Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Eimi posted:

Do you keep the skill or only regain once you hit 5 again?

You keep it if you Second Seal back into the same class. I'm not sure what happens if you Second Seal out of and then back into a class, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I wish skills either cost less SP or you got a lot more. The system is there for you to be so creative but you absolutely do not have the SP to be experimental. In order to have a chance of even getting two decent skills, feels like you have to plan it all out in advance.

It's so weird considering bond points come in no problem, making it trivial to unlock skills for your characters. Just not enough to be able to afford to inherit them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

I wish skills either cost less SP or you got a lot more. The system is there for you to be so creative but you absolutely do not have the SP to be experimental. In order to have a chance of even getting two decent skills, feels like you have to plan it all out in advance.

It's so weird considering bond points come in no problem, making it trivial to unlock skills for your characters. Just not enough to be able to afford to inherit them.

I like the idea that a unit can only get one or two really good skills so I think the SP costs are probably fine, but I think it'd be cool if they let you unlearn skills and refund the SP, even if it's only once per unit or costs a special rare/expensive "Retraining Seal" or something. Though I guess the limit of only having two skills equipped at once might be enough?

For example, I bought Dual Assist on Panette, which is cool, but since I'm not making her into a Hero it's not going to shine as much as Wrath would've and I don't know if I'm going to be able to get enough SP to get Wrath on her before endgame now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Is SP gated by difficulty? A decent chunk of FE games give you slightly less experience on Hard and way less on Maddening-level stuff, and most people here are probably playing Hard so it wouldn’t be surprising if SP gain’s staggered. Or boosted on Normal like how enemies iirc get Hit/Evade penalties, same difference.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I believe SP gain is linked to how much EXP you gain, so if you're getting less EXP on higher difficulties you're also getting less SP.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
SP gain is 100% of exp gain if you have an emblem equipped, 50% of exp gain if you have a bond ring equipped, and 0% of exp gain if you have no ring equipped.

The SP costs are definitely super overblown. Affording some of the big ticket whammy skills is the work of much of the game, and it really kicks you in the head if you maybe want to pick up some utility stuff along the way to those big ticket skills. You can absolutely make an argument that something like speedtaker is good enough that you should have to invest a whole lot of effort on getting it, but by the same token if you decide you want speedtaker you're just not interacting with the skill system on that character for 15-16 stages minimum.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 26, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I heard that but I wasn’t sure if the ratio changes since I don’t pay close attention to it, like if it’s a 1:1.20 on Normal or 1:.85 on Hard

edit: nevermind.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The best thing about Timerra's personal skill is not that it saves you from a dastardly amount of 1% crits, bur rather that since its range is big it is often active on a lot of enemies, which means it triggers the flash and noise at the start of combat, which activates the good brain neurons that go "haha, things are happening"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eimi posted:

Do you keep the skill or only regain once you hit 5 again?

You keep it. Also if you second seal to a special class, like Thief, you get reset to level 21 rather than 1.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

The best thing about Timerra's personal skill is not that it saves you from a dastardly amount of 1% crits, bur rather that since its range is big it is often active on a lot of enemies, which means it triggers the flash and noise at the start of combat, which activates the good brain neurons that go "haha, things are happening"

I really love the fact that you get those little pop ups for relevant skills proccing, like i think I popped like five at once on Alear engaged to Marth with the Christmas kids next to her

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also, someone posted that the Edelgard Emblem Attack gets buffed if it's used while standing next to whoever has the Byleth ring. AFAICT there is no similar boost for Sigurd/Leif or Ike/Micaiah, but it does in fact boost Tiki's blessing if you use it while standing next to the Marth ring. I'm guessing it's an effect limited to the DLC Emblems.

Divine Blessing+ gives a revival stone and "other effects." No specification on what those are, but I used it on an Engaged target and their remaining turns went from 2 to 3. Dunno if it gives an extra turn or resets them, but I'd hazard that it fills up the meter if used on a not engaged target.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

If you have the characters wearing them adjacent to each other in the prep screen or at the start of your turn, the stat screen reflects the upgraded engage skill and gives you more details. iirc it's a 20 HP heal if the target has no emblem equipped, +3 engage meter if synced but not engaged, and a full reset to turns remaining while engaged.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The Edelgard emblem has a skill that's costs 8500 SP lol.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah some of the skills seem to be there specifically for people who want to grind like crazy and make their team as cracked as possible. I don't think there's a way you'd ever get 8500 SP naturally on any unit.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Do we know if there’s NG+? If you can carry over stuff from playthrough to playthrough then the SP costs would make more sense.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Notty posted:

Do we know if there’s NG+? If you can carry over stuff from playthrough to playthrough then the SP costs would make more sense.

