Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The alternative would be a paid search engine/social network/etcetera, where you aren’t the product, but I’m afraid we’re not there yet collectively.
I’ve been paying for and using Kagi as my main search engine for a while now and it’s pretty great, I haven’t once found myself reverting back to Google like I was with DDG.

(I appreciate my experience isn’t “collectively” but still.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I would say one of the interesting impacts of AI on search results is that AI-generated content has the possibility of being much more useful than human-created clickbait, and ironically, still less likely to appear as a search result on Google.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Most of the internet is already written with the idea that being read by robots is the most important part, so once all the writing is also being done by robots we can neatly close that loop and read a book or something instead.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The alternative would be a paid search engine/social network/etcetera, where you aren’t the product, but I’m afraid we’re not there yet collectively. The more viable alternative is regulators just breaking necks of everyone hard enough that we’re left with search engines et. al. being subsidised by, e.g., Microsoft’s software sales or Apple’s hardware sales.

I mean, the ideal would probably be a multinational, tax-funded entity like UNESCO that ran search and social media, with ethics boards, lots of paid content moderators, rules that encourage information over advertising, etc.

But like, lol at the chances of that happening in our lifetimes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, the ideal would probably be a multinational, tax-funded entity like UNESCO that ran search and social media, with ethics boards, lots of paid content moderators, rules that encourage information over advertising, etc.

But like, lol at the chances of that happening in our lifetimes.

Even if it happened it would probably be weaponized for geopolitical purposes.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Less UNESCO, more UNATCO.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

ErIog posted:

None of this is true. Offline mode works fine in the PC version. I know this because I started naked and didn't want messages in early areas so I could have more fun exploring them myself and figuring out where to get loot.

Offline has worked completely fine in every one of the games dating back to Demon's Souls where it was the recommended way to do a lot of things on a 100% run so that your world tendency didn't get wrecked.

If anything, this is a fuckup on either Sony's part or From misunderstanding something about the way the new online infrastructure works.

Everything I said was true, and I addressed your points in the second paragraph. Come on, its right there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Check out a high-level summary about the lawsuit DOJ says it filed against Google for constraint of trade. It looks devastating.

https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1618029720599408643

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Look, they took "Do No Evil" out of their mission statement, what more do you want

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Check out a high-level summary about the lawsuit DOJ says it filed against Google for constraint of trade. It looks devastating.

https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1618029720599408643

It doesn't matter how strong it is, Google has near infinite resources to fight this.

I'm not super optimistic.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm not super optimistic about anything, 2 years until the next election is a very short deadline. But I'd rather the suit were filed than not. What the hell, they did break up Ma Bell, and they did pressure Microsoft to open up browers on Windows.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm not super optimistic about anything, 2 years until the next election is a very short deadline. But I'd rather the suit were filed than not. What the hell, they did break up Ma Bell, and they did pressure Microsoft to open up browers on Windows.

It's worth noting that there seems to be a bi-partisan interest in standing up to the Big Tech, whatever are the motives of the individual actors involved, so you do not necessarily have to write this lawsuit off in January 2025 sharp.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Furthermore, there are eight states involved as well as the Justice Department, so it isn't all going to fall apart if there's a Republican President next.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's worth noting that there seems to be a bi-partisan interest in standing up to the Big Tech, whatever are the motives of the individual actors involved, so you do not necessarily have to write this lawsuit off in January 2025 sharp.

There's a bi-partisan interest when it directly hurts the consumer like with the Cambridge Analytica scandal or Microsoft forcing people to keep their crappy software installed, but consumers don't really care about being shown a slightly less relevant ad than they would otherwise.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SaTaMaS posted:

There's a bi-partisan interest when it directly hurts the consumer like with the Cambridge Analytica scandal or Microsoft forcing people to keep their crappy software installed, but consumers don't really care about being shown a slightly less relevant ad than they would otherwise.

The consumer here is businesses scammed by Google to overpay for ads and competing ad businesses killed by Goggle.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Furthermore, there are eight states involved as well as the Justice Department, so it isn't all going to fall apart if there's a Republican President next.

A Republican president is more likely to pursue Google than a big chunk of the Democratic field. The "war on woke" and all that, most of the Republican big beasts are increasingly anti big tech these days because they see both the corporations and their employees as too liberal:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Now post the same graph but what the company donates

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Now post the same graph but what the company donates

Its similar, still very heavily to Democrats:

quote:

Alphabet
Total contribution: $21 million
Top recipients: Joe Biden, Democrat super PACs

Google’s parent company Alphabet is one of the largest corporate donors during the 2020 election cycle. The company’s employees and PACs have contributed a total of $21 million to presidential and congressional candidates since 2019.

