Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Totally work safe: Tank brutally disables Russian troop carrier

https://twitter.com/bigSAC10/status/1618609882504257537

Situation awareness is massively reduced but that is comical, go gun front and release the grips is my goto when I'm doing very tight manoeuvring, that's an incredibly lazy gunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Situation awareness is massively reduced but that is comical, go gun front and release the grips is my goto when I'm doing very tight manoeuvring, that's an incredibly lazy gunner.

This screams ”three untrained mobniks just got a tank”

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Valtonen posted:

This screams ”three untrained mobniks just got a tank”

Yup--it looks like my 6 year old is commanding that tank.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022
Just realized that camo netting it brushed off the BMP was actually 6 dudes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Scrungus posted:

Just realized that camo netting it brushed off the BMP was actually 6 dudes.

That's ablative armor, not camo netting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Lmao

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
reactionary armor

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

reactionary armor

:hmmyes:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
What are the general expectations of performance for western tanks once they become available to AFU?
Abrams was used extensively in various Middle East adventures so there’s some sort of baseline, but how battle tested are Leo and challenger?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
No clue about the challenger but Turkey managed to get a surprising number of leopards (2A4s afaik) blown up in Syria. the worst loss was in al-bab where they managed to lose 8-10 leopards. Modern ATGMs worked well enough against them, though the fighting around al-bab was a clusterfuck and the anti tank missile crews in Syria were extremely experienced.

Turkey's earliest losses were because they rolled into Syria before fully appreciating just how hot the war was and some sloppy use of the tanks was quickly punished, I think to the surprise of almost everyone. Later losses were more due to intensity of the operations and were mostly lost to ATGMs and a few to IEDs.

Ironically Russia had a similar problem when they first went into Syria and after losing some of their fancier tanks in the first months, they started using their tanks very conservatively. Later on the t90s were almost never seen outside of defensive lines and they were almost always dug in or behind significant berms. Even then ATGM crews were still managing to hit tanks that were almost entirely in defilade. Syria becoming such an ATGM filled shitshow was a lot of the reason why Russian involvement shifted towards air strikes.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6nZvDn6gRQ

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 26, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

A.o.D. posted:

Ablative Mobiks

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pretty sure the brits took the Challenger to Iraq. Now what kind of action it would have encountered around Basra compared to Abrams in the triangle, no idea.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Btw my sense is that Turkey's experience fighting ISIS probably is not especially useful in any predictive way for the experience Ukraine will have against Russia. I don't say that in the sense that one will be more or less lethal (albeit presumably a peer conflict is going to be far more destructive to everyone involved), but ZSU is emphatically not the Turkish military and Russia fights nothing like ISIS

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Pretty sure the brits took the Challenger to Iraq. Now what kind of action it would have encountered around Basra compared to Abrams in the triangle, no idea.

I read a tome called "The Changing of the Guard" about the modern British military post 9/11 and apparently they were assigned Basra because they didn't have the logistics or maintenance capabilities to go any further.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

psydude posted:

I read a tome called "The Changing of the Guard" about the modern British military post 9/11 and apparently they were assigned Basra because they didn't have the logistics or maintenance capabilities to go any further.

Peace Dividend!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

psydude posted:

Dang that’s interesting. I read how in 1945 when their army was effectively out of manpower to draft as after six years of trying to fight a global war the UK didn’t have more guys to send, so when they had casualties they weren’t easy to replace. Also recall apparently the USSR was running low on new men to draft near the end as well? I know we have the image of Soviet manpower being limitless but wonder how more army groups they could have lost in 41-42 until there weren’t replacements.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1618745965787348994

Ukraine is getting M1A2s, possibly the SEPv3 variant with the new APU for reduced fuel consumption. Won't have the SAP plating (GDLS refuses to export SAP plating), but having the best sights in the world should mean that you're not going to need to worry about getting hit, since you're going to be hitting them first.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 27, 2023

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
As an armor officer that went to a Stryker brigade, ABOLC Abrams familiarization was the only time I ever spent any time around them.

Our foreign exchange officers had to use the A1 because a lot of the tech in the A2s is classified and one day I had to be the 4th crewman for them. It was noticeably archaic compared to the A2, despite the 2 models looking superficially similar.

Kind of like waking up one day and being deaf and blind in one eye.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

orange juche posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1618745965787348994

Ukraine is getting M1A2s, possibly the SEPv3 variant with the new APU for reduced fuel consumption. Won't have the SAP plating (GDLS refuses to export SAP plating), but having the best sights in the world should mean that you're not going to need to worry about getting hit, since you're going to be hitting them first.

Really pleased to see Ukraine getting the (mostly) good toys. GJ America (for once).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mustang posted:

As an armor officer that went to a Stryker brigade, ABOLC Abrams familiarization was the only time I ever spent any time around them.

