Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Sydney Bottocks posted:

While I'd prefer that the guy who made the terrible R&M cartoon wasn't also a domestic abuser sex pest who creeped on teenagers, at least some good has come out of this: per the A.V. Club, apparently Adult Swim is bringing back Aqua Teen Hunger Force. :unsmith:

E: also :lol: at that "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" post

Aqua teen is/was so good, though I don't think I watched all of the later stuff. I hear Carl's voice in my head just thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Crespolini posted:

Aqua teen is/was so good, though I don't think I watched all of the later stuff. I hear Carl's voice in my head just thinking about it.

Like a lot of shows that ran for a long time, a lot of ATHF's later stuff can be cringey at best and just terrible at worst; but even with that, there are some shining gems to be found. In particular, the episode with Meatwad debuting his children's book that features Rocket Horse and Jet Chicken is an absolute masterpiece.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Like a lot of shows that ran for a long time, a lot of ATHF's later stuff can be cringey at best and just terrible at worst; but even with that, there are some shining gems to be found. In particular, the episode with Meatwad debuting his children's book that features Rocket Horse and Jet Chicken is an absolute masterpiece.

david cross as happy time harry.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Crespolini posted:

Carl's voice in my head

it don't matter

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah really makes you poo poo your pants and slap your balls. Hire me Adult Swim I'm not remotely talented or charismatic but women are afraid to be alone with me.

True but one outcome will make me whine about it more and no one wants that.

Thank you for not enjoying an entertainment product. Your sacrifice will surely make the world a better place.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Number one in the hood, G

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
That's actually great news, because Carey Means, the voice of Frylocke, had congestive heart failure last year and he's basically broke and living on the edge. Here's his GoFundMe if anyone is interested:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/catfood-peoplefood-and-bills

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Cartoons don't make any of the people involved any real money, just the executives and, if they were smart at the outset with their contract terms, the creators. The rest of us just age up into careers with no retirement plans and work until death. A large amount of animators, cartoonists and comic book artists die in obscurity with nothing. It's loving sad AF. The support roles get even less.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Cartoons don't make any of the people involved any real money, just the executives and, if they were smart at the outset with their contract terms, the creators. The rest of us just age up into careers with no retirement plans and work until death. A large amount of cartoonists and comic book artists, and all the people who work the support roles, die in obscurity with nothing. It's loving sad AF.

Well I WAS gonna throw him a few bucks until you got all self-pitying.

edit: i gave a few bucks

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 26, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Croker is a great example of that

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Its just how capitalism is. I have seen way too many people who make great work who are marginalized on the edges.

Anyway I hope Justin doesn't get royalties or it'll just be the ol' Chris Savino boogaloo, part deux. It's hard to fully cut someone out if they legally own a portion of the IP.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 26, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nigmaetcetera posted:

lol

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoons don't make any of the people involved any real money, just the executives and, if they were smart at the outset with their contract terms, the creators. The rest of us just age up into careers with no retirement plans and work until death. A large amount of animators, cartoonists and comic book artists die in obscurity with nothing. It's loving sad AF. The support roles get even less.

I seem to remember the creators of south park saying at the start the t shirts made more money

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
pretty much, and that's the creators! for the voice actors and animators, they stop making money the moment they stop animating or recording, which is why signing autographs at shows becomes a Thing VAs Do. Because it's one of the only ways those folks can make money on the popularity their characters they built, there's no royalties, the premise is if a character/voice is popular enough you're getting hired for new roles and that's how it 'pays out' in the long run.

But it's always, always about the next gig, and you're only considered successful if you've always got something lined up. If the work stops coming, you're quickly broke. People will be like, but man I know you from the TV! And yeah. You sure do. Someone else is making bank on that. Anyway, thanks for donating to Frylocke, goon.

EDIT: Oh yeah and just to make it especially thorny, the whole thing can backfire, in that if a character is popular enough in the public consciousness, people might avoid casting you again bc you're always associated with that One Character (think "Party Down" and what happened to Henry).

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 26, 2023

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Beard Dandruff posted:

Thank you for not enjoying an entertainment product. Your sacrifice will surely make the world a better place.

He has the specific type of brain where everything gets mixed up. Roiland committing abuse is bad. Rick endangering his grandson Morty by taking him to the purge planet is bad. Rusty Venture, in a completely unrelated show, is bad for educating his sons by playing them books on tape from the 1950's while they sleep. Blend it all together...

...and when I say I laughed at the cartoon where the wizard yells about how Rusty cloning dead people is infringing on his necromancy gig, well, that's supporting real life spousal abuse. So he leaps up to do battle. Not even the fact that the wizard has a funny voice will stay his hand from striking me down, but I have to be honest; the voice was very funny.

Carlos Lantana posted:

it don't matter

:hai:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

teen witch posted:

As a former teen goth to now adult goth (somehow sadder?), I’ve seen a nonzero shift rightward due to Marilyn Manson’s nonsense as of late.

loving boggles me. The poo poo that came to light wasn't in the "chuddy behavior" circle, it is "imprisonment and sexual abuse and torture".

Mechanical Animals used to be on my "listen for a week straight every year". Poof. I can forgive people lovely opinions up to a point but I've got no time for rapists and torturers. Like, loving duh, why does a context even exist where I have to state this??

