Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

According to UPI | Number of MLB Players by Nationality:

United States of America - 525
Dominican Republic - 90
Venezuela - 53
Cuba - 20
Puerto Rico - 19
Mexico - 8
Canada - 6
Japan - 6
Curacao - 5
South Korea - 5
Colombia - 4
Germany - 2
Australia, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Aruba, Brazil, Panama - 1

So the MLB players are not really coming from the West Indies cricket countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

more falafel please posted:

I'm thinking about trying to go to Miami for the WBC semifinals, but I need to be in San Francisco on the 21st at the latest.

This brings up an interesting point. I'm trying to eventually visit all the MLB ballparks (18/30 so far). I haven't done Miami or Phoenix yet. If I see a WBC game, does that count? I'm at an MLB park watching baseball, but it's not MLB baseball.

You get to decide!!!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

kensei posted:

What the gently caress

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-did-bobby-abreu-have-a-better-mlb-career-than-ichiro-suzuki/

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I agree he should be in but I don’t care about the ring or the perfect game in this context.

Much more impressive is his consistency and durability (along with how fast he worked). 14 straight seasons of 200 IP is a remarkable achievement in the 21st century. And he only missed it his final year by 4 outs.

I agree that those things you mentioned should also factor in too

I suspect he will get some support due to being a nice guy and all the above, but I don't think he will get in and will probably hang around on the ballot for a few years in like the mid 30s or 40s percentage

Paracaidas posted:

I mean, sure, a perfect game is great and all but it has nothing on this

duration: 1:52

Look who the winning pitcher was :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1618604142905430017

Drive relief pitchers to the mound in the Fram-mobile

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

get this the hell outta here. I'm not even gonna read that garbage

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mdemone posted:

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive this stupid uninformed question:

But are there many Caribbean players in Major League Baseball nowadays? Has there been a trend towards more/less of them? Are any of them famous/good?

I ask because the West Indies used to be a cricketing powerhouse, but have been poo poo for more than a decade now. And one of the theories is that young people are choosing Baseball as their sport of choice, (or at least the sport of a professional pathway), instead of the far far superior Test Cricket, Who doesn't love a sport that lasts 5 days and sometimes nobody wins?

Again apologies if this question is stupid or ignorant, or worse rude.

Young people choose baseball because baseball is the greatest game known to man and cricket is some weird nonsense that takes a fortnight with mandatory tea time and breaks for updates on the Royal family hth

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

maffew buildings posted:

cricket is some weird nonsense that takes a fortnight with mandatory tea time and breaks for updates on the Royal family hth

Test cricket owns. Sorry you don't like good things.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ronald Acuña socked a dinger in the VWL playoffs last night and celebrated it really hard.
https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1618103408543805441
This made somebody so mad they started fighting his family in the stands, and now he says he's retired from Venezuelan ball forever (he was already expected not to play in the WBC).
https://twitter.com/AngelinoR/status/1618097657611976705

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

AlbertFlasher posted:

Look at this psyop- Hulk Hogan avatar but likes cricket. No thanks, pal!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We fixed cricket and made it into a credible sport and now we have to hear dudes talk about how week long games that end in a tie are better. No one wears bucket hats in baseball! Collared shirt rear end sport.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Ronald Acuña socked a dinger in the VWL playoffs last night and celebrated it really hard.
https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1618103408543805441
This made somebody so mad they started fighting his family in the stands, and now he says he's retired from Venezuelan ball forever (he was already expected not to play in the WBC).
https://twitter.com/AngelinoR/status/1618097657611976705

Between this and Cabrera clotheslining that guy, it's been a bad winter for the "It's part of their culture" argument.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

How many center fielders were better than Dawson during the 80’s, where he was an 8x All Star? How is he not among the best at his position during his career?
Here's the simplest case I can make for Dawson:

At the time he retired, he was the 8th best "center fielder" all time by WAR.
His career WAR was more than Dave Winfield, a first ballot Hall of Famer, who also had a long career (Winfield had over 2,000 more plate appearances).
If you're going by JAWs, ask yourself if you think OG Billy Hamilton and Richie Ashburn belong in the HoF. Dawson falls in between the 2 of them when compared to center fielders. (Dawson's, WAR7 brings down his JAWS score a bit).
Among right fielders, Dawson is behind Tony Gwynn and in front of Mookie Betts.

By fWAR, from '76-'96, he was the 5th best outfielder.

Statistically, Andre Dawson belongs in the Hall of Fame.
At the time he retired, and for the entirety of his time on the ballot, people were just looking at offensive numbers. When you adjust for position and include the years when he was a great center fielder, his case improves dramatically.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

We fixed cricket and made it into a credible sport and now we have to hear dudes talk about how week long games that end in a tie are better. No one wears bucket hats in baseball! Collared shirt rear end sport.
Hey careful knocking collared shirt uniforms, baseball used to have them at various times

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

70s were truly the greatest era of baseball

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

AlbertFlasher posted:

I had a business trip to India a long time ago and our hosts taught us about cricket while we were there. It was suuuuper fun to watch. I forgot all of it almost immediately.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Wouldn't want to be the baseball fan whose friends all know he's responsible for Ronald Acuna never playing Venezuelan ball again

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cricket is cool, it’s like inverted baseball: instead of outs being common and runs being rare, this is reversed.