Our foreign exchange officers had to use the A1 because a lot of the tech in the A2s is classified and one day I had to be the 4th crewman for them. It was noticeably archaic compared to the A2, despite the 2 models looking superficially similar.

Kind of like waking up one day and being deaf and blind in one eye.

I don't know how much of the fancy equipment they're going to include, since a fair amount of the situational awareness equipment depends on data links and support from other US assets on the battlefield. If they give them The Good poo poo though, they'll have a decisive advantage on the battlefield.

Still, the sights are some of the best in the world, and the gun is no slouch either.

E: We're not likely to see Ukrainian Abarams in 2023 though, the Lima Tank Plant is fully booked with orders for Poland and Taiwan through 2024. Government procurement is a hell of a thing. Since they can't/wont export the DU Chobham armor for the Ukrainian tanks, they can't get them over there in any sort of speedy timeframe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8DG7OSQG4

This did make the rounds on US government networks though and did get some chuckles. Kinda curious if the video Ukraine made had any impact on the decision to send Abrams? Memes have power after all.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 27, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I feel like this is something you, as the president and associated staff, make so e phone calls to GDLS, get to the front of the line, and then start making polite phone calls to the customers who don't need the warmachines just yet.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I feel like this is something you, as the president and associated staff, make so e phone calls to GDLS, get to the front of the line, and then start making polite phone calls to the customers who don't need the warmachines just yet.

That would require a lot of diplomatic wrangling. The Polish tanks are to replace all of the T-72's Poland sent to Ukraine, and the ink is dry on that agreement between the US and Poland, and the Taiwanese ones are for when the Chinese get froggy and decide to hop the strait, because that is coming (who knows when, but it will come, Xi can't not try something, all dictators need a legacy). Both of these are pretty high priority customers.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
unfortunately Taiwan in particular but very likely also Poland have extremely pressing security interests. Poland's is arguably a bit less urgent, but they also have shipped over a significant portion of their soviet model tanks to Ukraine over the last year.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

LightRailTycoon posted:

Is the Icelandic romance subplot 200 pages?

Uggghh. That was overall a pretty readable book except for the "hot pregnant Icelandic rape victim falls in love with zoomie weatherman who earns the respect of the leathernecks by killing POWs" part.

Mustang posted:

Out of curiousity- I wonder if this was a career impediment? Like limiting your options in the future at all? Kinda like how I always hear that once you go Gator Navy you're stuck there forever?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

GD_American posted:

Uggghh. That was overall a pretty readable book except for the "hot pregnant Icelandic rape victim falls in love with zoomie weatherman who earns the respect of the leathernecks by killing POWs" part.

Out of curiousity- I wonder if this was a career impediment? Like limiting your options in the future at all? Kinda like how I always hear that once you go Gator Navy you're stuck there forever?

He smoke weed now in Seattle with all the hippies.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Interesting piece in Meduza about post military support and mental health care in Russia

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2023/01/27/i-go-to-war-in-my-sleep

From talking to Russians, even before the war, therapy in Russia was hard to come by in a timely way and had a fair amount of stigma around it.

few excerpts

quote:

In the same session, Dmitry mentioned that in his nightmares, he’s fighting not against Ukrainian soldiers but against mercenaries. Before he left, the therapist asked him, “Wait, why are you fighting mercenaries?” Dmitry responded honestly: “I can’t dream about Ukrainian soldiers, because I never saw any.”

quote:

Because the camp was close the combat zone, Dmitry also had shellfire to worry about. “One time, a HIMARS [strike] hit us. After that, I started jolting awake at night,” he says. “Ever since then, I’ve been going to war in my sleep. I wake up after I die in the dream, but then I spend another 5–10 seconds searching around for a grenade or a machine gun.”

quote:

47-year-old Sergey grew up in Russia but spent several years living in Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia reason, and his wife had numerous Ukrainian relatives. Nonetheless, in March, he decided to join Russia’s 141st Special Motorized Regiment, also known as the “Kadyrovites,” to help “liberate Mariupol,” in his words.

For his first few weeks in Ukraine, Sergey had no cell service or Internet. When he finally managed to call home in April, he learned that his wife had filed for divorce; several of her family members had joined the Ukrainian military, and she decided she could no longer be married to a Russian soldier.

In May, Sergey’s deployment ended, and he returned to Russia. After attending a friend’s funeral, he tried to settle back into civilian life, but found himself haunted by insomnia and nightmares.

“Mariupol was a real meat grinder,” he said. “When I came back home, I spent 10 days in a stupor, drinking wine and cognac, because I couldn’t get to sleep. I wasn’t a heavy drinker before the war, but now it was a necessity.”