There is no NG+ or any real postgame

You can get SP scrolls from the higher floor Tempest Trials after beating the game, but at that point you don't need them because you've already cleared the meaningful content

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's worth noting that IIRC the 8500 SP skill is Str/Dex +5 which is a pretty drat chunky stat bonus, so it makes sense it's not something that you're going to be able to realistically get without going really far out of your way for it. It's also on a DLC emblem so I'm not sure it's supposed to represent like "intended play" or whatever.

The majority of skills you'd actually want to learn that are also expensive top out at like 2000 or so, which is achievable without grinding. The main thing there is that you have to be kind of picky about what skills you learn on which character because you're probably not getting more than one 2000 SP skill per unit. You're going to have to pick between like Canter+, Momentum+, and Dual Assist+ for any given unit, for example. They're build keystones, basically.

I wouldn't mind a respec/refund SP option just to allow for a bit more experimentation though, even if it has limited availability or something like that.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FrickenMoron posted:

The Edelgard emblem has a skill that's costs 8500 SP lol.

That specifically made me think there has to be some kind of SP analogue to the Silver Card in the DLC

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I just got my first master seal from the bandit stage. Haven't unlocked any other seals yet. Should I use just it immediately?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poe meater posted:

I just got my first master seal from the bandit stage. Haven't unlocked any other seals yet. Should I use just it immediately?

Yep. There's no EXP penalty for promoting in this one, it just tracks the character's internal level, and promoted classes have better growths. If you cap out later in the game you can just reset your level with a second seal and keep leveling. Promote ASAP.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

poe meater posted:

Yes

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

So I'm not really sure I "get" the main mechanic of emblems. Like another poster I originally had given them to characters it seemed thematically appropriate for (e.g. Sigurd on Alfred, etc), but this seems incorrect? Even having Sigurd on Louis means I'm not getting someone else Lance proficiencies. However, there's the arena Emblem training which you can use to speed up someone's bond. Is this mostly for getting inheritance access, like, am I wasting bond fragments doing this with people who have those emblems already equipped? I just don't really get how to optimize what I'm doing here and feel like my natural instincts to go deep on characters by theme/utility is playing this all wrong. Can anyone give me an ELI5 on, and I can't believe I'm asking this, the main mechanic of this game?

Edit: Also all my crew is like level 8, but all the skirmishes I'm getting day recommended level 11 or 12. If I go in on these am I going to have a bad time?

Syrnn fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 26, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tae posted:

Slight length spoiler: No, you still have 6 more chapters to go barring remaining paralogues

Went to bed before you posted this but thanks, good to know.

Is there any kind of "post-game" ala FE8 where you can just wander around the map with your endgame team doing skirmishes/tower of trials?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Syrnn posted:

So I'm not really sure I "get" the main mechanic of emblems. Like another poster I originally had given them to characters it seemed thematically appropriate for (e.g. Sigurd on Alfred, etc), but this seems incorrect? Even having Sigurd on Louis means I'm not getting someone else Lance proficiencies. However, there's the arena Emblem training which you can use to speed up someone's bond. Is this mostly for getting inheritance access, like, am I wasting bond fragments doing this with people who have those emblems already equipped? I just don't really get how to optimize what I'm doing here and feel like my natural instincts to go deep on characters by theme/utility is playing this all wrong. Can anyone give me an ELI5 on, and I can't believe I'm asking this, the main mechanic of this game?

Literally do whatever you want. More lance proficiencies for your lance god? Good. Wanna give Boucheron a lance to deal with sword users? Good. Wanna put it on your healer so they have a billion movement and Canter to get out after healing? Okay this one might be a bit suboptimal but on hard it's probably still workable. Live your best life.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Syrnn posted:

My advice would be to not worry too much about which emblems "belong" with which units. Put them on wherever they'd seem most useful in the moment. You can always raise bond ranks in the arena if you need to.

And yeah, don't worry at all about weapon proficiencies. You can get them just by spending bond fragments in the arena, they don't even cost SP. It takes less than a minute to get any unit any weapon proficiency you want. This is the main use of bond fragments--it's relatively cheap and you'll get tons of bond fragments as you go. So you're not "wasting" them on raising bond ranks. It's their primary purpose.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Syrnn posted:

bond fragments are pretty plentiful so if you want inheritance for weapon proficiency or skills you can just spend them on that. bonds build up very quickly in actual combat. so basically, dont worry that hard about 'optimizing the builds' or whatever. there's no actual longterm penalty for having sigurd on louis because if you want lance proficiency you can just spend 1k bond fragments in a game where you get 2k-4k per battle.

just, do what you want. engages are powerful on just about anyone. optimizing it isnt actually that important unless you're playing on maddening, and even on maddening theres a lot of options.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Syrnn posted:

Edit: Also all my crew is like level 8, but all the skirmishes I'm getting day recommended level 11 or 12. If I go in on these am I going to have a bad time?

