Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I assume the Dark Zone in The Division is balanced around multiplayer? Because I was pretty overwhelmed as soon as I stepped in. I got my rear end kicked by multiple groups of elite enemies. I eventually managed to get some extractions, but it was a whole lot of effort for pretty average loot. I was solo because I think no one in my level range was playing (not surprising given the game’s age).

It was still fun though.

Yeah that's the PVP zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Austin Walker wrote a good post about this exact thing. They have a whole world with interesting villains and allusions to deep mysteries and they go "haha this is so laaaaame" like a teenager being asked to roleplay in a school project or something.

https://www.clockworkworlds.com/post-cringe/

"It takes itself too seriously" is my most loathed complaint about any kind of fiction media, because it's basically asking for exactly this kind of dialogue or a fart joke or something to break any instance of drama, worldbuilding, and plot tension.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR8GVePOdpY

Did this "Gameplay Deep Dive" get posted already? Making my way through it now.

There was lots of discussion about whether this is or isn't a "looter shooter" and I had always been leaning towards no, it's not, it's just a game with vaugely statsy weapons like in Fallout rather than Borderlands. Rarity tiers that are all obviously better than the lower tiers, but not like you're rolling 10 different tiers of multiple affixes

Like everything seems a pretty "human" multiple of 5 for almost all values, except for the Vampire blood with kinda arbitrary 9% damage reduction. But again I really don't get the sense that this game is really rolling item drops like a looter game.

Loot discussion aside, I still can't make up my mind on this game. It's Arkane, so I'm almost surely going to buy it -- but my big concern is how much does the game suck playing solo? Either you game is designed around playing as a party or it isn't, it's very hard to design a game for both. Also it seems confused as to how spooky it wants to be. Like so much of the imagery is dark and scary, but then like your flashlight lights up the whole drat room why even have it be dark if it only obscures the absolute edges of your screen :shrug:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sab669 posted:

There was lots of discussion about whether this is or isn't a "looter shooter" and I had always been leaning towards no, it's not, it's just a game with vaugely statsy weapons like in Fallout rather than Borderlands. Rarity tiers that are all obviously better than the lower tiers, but not like you're rolling 10 different tiers of multiple affixes

Like everything seems a pretty "human" multiple of 5 for almost all values, except for the Vampire blood with kinda arbitrary 9% damage reduction. But again I really don't get the sense that this game is really rolling item drops like a looter game.

Loot discussion aside, I still can't make up my mind on this game. It's Arkane, so I'm almost surely going to buy it -- but my big concern is how much does the game suck playing solo? Either you game is designed around playing as a party or it isn't, it's very hard to design a game for both. Also it seems confused as to how spooky it wants to be. Like so much of the imagery is dark and scary, but then like your flashlight lights up the whole drat room why even have it be dark if it only obscures the absolute edges of your screen :shrug:

What does Rate of Fire actually mean when a burst fire assault rifle has 0.35 and a semi-auto shotgun has 0.97 and a flare gun has 0.43? Why does the flare gun not have a Rating Number? What does the Rating Number actually mean? Why does the Flare Gun shatter petrified enemies 25% faster? It's a single shot weapon! It's not shattering petrified enemies in one hit?

I just really don't want to see color coded loot drops in my Arkane games. I found it annoying in Deathloop as well. All of this ticky-tacky nonsense just doesn't seem like it's going to add anything positive to gameplay.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm so sick of sorting piles of trash based on number spreadsheets. It feels like the shittiest loving job.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sab669 posted:

that all looks like a looter shooter to me complete with perks that are so miniscule that they'll feel invisible

the guns even have level requirements

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 26, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sab669 posted:

"4 player co-op looter shooter" makes me hiss like a vampire in the sunlight

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ll get the game if I can play it on my steam deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll get the game if I can play it on my steam deck.

What kind of frame rate are you getting with the Division 1?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

What kind of frame rate are you getting with the Division 1?

