Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Kennel posted:

The price history says 10 ETH, so... $15 000?

was it $15 000 back then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Durzel posted:

I refuse to actually look at how much he paid for this MSPaint image before it was stolen, or whatever happened.

The more I think about this stuff the more I want to start smashing things up.

The big trick is that computer people with too much money have literally no taste in anything

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

My ROMEO ROSE COIN has been DRAINED!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

An automated system to produce an infinite amount of lgbt+ friendly Donald Trump signatures is a silver lining to crypto I did not expect.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/56leg/1R/bills/SB1235P.pdf

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

LMAO, they bother to pick Bitcoin as the one crypto allowed by the government, but handwave away the Bitcoin blockchain as if there was anything to distinguish it from forks beyond a gentlemen's agreement.

edit: Thinking further about this idiocy: In order to implement this as worded, Arizona would have to either operate a node or designate an existing node as the reference. This would effectively turn that node into a central truth, which is something the Bitcoin protocol is designed to resist. If this sticks, then mining becomes moot. If it doesn't, then all government-approved coins will become worthless overnight sooner or later.

This "make Bitcoin legal" bill seems fundamentally incompatible with Bitcoin at a technical level. Not that this will stop anybody.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 26, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5d9BrLN5K4

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
-Honey, what difference does it make? Just pick a bank and open an account there.
-No! I cannot make an informed decision until I know what their stolen ape policy is, this is important!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

4. Bitcoin

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I can't help but wonder about the inclusion of " 2. SPECIE ISSUED AT ANY TIME BY THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT. "

Are there coins that have been minted by the US government that have had their legal tender status revoked at some point in the past? If so, then why the heck is Arizona getting a bee in their bonnet about that all of a sudden?

edit: vvvvvvvvv

Yeah, I figured it was something along these lines. I know they are stupid dipshits, and I really should ignore them and move on, but still... The idea that a state would accidentally make any commemorative coin containing a spec of silver issued by any federal agency legal tender for the sake of making Bitcoin legal is just :kiss:.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 26, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's not hard to bounce from crypto people to goldbugs and back again, so they're pretty much always going to show up to the same events. In this case, the event was the Arizona legislature.

It's essentially a "I don't trust the gubmint" statement written by people who have no idea about anything.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Aramis posted:

LMAO, they bother to pick Bitcoin as the one crypto allowed by the government, but handwave away the Bitcoin blockchain as if there was anything to distinguish it from forks beyond a gentlemen's agreement.

edit: Thinking further about this idiocy: In order to implement this as worded, Arizona would have to either operate a node or designate an existing node as the reference. This would effectively turn that node into a central truth, which is something the Bitcoin protocol is designed to resist. If this sticks, then mining becomes moot. If it doesn't, then all government-approved coins will become worthless overnight sooner or later.

This "make Bitcoin legal" bill seems fundamentally incompatible with Bitcoin at a technical level. Not that this will stop anybody.

It's everything we've come to expect from these people.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Aramis posted:

I can't help but wonder about the inclusion of " 2. SPECIE ISSUED AT ANY TIME BY THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT. "

Are there coins that have been minted by the US government that have had their legal tender status revoked at some point in the past? If so, then why the heck is Arizona getting a bee in their bonnet about that all of a sudden?

Maybe they want to make it legal for people to still pay in gold certificates if they're so inclined?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

jokes posted:

It's not hard to bounce from crypto people to goldbugs and back again, so they're pretty much always going to show up to the same events. In this case, the event was the Arizona legislature.

It's essentially a "I don't trust the gubmint" statement written by people who have no idea about anything.

The best part is those are inherently the opposite of each other. Some goldbugs are doing it to have their money survive an apocalypse and collapse of modern society, believing the value of gold will survive that. Crypto is extremely frail and can't survive in that situation.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chainclaw posted:

The best part is those are inherently the opposite of each other. Some goldbugs are doing it to have their money survive an apocalypse and collapse of modern society, believing the value of gold will survive that. Crypto is extremely frail and can't survive in that situation.

I'm pretty sure crypto people honestly, truly, 100% believe that crypto will survive the apocalypse lol

It's loving insane that goldbugs are the reasonable ones in any arena

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
legislature of a state that's going to be completely uninhabitable in a few years, addressing the real issues

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Kevin Rose is and always has been a loving annoying dumbass. I'm glad he's getting fleeced.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

jokes posted:

I'm pretty sure crypto people honestly, truly, 100% believe that crypto will survive the apocalypse lol

I wanted to say crypto people can't be that dumb, but they wouldn't be crypto people if they weren't that dumb.

Their ledger based currency that requires a vast network of connected, power hungry computers to be actively crunching data in a way where there's no fracture in the connection and no single entity controls more than 50% of the computer power is definitely going to survive in that apocalyptic world the goldbugs are prepping for.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Speaking of bitcoin as legal tender, how's El Salvador doing nowadays?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

jokes posted:

4. Bitcoin

4. Bitcoin: it's high stakes monopoly for losers.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jokes posted:

Haven't you seen The Book of Eli?
Where Denzel goes into the shop, shopkeeper played by Tom Waits, and hands him a piece of paper with his bitcoin wallet on it.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Haven't you seen The Book of Eli?

No

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fish and chips and dip posted:

Remind me again how the gently caress you can steal an NFT?

You add an entry to a computer database which says a link to a jpg file is now associated with an address whose private key is possessed by someone else.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
also getting bitcoiners to download something that has a virus specially made to steal bitcoins and nfts seems to be the easiest thing on the planet to do

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

Yeah it's funny.