Nearly 80 percent of the funds went to Democrats, while just 7 percent went to Republicans.

A whopping $3.66 million went to the Joe Biden campaign. The tech giant also gave nearly $1 million to Bernie Sanders and $700,000 to Elizabeth Warren. The Democrat super PAC, Future Forward USA, and the DNC are the two largest institutional beneficiaries, receiving $2.5 million and $1.9 million respectively.

Among individual donors, Alphabet and Google CEO Sundar Pichai contributed a total of $10,000 through six donations to Google’s PAC. And Google cofounder Larry Page made a $5,000 one-time donation in late 2019.

https://observer.com/2020/11/big-tech-2020-presidential-election-donation-breakdown-ranking/

Its a chunk of the Democratic party thats most in bed with big tech these days.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I thought this was a good piece that explained the logic of layoffs, and it was written a month before the current round of cuts at tech companies:

https://www.thediff.co/archive/how-companies-think-about-layoffs/

quote:

Sure, it’s frustrating to get laid off and immediately see your former employer hiring for a job suspiciously similar to the one you just got pink-slipped out of (I've been there!)—but companies that do a round of layoffs are generally restructuring for growth—so it’s locally unfair, but generally positive.

What’s more likely, though, is that the real goal is to reset to a more modest pace of growth, and for an environment in which there isn't a wild bidding war for every employee or sales/marketing channel that could conceivably add to the growth rate.

This is tied to another accurate piece of conventional wisdom: the best time to cut costs is before the situation is desperate, and the optimal number of rounds of layoffs in a given economic cycle is exactly one.

Put those together, and the optimal layoff is a lot more extreme than the change in growth trend that justifies it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blut posted:

Its similar, still very heavily to Democrats:

https://observer.com/2020/11/big-tech-2020-presidential-election-donation-breakdown-ranking/

Its a chunk of the Democratic party thats most in bed with big tech these days.

That article doesn't separate employee donations from corporate donations, it combines them. While workers overwhelmingly support Dems, the corporate money tends to be more evenly divided. Here's how Google spent its PAC money, for instance:

Amazon's PAC maintains a similarly even split, and Facebook/Meta's PAC tends to lean a bit more toward the GOP. Microsoft appears to blow with the political winds, heavily favoring the Dems in 2008 and overwhelmingly favoring the GOP in 2016.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

That article doesn't separate employee donations from corporate donations, it combines them. While workers overwhelmingly support Dems, the corporate money tends to be more evenly divided. Here's how Google spent its PAC money, for instance:

Amazon's PAC maintains a similarly even split, and Facebook/Meta's PAC tends to lean a bit more toward the GOP. Microsoft appears to blow with the political winds, heavily favoring the Dems in 2008 and overwhelmingly favoring the GOP in 2016.

Right, but if the company workers overwhelming support the Dems, and the company executives overwhelming support the Dems, and the corporation money slightly supports the Dems more than Republicans, that overall adds up to a very large pro-Democratic support lean for the company. That actual donation bias plus the general "big tech = woke!" feelings of Republicans is why a lot of them are more anti-big tech than Democrats these days.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I guess the AI Lawyer guy isn’t going through with it anymore according to NPR:

quote:

A British man who planned to have a "robot lawyer" help a defendant fight a traffic ticket has dropped the effort after receiving threats of possible prosecution and jail time.

[…]

As word got out, an uneasy buzz began to swirl among various state bar officials, according to Browder. He says angry letters began to pour in.

"Multiple state bar associations have threatened us," Browder said. "One even said a referral to the district attorney's office and prosecution and prison time would be possible."

In particular, Browder said one state bar official noted that the unauthorized practice of law is a misdemeanor in some states punishable up to six months in county jail.

Anyway, I was under the impression—based entirely on TV and movies—that one could choose to represent themselves even if they were not a bar certified lawyer. Is this not true? And if it is true what’s the argument for not letting a rando “practice” law with an AI chatbot?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 26, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blut posted:

Right, but if the company workers overwhelming support the Dems, and the company executives overwhelming support the Dems,

For fucks sake, Facebook has multiple execs and senior leadership who were part of Republican administrations while people like Musk, Zuckerberg, and Bezos have always been right wing trash. Then you have other tech assholes like literal supervillain Peter Thiel. Or the massive amounts of dark money that is the main way these kinds of people operate politically.

Those people don't "support the Dems" they at most donate to where they see the wind blowing in terms of protecting their smaug-like money hoards. Peter Thiel boosted a senate candidate who, if they had their way, would criminalize Thiel's very existence, because Thiel felt the odds were low that'd happen while the odds were high that the person would help accomplish their other goals.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyway, I was under the impression—based entirely on TV and movies—that one could choose to represent themselves even if they were not a bar certified lawyer. Is this not true? And if it is true what’s the argument for not letting a rando “practice” law with an AI chatbot?