I have it set to a locked 40 and I haven’t noticed any dips.

The division 2 seems harder to run though but you could probably maintain a locked 40 with low and medium settings.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I like the concept of redfall but I’m sus that the highly stat-driven aspect of loot games will mesh with arkane’s usual gameplay design where you have a lot of impactful options. are you ever going to be just unable to stealth kill a vampire because your silenced pistol is too low level, so your options are actually constrained by stat junk? but if you can always simply instakill them in a headshot regardless of stats, will it still feel meaningful to get new loot?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I already didn’t love loot tiers in Deathloop.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't care about loot tiers, but what I don't like is over-emphasizing the raw numerics of it all. They could literally just replace "9% resistance to melee damage" with "Minor resistance to melee damage" and it would feel a million times better. It's half placebo anyway since 9% melee resistance vs 5% or 12% is not likely to change your outcomes very often. I really hate the overall "power number" concept because at that point it just feels like you might as well not have varied weapon power at all and keep the upgrades completely on the player side if you're just going to have a linear progression of straight upgrades.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I already didn’t love loot tiers in Deathloop.

They certainly didn't improve on the game, yea.

The 7th Guest posted:

that all looks like a looter shooter to me complete with perks that are so miniscule that they'll feel invisible

the guns even have level requirements

But again, it does not like they're serving you up a randomly generated shotgun with Increases To Spacebucks Finding, Bonuses to Strength, Bonuses to Damage, and Elemental Resistance and whatever other random rear end stats you'd typically see in looter style games. It looks more like a person or 5 came up with a bunch of different weapons, then said "OK so what bonuses does %specific item% get at Uncommon, Rare, and Legendary?" To me that's the big distinction if something's a looter. Is the intent of the game to have you perpetually killing tons of poo poo to find the perfectly rolled item to make Number Go Up, or does your game have item rarities because it's a trendy concept in game design

AngryBooch posted:

What does Rate of Fire actually mean when a burst fire assault rifle has 0.35 and a semi-auto shotgun has 0.97 and a flare gun has 0.43? Why does the flare gun not have a Rating Number? What does the Rating Number actually mean? Why does the Flare Gun shatter petrified enemies 25% faster? It's a single shot weapon! It's not shattering petrified enemies in one hit?

I just really don't want to see color coded loot drops in my Arkane games. I found it annoying in Deathloop as well. All of this ticky-tacky nonsense just doesn't seem like it's going to add anything positive to gameplay.

Gonna guess ROF is the unit of time you need to wait between shots/bursts. Lower is better, obviously, which is why a shotgun's number is bigger. Good question about the Flare Gun, though maybe the Flare = a DOT that interacts with Petrified things.

Volte posted:

They could literally just replace "9% resistance to melee damage" with "Minor resistance to melee damage" and it would feel a million times better. It's half placebo anyway since 9% melee resistance vs 5% or 12% is not likely to change your outcomes very often.

Massively disagree on the first part, I hate when games just give a vague nonanswer. May as well just put, "I dunno go check the wiki you fuckin nerd" :colbert:

But yea, such small numbers further make me think it's not a looter and it's just there because trendy. It's like half the company doesn't want it and so they implement it in small quantities so the players who hate this poo poo can ignore it.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 26, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sab669 posted:

But again, it does not like they're serving you up a randomly generated shotgun with Increases To Spacebucks Finding, Bonuses to Strength, Bonuses to Damage, and Elemental Resistance and whatever other random rear end stats you'd typically see in looter style games.
we agree to disagree because that's EXACTLY what it looks like to me

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Volte posted:

I don't care about loot tiers, but what I don't like is over-emphasizing the raw numerics of it all. They could literally just replace "9% resistance to melee damage" with "Minor resistance to melee damage" and it would feel a million times better. It's half placebo anyway since 9% melee resistance vs 5% or 12% is not likely to change your outcomes very often. I really hate the overall "power number" concept because at that point it just feels like you might as well not have varied weapon power at all and keep the upgrades completely on the player side if you're just going to have a linear progression of straight upgrades.

