Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I swear to god, do none of you actually read? Click the loving link. The facebook "ban" was always for two years, the two years are up, and the entire loving article is about the set of systems for reducing spread and reinstating the ban that they're setting up because of Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Discendo Vox posted:

I swear to god, do none of you actually read? Click the loving link. The facebook "ban" was always for two years, the two years are up, and the entire loving article is about the set of systems for reducing spread and reinstating the ban that they're setting up because of Trump.

It says the original suspension was "indefinite" and the oversight board later recommended reviewing it within two years of the original date to determine if there were still issues/there was a likelihood that he would repeat the behavior.

They determined that it wasn't, but it wasn't determined that the suspension would automatically lift within two years.

quote:

Two years ago, we took action in what were extreme and highly unusual circumstances. We indefinitely suspended then-US President Donald Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts following his praise for people engaged in violence at the Capitol on January 6, 2021. We then referred that decision to the Oversight Board — an expert body established to be an independent check and balance on our decision-making. The Board upheld the decision but criticized the open-ended nature of the suspension and the lack of clear criteria for when and whether suspended accounts will be restored, directing us to review the matter to determine a more proportionate response.

quote:

To assess whether the serious risk to public safety that existed in January 2021 has sufficiently receded, we have evaluated the current environment according to our Crisis Policy Protocol, which included looking at the conduct of the US 2022 midterm elections, and expert assessments on the current security environment. Our determination is that the risk has sufficiently receded, and that we should therefore adhere to the two-year timeline we set out. As such, we will be reinstating Mr. Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts in the coming weeks. However, we are doing so with new guardrails in place to deter repeat offenses.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It says the original suspension was "indefinite" and the oversight board later recommended reviewing it within two years of the original date to determine if there were still issues/there was a likelihood that he would repeat the behavior.

They determined that it wasn't, but it wasn't determined that the suspension would automatically lift within two years.

Yeah, I know, because I read the loving article.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Chill, bro

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, I know, because I read the loving article.

I don't know if they read the article or not, but I don't think I AM GRANDO or Gyges really posted anything that contradicted the article or that deserved a scolding like that.

I'm sure there were financial considerations made when they determined what to do after the review period came up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So do you all think Trump's actually going to post on Facebook, or is he going to snub it like he did Twitter?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So do you all think Trump's actually going to post on Facebook, or is he going to snub it like he did Twitter?

He already said he would come back if they let him and he is no longer going to be posting exclusively on Truth Social.

quote:

Clegg also recognized Trump’s return to the platform would spark a backlash among his critics.

In an exclusive interview, Trump previously told Fox News Digital that Facebook has "lost $700 billion since I was de-platformed."

"It has been considered a major business mistake for them, Twitter, and others," he added. "If they took us back, it would help them greatly, and that's okay with me," Trump said earlier this month.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Donald Trump, the person who's comments I was posting about, doesn't actually read.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He already said he would come back if they let him and he is no longer going to be posting exclusively on Truth Social.

But he's grouping Facebook with Twitter, which he hasn't posted on yet after being reinstated.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I've never met a sikh irl but they must own. I've never heard anything about a sikh that wasn't just them being cool as hell and helping people for no reason.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

https://about.fb.com/news/2021/06/facebook-response-to-oversight-board-recommendations-trump/

It was a 2 year ban that would then be evaluated. There was nothing indicating the ban would automatically be undone after 2 years.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pencilhands posted:

I've never met a sikh irl but they must own. I've never heard anything about a sikh that wasn't just them being cool as hell and helping people for no reason.

I remember back in the 90s in Vancouver it was big news that a Sikh temple erupted into a massive brawl that turned into a weeks long standoff over the summer because they introduced tables and chairs to the temple and the older traditionalist members of the temple lost their poo poo and tried to beat the gently caress out of all the young reformers over it. But that's been the only untoward thing I've ever heard about Sikhs and even then it was just a bunch of old cranks being dogmatic assholes.

I've worked with a few Sikhs at one job or another over the years, all of them my age, and they were some of the coolest, chillest, friendliest people I've ever met in my life. Great senses of humor too.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
also suprising that the baha'i faith is viewed relatively poorly by both parties, especially democrats. i kind of have to assume the reason it polls like 7 points worse than unitarianism with democrats is unfamiliarity

though maybe it's just personal bias, since my parents told me when i was growing up that the best person they personally knew was a member of the baha'i faith that used to work with my father, and the baha'i temple in my old neighborhood would feed anyone, no questions asked

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember back in the 90s in Vancouver it was big news that a Sikh temple erupted into a massive brawl that turned into a weeks long standoff over the summer because they introduced tables and chairs to the temple and the older traditionalist members of the temple lost their poo poo and tried to beat the gently caress out of all the young reformers over it. But that's been the only untoward thing I've ever heard about Sikhs and even then it was just a bunch of old cranks being dogmatic assholes.