Nothing especially unsurprising in there, mostly just describing ptsd, but still interesting. I remain grateful that I can't imagine how lovely it must be to wake up to a missile hitting the building you're in.

(longer version in Russian https://verstka.media/ptsr-psihologicheskaya-reabilitaciya-voevavshih-v-ukraine/ )

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 27, 2023

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That is some incredibly bleak stuff.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

GD_American posted:

Not at all, at the time the majority of armor LTs would go on to be a scout platoon leader, even a decent amount of the ones going to the armor brigades. I know several O4s and O5s that have spent their entire careers in either infantry or stryker brigades. My squadron never had more than 2 or 3 officers at most with tanker experience.

There was a bit of a culture clash with some of the older armor officers though, who were mostly tankers. While I was in ABOLC the Chief of Armor (a brigadier general) rounded up all of us armor LTs and captains and scolded us for being overly attached to the cavalry identity rather than as tankers.

Other than the 2 weeks or so of Abrams familiarization the rest of my training was entirely reconnaissance focussed.

edit: to be a bit more clear, the armor branch is like 2 career tracks in one for officers, tanks and reconnaissance. With 19D cavalry scout and 19K armor crewman as the enlisted armor branch career fields.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 27, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nuclear Tourist posted:

That is some incredibly bleak stuff.

Russian History. There’s always more, and it’s always bleaker.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
When a Russian self describes as a heavy drinker...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0wyzF7iv0w

bit old, but b-roll and breakdown of the AT-4 turret guy from back in September (narrated by AT-4 guy), where the American dude was screaming for .50 cal and getting AT-4 tubes instead.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Paraphrasing: "Its kinda my own fault - I told them if I start yelling its because [theres a BMP/BTR] and to pass me an AT-4"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang that’s interesting. I read how in 1945 when their army was effectively out of manpower to draft as after six years of trying to fight a global war the UK didn’t have more guys to send, so when they had casualties they weren’t easy to replace. Also recall apparently the USSR was running low on new men to draft near the end as well? I know we have the image of Soviet manpower being limitless but wonder how more army groups they could have lost in 41-42 until there weren’t replacements.

I definitely recommend checking it out. It's very well researched and written, and includes a number of interviews with folks all the way from the company level up to the MoD. It spans immediately pre-war as the UK was winding down its presence in Germany, to the build up to Iraq, to Afghanistan, the Iraq surge, and everything in-between.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Paraphrasing: "Its kinda my own fault - I told them if I start yelling its because [theres a BMP/BTR] and to pass me an AT-4"

Yeah, he trained the Ukrainian dudes and drilled it into their lizard brain that if he's smacking on the turret and screaming they're about to get loving obliterated by a 30mm autocannon, and in combat your adrenaline is up and you fall back on training.

Where a more experienced soldier would be able to hear the gunner screaming "50! 50! Ammo! 50!" and deduce that he needs the cans full of 50 cal ammo and pass it up, the Ukrainian dudes were mostly green and terrified about going into close combat with a unit with expected armor support and their brain fell back on the drilled exercise of passing up AT4 tubes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I know I’m not going to get a bullet-proof cited answer, but how prevalent is English competency in Ukraine? Normal dispersion of randos who happen to learn a foreign language?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

MrYenko posted:

I know I’m not going to get a bullet-proof cited answer, but how prevalent is English competency in Ukraine? Normal dispersion of randos who happen to learn a foreign language?

Google is telling me over 60% speak english. This might be on the high side as google is also telling me that Europe, in general, has 38% that speak english (German is the next most popular language).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

As with everywhere in Europe, the younger Ukrainians that I know (under age 40) tend to speak English much better, owing to a combination of the prevalence of English-language streaming content, online gaming, and instruction in primary/secondary education.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
almost positive the number is nowhere near 60%. it's pretty common among younger/urban/educated people and I'm told it's been a fairly popular language to learn to improve your career/emigration prospects going back all the way to the 90s, but even then I don't believe it has ever been anywhere near 60%.

i suspect someone got the russian/ukrainian numbers mixed up. which are closer to that percentage and which easily get confusing because seemingly small changes in the question will get wildly different answers

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 27, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Herstory Begins Now posted:

almost positive the number is nowhere near 60%. it's pretty common among younger/urban/educated people and I'm told it's been a fairly popular language to learn to improve your career/emigration prospects going back all the way to the 90s, but even then I don't believe it has ever been anywhere near 60%.

I have a few Eastern European friends and they all speak English really well largely due to being in the IT industry, and yeah they've largely said the same: If you wanted to get out of whatever Eastern European hole you were in, English was the ticket out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
60% seems about in the ballpark, you’re going to have variability in actual competence.