no way man screw this, not telling the player the difference between a "minor resistance to melee damage" and "major resistance to melee damage" is something like 9% and 10% or 9% and 50% is stupid and hiding it from them just means someone has to go through the added effort of datamining it out

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and that's not even taking into account something produced by a developer like fatshark where in all possibility the "minor resistance to melee damage" actually gives you resistance to melee damage and the "major resistance to melee damage" might actually double the amount of damage you take from attacks

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm not saying they have to hide the data from you if you want it, just don't make it the thing on the tooltip that turns red or green to tell you whether to pick up the item.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i always like looking up an old console RPG on gamefaqs and reading something like "by the way the evasion stat does literally nothing because it was not properly coded into the game"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All of that loot for sure looks randomly rolled to me. you are going to see that same shotgun fifty times but this one has a damage bonus to burning enemies and this one has a damage bonus to petrified enemies. The actual % on the damage bonus may or may not be a random roll vs. being a set number tied to the modifier.

Cowcaster posted:

no way man screw this, not telling the player the difference between a "minor resistance to melee damage" and "major resistance to melee damage" is something like 9% and 10% or 9% and 50% is stupid

Yeah definitely give me the numbers if your game wants me to make choices based on them, I hate guessing whether “minor” means 5% or 30%.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I assume the Dark Zone in The Division is balanced around multiplayer? Because I was pretty overwhelmed as soon as I stepped in. I got my rear end kicked by multiple groups of elite enemies. I eventually managed to get some extractions, but it was a whole lot of effort for pretty average loot. I was solo because I think no one in my level range was playing (not surprising given the game’s age).

It was still fun though.

The DZ is most definitely harder than the non-DZ stuff before World Tiers but if you haven’t reached World Tiers yet (I think this happens at level 30 automatically) then each DZ zone has a level range. You might have been going around a higher level zone, or borderline higher level.

There’s sort of a trick to the DZ that can make it easier to get stuff, at least before World Tiers when the entire place gets scaled to your level. The trick is that before world tiers the loot dropped by enemies you kill in a zone will be within the level range of that zone but the loot you get from loot boxes will be matched to your level regardless of what zone you’re in. So you can go into an earlier zone with enemies you out level and hit the loot boxes.

That said it’s probably not worth going into the DZ at all until you start to get purple gear. I think that happens at level 15+. And even then unless you’re trying to do the story missions on the Hard difficulty the first time through you don’t really need good gear. At most what the DZ is good for is to farm stuff to sell so you can buy better gear from the safe house vendors as you level up.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 26, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Also in case it wasn't clear in my last post, the Minor Resistance should always be 15% or whatever, not a random roll. You should be able to see that it's 15% of course, but you're not using that number to compare with other, very similar items. To upgrade from Minor you find one that has Major, and it's always e.g. 30%. I'm not suggesting they make it have unclear mechanics, which would be really bad.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ohh, yeah for sure, having a stat wiggle room from 9% to 12% on a "minor melee resistance" trinket is meaningless busywork, i understand what you were trying to say now

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you can't inherently feel a 3% difference then you need to level up your Gamer Attunement

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's unkind stealing stux's post before he could make it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Volte posted:

Also in case it wasn't clear in my last post, the Minor Resistance should always be 15% or whatever, not a random roll. You should be able to see that it's 15% of course, but you're not using that number to compare with other, very similar items. To upgrade from Minor you find one that has Major, and it's always e.g. 30%. I'm not suggesting they make it have unclear mechanics, which would be really bad.

That's what I suspect the whole Rarity system is here, though. Like that's exactly what I'm saying for why it doesn't seem Diablo/Borderlandsy Looter style with randomly generated modifers (not the numeric value)

I feel like that Morrigan Burst-fire Assault Rifle is always going to have the same 2 mods. But the Common tier, those mods will have X values. Uncommon, Y values. Superior, Z values. Rare, Legendary or whatever they're called - each rarity is "the same but stronger".

