Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The game based on the Man Show got banned because they accidentally had nudity of a minor in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The game based on the Man Show got banned because they accidentally had nudity of a minor in it.

i understand your confusion, but The Guy Game was actually completely unaffiliated with The Man Show

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

opa!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

That dude sure could drink beer fast

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

RandolphCarter posted:

That dude sure could drink beer fast

Didn't his liver explode before the second season?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

credburn posted:

Didn't his liver explode before the second season?

Prostate cancer

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fish of hemp posted:

Is there like any media at all from early 2000's that has aged well?
Your mileage will vary significantly because most of these shows are about deeply unpleasant people, but-- Malcolm in the Middle, Sopranos, the first 2-3ish seasons of Scrubs, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Deadwood, Dead Like Me, the first 1-2ish seasons of Battlestar Galactica, Band of Brothers.

Weirdly Arrested Development aged a lot worse than I thought it would. It's not even that bad, just kind-of worn out and a lot less lovable without the scrappy "always on the verge of cancelation" energy.

Video games from the time have actually aged better than expected, barring the usual riders of "obviously the controls/engines will feel a bit jank because future developers iterated on principles set up here."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Six Feet Under has aged weirdly for me because it's all very well-acted but has that characteristic "all the characters are terrible to each other and also impossibly horny all the time" Alan Ball trademark. Was everybody really that horny 20 years ago? I feel like I've missed out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The rule of thumb as I've learned it through life is that it's like an 80/20 split of people who are reasonably horny and those who are horny constantly, and that 20% of constantly horny tend to be the ones driven enough to create a lot of poo poo and skew perception. Plus blah blah "sex sells" blah blah "manufacturing insecurities" blah blah.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Wire aged funnily because even it gets accused of copaganda sometimes (mostly because it suggests that good policing is possible and worth trying for, as the line in much of society on that has shifted to police being an inherently bad idea). But a more realistic Wire where the force is mostly made up of Hercs would not be a good TV show.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Wire aged funnily because even it gets accused of copaganda sometimes (mostly because it suggests that good policing is possible and worth trying for, as the line in much of society on that has shifted to police being an inherently bad idea). But a more realistic Wire where the force is mostly made up of Hercs would not be a good TV show.

Isn't that basically The Shield though?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That or We Own This City

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Samovar posted:

He also stated that no Jew could ever be English, and advocated for them to be forced to water identifying clothing so that they wouldn't be able to pass, if memory serves.

Got conversations crossed and thought this was referring to Jimmy Kimmel for a sec.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Fish of hemp posted:

About 98% of Farscape.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fighting Trousers posted:

About 98% of Farscape.

It gets better after that Jeremiah Crichton episode?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Much.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

Your mileage will vary significantly because most of these shows are about deeply unpleasant people, but-- Malcolm in the Middle, Sopranos, the first 2-3ish seasons of Scrubs, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Deadwood, Dead Like Me, the first 1-2ish seasons of Battlestar Galactica, Band of Brothers.

Parts of The Sopranos have not aged well tbh. Watched the whole thing recently, and the pacing is glacial compared to a more modern show. Even in the final season and then the last few episodes, there's still dumb sometimes jokey side stuff happening that goes nowhere and distracts from the main plot. It feels like you could cut out a third of each season and not lose anything, at least.

Also, and very noticeably tbh, the show is incredibly unpleasant in its treatment of women. It's absolutely grim. Female characters turn up just to be abused, hurt or killed and get less screen time and lines in the process than the men do. And everything that goes down with Adriana The story is largely only interested in them as victims or as objects to distract/castigate men who die or get abandoned. The camera's lingering male gaze is also extremely loving uncomfortable at times, especially when it comes to Meadow. Yeah sure, there's a degree where you can say oh it's about a subculture of men who are misogynistic themselves but it goes beyond what the characters do, to what the camera and the writing does.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I hate that this picture is so useful

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Parts of The Sopranos have not aged well tbh. Watched the whole thing recently, and the pacing is glacial compared to a more modern show. Even in the final season and then the last few episodes, there's still dumb sometimes jokey side stuff happening that goes nowhere and distracts from the main plot. It feels like you could cut out a third of each season and not lose anything, at least.