Seconding what everyone has said about playing fast and loose with Emblem distribution, but to touch on this:

Skirmishes will generally always slightly outlevel you, depending on how much so they can range from ‘pretty tough’ to ‘oh god everyone is dead what do you mean im out of turnwheels’, so just look at what’s on the map and try to gauge if your team can handle it, bearing in mind that Emblem usage can wildly swing things in your favor.

Note that ‘training’ skirmishes (ie ones where you’re not fighting bandits or corrupted) operate under casual mode rules even if you’re playing classic, so nobody is permadead, but everyone that survives gets bonus XP.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

You use what you find cool. You can raise Bond levels at any time for real cheap in the Arena so there’s not much reason to worry about optimization. (Unless you wasted all your Bond fragments buying Bond Rings or something) Multiple things are really powerful this time around (it’s not like 3H where if you’re physical you probably want to be a Wyvern Lord) and you are encouraged to experiment.

Proficiencies are weird because all they’re relevant for is Class Changing and doubling up on a proficiency is, from what I can tell, entirely meaningless.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Really big fan that asking someone out for tea is the most salacious thing possible in the Fire Emblem world

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Has anyone engaged much in the fishing mini game? It feels very difficult even on the baby fish, and I just got the rank 2 rod and it feels impossible to even reel in any of those higher tier fish. They are so fast and you pulling back barely does anything to the point I wonder if I'm missing something crucial. Sommie's assist also doesn't matter because they regain that 50% hp like it's nothing. Like I tilt the stick in the opposite way the fish it going, but it has such a little effect and feels so sensitive that even the slightest wrong angle fucks you. Is it just something that you should only do docked because the joycons don't feel up to the task?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Syrnn posted:

bond fragments are in very high supply, you don’t really need to worry that much.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I never had any problems with fishing, I only ever lost one fish and that was A) a giant 'boss' fish and B) I know why they escaped, because I pressed A too many times when the fish was no longer stunned.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I never had any problems with fishing, I only ever lost one fish and that was A) a giant 'boss' fish and B) I know why they escaped, because I pressed A too many times when the fish was no longer stunned.

Do you have to like push down on the stick while holding it back? What is the secret?!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pretty sure this is my favorite forging system so far and Engraving is a really drat cool system. Also anyone who hasn’t forged a knife, please do so to see true power.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

As of Chapter 10, Yunaka is my MVP by a country mile.

She kicks rear end and is easily my favorite character in the game.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I tried Eirika’s paralogue and that poo poo is no joke. The first time I’ve had to go “I’m going to come back later and hope for a better chance of not getting my teeth kicked in.”

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eimi posted:

Do you have to like push down on the stick while holding it back? What is the secret?!

The fish should be consistently being pulled downwards if you're doing it right. You may be pulling it too much to the side and not down. There's nothing else involved at that stage other than holding it in the correct direction (and then mashing a while stunned).

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

So I tried Eirika’s paralogue and that poo poo is no joke. The first time I’ve had to go “I’m going to come back later and hope for a better chance of not getting my teeth kicked in.”

This happened to me with Lyn. I was playing slow and defensive and then Lyn said ‘actually, stationary bosses are cringe I wanna murder the gently caress out of you RIGHT NOW’ and then she Astra Stormed Ivy from 20 tiles away and it only got worse from there.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Terper posted:

The fish should be consistently being pulled downwards if you're doing it right. You may be pulling it too much to the side and not down. There's nothing else involved at that stage other than holding it in the correct direction (and then mashing a while stunned).

Playing docked or handheld? I've been trying to do them handheld and I wonder if that's my problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Eimi posted:

Playing docked or handheld? I've been trying to do them handheld and I wonder if that's my problem.

I had trouble with my first fish too (also handheld) but was fine after that. My problem was that either the UI or your brain is just straight up lying to you; you're only actually using what feels like maybe 10% of the total circumference of the stick, and if you veer too far off to either side it doesn't register at all regardless of how well you're otherwise lined up with the fish.

Basically, ignore what "feels" right and just watch the fish.