Even the goldbugs who are okay with getting certificates instead of having their own vault could theoretically get their gold in the apocalypse. Theoretically. As in it's physically possible for them to travel cross country trading blowjobs for kerosene to keep their engine running until they reach the warehouse to demand to exchange their certificates for gold bars. Yeah realistically the warehouse would be empty or they'd just get shot by the former security guards, but the gold is a physical thing that would not melt away into thin air.

Bitcoin is like, the apocalypse will wreck industrial society and all relationships and institutions of civilization, but everyone will still have high speed internet and there will be plenty of cheap electrical power for the mining pools

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Boxturret posted:

also getting bitcoiners to download something that has a virus specially made to steal bitcoins and nfts seems to be the easiest thing on the planet to do

i mean they bought into cryptocurrency, they've self selected as fuckin morons already

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Aramis posted:

The US went through a pretty weird set of monetary systems pre-income tax. State specific or even regional currencies weren't uncommon and you'd even have foreign currencies still circulating in old French territories or near the borders. Around the Civil War era things started to get more aligned, especially with soldiers pay being in USD, weapon purchases in USD and reconstruction money being financed with USD. The introduction of the income tax made the US Dollar the only currency that had legitimacy decades later, but at that time there were more places paying in company script than regional currencies. The US treasury has issued a bunch of different types and denominations of currency that are considered legal tender or specie and so those provisions are probably there if someone wants to pay in old gold coins or wooden nickels or something else that predates the modern Treasury system, sort of a protection from those stories about someone getting arrested because they tried to pay with a $3 bill.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

jokes posted:

It's okay because it's likely used to launder money, so he's "paying" $105,000 but he already has a buyer lined up who just sold a bunch of drugs/children/guns or whatever. Don't feel bad because you don't have $105,000, you haven't sold $105,000 worth of drugs/children/guns.

It's (probably) not a speculative investment, money laundering operations only try to appear like speculative investments because then when they "gain" or "lose" money, it's an expected outcome.

He is a "market maker" (in apes, millions of dollars of apes)

As a sophisticated businessman, posting on twitter the details of how you buy stolen goods and how you are mad that it is difficult to resell these stolen goods seems like a good idea

(seriously what is it with cryptobros posting details of their crimes on twitter)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

seems the way a lot of hacks happen is hackers send random "NFTs" that are just smart contract bombs to a person's wallet and if they open it up, their wallet gets hacked. Since everyone's just trying to get money instead of putting resources into security they just go, "whoops that's crypto for ya!" and let people get hacked.

but from reading what the VP of his company said. .. dude just opened some website. dude is not even following general web guidelines

don't care either way for kevin rose. kinda wish it happened to that kevin roose guy instead though.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah it's funny.

Even the goldbugs who are okay with getting certificates instead of having their own vault could theoretically get their gold in the apocalypse. Theoretically. As in it's physically possible for them to travel cross country trading blowjobs for kerosene to keep their engine running until they reach the warehouse to demand to exchange their certificates for gold bars. Yeah realistically the warehouse would be empty or they'd just get shot by the former security guards, but the gold is a physical thing that would not melt away into thin air.

Bitcoin is like, the apocalypse will wreck industrial society and all relationships and institutions of civilization, but everyone will still have high speed internet and there will be plenty of cheap electrical power for the mining pools

no joke, i've seen some coiners insist that they could keep the blockchain going via radio if the internet went away

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Porfiriato posted:

Maybe they want to make it legal for people to still pay in gold certificates if they're so inclined?

That was literally a thing that was going on for a while. Goldbugs would lobby states to declare gold legal tender so they could use these gold debit card things. I guess putting all your wealth into a metal heavier than lead can be inconvenient.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

no joke, i've seen some coiners insist that they could keep the blockchain going via radio if the internet went away

it's just math! they could do it with smoke signals!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Just chisel the records into sandstone and pass the tablets around. Immutable!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
goddamn ape broke my stone tablet with a bone, drat you dirty apes!

(don't tell wife, our entire savings were in stone)

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

The US went through a pretty weird set of monetary systems pre-income tax. State specific or even regional currencies weren't uncommon and you'd even have foreign currencies still circulating in old French territories or near the borders. Around the Civil War era things started to get more aligned, especially with soldiers pay being in USD, weapon purchases in USD and reconstruction money being financed with USD. The introduction of the income tax made the US Dollar the only currency that had legitimacy decades later, but at that time there were more places paying in company script than regional currencies. The US treasury has issued a bunch of different types and denominations of currency that are considered legal tender or specie and so those provisions are probably there if someone wants to pay in old gold coins or wooden nickels or something else that predates the modern Treasury system, sort of a protection from those stories about someone getting arrested because they tried to pay with a $3 bill.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

The really weird thing here is that the bill (and let's be honest, most likely because of incompetence from the writers) explicitly treats specie that has been emitted by the US government as a separate, supplemental, category from tender recognised by that same government. The 3$ bill example should be entirely covered by the later already.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 26, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

*computing hashes mechanically on an Enigma machine* "quick Jonny, put this solution in Morse code and send it out on telegraph and wireless before someone else mines this block!"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Homer of the future is going to travel the world, reciting memorized monkey JPEG ownership tables

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
explaining to lord humungus what he needs to set up so that he can accept cryptocurrency, which is actually way more valuable than gasoline

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It is by will alone I set the Blockchain in motion. It is by the Slurp Juice that apes acquire value, the lips acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set the Blockchain in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Theoretically there are protocols that could maintain the block chain over Ham, but like, even with current regulations and cooperation, sending a small email can be a nightmare, and there's some hams that are very protective of the spectrum independant of government regulation....