Because the AI Chatbot would presumably meet the threshold for being consider to provide legal services despite not being cleared to do so. It's not "I looked this stuff up on Google" it's "I'm just repeating what my AI lawyer tells me to say."

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 26, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Same reason we don't let randos sell "food" commercially without a permit from the relevant health department. It's not in people's best interest to allow them to entrust their court case to a smooth-talking huckster who's only pretending to know anything about the law.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Main Paineframe posted:

Same reason we don't let randos sell "food" commercially without a permit from the relevant health department. It's not in people's best interest to allow them to entrust their court case to a smooth-talking huckster who's only pretending to know anything about the law.

The way I see it is that I don't need a food permit to cook food for myself so why should I need a law permit to use an AI Chatbot to represent myself? That's how I see it anyway.

e: I'm willing to accept that I'm 100% wrong but I just don't really see how choosing to use an AI Chatbot to represent myself by repeating it verbatim is any different from looking up a dinner recipe on NYT Cooking and following it step by step to make dinner for myself.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 26, 2023

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

For fucks sake, Facebook has multiple execs and senior leadership who were part of Republican administrations while people like Musk, Zuckerberg, and Bezos have always been right wing trash. Then you have other tech assholes like literal supervillain Peter Thiel. Or the massive amounts of dark money that is the main way these kinds of people operate politically.

Those people don't "support the Dems" they at most donate to where they see the wind blowing in terms of protecting their smaug-like money hoards. Peter Thiel boosted a senate candidate who, if they had their way, would criminalize Thiel's very existence, because Thiel felt the odds were low that'd happen while the odds were high that the person would help accomplish their other goals.

Peter Thiel is notoriously one of the few big tech Republicans. The vast majority of big tech CEOs skew Democratic:

quote:

Here’s the final tally of where tech billionaires donated for the 2020 election. About 98% of political contributions from internet companies this cycle went to Democrats, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

The CEOs of Asana, Twilio and Netflix were among the biggest contributors, and they all targeted Democratic groups and candidates. Super PACs focused on flipping the Senate in favor of Democrats and winning in swing states received millions of dollars from tech execs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/02/tech-billionaire-2020-election-donations-final-tally.html

quote:

CNBC found that billionaire executives like Asana's Dustin Moskovitz, former Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt, and Twilio CEO Jeff Lawson and his wife, Erica, were among some of the biggest contributors to pro-Biden super PAC Future Forward USA. During this election cycle, Moskovitz, Schmidt, and the Lawsons have spent about $24 million, $6 million, and $7 million, respectively.

Other major donors include Netflix co-CEO Reed Hastings, who — along with his wife, Patty Quillin — donated more than $5 million, mostly to a Democratic PAC supporting close Senate races, according to CNBC.

CNBC tracked donations from other key players in the tech industry, including LinkedIn cofounder Reid Hoffman, former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, Qualcomm cofounder Irwin Jacobs, Y Combinator cofounder Jessica Livingston, and venture capitalists Vinod Khosla and Michael Moritz. All of them contributed to Democratic groups, CNBC found.

In both Protocol's and CNBC's findings, very few key players in Silicon Valley contributed to Republican groups or campaigns.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tech-execs-2020-political-donations-reed-hastings-dustin-moskovitz-report-2020-11?r=US&IR=T

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

The way I see it is that I don't need a food permit to cook food for myself so why should I need a law permit to use an AI Chatbot to represent myself? That's how I see it anyway.

e: I'm willing to accept that I'm 100% wrong but I just don't really see how choosing to use an AI Chatbot to represent myself by repeating it verbatim is any different from looking up a dinner recipe on NYT Cooking and following it step by step to make dinner for myself.
Because practicing law is legally different from cooking. You can get thrown in jail for practicing law without a license. You can't get thrown in jail for cooking without a license. If (note if) AI Chatbot is practicing law, it's a criminal. Enjoy years of court decisions trying to figure this one out.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this the case in Britain, where the case is being heard?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Because you're not representing yourself, that's the whole point.

Someone who is not a licensed lawyer is presenting arguments to the court, even if through software.

You're free to represent yourself badly if you want, but Court isn't a gameshow where you can call a friend to help you out.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Because practicing law is legally different from cooking. You can get thrown in jail for practicing law without a license. You can't get thrown in jail for cooking without a license. If (note if) AI Chatbot is practicing law, it's a criminal. Enjoy years of court decisions trying to figure this one out.

Again, if it's legally possible for me to represent myself in court by googling poo poo then I literally don't see a difference between that and using an AI Chatbot to represent myself in court.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Is the issue here that people aren't allowed to be represented by a chatbot, or that people aren't allowed to bring in the stuff the chatbot can't function without because it's neither lawyer nor human?