I've worked with a few Sikhs at one job or another over the years, all of them my age, and they were some of the coolest, chillest, friendliest people I've ever met in my life. Great senses of humor too.

Lmao it's pretty funny that the only thing that ever pissed them off was chairs and tables.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

also suprising that the baha'i faith is viewed relatively poorly by both parties, especially democrats.

It sounds vaguely foreign and that's often damning enough for both parties' favorite demographic

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

-Blackadder- posted:

I was in JW's until about early high school, I definitely have my beef with them for various reasons but I wouldn't say they're comparable to the Amish (and actually acquit themselves surprisingly well in comparison to many other religions in a broader view).

JW's live in normal cities and towns and their kids attend public schools (not even religious ones). The discouragement from higher ed etc is mostly overblown these days. They're much more analogous to Mormons, (with the exception of the above mentioned weird history of anti-black racism in LDS.)

Also, while JW's definitely have most of the same Conservative-esque views and issues that other religions have, (in addition to some of their own unique whackjob beliefs: blood transfusions: bad, organ transplants: ok, lmao), they score several orders magnitude better than many of their contemporaries for one significant reason: it's strictly against their religion to:
  • Run for office
  • Campaign
  • Vote
  • Fundraise
  • Donate
  • or participate in any aspect of politics in any way.
(They're also strict pacifists and German JW's even got themselves a nice pair of striped pajamas and a purple triangle during the Holocaust for resisting conscription by the German Army during WWII.)

Considering how many of these religious groups trend towards Conservative to the point where the churches are little more than just fronts for Republican fundraising (or radically oppressive political factions in other countries), I'll take the ones that don't try to force their views down the throats of the rest of the country (except every Saturday morning at about 6:30am if you're dumb enough to answer your door!)

All true but they're also run as a strict all male hierarchy, so like every other one of those they have a huge rape problem and have helpfully found a way to interpret the bible that allows them to protect predators. One of the other things their strictly against is turning in an accused peadophile when the abuse had no witnesses other than the victim.

I don't have a problem with religion but any big all male-organization like that is going to chew up children, they always have, always will.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

pencilhands posted:

Lmao it's pretty funny that the only thing that ever pissed them off was chairs and tables.

I've only eaten at a gurdwara once, but there's a unique approach to communal eating. Where almost every place I've eaten has circles of people facing inward, usually around a table. This produces a room full of cold shoulders.

At a gurdwara, you sit with your back to the wall, facing inward at everyone. If there's room in the middle, a circle forms - of diners facing outward. The effect is ... impressive to experience.

I haven't seen it in any other culture myself. I'd love to know of others.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pencilhands posted:

I think it's got something to do with you sit and pray and eat and do whatever on the floor while in the temple because it enforces humility or something. And bringing in tables and chairs takes you off the floor and perverts that humility somehow. But yeah, it was absolutely nutty that THAT was the thing that caused a full on fisticuffs brawl between over 100 men one day.

Apparently about a decade later the traditionalists swept the leadership election in the temple and tossed out all the tables as their first oder of business.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

https://about.fb.com/news/2021/06/facebook-response-to-oversight-board-recommendations-trump/

It was a 2 year ban that would then be evaluated. There was nothing indicating the ban would automatically be undone after 2 years.

Yes, and the article loving discusses that reasoning, as does the thing you linked. I pray at some point the rule about reading sources and actually providing context when they get vomited forth for reactions will actually be enforced someday.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, and the article loving discusses that reasoning, as does the thing you linked. I swear to god it would be a miracle if the rule about context and reading sources would ever, ever be applied, even to a damned moderator.

Why so hostile, friend? You know it’s illegal under I.C to threaten the collegiality of our thread. Peace be with you :)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

stop being assholes to each other right now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

Sikhs were known for being pretty intimidating fighters in the Raj armies of WW1 and WW2, kinda like the Gurkhas, so I guess in general they're just chill dudes until it's time to throw down.

The polarisation of opinion on Eastern Orthodox (among the low percentage who have an opinion) is probably just Russia

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember reading The Indian in the Cupboard and coming across the line about "the proprietor, a surly-looking Sikh," who was an rear end in a top hat and kicked people out of his video arcade all the time. I didn't know what a Sikh was but it sounded bad.