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Marilyn Manson is especially sad bc back in the day there was a whole cultural backlack against how he's an evil satanist and alternative culture was all like nuh-uh this is just self-expression he doesn't mean it

then...he did. ugh. JFC Marilyn.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I think the key difference between the Venture Bros and R&M is that in no single VB episode is Rusty Venture portrayed as anything other than a supremely hosed-up human being that nobody should aspire to be like or emulate; whereas Roiland and Harmon were perfectly content to let their fanbase of entitled manchild incels treat Rick as an alpha male role model genius, right up to the point where they were doing stupid poo poo that was getting mainstream media attention (like having meltdowns over Szechuan Sauce at McDonald's), at which point they half-heartedly tried to walk it back (while trying to also not piss off the aforementioned fanbase)

Claiming VB is just as bad as R&M is missing the point so wildly that I have to just assume the poster in question never actually watched a single episode of VB, and is just basing their observation off of Wikipedia episode summaries or something

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think the key difference between the Venture Bros and R&M is that in no single VB episode is Rusty Venture portrayed as anything other than a supremely hosed-up human being that nobody should aspire to be like or emulate; whereas Roiland and Harmon were perfectly content to let their fanbase of entitled manchild incels treat Rick as an alpha male role model genius, right up to the point where they were doing stupid poo poo that was getting mainstream media attention (like having meltdowns over Szechuan Sauce at McDonald's), at which point they half-heartedly tried to walk it back (while trying to also not piss off the aforementioned fanbase)

Claiming VB is just as bad as R&M is missing the point so wildly that I have to just assume the poster in question never actually watched a single episode of VB, and is just basing their observation off of Wikipedia episode summaries or something

yeah, VB definitely has lovely parts but it's one of the few edgy deconstructive adult cartoons that doesn't accidentally (?) make the main character cool enough that dipshits identify with him.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

yeah, VB definitely has lovely parts but it's one of the few edgy deconstructive adult cartoons that doesn't accidentally (?) make the main character cool enough that dipshits identify with him.

Im brock sampson

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rusty sure thinks of himself as a good guy though! There's the episode where Henry Killinger (Kissinger analog) grooms him to become a new villain to arch his brother. He ends up confused that he'd be considered a bad guy and everyone else has great expressions. Brock's grunting sigh there is a great line delivery.

I mean is Rusty so bad? what's the worst thing he did? Used an orphan child to make a holodeck?

To be clear the show tells you he's a bad person every chance it gets.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Jonas is the true villain ofc.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
anytime I need to do something I truly dislike, I gotta eat the pennies

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

MrQwerty posted:

Croker is a great example of that

What now? Curious to hear more

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

N. Senada posted:

he was an early animator for cartoon network/adult swim and was the voice of zorak, moltar, etc. on the original space ghost coast to coast, the proto adult swim show

he got heavily screwed out of getting paid on time and lived fairly modestly as a result, there's a whole article about it here

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/animators/the-legend-of-c-martin-croker-adult-swim-animator-and-voice-actor-162399.html

he died suddenly and untimely, likely of food poisoning. i met him a few times, he had a big collection of old and obscure cartoons and would have sporadic screenings of his collection at a local art cinema. super cool dude and a great guy to know if you wanted to learn more about 20th century american animation

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

N. Senada posted:

He died of a heart attack/food poisoning while his wife was running errands iirc

He was a cool dude, didnt get rich being zorak

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

N. Senada posted:

I don't know the whole story, but the way he put it is he taught animators at adult swim to "drive the bus, and they ran him over with it".

Theres more to it, but the hosed up thing is that he was a important part of making them successful even before adult swim was a thing.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

So true. One of my best friends is talented enough to get to work with some big names in the comic industry, but day to day she still works the same stupid job that I do to pay rent and have healthcare.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It's almost like corporatations are hosed up Morty!

We gotta make a dragon orgy with ourselves it's the only way to land a nat 0

Suck my dick you fuckmans

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
They didn't pay American hero Denver Fenton Allen anything for their appropriation of his course on how to talk to judges.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Analytic Engine posted:

do you think he'll off himself, or Polanski out of the country?

Lol glad someone said it

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It's way more difficult to polanski out of the country these days. On commercial flights anyway, what with all the micro chips and what not. If you got charges pending? poo poo.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ship yourself in an amazon prime crate

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Build a rocket out of a leaky propane tank and a chair.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Crespolini posted:

The first episode I ever saw was the one where he gets the Foreigner belt, and every time I hear anything by/about Foreigner, I immediately think of him. :allears:

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Crespolini posted:

Jonas is the true villain ofc.

Just stating the obvious here, but failure was one of the major themes of earlier seasons. In later seasons Rusty is still a dick, but he does manage to change to a degree. You see him forging a better relationship with his sons, including Dermot, mentoring White and Billy, and being somewhat successful after taking over his brother's company. His dad was a true monster. Rusty isn't Rick, he's more like someone raised by a Rick, or hell taking into account the original team venture, raised by a family of Ricks.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

YeahTubaMike posted:

The first episode I ever saw was the one where he gets the Foreigner belt, and every time I hear anything by/about Foreigner, I immediately think of him. :allears:

You’re a jukebox hero Frylock. You’ve got stars in your eyes.

Hey! Who set this on head games?!

Edit: Those are Loverboy songs Err. And Loverboy has always sucked.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Carlos Lantana posted:

it don't mattah

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

bring back home movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Beard Dandruff posted:

Just stating the obvious here, but failure was one of the major themes of earlier seasons. In later seasons Rusty is still a dick, but he does manage to change to a degree. You see him forging a better relationship with his sons, including Dermot, mentoring White and Billy, and being somewhat successful after taking over his brother's company. His dad was a true monster. Rusty isn't Rick, he's more like someone raised by a Rick, or hell taking into account the original team venture, raised by a family of Ricks.

Yeah, the thrust of the show is that people can get better but life doesn’t set you up to