Also, and very noticeably tbh, the show is incredibly unpleasant in its treatment of women. It's absolutely grim. Female characters turn up just to be abused, hurt or killed and get less screen time and lines in the process than the men do. And everything that goes down with Adriana The story is largely only interested in them as victims or as objects to distract/castigate men who die or get abandoned. The camera's lingering male gaze is also extremely loving uncomfortable at times, especially when it comes to Meadow. Yeah sure, there's a degree where you can say oh it's about a subculture of men who are misogynistic themselves but it goes beyond what the characters do, to what the camera and the writing does.

That's basically every drama

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Fish of hemp posted:

as far as cartoons go, Avatar: the Last Airbender and Justice League/Unlimited aged shockingly well imo

sopranos has some of the strangest editing i've seen for a professionally made, major network backed series. like, there's a ton of scenes that seem to go on for no more than a couple minutes at a time, then cut away at what seems like a very odd or even abrupt point. as if it was like the show was constantly filled with moments where a fly kept getting into a shot or there was some kind of video/film corruption and needed to be cut out and salvage whatever they got. a lot of it genuinely felt amateur

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

rodbeard posted:

That's basically every drama

I hate to be pithy, but like yeah. The only difference I see with The Sopranos is that there's not even a fig leaf of justification or artistry to disguise the misogyny like other shows do. It's a very unflinching reflection of vulgarity.

That is not to say that "therefore knowing this you should like it" or "therefore you're not supposed to like it, so tolerate it" or even that "therefore, this was an intentional choice by the creators." It just means that "the misogyny is loving awful" isn't a sign of the show aging badly and being out of touch with today's values as much as it's thematically consistent and doing something with a certain level of honesty, however unintentional. That may not be something you value, and 99 times out of 100 "it's unpleasantly realistic" isn't something I value, but The Sopranos... it works as a whole, even if yeah a lot of the individual parts are like a garlic fart.

Mr Interweb posted:

sopranos has some of the strangest editing i've seen for a professionally made, major network backed series. like, there's a ton of scenes that seem to go on for no more than a couple minutes at a time, then cut away at what seems like a very odd or even abrupt point. as if it was like the show was constantly filled with moments where a fly kept getting into a shot or there was some kind of video/film corruption and needed to be cut out and salvage whatever they got. a lot of it genuinely felt amateur

The first season in particular is borderline schizophrenic in figuring out what tones it wants to shoot for. Sometimes it's diet-Scorsese, other times it's 90s slice-of-life, other times it's like a network family drama where everyone happens to also say "gently caress" a lot.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Jan 26, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Six Feet Under has aged weirdly for me because it's all very well-acted but has that characteristic "all the characters are terrible to each other and also impossibly horny all the time" Alan Ball trademark. Was everybody really that horny 20 years ago? I feel like I've missed out.

HBO means boobs and wieners, even if only twice a season.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Mr Interweb posted:

as far as cartoons go, Avatar: the Last Airbender and Justice League/Unlimited aged shockingly well imo

The 90s The Mask cartoon also has some genuinely good character work and some interesting ideas revolving around the Mask and it's effects on people's sense of identity.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Sopranos owns gently caress off dude.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mr Interweb posted:

I'd like to think that the Men in Black cartoon aged well, but I also haven't watched it since it was actually still on tv, so I'm probably forgetting something that proves me wrong.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

the_steve posted:

I'd like to think that the Men in Black cartoon aged well, but I also haven't watched it since it was actually still on tv, so I'm probably forgetting something that proves me wrong.