Lol gently caress that book

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It should really say a lot how much prejudice is baked into your society to the point where even people who claim to be and sometimes even try to be 'progressive' have mountains of unexamined prejudice against people they know nothing about.

And so much of Western society is built around completely absolving you of that because you made the most token possible gesture, so you can forget about it and go on to what you are taught is normal everyday life not needing examination.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I was struck by the rather large spread on Buddhism, since that never struck me as a religion people has an opinion on (I'm Buddhist), so taking a look at the pdf, a few things stood out: the higher income you are, the more likely to have somewhat or very unfavorable views of Buddhism (goes from 15% to 21% to 26%), people in the Other category like Buddhism a lot more than white, black, or Hispanic people (which makes sense, most Buddhists in the US are Asian), and there's a noticeable increase in the percentage of people who have very or somewhat favorable views of Buddhism in the 65+ range. And that age group is the most likely to have an opinion on Buddhism.

It's either hippies or elderly Asian practitioners isn't it :v:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Where is Shinto? This is erasure.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I was struck by the rather large spread on Buddhism, since that never struck me as a religion people has an opinion on (I'm Buddhist), so taking a look at the pdf, a few things stood out: the higher income you are, the more likely to have somewhat or very unfavorable views of Buddhism (goes from 15% to 21% to 26%), people in the Other category like Buddhism a lot more than white, black, or Hispanic people (which makes sense, most Buddhists in the US are Asian), and there's a noticeable increase in the percentage of people who have very or somewhat favorable views of Buddhism in the 65+ range. And that age group is the most likely to have an opinion on Buddhism.

It's either hippies or elderly Asian practitioners isn't it :v:

Seems like that has to be it.

Pew has the demographics for American Buddhists and it is pretty interesting.

Looks like Asians, elderly white people, and a dash of young white people.

- Most are baby boomers.
- Most are Asian, with second place being white.
- Among white Buddhists, it actually skews slightly younger with almost the same amount of Gen Z/Millennials identifying as Buddhist as Boomers (still not a lot for either).
- 4% of white Buddhists are first generation immigrants. No idea where they are coming from. Maybe British Buddhists?
- American Buddhists are richer, better educated, more liberal, and more religious than the average American.
- 10% of American Buddhists also believe in Hell (?!?)

https://www.pewresearch.org/religio...hic-information

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The last part doesn't surprise me. Christian cultural conditioning is omnipresent, shitloads more people are syncretic even casually than you'd think, and Hell means many things to many people.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Buddhism has been influenced by a lot of preexisting beliefs in Asian cultures, which did have a concept of "hell." It's complicated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naraka_(Buddhism)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The White House and Department of Housing and Urban Development are implementing new rules for landlords and protections for renters. They include:

- A policy to guarantee renters the right to an attorney during eviction proceedings.

- A mandatory grace period on late rent payments.

- Multiple federal agencies that will gather information on unfair housing practices and make their reports public.

- A “Blueprint for a Renters Bill of Rights” that, while not binding, sets clear guidelines to help renters stay in affordable housing.

- A program called the “Resident-Centered Housing Challenge,” that will assist state and local jurisdictions with policy analysis and legal aid to make changes to housing rules at the state and local level. It will also work with private entities to make it easier to find affordable housing.

As part of the “Resident-Centered Housing Challenge,” announcement, they announced several partnerships that have already been agreed to:

1) Pennsylvania and Wisconsin announced they will cap annual rent increases on publicly subsidized housing.
2) Realtor.com will implement a system that highlights and filters rental units that accept housing vouchers or other subsidies.
3) The National Apartment Association will revamp its process for reporting to credit bureaus and offer free programs/waive reporting to help renters build credit.

- Some requirements and incentives for landlords to accept Section 8 vouchers.

- The Justice Department will look at competition issues in the rental market (no firm commitments to do anything, though).

- There is also a proposal to limit rent increases on houses bought with government-backed mortgages, but that is likely already dead due to concerns about legality.

Affordable housing advocates say that some of these steps could be very significant, but they expressed concern that by doing this executively without money appropriated by congress, it won't do anything to address the supply of housing and that few of these policies will have an impact right now because they won't kick in until later this year or early next year. Also, many of the largest housing issues happen at the state and local level, so they will need to be onboard.

quote:

“[The announcement] formalizes and launches a number of processes that may have significant implications in the future, but that requires a lot of follow up within the administration to make that happen,” he added.

quote:

Diane Yentel, head of the National Low Income Housing Coalition, who has been a close adviser of the Biden administration on renter issues, participated in multiple meetings at the White House to discuss renters rights, housing affordability and supply issues. She said that while these announcements are a historic step, the work cannot stop here.

