fairy tales, compliment-flirting.

i haven't unlocked it but my niece said merrin and chloe's supports were pretty explicitly romantic so she might just be the bisexual menace of the game like dorothea

what a legend

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

The S-rank conversations are all the same between male and female Alear. The ones that are less romantic or non-romantic are that way for both genders.

Huh, nice. Good to know.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For clarification in the original JP every single Alear paired ending starts with 'Alear's partner,' with partner in the romantic sense. For some reason they removed this even for the supports that the TL didn't touch???

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ngl, Chloe seemed kinda boring at first as just “lady who likes fairy tales I guess” but she’s definitely someone I like more as just a lowkey insane person who literally watches people sleep despite their requests to not do that because it reminds her of fairy tales, on top of shoveling whatever into her mouth like a Snorlax.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Most people in the cast, even if they appear boring and normal at first, are one form or another of gigantic weirdo, and I think that's great

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Lyn's paralogue was pretty brutal and I loved it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So for the Emblem paralogues: do units still perma-die in those? Like so far they seem like scenarios where nobody should be fighting to kill but I don't exactly want to test that theory.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Characters do the death animation and give their death quote, unlike Training! skirmishes where they stay on their feet and give the retreat quote.

I haven't tested if it sticks, but signs point to no.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Kanos posted:

Much like a lot of this game's approaches, this feels like a throwback to classic FE where you kind of have to pick and choose who you want to get supports up with instead of having your entire cast be A rank besties by the halfway mark.

It's an interesting choice, because whether supports are easy or not doesn't really have a huge gameplay effect, so I view it as a bit of a negative.
IMO the amount of support points you get is fine, but they should've used the old system of "people who get deployed together get supports" rather than it only being player phase and only in extremely close proximity. Sometimes the characters with the fun dynamics fulfill WILDLY different combat niches, you know?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I probably would've appreciated that too since somehow my Kagetsu has gotten no non-Alear supports and he's been in my team for 6 chapters along with Zelkov and Ivy

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Blaziken386 posted:

IMO the amount of support points you get is fine, but they should've used the old system of "people who get deployed together get supports" rather than it only being player phase and only in extremely close proximity. Sometimes the characters with the fun dynamics fulfill WILDLY different combat niches, you know?

I don't know why they took away the 3H? era change where every unit in range of an enemy got support points at least. Instead it's like if I want supports I have to play incredibly suboptimally, so it just sucks all around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do think the writing would be getting a warmer reception if the game was more generous with support points. It's unfortunate that it's unlikely a player will see many full support chains without specifically going out of their way to grind support, because the support conversations are generally good and do a great job showing off the characters.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kanos posted:

Much like a lot of this game's approaches, this feels like a throwback to classic FE where you kind of have to pick and choose who you want to get supports up with instead of having your entire cast be A rank besties by the halfway mark.

It's an interesting choice, because whether supports are easy or not doesn't really have a huge gameplay effect, so I view it as a bit of a negative.

Tbh I think I'd prefer them being scattered scenes after doing a Three Houses replay where every other chapter is punctuated by binging like six random conversations about food or being scared of the dark with no context or reference to the rest of the game

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
So is Maddening "meta" going to be class changing everyone to heroes and learning Lucina's Dual Assist skill? I realized the power of heroes when I saw that chain attacks do 10% health damage and always have 80% accuracy. Hilariously though it doesn't work on the final boss since it reduces chain attack accuracy to 30%.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Frankly the only reason I haven't made all of my melee infantry into Heroes is that the outfit looks dumb. The class itself is strong as hell.

In fact I think the only Hero I have is Goldmary since she doesn't have to wear the normal Hero outfit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people are coming up with like 5 different metas. first it was generals, then it was canter, now its brave assist. im sure the dust will settle eventually but for now it seems like, multiple things are good/viable.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Am I understanding it correct that you can't keep skills between classes? Your final skill setup = class skill, personal skill, emblem skills, 2 inherited emblem skills.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reik posted:

Am I understanding it correct that you can't keep skills between classes? Your final skill setup = class skill, personal skill, emblem skills, 2 inherited emblem skills.