And I have no idea how they field that hard rear end ball without gloves

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Wouldn't want to be the baseball fan whose friends all know he's responsible for Ronald Acuna never playing Venezuelan ball again

Imagine if you could get Aaron Judge out of MLB by beating up a Yankees fan...

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Braves would've shut it down eventually anyway.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

GoutPatrol posted:

Dominican Republic - 90
Venezuela - 53
Cuba - 20
Puerto Rico - 19
Mexico - 8
Canada - 6
Japan - 6
Curacao - 5
South Korea - 5
Colombia - 4
Germany - 2

So the MLB players are not really coming from the West Indies cricket countries.

Who's the player from Saudi Arabia?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That list is also missing Honduran mega star and world series champ Mauricio Dubon

oof another huge L for the A's fanbase

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

Dominican Republic - 90
Venezuela - 53
Cuba - 20
Puerto Rico - 19
Mexico - 8
Canada - 6
Japan - 6
Curacao - 5
South Korea - 5
Colombia - 4
Germany - 2

Where's Peru for Luzardo :colbert:

Yes I know his parents are Venezuelan but he was born in Lima

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Nodoze posted:

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

kensei posted:

What the gently caress

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Test is Best but T20 is a pale imitation trying to reach for the heights baseball achieved in the 1970s.

Baseball owns. Stick sport supremacy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Intruder posted:

Where's Peru for Luzardo :colbert:

Yes I know his parents are Venezuelan but he was born in Lima

He was born in Odessa, so he’s Russian

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

zoux posted:

That list is also missing Honduran mega star and world series champ Mauricio Dubon

Not surprising, unfortunately :(

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

mdemone posted:

That’s not a knock on Ichiro, it’s just validation that Abreu was hella underrated. They both belong in the Hall.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

BigDumper posted:

That’s not a knock on Ichiro, it’s just validation that Abreu was hella underrated. They both belong in the Hall.

Wow, another perfect take

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

The A's are the perfect team for a guy who is constantly stripping payroll to the bone and then being shocked when poo poo stops working

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh wait, no, it's the faulty wiring that's shocking him.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

Cricket is cool, it’s like inverted baseball: instead of outs being common and runs being rare, this is reversed.

And I have no idea how they field that hard rear end ball without gloves

The highest exit velocity of a sixer in cricket is 17kph slower than the *average* home run. The ball is usually going a lot slower. It still stings like hell and the backstop still usually wears gloves, but it mostly comes down to that. I still wouldn't want to be trying to grab a liner on the fly, though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

The A's are the perfect team for a guy who is constantly stripping payroll to the bone and then being shocked when poo poo stops working

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
The writers would be nuts not to put in C.C. pretty quick. He is on the right side of the line numbers-wise and I think his public celebration of Black baseball ought to give him a boost. This is a canonization of Thomas Aquinas situation here. The league has a big racial divide problem, you have a deserving Black player who has criticized the league for it, you should quickly induct him.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

BigDumper posted:

I agree with you here, thanks for the sanity in a sea of crazy.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

The highest exit velocity of a sixer in cricket is 17kph slower than the *average* home run. The ball is usually going a lot slower. It still stings like hell and the backstop still usually wears gloves, but it mostly comes down to that. I still wouldn't want to be trying to grab a liner on the fly, though.
Wow that is not what I would have expected considering the ball is hard and the bats are flat, I figured the ball would have a higher COR and the flat bat would lead to high quality contact.

Google says the COR of a cricket and baseball are both about 0.55-0.58 (Manfred's deadball aside). So I guess the difference must be batspeed. Cricket bats are 36-48oz while baseball bats tend to max out around 36oz these days, plus are more aerodynamic being skinny and round instead of wide and flat.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

Wow that is not what I would have expected considering the ball is hard and the bats are flat, I figured the ball would have a higher COR and the flat bat would lead to high quality contact.

Google says the COR of a cricket and baseball are both about 0.55-0.58 (Manfred's deadball aside). So I guess the difference must be batspeed. Cricket bats are 36-48oz while baseball bats tend to max out around 36oz these days, plus are more aerodynamic being skinny and round instead of wide and flat.

I think it's mostly down to the awkward angles batsmen have to take.

Cricket, strategically, feels a lot like what would happen if the shift wasn't just allowed but taken to the extreme. It's like 98% trying to intentionally hitting it where they ain't, while the defense is doing as much as possible to be in the best possible position for the hitters tendencies while acknowledging that they can't be everywhere and just conceding that they might get got.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Reiche posted:

I’ll do you one better!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200504160.shtml
1:39

I was at this game, and I don’t think my dad and I ever even had time to get up from our seats.

lol the Mariners had three hits and they were all Ichiro

edit: jeez both pitchers' lines were amazing! Franklin went 8 innings only giving up 2 solo shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1618683354995642369

Oh thank christ

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1618682049044570112

The Houston sports awards were last night and Crane was getting pelted with questions about the GM search and he was all "oh no timeline, no decision yet"

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 26, 2023