I looked into it a while ago and it's.... fine? The aesthetic still slaps and is easily the best use of that aesthetic that the studio/style ever got assigned to do, fitting the MiB concept like a glove, and the VA work ranges from passable to "Of course it's good it's Tim Curry," but the scripts and actual animation are exactly as low as you would fear. It's all perfectly adequate for a mid-tier also-ran on a dying kid's cartoon block, but there's no lost treasures to be found beyond a few money shots.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Jan 27, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

italian quid posted:

The Sopranos owns gently caress off dude.

Why do you post like a youtube comment section

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Sopranos has about one absolute dud of an episode per season (Columbus Day, that one in the last season where Christopher harasses Ben Kingsley) but aged extremely well and outclasses most shows it influenced.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Motorsport.com comment section, get it right

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

The Sopranos is a lot like Seinfeld in that the leads are all charismatic enough that it is easy to lose sight of the fact that they're all supposed to be the worst people alive. You root for them because they're the protagonists and the show is essentially all about their vision of the world and the way that the world works but they're terrible and once you remember that it is easier to understand why The Sopranos is insanely misogynistic.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

mind the walrus posted:

I looked into it a while ago and it's.... fine? The aesthetic still slaps and is easily the best use of that aesthetic that the studio/style ever got assigned to do, fitting the MiB concept like a glove, and the VA work ranges from passable to "Of course it's good it's Tim Curry," but the scripts and actual animation are exactly as low as you would fear. It's all perfectly adequate for a mid-tier also-ran on a dying kid's cartoon block, but there's no lost treasures to be found beyond a few money shots.

I think it is fair to say they covered most of the plots we got in the sequel movies, yet managed to have better resolutions than said movies.

What I wonder is how the hell they got 4 seasons, but the Godzilla series only managed 2

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Okay, but you gotta get over it.

NorgLyle posted:

The Sopranos is a lot like Seinfeld in that the leads are all charismatic enough that it is easy to lose sight of the fact that they're all supposed to be the worst people alive. You root for them because they're the protagonists and the show is essentially all about their vision of the world and the way that the world works but they're terrible and once you remember that it is easier to understand why The Sopranos is insanely misogynistic.

I think you're right, a lot of people have difficulty squaring it. The show really spells it out for you when Ralphie beats that girl to death and everyone is upset with him and you think there is this big moral reckoning happening but the best they can come up with is that he "disrespected the bing" by just brutally beating the poo poo out of that poor girl. These guys aren't supposed to be your moral compass through life and quite frankly I think you're dumb if you're looking to TV show characters to be that moral compass for you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aces High posted:

I think it is fair to say they covered most of the plots we got in the sequel movies, yet managed to have better resolutions than said movies.

What I wonder is how the hell they got 4 seasons, but the Godzilla series only managed 2

Better received movie probably.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Spoken like a piece of poo poo that ate all of the gabagool

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Sopranos has about one absolute dud of an episode per season (Columbus Day, that one in the last season where Christopher harasses Ben Kingsley) but aged extremely well and outclasses most shows it influenced.

what??????

are you one of those people who think we're supposed to agree with them about Columbus

mind the walrus posted:

in my mind the MiB cartoon is just the OP and nothing else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVAePIyC4kQ

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I love the the first VGA gave the GOTY to Madden of all things. That was the year Wind Waker came out

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

what??????

are you one of those people who think we're supposed to agree with them about Columbus

No, I just think it's an extremely bad episode of television as well as a weird interregnum in a heavily serialized show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

grittyreboot posted:

I love the the first VGA gave the GOTY to Madden of all things. That was the year Wind Waker came out

Yes, but that would require genuinely engaging with your subject material which, as the video shows, they had absolutely no interest in doing. It was always going to be either a sports game or an army game, because those are derived from other, not traditionally nerdy subject materials.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

No, I just think it's an extremely bad episode of television as well as a weird interregnum in a heavily serialized show.

Did you think the whole thing with the catalytic converter and the dry vegetation in the final was a waste as time too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't remember. But what would be lost if that Columbus Day episode disappeared? The anti-Italian discrimination screenshot? I thought that was a universally derided episode.