The court is probably always going to just default to anybody doing this trying to waste their time, almost certainly a correct assumption, at least until an one of these programs can pass the bar. I'd like to say their legitimate concern is the law becoming a formal two-tier structure like it's going to do to all customer service, but I think some people may be about to find out that "we'll replace all your non-partner labor with a machine!" is going to get a much warmer reception than "We've made robots lawyers now, you're out of the job!"

My suspicion is that if legal minds thought this was even remotely possible, and I agree with them that it isn't, they'd be melting down about it and actually crushing it hard and fast. Maybe that's happening behind the scenes I guess, I wouldn't know if so.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The problem’s not with the guy representing himself by using a chatbot, the problem is the techbro claiming that his chatbot will do a good job representing you. Nobody’s mad at the person doing a lovely job cooking for themselves, but they’re sure mad at the huckster who sold them rotten ingredients and said they were good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Just make the bot take the bar exam to prove its competency (or lack thereof)

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Take the bar to the bot, if you know what I mean.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
An AI would probably do very poorly on the LSAT or Bar exam, but very well on a law school class exam.

The LSAT and Bar exam are going to be a lot of logic puzzles and critical thinking skills that you can't just info dump an answer to (at least it did 15 years ago). A law school exam on the other hand, is almost entirely about specific content, rules, and procedures to memorize that a bot with access to the internet could easily ace.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

An AI would probably do very poorly on the LSAT or Bar exam, but very well on a law school class exam.

The LSAT and Bar exam are going to be a lot of logic puzzles and critical thinking skills that you can't just info dump an answer to (at least it did 15 years ago). A law school exam on the other hand, is almost entirely about specific content, rules, and procedures to memorize that a bot with access to the internet could easily ace.

In fact, the Opening Arguments guys have been testing it by explicitly plugging bar exam practice questions into ChatGPT. As you predicted, the bot is pretty good at repeating back a decent rephrasing of the question, and usually can pull in some of the relevant legal ideas, but completely fails to actually get the question right. Often it falls prey to the same attractive but wrong trap answers designed to punish students for memorizing but not understanding.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
So, IANAL, but if I stand in front of a court and say junk, I'm the one responsible for that, even if a robot is whispering in my ear telling me to say stuff. If my buddy Tony the not-lawyer says "just fart loudly and you're free to go", the judge shouldn't care, I'm the guy responsible for doing what I do in the court. If Tony is my lawyer and he says that, and he is representing me, then there's a chance he does take a lot of the blame.

If a chatbot is whispering telling me what to say, is it "representing" me? Not in any legal way I think. And them saying they will tell you what to say but not actually represent you or be responsible, that sounds like it will break some very old laws about misleading advertising, and it is misleading in a way that could cause repercussions including physically throwing people into jail.

And then there are legal protections that you get when talking to your lawyer, but you wouldn't when talking to your chatbot, so anything you say to it could be subpoenaed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can law enforcement subpeona the records of what you told your chatbot not-lawyer from whatever tech company is holding them?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

If a chatbot is whispering telling me what to say, is it "representing" me? Not in any legal way I think. And them saying they will tell you what to say but not actually represent you or be responsible, that sounds like it will break some very old laws about misleading advertising, and it is misleading in a way that could cause repercussions including physically throwing people into jail.

You can't practice law without a license. The chat bot is practicing law without a license in court.

This would be the same as someone who is not a lawyer being asked or paid to help a client and sitting next to them in a court room whispering in their ear. The whispering is not that "one weird trick" to not actually practicing law without a license. The judge will not be amused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

StumblyWumbly posted:

So, IANAL, but if I stand in front of a court and say junk, I'm the one responsible for that, even if a robot is whispering in my ear telling me to say stuff. If my buddy Tony the not-lawyer says "just fart loudly and you're free to go", the judge shouldn't care, I'm the guy responsible for doing what I do in the court. If Tony is my lawyer and he says that, and he is representing me, then there's a chance he does take a lot of the blame.

And then there are legal protections that you get when talking to your lawyer, but you wouldn't when talking to your chatbot, so anything you say to it could be subpoenaed.

The important thing to understand is that lawyers are a medieval guild dressed up in suits. They get to decide who is a lawyer, and who is not, and regulate their profession.

A lawyer giving you bad (i.e. harmful) advice? They'll crack down on that.

A friend who is not a lawyer giving you bad advice? They don't care.

A computer program promising to replace lawyers in court? Or, say, some tele-law system that feeds you instructions from a robot or a remote lawyer? They will fight against that tooth and nail even if it is a good idea.