Without know what "Petrified" means in the context of the game and how it's applied, all we can do is speculate whether a Flare Gun shattering petrified things faster makes sense or not. I mean, maybe every character has a way of applying Petrified. Like maybe it's a debuff that gets applied where if a certain threshold is met things just instagib. You're shooting rounds into a vampire with your main weapon, oh no gotta reload, better yet instead I'll just swap to my secondary weapon -- my Flare Gun [and now that it has a bonus to shattering petrified things, it shatters that thing I almost finished before needing to reload] :shrug:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 26, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

that's unkind stealing stux's post before he could make it
Stux is busy frothing into a malding rage over Hi-Fi Rush, which he already hates as the village contrarian

he is painting a tunnel on the side of a rock for Hi-Fi Rush fans to run into

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Hi-Fi Rush rules!!!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No way that gun always has the same two mods. If it did they’d just bake that stuff into the stat line.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The 7th Guest posted:

Stux is busy frothing into a malding rage over Hi-Fi Rush, which he already hates as the village contrarian

ironically even though i'm never going to touch it for that grave insult of the first 15 seconds of the trailer my brother did pick it up on game pass and is having a good time with it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I thought the trailer seemed fine and pretty self-aware, it's not like it did the record scratch gag by accident out of sheer lameness. It was a reference.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's one of the funniest games I've played in a long time. The script is sharp and witty and some of the visual gags are great.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all i care about is whether a game is sincere or insincere; whether it is spiteful to the player or itself, or eager for the player to enjoy and engage with the game and its world

i guess you could make a 4 quadrant graph off of that and pin games in various places

so forspoken would be in the insincere + spiteful quadrant, naughty dog games in the insincere + eager quadrant, rain world in the sincere + spiteful quadrant, celeste or mario games in the sincere + eager quadrant

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 26, 2023

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Volte posted:

I thought the trailer seemed fine and pretty self-aware, it's not like it did the record scratch gag by accident out of sheer lameness. It was a reference.

a reference to what

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

a reference to what
The record scratch "you're probably wondering how I got here" meme. Maybe it didn't land for you but it's weird to write off a game because the trailer had that in it

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

I know, I know, I know, it looks like a farming game or some poo poo

But Ova Magic is just such a good name. Like, this is what Witchbrook Academy should have been called

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Volte posted:

The record scratch "you're probably wondering how I got here" meme. Maybe it didn't land for you but it's weird to write off a game because the trailer had that in it

it's the easiest thing in the world not to play a videogame, for any reason, actually

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Volte posted:

is that really a "meme" so much as a tropey joke that is in a lot of 80s-90s fiction

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'd be happy to be wrong, but Redfall looks super disappointing to me, much in the same way that Deathloop did pre-release. The actual gunplay and combat mechanics in Arkane games are never particularly great, and this is a game that seems to be doubling down its focus on combat and being a shooter compared to (pre-Deathloop) older Arkane games. And sure I'd like to think that won't detract from the exploration and world interactivity but... well, it sure did in Deathloop. It also seems to be an open world game which nine times out of ten means less-interesting environments. The guns look very boring and uninspired much like Deathloop. Also it's just a personal taste thing but I hate the art direction in Deathloop and Redfall, I can't put my finger on what differentiates it from Prey and Dishonored but everything in these two newer games looks like it's made out of completely smooth plastic or something. I think it's just the usage of much simpler geometry, maybe as a cost-cutting thing? They remind me of Fortnite.

e: But I know their interactive sim games never sold particularly well so I understand that they've got to find a way to be profitable without big publisher bucks behind them. I hope it's successful whether I like it or not because they generally make neat games :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the art direction definitely feels like it's a step down in redfall, it lacks an identity

and in the footage i watched the combat feedback looked pretty weak :(