Correct. Class skills are tied to the class that learns them.

Endorph posted:

people are coming up with like 5 different metas. first it was generals, then it was canter, now its brave assist. im sure the dust will settle eventually but for now it seems like, multiple things are good/viable.

The main point in favor of the "Hero Meta" is that it's extremely funny to watch like seven double chain attacks go off before every single attack

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Harrow posted:

Correct. Class skills are tied to the class that learns them.

So once you find a class skill you like the only reason to second seal is more exp?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reik posted:

So once you find a class skill you like the only reason to second seal is more exp?

Or if you want to actually be a different class, yeah. You can also second seal right back into the same class if you're at max level, if you want more EXP but don't want to actually change classes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So is it confirmed that weapon ranks or weapon triangle disadvantage don’t really do anything beyond “can use C/B/A/S rank weapons” and “get broken when enemy initiates combat”? If so that’s kind of an…odd choice, the game owns but it’d be even better if Louis had even some slight kind of downside for facing down axe attackers instead of just chunking them like he does everything else, or characters’ innate blue proficiencies having more of an effect for most of the game by giving +mt/hit and not just for I assume the endgame penultimate chapters when you get the S rank weapons.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Harrow posted:

Or if you want to actually be a different class, yeah. You can also second seal right back into the same class if you're at max level, if you want more EXP but don't want to actually change classes.

Right, once you find a full class you like, not just their skill.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

So is it confirmed that weapon ranks or weapon triangle disadvantage don’t really do anything beyond “can use C/B/A/S rank weapons” and “get broken when enemy initiates combat”? If so that’s kind of an…odd choice, the game owns but it’d be even better if Louis had even some slight kind of downside for facing down axe attackers instead of just chunking them like he does everything else, or characters’ innate blue proficiencies having more of an effect for most of the game by giving +mt/hit and not just for I assume the endgame penultimate chapters when you get the S rank weapons.

Another thing the innate proficiencies can do is make you able to use a wider range of weapons in a class that doesn't necessarily specialize in a unit's proficiency. For example, making someone with innate lance proficiency a sword/lance Hero lets them use B rank lances instead of just C rank ones, which opens up the Spear and Silver Lance as options.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Accuracy is such a clusterfuck, especially in the early game, that throwing weapon triangle into the mix would make it FE6 levels of Miss Hell, imo.

Especially given the buff to terrain avoid, I think that it’s probably for the best. I think the game could get pretty miserable particularly with the dearth of early game swords.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Harrow posted:

Do you keep the skill or only regain once you hit 5 again?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

Do you keep the skill or only regain once you hit 5 again?

That part I don't know! I was wondering that earlier. I'm hoping you just keep it if you loop around in the same class, it'd be kinda awkward otherwise.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Heroes and sages have their immense power held down and suppressed by having kind of ugly costume designs in this one. Though I really do appreciate that sage's midriff torso wrap thing and leggings-with-random-stripe-missing are completely unisex so everyone gets to look equally doofy. It's just like how in fates every dark mage really loved sheer body stockings.

Dual Assist is strong but a 35% proc rate is kind of rough.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 26, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

The main point in favor of the "Hero Meta" is that it's extremely funny to watch like seven double chain attacks go off before every single attack

Some people should just go play Disgaea or Front Mission 5 or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

Heroes and sages have their immense power held down and suppressed by having kind of ugly costume designs in this one. Though I really do appreciate that sage's midriff torso wrap thing and leggings-with-random-stripe-missing are completely unisex so everyone gets to look equally doofy. It's just like how in fates every dark mage really loved sheer body stockings.

Once you increase Lucina's bond level limit, you can get Dual Assist+, which has a 70% proc rate. Much more reliable at that point. Costs a shitload of SP of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kanos posted:

At least Mage Knight is just as good, if not better. It's skill is actually useful, and the horse gets a hat. Losing staves sucks though.