“The hard truth is that administrative action on its own can’t resolve the housing crisis that we’re in,” Yentel said. “It’s going to require major action from Congress, and unfortunately, the opportunity we had through Build Back Better passed by … We are clear-eyed about the limitations of administrative actions but are still pushing to do all we can now. The need is greater than ever.”

Advocates for landlord and apartment groups say these rules may make it much more complicated and burdensome to rent, which could hurt the rental market and incentivize landlords to be even stricter about who they select as tenants.

quote:

“Complicating this process isn’t good at any time in the market cycle,” said Greg Brown, senior vice president of government affairs at the National Apartment Association. “But we’re in the fourth straight month of rent declines. I think things are adjusting again, so it does raise the question, are they responding to a situation of three to four months ago, not what is currently happening or will be happening in the near future?”

The association and 10 other industry groups urged Biden to resist pressure to lay new federal requirements on top of existing regulations and said that doing so would “further exacerbate affordability challenges,” in a letter last month.

quote:

“A lot of rental supply is going to be completing in 2023 -- we’re going to see more completions than we have in 40-plus years,” said Jay Parsons, chief economist at RealPage, a property management software provider.

https://twitter.com/kentrmoore/status/1618284462927908865

quote:

White House prepares new tenant protections, alarming housing industry

The housing industry, already facing a declining market, has mounted a preemptive counter-push, arguing that state and local regulations on leasing are sufficient and that federal intervention in the market could curtail desperately needed affordable housing investment.

The industry is bracing for “some pretty intense regulation,” said Jerry Howard, CEO of the National Association of Home Builders, whose members include landlords. “They need to be very cautious about what they’re doing,” said Howard, who was one of a handful of industry representatives at a November White House meeting on tenant protections. “There’s a real chance of creating a problem that doesn’t exist.”

With a possible recession looming, the Biden administration will be looking for ways to provide relief to cash-strapped Americans suffering from a higher cost of living. Since the U.S. House is now under Republican control, the kind of sweeping economic legislation enacted during the last two years is off the table.

quote:

Democratic lawmakers including Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), are leaning on the administration to go big by curbing rent increases at millions of units in properties with government-backed mortgages – a long-shot move the White House is not seriously weighing, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions.

quote:

While rent is still driving up overall inflation — thanks in part to a data lag in the official inflation gauge — the national median rent has fallen for four straight months, according to the latest data from Apartment List. New lease demand plummeted in the second half of 2022, when the net demand for apartments fell into negative territory for the first time since 2009, according to an analysis by RealPage Market Analytics.

“Complicating this process isn’t good at any time in the market cycle,” said Greg Brown, senior vice president of government affairs at the National Apartment Association. “But we’re in the fourth straight month of rent declines. I think things are adjusting again, so it does raise the question, are they responding to a situation of three to four months ago, not what is currently happening or will be happening in the near future?”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 26, 2023

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

This Kent Moore person sounds unpleasant.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Lol that the subprime mortgage crisis is the same as tenant protection laws

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Leon Sumbitches posted:

When you let poorer people get anywhere close to housing, BAD THINGS HAPPEN.

My over-leveraging and real estate speculation, on the other hand, is perfectly fine.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Eric Cantonese posted:

This Kent Moore person sounds unpleasant.

You're just saying that. I'm sure he's a fine...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leon Sumbitches posted:

There was a right wing talking point years ago that the housing crisis was because we have too many shifty minorities loans

Apparently that taking point is still alive and well!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anybody who started by saying "I represent landlords" was going to be lovely, but he's really putting in the effort.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Anything short of eminent domaining golf courses to create public housing is insufficient and classist.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 26, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

One of the far-right responses to the housing crisis was to blame it on fair housing laws, which they claimed were FORCING poor helpless banks and landlords to give risky loans with high interest rates to poor minorities even though everyone knew those people wouldn't actually be able to pay.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

Anybody who started by saying "I represent landlords" was going to be lovely, but he's really putting in the effort.

"I represent landlords" is probably the biggest red flag that the person you're dealing with is determined to be as reprehensible as reality will allow. It's up there with "Hitler was right" and "The confederates should have won" as warning signs that the person wants to be an apex monster. The rest is just icing on top of a mountain of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

<Imagine there's a Kelly here with a landlord in chains weeping while the cruel profligate tenants set the renter's agreement on fire as they walk away. The chains are labeled Tenant's rights in scare quotes>
"Sub-primed owned"

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 26, 2023